• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPSSPP Emulation and Discussion Thread

It's been a while since the thread was bumped, so here we go.

PPSSPP 0.9.8 has just been released.

This release is intended to fix a major issue Xperia devices have with PPSSPP after updating to Android 4.3/4.4.

A new hack, called "Enable Alpha Mask" was also introduced in this release. It "resolves" the rather longstanding "thick blue fog" issue in The 3rd Birthday reintroduced in v0.9.5-858-g10b9e83. Works best with Buffered Rendering.

Some global, minor performance improvements for Android and x86 are also present in this release, plus other assorted fixes.

The rest of the changelog is located here.

As usual, if you're already using the latest bleeding edge buildbot builds from Orphis, the official release is just a formality.

TriAceJP

Great job with the 0.9.8 update!

DanganRonpa plays great for me now. I've been playing it for hours, no issues.

jrbailey

Neo Member
Just an quick video clip of ppsspp on my ipad air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXunvteheTM

Ridge Racer 2 recorder using screen recorder, no audio recording unfortunately. Any choppiness in the video is due to the screen recording software.

Playing with a DS3 controller paired with the cydia app controllers for all.

I've been playing around with it on my android phone, but its a much better experience with the larger tablet screen.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's been a while since the thread was bumped, so here we go.

PPSSPP 0.9.8 has just been released.

This release is intended to fix a major issue Xperia devices have with PPSSPP after updating to Android 4.3/4.4.

A new hack, called "Enable Alpha Mask" was also introduced in this release. It "resolves" the rather longstanding "thick blue fog" issue in The 3rd Birthday reintroduced in v0.9.5-858-g10b9e83. Works best with Buffered Rendering.

Some global, minor performance improvements for Android and x86 are also present in this release, plus other assorted fixes.

As usual, if you're already using the latest bleeding edge buildbot builds from Orphis, the official release is just a formality.

That update also fixed Rhythm 8, which is the coolest god damn shit ever!!!

It let me finish making music using my PC instead of having to stick with an actual PSP. So hype!

Just an quick video clip of ppsspp on my ipad air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXunvteheTM

Ridge Racer 2 recorder using screen recorder, no audio recording unfortunately. Any choppiness in the video is due to the screen recording software.

Playing with a DS3 controller paired with the cydia app controllers for all.

I've been playing around with it on my android phone, but its a much better experience with the larger tablet screen.

Nice. Ridge Racer 2 is an amazing package; all the tracks from the PS1 Ridge Racer games in one!

jrbailey

Neo Member
Nice. Ridge Racer 2 is an amazing package; all the tracks from the PS1 Ridge Racer games in one!

Yeah I love Ridge Racer, played the original PS1 game to death back in the day. This PSP version has the same feel and has more depth to it, with updated visuals. Happy days.

kick51

Banned
i loaded Phantasy Star Portable 2 on my One M8 and nope, touch controls just won't work for this game, ever. I'll have to go through and find some simpler games to run (control wise.) Mega Man Powered Up could be nice, maybe.

kuYuri

I'm trying to play Persona 1 PSP on 0.9.8 and every time I try to load my save, it says "load completed" but then immediately asks "cancel load?" and fails to load the save. I started my save on PSP and want to continue playing it on PPSSPP whenever I'm home by transferring the save over.

Does this happen to anyone else? Most other games that I've tried accepted my saves first created on PSP, but it seems Persona on PPSSPP doesn't like that for me.

Is there a website to see the best settings for certain games?

Im trying to play Stardust but its just not working, nVidia Shield BTW.

The ship and planet seem to be wrongly scaled and the HUD elements are drawn on top of everything while taking up the entire screen.

ILoveBish

I finally got around to trying this on the Dell Venue 8 Pro, a lot of games are working full speed (including surprisingly soul calibur) but a lot are not (outrun). Are there recommended settings to use? Im using the newest nightly from the build bot. Overall it is incredibly impressive, but stuff like Powerstone 1 runs at 50fps and it is so close to full speed, would love to get it there without any frameskip.

