• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPSSPP Emulation and Discussion Thread

Alric

Anyone get Jeanne D' Arc to run above 20fps? I'm playing on the Nvidia Tablet and if I set frameskip to 4, it corrects the sound and the game runs good enough but I want to get up to at least a stable 30fps. Every other game i've run so far with ver. 1.0 has been amazing though.

Rufus

20fps at what emulation speed? If it's actually at 100% emulation speed that might just be the game, even on real hardware.

Kamaji

I'm not sure how to phrase this as to not sound overly stupid. I'm thinking of running Persona 3 Portable through this emulator and I have the following options.

13.3" laptop w/ 1366x768 screen, I5 3230M w/ Intel 4000 HD iGPU
42" TV w/ 1080p screen connected to i5 4460 w/ R9 280 GPU.

What would any of you recommend? I have a feeling it will look less horrible on a smaller screen but since the GPU is better on my desktop it could maybe compensate with higher upscaling settings?

Either one is good, but the desktop is what you want if you want it to look the best. The laptop might be able to run games at 2x upscaling, AA, and texture filtering, but I'm not sure.

_Ryo_

It should work on the Laptop fine. If not on Windows then definitely on Linux. You'll have to use PPSSPP 1.0 or later though for Windows, I think.

54-46!

I've been playing a bit of MHP3 on this thing, runs very well!

What kind of render and post-processing settings do you recommend for that game?

I've been playing a bit of MHP3 on this thing, runs very well!

What kind of render and post-processing settings do you recommend for that game?
That depends on your hardware. If you've using a desktop with a beefy GPU, you can do some intense stuff. If you're on a laptop or tablet, it really depends on what hardware is built in.

Is there any way to run Portable Ops at a better framerate? I was thinking to play it again but it was rough on PSP and while the resolution is better, the constant 20fps still hurts in PPSSPP.

oldmario

Is there any way to run Portable Ops at a better framerate? I was thinking to play it again but it was rough on PSP and while the resolution is better, the constant 20fps still hurts in PPSSPP.

there was a thread full of 60fps cheat codes on the ppsspp forums i'll try find it for you if i can remember where it is

Oemenia

Banned
Need some help, anyone here used 60 FPS patches? Im trying to get MGSPO to play in 30/60 FPS. I put in the codes into the cheat file and have ticked the boxes as well as enabled cheats, however the game still runs at 20.

Anyone have any ideas as to why?

Edit: NVM, used the codes posted above and it works perfectly. BTW how does it play at higher framerates, does it cause any issues?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Need some help, anyone here used 60 FPS patches? Im trying to get MGSPO to play in 30/60 FPS. I put in the codes into the cheat file and have ticked the boxes as well as enabled cheats, however the game still runs at 20.

Anyone have any ideas as to why?

Edit: NVM, used the codes posted above and it works perfectly. BTW how does it play at higher framerates, does it cause any issues?

Apparently 60fps gets buggy, but getting it to 30 it runs well without many issues.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Seems reasonable. Do you have an opinion on the game, especially in comparison to PW?

I don't have any personal experience with it no. I just read about the framerate unlock at some point and looked it up again for the post.

Raysoul

Hello guys.

I'm planning to buy a Sony Z3 Compact phone, and I'm wondering if I can install this emulator without rooting/jailbreaking the phone. Also, can you confirm if I can install other emulators on this phone? Thanks!

heringer

Seems reasonable. Do you have an opinion on the game, especially in comparison to PW?
Eh, it's ok. Not even close to Peace Walker, which already is a low tier MGS game.

Hello guys.

I'm planning to buy a Sony Z3 Compact phone, and I'm wondering if I can install this emulator without rooting/jailbreaking the phone. Also, can you confirm if I can install other emulators on this phone? Thanks!

Yes you can. No root required. Same for other emulatores like Drastic (DS).

Anyone know how to force AA, maybe through drivers? I can run full speed at 10x rendering with no issue, but it doesn't downsample--it looks the same as 1080p 1:1, including full-on aliasing. I've gotten so accustomed to absolutely breathtaking image quality in Dolphin and PCSX2...

