• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JPCSP - Excellent PSP emulation, support improving all the time! |PICS|

NBtoaster

Real pain in the ass to get all this set up, but I finally managed to get Daxter working:

8xAA, no performance problems..

java2012-06-0422-01-4el764.png

java2012-06-0421-59-5v3uet.png

Seik

Banned
I really can't play the emulator fullscreen, the moment I try to upgrade the resolution when I restart the emulator it brings me to a big, black screen of doom where I can't do jack shit.

I tried right click, in case there was some kind of menu that would pop-up, but no.
Alt+Enter doesn't work either.

Anyone tried the first Dissidia? For me in some fights its perfect, in others its like 5FPS, my theory is that the stage is to blame, but maybe it could be something else.

DAYUM at those SC shots.

EDIT: Just tried Mega Man Maverick Hunter X

It works but the videos doesn't and no sound effects.

yN3gh.png

EDIT2: Just tried Final Fantasy, works like a charm!

JE8ar.png

The 3rd Birthday, Crisis Core and Type-0 look fantastic in this, but are they fully playable? I have T3B and CC but have yet to play them, if they are fully playable here I'll go through the hoops necessary to set this up.

Crazy what four years can do to a platform

I see differences in art direction more than I do technological prowess. One game looks like it was done by the Kingdom Hearts team and the other by the Final Fantasy 12 team.

Both have hyper-detailed faces to make up for the fact that both textures and polygon counts on the rest of the body are very low. In the case of Type-0, it actually looks more noticeable in part because of the slightly more realistic style. Her jacket cuffs and buttons are clearly extremely low resolution textures - probably no more than 32x32 in size. Be it Zack's more cartoony art style or an overall increase in texture size but his belt buckle and straps look much cleaner.

No wonder the PSP had dithering. The color banding can be HORRIBLE(example). This isn't like running GCN/Wii games on Dolphin that makes the colors look better without any dithering.

Edit: The sky in the Metal Gear screenshots posted below me has bad banding too.

On that thought, I always wondered why some PSP games had this "animated gif-like dithering"?

Was this forced on all the time? Was/is there any way to turn it off?

I ask because I just got RemoteJoyLite working on my PHAT1001 and its great and all but the dithering is killing my Image Quality (aside from the fact that is seems like RemoteJoyLite has broken pixel scaling).

I've got Peace Walker working on RemoteJoyLite with my analog 360pad, I just want to play Peace Walker without the Dithering mostly...

The 3rd Birthday, Crisis Core and Type-0 look fantastic in this, but are they fully playable? I have T3B and CC but have yet to play them, if they are fully playable here I'll go through the hoops necessary to set this up.

Depends on your PC, but the 3rd bday at least? No. Will drops to <10 when things are happening.

jediyoshi

I see differences in art direction more than I do technological prowess. One game looks like it was done by the Kingdom Hearts team and the other by the Final Fantasy 12 team.

Both have hyper-detailed faces to make up for the fact that both textures and polygon counts on the rest of the body are very low. In the case of Type-0, it actually looks more noticeable in part because of the slightly more realistic style. Her jacket cuffs and buttons are clearly extremely low resolution textures - probably no more than 32x32 in size. Be it Zack's more cartoony art style or an overall increase in texture size but his belt buckle and straps look much cleaner.

It's definitely more deliberately stylized in CC in the game itself, but I imagined that to be a part of the sacrifices in getting it on the PSP. Looking at the cinematic model, the style is much more in line with the realistic look that Type-0 had which then managed to push a closer analogue between the cinematic and ingame models. KH cinematic models on the other hand do keep its stylized look between the games and cg.

RKSQ0.jpg

I've got Peace Walker working on RemoteJoyLite with my analog 360pad, I just want to play Peace Walker without the Dithering mostly...

Peace Walker's dithering in particular was pretty nuts, especially in the hair. It all does just go away though when it scales up

r6IhI.jpg

java-2012-06-02-16-48-44-36.png

so MGS PW can be played on this emulator? I thought the OP said MGS games were unplayable?

Can I import my save, if so what else do i need to know that isn't in the OP to get this all running? :)

jediyoshi

so MGS PW can be played on this emulator? I thought the OP said MGS games were unplayable?