I finally got around to trying this on the Dell Venue 8 Pro, a lot of games are working full speed (including surprisingly soul calibur) but a lot are not (outrun). Are there recommended settings to use? Im using the newest nightly from the build bot. Overall it is incredibly impressive, but stuff like Powerstone 1 runs at 50fps and it is so close to full speed, would love to get it there without any frameskip.

Welcome to the wonders of PSP emulation!

Have a look at this comprehensive performance guide that I wrote up sometime ago on the ppsspp.org forums that'll help you get the best out of your machine for this emulator.

Also remember that different games may have different target framerates on the PSP. Not all games run at 60 FPS, and the emulation adapts accordingly. What's important is to check that you're getting 100% (30/30 or 60/60 etc) with the FPS counter enabled.

Kinda odd though, if you can get 100% in SoulCalibur, Powerstone shouldn't be any slower, it's less demanding than SoulCalibur, iirc.

Outrun is one of those games that fluctuates between 30 and 60 FPS in game, and that is how it functioned on the PSP as well, with a variable framerate.

ILoveBish

Welcome to the wonders of PSP emulation!

Have a look at this comprehensive performance guide that I wrote up sometime ago on the ppsspp.org forums that'll help you get the best out of your machine for this emulator.

Also remember that different games may have different target framerates on the PSP. Not all games run at 60 FPS, and the emulation adapts accordingly. What's important is to check that you're getting 100% (30/30 or 60/60 etc) with the FPS counter enabled.

Kinda odd though, if you can get 100% in SoulCalibur, Powerstone shouldn't be any slower, it's less demanding than SoulCalibur, iirc.

Outrun is one of those games that fluctuates between 30 and 60 FPS in game, and that is how it functioned on the PSP as well, with a variable framerate.

Yes, it is a bit bizarre, i would have thought soul calibur would be super slow but it runs flawless. Outrun i tried out a bit more, and as you get more into the race, the framerate runs at a smooth 60fps. It at times lags out, sometimes it doesn't. Very odd. Also, a lot of games have a lot of flickering. I've bookmarked your guide and will be going over it after i finish up what i have to do today. Thanks, and im sure ill be back with more questions.

Labadal

Have there been any reports of anyone playing and completing Type-0 in PPSSPP?

I haven't completed it, but what I did play works perfectly fine.

I guess reports will come in in the next few weeks now that the translation patch is ready for release tomorrow.

I guess there is only one way to find out for sure. The compatibility list says it's playable.

I haven't completed it, but what I did play works perfectly fine.

I guess reports will come in in the next few weeks now that the translation patch is ready for release tomorrow.

Have there been any reports of anyone playing and completing Type-0 in PPSSPP?

We've spent the last couple of months ironing out most of the in game graphical quirks that the game had in older versions.

While the game itself is listed as playable, PPSSPP did not emulate some of the graphical aspects of the game accurately. E.g. The shadows were white/grey in colour instead of being black, and certain zones did not have the right colour palette.

These, amongst others, have been fixed in the latest buildbot dev versions, which will hopefully be rolled up into an official release (0.9.9) sometime this month.

Aeana

I understand that the game appears to work well when played from the beginning now. I was just wondering if there was any verification that the game is completable in the emulator. Which I guess the answer is no at this point.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Anyone have this particular issue recently? I get sent to the "Upgrade to gold" page on Firefox constantly. I'm on Windows.

I play in fullscreen so then I see the taskbar and then when I get out of fullscreen I see all these tabs. What's going on. I understand that they want to get money, but that's really strange.

Anyone have this particular issue recently? I get sent to the "Upgrade to gold" page on Firefox constantly. I'm on Windows.

I play in fullscreen so then I see the taskbar and then when I get out of fullscreen I see all these tabs. What's going on. I understand that they want to get money, but that's really strange.