Edit: Well, FXAA's available, and I suppose it's better than nothing. :/

oldmario

1.1 is out
Support for ARM64 on Android, for improved performance on new devices. Has some new optimizations.
Support Android TV, like nVidia Shield TV
Screen rotation on PC, useful for vertical games like Star Soldier
Many minor performance improvements and compatibility bug fixes
GPU emulation fixes like correct depth rounding, fixing text in Phantasy Star
Other graphical fixes like UV rotation
Support savestates for homebrew apps
Simple integrated "Homebrew Store" to download PSP homebrew apps
Minor AdHoc multiplayer improvements. Still many issues left.
Disable a dangerous optimization on ARM, causing walk-through-walls in Tenchu
sceAtrac music compatibility fixes, fixing noise in a few games
Better texture scaling performance
Direct3D closer in features to OpenGL
Works better on BSD operating systems
Savedata management UI

PGamer

fucking juniors
PPSSPP 1.1.1 is now out.

Download: http://www.ppsspp.org/downloads.html

October 12, 2015: PPSSPP 1.1.1 has been released!

Fixes a few crash bugs in 1.1.

• Fixed new crash in Persona and other games on ARM64, like Galaxy S6
  • Fixed crashes when trying to launch web browser when not present on Android, like on Android TV
  • Fix crash in games that used "depal" functionality (OpenGL)
  • Fixed rounding mode problems in the JITs
  • Fix crash when loading savestates many times, and savestate compatibility on Android-x86
  • Fix minor glitch in Ridge Racer

Teppic

I tried this emulator for the first time recently. Pretty awesome to play Wipeout Pulse in 60 fps and 4x resolution and AA. Look really good in fullscreen.

Have to see if I can get multiplayer to work.

kagamin

I've gotten Project Diva Extend to work great on this, haven't gotten any Perfects yet but the game runs so well I wouldn't be surprised if I get one by practicing enough.

I tried this emulator for the first time recently. Pretty awesome to play Wipeout Pulse in 60 fps and 4x resolution and AA. Look really good in fullscreen.

Have to see if I can get multiplayer to work.

If you ever get your hands on the Rift in the future...you NEED to try it! It's pretty fucking incredible.

PantsuJo

Is there a GAFfer that tried to run the emulator on a Minix or other Windows mini PCs? (or Bay Trail tablets, for example)...
What about frame rate and fixes?

Wonko_C

I've gotten Project Diva Extend to work great on this, haven't gotten any Perfects yet but the game runs so well I wouldn't be surprised if I get one by practicing enough.

What settings do you use? It has always felt unplayable to me due to input lag, and different settings give me different amounts of lag, but never consistent enough to be enjoyable.

Has anyone here tried a DJMAX Portable game on one of the latest android versions?

I ordered myself an usb otg cable so I can pair my dualshock 3 with the xperia z1.

Hoping DMP is playable.

PGamer

fucking juniors
PPSSPP 1.2 is now out.

February 14, 2016: PPSSPP 1.2 is out!

As usual, a ton of fixes and improvements:

• A major rework of sceAtrac audio decoding, fixing various music hangs and similar issues
  • Many fixes and workarounds to depth and stencil buffer usage, and also FBO management
  • Audio reverb support
  • Combo keys - custom touch buttons that press multiple PSP buttons
  • 5xBR upscaling on GPU (postprocessing effect)
  • Fix problems with playback of video with mono audio
  • Performance improvements like multithreaded audio mixing
  • ARM64 JIT crash bug fixes
  • GLSL shader cache to reduce stuttering ingame
  • Support render-to-CLUT functionality that some games use to change colors of various monsters
  • x86-64 support on Android
  • Auto-hide on-screen controls after a while of no usage
  • Fixes to prescale UV speedhack, now seems reliable
  • Faster ISO RAM cache
  • New UI for moving around the PSP display on larger screens
  • Minor UI fixes like better slider controls
  • Assorted stability fixes (ffmpeg crash, etc)
  • Volume setting is back
  • Preparations for supporting more graphics APIs
  • AdHoc port offset
  • Support another HD remaster (Sora no Kiseki Kai HD)

Anyone get Jeanne D' Arc to run above 20fps? I'm playing on the Nvidia Tablet and if I set frameskip to 4, it corrects the sound and the game runs good enough but I want to get up to at least a stable 30fps. Every other game i've run so far with ver. 1.0 has been amazing though.

Jeanne D'Arc is the one game I just can't get to run well in this emulator, at least on any of my Android devices.

