• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

But MuseManMike probably wasn't. I can relate to the sentiment. Having someone waiting for you and pointing out stuff can put pressure on you. Luckily, my first playthrough was with inexperienced people and my second with a white cloak. Both playthroughs felt absolutely right.

I understand. My experience was exactly the same as yours. First time had no idea what I was doing. Both me and my companion were newbs. We walked most of the time and missed most of the secrets.

Second time I met a white cloak early on and he showed me all the secrets, got me through all the dangerous areas unharmed and he taught me how to fly. ;_;

I'll do my third playthrough in a week (for the trophy), and this time I'll be the wise one in the white cloak guiding the newb. :D I love this game so much.

Lime

I had a friend over yesterday. He studies films and he is usually pretty critical of games in general, because a lot of them do not seem to take advantage of the medium's strength, while seeming kind of primitive compared to more complex/significant art.

But after giving him the controller to start a new Journey, he was completely mesmerized and had to put down the controller several times throughout the various areas in the game. After finishing the game, he said this was probably the best game he has ever played.

Yoshiya

I finished it for the first time earlier today. I wouldn't change anything, except perhaps to remove the scarf glyphs which feel too much like the sort of empowerment fantasy the game sets out to avoid. Extraordinarily beautiful, I can't wait for the soundtrack's release.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Bought, beat, loved.

That was a magical experience. I'm glad I picked it up.

So is this shorter the second time around or something? I got my girlfriend to play through it and she didn't do any of the
sand surfing in the sunset stuff
. Literally gave her the controller and about 30 mins later she was in the
snow

She mentioned something about a
portal
?

EDIT: I think she's gone to the
hub
as she was playing through on my completed save. Fuuuu

Aesthet1c

So is this shorter the second time around or something? I got my girlfriend to play through it and she didn't do any of the
sand surfing in the sunset stuff
. Literally gave her the controller and about 30 mins later she was in the
snow

She mentioned something about a
portal
?

EDIT: I think she's gone to the
hub
as she was playing through on my completed save. Fuuuu

The beginning of the game, there is a hub like area that has portals to all the chapters. If she played the game using your save it's possible she went through a portal to the later part of the game.

Oh wow...I don't even know what to say expect the game was absolutely amazing, I wet in thinking here was no way it wasn't overhyped but I loved it, a lot

I felt sad when I lost track of my companion at the end...

Tilian

Banned
100% the game. Im done. The magic has worn off, are there any other neat tricks like falling face down?

Have you
climbed the tower without filling the chamber? It's easier to do with another white cloak, and challenging with a red cloak.

1stStrike

Banned
Just beat the game myself. Took me... an hour and a half or so? About that. This was the first game in a while that really evoked an emotional reaction from me. When I was surfing across the sand and all those flying things were around me with the scenery flying by I was genuinely smiling.

Really thought invoking and emotional game. I'm not certain on the replay value, since I'm not a trophy whore or anything, but I feel it's definitely worth at least one more go around. Even if it's a bit expensive for the length, the game was extremely fun and I have no regrets in buying it.

Very rarely do we see a game that is able to capture the spirit so well as this game. I really hope to see some more work from this team, and will whole heartedly recommend Journey to all of my friends.

voodooray

Spoilers I guess, but someone stitched together all of the murals you can discover in the game into a single image:

Scroll: http://imgur.com/lTsFd
Wallpaper (1920x1080): http://imgur.com/Lnf8q
Wallpaper (1920x1200): http://imgur.com/i42Nl

BTW, anyone else come across
the half buried... "something" in the underground area? Its located to the right of the exit/meditation are, just after you slide past the pair of blue light monsters, but before you enter the giant tower area
. There also appears to be a few places to glitch the map in that area if you are a white cloak.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
At some point people start fighting over access to the mountain (the war you see on the scroll)

To me it seemed more like they were fighting over access to lower and lower resources of magic cloth. There is this sequence where two white guys fight over a piece of cloth breaking it in two parts.

It's been a week or so since I've played this game, I'm looking to get my return achievement proper.

I'm a member of
White Cloak
-GAF now! :D

If you journeyed with LancerHaruna, that's me. :) Hope to see some GAFfers on my way to the peak of the mountain.

100% feels so good.

just got mine yesterday.