That is strange and highly irregular behaviour indeed. I'll see whether I can reproduce it on my end.

Can you say roughly when this started to happen for you? It'd be great to know exactly which build is responsible for this anomaly.

You are using the latest builds from the buildbot, yes?

EDIT:- I can't reproduce the behaviour.

This is what I did:-

1. Started PPSSPP (using the latest buildbot revision, v0.9.8-1618-g9581de4)

2. Entered fullscreen using the F11 key

3. Launched a game.

4. Got out of fullscreen using the F11 key again

5. Closed the game via Ctrl-W shortcut.

6. Not seeing any new tabs created in my default Internet Browser (Firefox)

It might be a misspressed key on your end, looking forward to your feedback.

have they ever, or will they ever be able to sort the character pop through on Star Ocean 1+2?

I haven't tried using this since a really early build and i could never get it to work, really bugged me how you'd walk behind scenery and be shown through it

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
That is strange and highly irregular behaviour indeed. I'll see whether I can reproduce it on my end.

Can you say roughly when this started to happen for you? It'd be great to know exactly which build is responsible for this anomaly.
I was using the current 0.9.8 version. I can't say how to reproduce it because it just started happening.

After that I got annoyed and decided to download a nightly build, which didn't have the issue.

Played #PeaceWalker and #Persona3Portable because of #PPSSPP. Awesome stuff.
You know this isn't Twitter, right? :p

have they ever, or will they ever be able to sort the character pop through on Star Ocean 1+2?

I haven't tried using this since a really early build and i could never get it to work, really bugged me how you'd walk behind scenery and be shown through it

Every time I've tried to play the SO games, the screen just turns black after viewing a few text boxes.

I was using the current 0.9.8 version. I can't say how to reproduce it because it just started happening.

After that I got annoyed and decided to download a nightly build, which didn't have the issue.

You know this isn't Twitter, right? :p

I'd recommend that you use the rapidly updated nightly builds for now anyway, the last official version (0.9.8) is really outdated. They're reasonably safe for daily use.

We're actually long overdue for a brand new official release (0.9.9) which is supposed to be out last month, but our main dev (Henrik) is rather busy at the moment with rl stuff so the release date has been pushed back further.

This should be fixed in the latest nightly revisions.

Im_Special

What's new in 0.9.9

• CLUT (paletted) texturing from framebuffers supported, fixing many graphical issues like the shadows in Final Fantasy: Type-0.
  • More types of framebuffer copies are now handled correctly, fixing a variety of graphical issues, like the sun in Burnout and many more.
  • Better savedata compatibility with the real PSP.
  • Support for more codecs used by "Custom BGM" and sometimes regular music in games: MP3, AAC.
  • PMP video format support.
  • Implemented some strange blending modes like ABSDIFF as shaders, fixing the outlines in DBZ Tag Team and more.
  • Emulation of the vrot CPU instruction improved - it caused cracks in FF3 graphics before.
  • Many bugfixes around the UI, touch D-pad now works better when scaled large.
  • Workaround implemented to support Star Ocean's stencil trickery as efficiently as possible on all platforms.
  • Major corrections to module loading and memory management, fixing further games.
  • Bulgarian and Thai language translations were contributed.
  • Many, many more game fixes and bug fixes.
Looks like a new release is today, as of literally right now the download to v0.9.9 isn't up on their site just yet, but its only a matter of time as it gets updated. Get Hyped!

Im_Special, you just couldn't wait, could you? :D

Here's what I (as a member of the dev team) intended to post when 0.9.9 went up on the main page. You can already get it here though.:-

After 4 long months, PPSSPP 0.9.9 has just been released!

This release is quite a radical one, incorporating a few major graphical features to improve the overall graphical fidelity of many games and resolving glitches in many of them.

