• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey (PS4) Vinyl soundtrack announced

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/04/21/journey-vinyl-and-limited-edition-art-print-revealed/

Ui0Oiix.jpg

Journey Vinyl and Limited Edition Art Print Revealed

Hello again, PlayStation fans! Here at iam8bit, we’re huge fans of Journey. It’s a masterpiece — and we can’t wait to relive its epicness when it arrives on PS4! Last week, I had the pleasure of sharing a behind-the-scenes look at the Hotline Miami 2 Collector’s Edition vinyl, and I’m back today with some very special news about Journey.

The result of a superfun collaboration between PlayStation, Santa Monica Studio, and thatgamecompany, we’re proud to unveil that the Journey soundtrack is getting pressed on vinyl for the very first time! Speaking of firsts, Journey was the first game ever to be nominated for a Grammy Award. That puts the score by Austin Wintory in the same legendary company as composers like Gustavo Santaolalla, Howard Shore, and John Williams. Pretty cool!

Journey Vinyl

We teamed up with acclaimed artist, Mark Englert to create an original album cover that honors the beauty and emotional voyage that players experience during Journey.
iam8bit began 10 years ago as an art show — so naturally, we view EVERYTHING as a canvas, including vinyl records. This set includes two picture discs, featuring unique art on each side (For math junkies, that’s FOUR different sides of visual goodness!). The scarf of the Traveler wraps around the album’s perimeter, creating an almost hypnotic effect as it spins. If you pay close attention to the Traveler’s robe, you’ll notice that the embroidery becomes more ornate as you progress from side A to side D — just like each time you beat the game.

The gatefold jacket opens up to reveal the soundtrack credits, as well as the beautiful ancestor painting seen in the game.
Pre-orders for the vinyl open at 10:00 AM on Thursday, 4/23.

But wait, there’s more!

We know that not everyone has a record player, so we’ve also had the gorgeous cover art EXPANDED into a gigantic 12 x 36-inch screen print that’s just dying to be framed and hung on your wall. (For printing nerds, it features nine colors individually layered atop one another, creating the illusion of a wide spectrum of both texture and tone). We’ve even applied some specialty inks, including pearlescent metallics, which give the sand a stunning, shimmery effect that catches the light in a pretty magical way.

These prints are available in a very limited edition of 350… and come signed and numbered by the artist.

It's gorgeous

Edit: Ignore the PS4 in the thread title...it was in the headline I clicked but obviously a vinyl release has nothing to do with the game platform

rav

Ah, interesting, I might pick this up. I'm still waiting for the PS4 release of the game, I have yet to play Journey other than a brief demo.

hawk2025

Oh my God.

Oh man.

I simply have to have this. With a beautiful picture disc presentation, too, and the quality of the Hotline Miami set, this is an absolute steal.

Alarm set for Thursday.

My only concern would be the audio quality of picture discs.... but then, I can't imagine this is something you would play a lot, if at all.

FireCloud

Played Journey the other night for the first time since 2012. Such a great game! I remembered that I had been wanting to pickup the OST but hadn't done it yet.

I don't have a record player anymore but might consider getting one if I could get those LPs.

hawk2025

My only concern would be the audio quality of picture discs.... but then, I can't imagine this is something you would play a lot, if at all.

Picture Discs are mostly fine, if done correctly. Not quite audiophile grade, but yes, it's more about the art than the ultimate sound quality.

Which, honestly, it's what vinyl is about for me. I have no issues with the compromise to have two beautiful picture discs.

TheBez

Good timing on my part seeing as I just bought a vinyl setup this past Saturday for record store day. I'll definitely be picking this up. Now, to continue my search for the Shatter OST Vinyl..... (If any of you know where/who from I can buy a copy PM me!!!)

hawk2025

Good timing on my part seeing as I just bought a vinyl setup this past Saturday for record store day. I'll definitely be picking this up. Now, to continue my search for the Shatter OST Vinyl..... (If any of you know where/who from I can buy a copy PM me!!!)

And I'm looking for the Retro City Rampage vinyl... it was gone by the time I wanted it :( :(

Picture Discs are mostly fine, if done correctly. Not quite audiophile grade, but yes, it's more about the art than the ultimate sound quality.

Which, honestly, it's what vinyl is about for me. I have no issues with the compromise to have two beautiful picture discs.

Yeah, I'm just always worried about questionable choices for vinyl. Picture discs and see through vinyl is, generally, more likely to have poor sound reproduction. Nothing most people will notice, but sets like these are definitely about the whole package and the price and what you get is beautiful.

Auctopus

Even though I didn't seem to reap the same life-changing experience from this game that everybody else seemed to, the sound track was great and that's a great package. Will most likely buy.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Am I wrong or is Vinyl having some kind of comeback lately?

Certainly looks cool.

Am I wrong or is Vinyl having some kind of comeback lately?

Certainly looks cool.

Vinyl has been making a comeback because people are buying CDs a lot less. CDs were compact, they were portable but not we can fit like a million songs onto a portable device so, for collectors and audiophiles, vinyl makes sense. I buy about 50% of my music on vinyl these days.

Top Bottom