Can I import my save, if so what else do i need to know that isn't in the OP to get this all running? :)

You can import saves, you just copy over the same savadata folder files. PW isn't very playable though, and the like the last shot, the lighting is all broke ]:

So, I just tried dissidia. Doesn't go over 8FPS. What gives?

My PC is pretty decent, I think.

Also I can't seem to change the resolution, it goes into a black fullscreen every time I try to edit anything on the Video section.

Seik

Banned
Just tried Crisis Core. Unfortunately, I can't get the CG cutscenes to run fine. But the ingame cutscenes are fine, fight are going around 20-22FPS wih no AA. Can't wait for this emulator to get better and better, its really full of potential already, love it so far.

cc2c3uav.png

cc19k7ry.png

EDIT: Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles runs pretty darn good, but I didn't play much. More testing to come.

cdxcknely.png

Ledsen

So how do all of these games actually run? I'm on a 2500k@4.5 GHz, but I don't tolerate anything less than full speed. Are any of these games fully playable?

Seik

Banned
So how do all of these games actually run? I'm on a 2500k@4.5 GHz, but I don't tolerate anything less than full speed. Are any of these games fully playable?

I have the exact same thing as you, same OC too, with a 480GTX.

Gotta say it all depends on the settings you want. It depends on the games you want to play too, because this one is far from being as stable as Dolphin or PCSX2, etc. But there seems to be many revisions coming out, just like Dolphin, so I guess (and hope) the emulator will stabilize fast.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Goodness, I'm really impressed with how much detail was put into these games. So much of this is lost by the low screen resolution.

Square really should consider porting Type-0 to the Vita and maybe touching up a few textures. It would still look excellent on that system.

Anyone care to try Goku-makaimura/Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts?

Dunan

You guys running FF Type-0... can someone get a good shot of the big seal on the floor in the main hall of the Peristylium? I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to say something, in an alphabet that they've created, but the resolution on the PSP isn't good enough to make out whatever it is. At a higher resolution...

jediyoshi

3d model texture exporting/importing implemented
now if we could just import higher resolution textures and ones to replace the ui elements

java-2012-06-27-17-33-46-98.png

goober

This is awesome!! My gf just found her PSP and lent it to me for a little.

What's the purpose of custom firmware? Also, she doesn't have a memory stick duo (I think they're called..), is that important?

Is there another thread for this, I'm not so sure I'm on topic, but thanks in advance!

Dwayne

This is awesome!! My gf just found her PSP and lent it to me for a little.

What's the purpose of custom firmware? Also, she doesn't have a memory stick duo (I think they're called..), is that important?

Is there another thread for this, I'm not so sure I'm on topic, but thanks in advance!

Probably better in this thread. Custom Firmware allows you to run homebrew apps, as well as copy UMD games to the memory stick. You can also convert your PSX games to run on PSP. All of these things, along with saving in PSP games, require a memory stick duo. The general recommendation is get a MicroSDHC->Memory Stick Duo adapter and buy MicroSDHC cards, as they're much cheaper.

goober

Probably better in this thread. Custom Firmware allows you to run homebrew apps, as well as copy UMD games to the memory stick. You can also convert your PSX games to run on PSP. All of these things, along with saving in PSP games, require a memory stick duo. The general recommendation is get a MicroSDHC->Memory Stick Duo adapter and buy MicroSDHC cards, as they're much cheaper.

Thanks! Uh, one more question; can you direct me to a cheap adapter online? I found these but I'm not sure they would work?

I checked out the thread you linked and I don't know if the above question would apply there either. I'm sorry o_o

jediyoshi

got obj exportation working. it crashes when i try to export an entire scene but exporting from just the character viewer works fine

3dsfft0.png

You guys running FF Type-0... can someone get a good shot of the big seal on the floor in the main hall of the Peristylium? I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to say something, in an alphabet that they've created, but the resolution on the PSP isn't good enough to make out whatever it is. At a higher resolution...

cloudhb8sv.png

Not sure, these are the only tiles I could find that relate to it. The first 9 are the ground around the center piece, the top right 2 look like they're the ones that make up the center and they just rotate em.

jediyoshi

Apparently it is pretty slow at the moment on a large scale, but it is only new and works well, so there is some good potential especially with some of the already great looking PSP games.

The textures themselves have always exported pretty instantly for me no matter the scene. The obj data is iffy because it doesn't give an indication for if its failed or if its still working despite the game continuing to run.

Top Bottom