Now I have fun playing to help people... but I never realized that 'helping' brown/red cloaks might be 'annoying' them instead (see: MuseManMike's post). :(

After beating it the first time, my second playthrough had me working with someone who helped me find (tower spoiler)
the fl0w creature
and various hard to find glyphs. I greatly appreciated it, as I refuse to check YouTube or FAQs for this particular game.
Now I just want to pay it forward and have people stare in amazement at my majestic white cloak! Unfortunately as the days pass I'm running into more white cloaks on my journey.

Lime

Just wanted to remind everyone reading the thread about the impressive experiences people have had playing Journey. These are taken from press trailers, so I hope it's not too spoilery for people who haven't played it yet:

t5ra4jzykkr.gif

29vewygrdk6k.gif

141qij97ekt7.gif

And a big spoiler GIF:

http://www.abload.de/img/ikg39hgma6wze7hjd2.gif

Arsenic

I bought this on release day and finally found the time to play it. I knew what to expect from TGC, but wow at this game. Best experience I've had this generation - short but so sweet.

Playing the game felt like poetry to me, and there were a lot of moments I illegitimately was in awe and smiled and said wow and wanted to call out to someone to see what I was seeing cause I didn't think people cared so much in creating games anymore, honestly.

The music was half the game.

Kudos to the team, former and current members. Seriously this is something to be proud of and I'm sure years from now the game will still feel like a masterpiece.

ScOULaris

For good reason.

Now that I think about it, that makes it pretty clear that you come back as a symbol to help other players, rather than just being reincarnated as a new "person." Let's not forget the shooting star in the second area that becomes a symbol.

It makes a lot more sense in a "circle of life" kind of way too. The main character learns about the mistakes of generations past (through glyphs) and tries to avoid them. Once you've completed your "journey," your essence becomes an aid to the coming generations. Kind of how each generation in life builds upon the knowledge and progress of those that came before it.

Fuckin' awesome. :)

Endo Punk

So I got my
white power robe
on and am
guiding all red robes to their destiny
. Feels good.

Have you
climbed the tower without filling the chamber? It's easier to do with another white cloak, and challenging with a red cloak.
Cool I'll give that a try.

Reikon

Bleh, playing with white robes isn't fun. They all seem to rush.

And I've seen the game on 3 calibrated screens and I'd say the robes are clearly brown. Are the people calling it red sure their screens don't have red push?

vazel

Banned
My plasma does have red push but when viewing screenshots of the game on my IPS LCD with a 96% accurate sRGB colorspace it still looks red.

Mr. Hyde

I just bought and played through it for the first time. My girlfriend was on her laptop with random glances at the game until I was about 20-25 minutes into it. Afterwards, she was glued and she is now playing through it herself. That's the first time she has wanted to play one of my games. Yay for Journey. Beautiful experience.

Tilian

Banned
I just bought and played through it for the first time. My girlfriend was on her laptop with random glances at the game until I was about 20-25 minutes into it. Afterwards, she was glued and she is now playing through it herself. That's the first time she has wanted to play one of my games. Yay for Journey. Beautiful experience.

I had a similar experience with my wife wanting to play after watching me. This was the first time I think she's held a dualshock in her hands. Amazing considering she usually groans when she hears the beep of the PS3 turn on.

Anybody get into the
glitch world and find anything interesting? I did but couldn't really find anything except that huge black wall mound thingy.

ScOULaris

Bleh, playing with white robes isn't fun. They all seem to rush.

And I've seen the game on 3 calibrated screens and I'd say the robes are clearly brown. Are the people calling it red sure their screens don't have red push?
Come on, son. They're red! Look at their color on the glyphs to see how red they are.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just to reiterate what's been said earlier in the thread: If you like this game and its music, you really owe it to yourself to sign up to Austin Wintory's fanbridge. The collection of off-cuts and related tracks he's giving away is fantastic.

A lovely gesture from a *really* talented composer.

Drencrom

Just to reiterate what's been said earlier in the thread: If you like this game and its music, you really owe it to yourself to sign up to Austin Wintory's fanbridge. The collection of off-cuts and related tracks he's giving away is fantastic.

A lovely gesture from a *really* talented composer.

This.

Love the music collection he gave away and can't wait for the complete soundtrack.

Top Bottom