Two new graphical features are of particular significance:-

1. Simulate Block Transfers (User configurable in the Settings, enabled by default)

Designed to be a lightweight alternative to the Read Framebuffers to Memory (RF2M) modes in games that require them. Can be always enabled since the performance hit is imposed as required on a per game basis as compared to the RF2M modes which imposed a global perfomance hit. Examples of games that require this include Ys Seven, and Soul Calibur.

2. CLUT (paletted) texturing from framebuffers (always enabled)

Fixes the white shadows in FF Type 0 and a while lot of other graphical effects in a variety of games.

We've also added the option for users with lower end devices to disable costly graphical effects (Disable slower effects (speedup)) for added performance, at the cost of a severe hit to graphical accuracy. Only to be used as a last resort.

In the audio department, we added support for Custom BGMs in games that have them and introduced a hack to deal with the improper MP3 audio playback in certain games (e.g. DOA Paradise)

The audio timing in sensitive rhythm based games like the Project Diva series (1,2 and Extend) and Patapon has also been improved. This also fixes the crackles and pops during the certain sequences in specific games. (e.g. Reading savedata in Monhun Freedom Unite for example and when exiting and entering residences in Brave Story New Traveller)

Overall, I would say that the team focused on the accuracy and bugfixing portion of the emulation with this release. Performance has taken a minor hit in a number of games (e.g. Ridge Racer 2, Tactics Ogre) in the process, but that is a necessary price to pay for this progress. There is definitely something for everyone in this official release, especially if you haven't updated since the release of 0.9.8.

SerTapTap

Wait wait wait Patapon is improved? Is it playable yet? Was my biggest gripe in PPSSPP, I've got perfect beat in Patapon 2&3 on PSP/Vita hardware but I was lucky if I could get a single order in emulated. Anyone try it yet?

SerTapTap

Can't try it for 7 more hours but I'll try it tonight. Would be impressed it it works, timing is just about the last thing emulators get right, if ever.

Begaria

Awesome. I've been waiting on the .9.9 release. I've stepped away from PSP emulation for a little while so I skipped by .9.7/.9.8, but I'll be looking at getting back into some PSP gaming with this release.

Wait wait wait Patapon is improved? Is it playable yet? Was my biggest gripe in PPSSPP, I've got perfect beat in Patapon 2&3 on PSP/Vita hardware but I was lucky if I could get a single order in emulated. Anyone try it yet?

Can't say for Patapon right now but MGS:pO had terrible latency in earlier builds but it's much much better in newer builds.

Dsyndrome

Great to hear, thanks for all the hard work! The emulator allows me to play Crisis Core even though I lost my PSP early last year, game's just been sitting there looking at me in my rack at home.

Was it bad in 0.9.8? I remember getting a massive improvement on my Note II when I upgraded to 0.9.8. I could actually play on Normal.

SerTapTap

Was it bad in 0.9.8? I remember getting a massive improvement on my Note II when I upgraded to 0.9.8. I could actually play on Normal.

What settings are you using? I'm on PC though. It's playable but impossible to get perfect beats for me right now in 0.9.9. Better than unplayable but not suitable for high level play and I'm at the endgame anyway. I occasionally hit a perfect beat, but always on accident, the audio cue or input is off.

Tried all the audio latency stuff, turned off all graphic enhancements, enabled/disabled "timer hack". I noticed FPS sometimes goes to 31 or 32, that doesn't have anything to do with it does it?

Edit:

Unrelated, getting a weird timing/input bug in Mega Man Maverick Hunter X. There is input lag...but only from the standing idle to left/right walk. From stick or d pad. Everything else feels perfect, but there's like 2-4 frames where X just stands there. I'm currently stuck in them iddle of a Killzone Mercenary mission so I can't test on original hardware, but I've beaten the game and I'm almost sure it didn't do that. That's a weird one.

Second Edit: Er nope, the actual game just does that on real hardware. Weird, but Capcom's fault not PPSSPP.

How do you get the games upscaled in "HD"? I have a PSP but the battery life is so bad I don't even bother using it anymore lol. Would be cool to see how the games look in HD

Top Bottom