Locuza

The Xbox 360 emulator xenia started exploring Vulkan:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=195692045&postcount=403

The DX12 backend for Dolphin got merged for 5.0:
https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3364

And PPSSPP also does some preparations towards Vulkan:
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/commit/868418062081ec94daac57116321c6e5203df9d6

The PS3 emulator RPCS3 is using DX12 for quite a while and is in active development:
https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/commits/master

And beside all of this the PS1 emulator epsxe got an update to Version 2.0:
http://epsxe.com/

And the PS2 emulator looks active again.

Wow, everything looks healthy and still improving nicely.

PGamer

fucking juniors
PPSSPP 1.2.2 is now out.

February 14, 2016: PPSSPP 1.2 is out!

• Went back to the old way of initializing graphics on Android. Should fix many recent issues.
  • Some graphical fixes, a vertex cache performance improvement and a screen clear optimization
  • Fix for dual source blending on most SHIELD devices, causing graphical issues.
  • Fix the homebrew store incorrectly unzipping some games. This will lead to more games being added.
  • Slightly faster ISO handling

I don't remember if I was even able to clear Parappa's first level the last time I tried it, because the timings for the PSP version are all messed up compared to the PS1 version.

cyborg009

Banned
Did anyone here get hot shots tennis multiplayer working? it just crashes the emulator for me.

I don't remember if I was even able to clear Parappa's first level the last time I tried it, because the timings for the PSP version are all messed up compared to the PS1 version.

Yea I couldn't even do it on the actual PSP version.

Young Magus

Can I get psn games to work with this? Got the DL version of Sora no Kiseki The 3rd and wondering if it can work (dl and the game in general)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hi guys, can someone PLEASE let me know how Ys Seven is running in Windows on the latest build? Any crashes, freezes or game breaking bugs? I'm debating whether I should play it or skip it. I really would love to play the game but not if it's plagued with problems or can't be completed to the end. I have a fairly fast Windows 7 machine:

OS- Windows 7 x64bit
CPU - Intel Devils Canyon 4790k @ 4.6Ghz
GPU - Nvidia Geforece FTW 980Ti
Ram - 32gb DDR3 Ram
2TB HDD

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hi guys, can someone PLEASE let me know how Ys Seven is running in Windows on the latest build? Any crashes, freezes or game breaking bugs? I'm debating whether I should play it or skip it. I really would love to play the game but not if it's plagued with problems or can't be completed to the end. I have a fairly fast Windows 7 machine:

OS- Windows 7 x64bit
Ram - 32gb DDR3 Ram
2TB HDD

???

OS- Windows 7 x64bit
Ram - 32gb DDR3 Ram
2TB HDD

Try it and let us know.

Tesseract

Banned
i'm very much proud of my little contributions, Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins for everybody !

geez it's been 2 years, what a monstrous community effort

isamu

Try it and let us know.

Im in about 20 minutes and so far no problems. But I would hate to keep playing Ys 7 knowing there's a potentially game breaking bug waiting for me at the end.

bomblord1

Banned
So I don't know if anyone knows this and I came across it almost by accident.

You can actually download your digitally owned PSP games to your PC straight from Sony and use them in the emulator without ever touching a PSP. I was actually looking into getting a cheap PSP just to mod and rip games with until I found this out.

jombag

You can actually download your digitally owned PSP games to your PC straight from Sony and use them in the emulator without ever touching a PSP. I was actually looking into getting a cheap PSP just to mod and rip games with until I found this out.

Nice! so does that mean I can play it on my phone too?

Nice - how do you go about doing this? Is it just a matter of moving everything via the Content Manager?

bomblord1

Banned
Nice - how do you go about doing this? Is it just a matter of moving everything via the Content Manager?

Download the Sony Media Go App from here. Once downloaded go to "Store" on the top left corner and choose "Downloads" it will ask you to sign into your PSN account here. After signing in you'll have a list of your digital PSP games. Click "download" on the one you want. This will download the file. Once completed right click on the item and then click "explore" and then from there right click again and choose open the containing folder to get the file location. You should see a .pkg file for your game. Get the .pkg file and move it to wherever you prefer (or keep it there it doesn't really matter you just need to know where it is).

Now PPSSPP can't use the file in this form as it's encrypted as a form of copy protection and was only meant to be able to be unencrypted during the transfer process to the PSP with Sony's tools. However someone was able to create an extractor for it that converts the file into a .iso that PPSSPP can use. The only working one I found was here.

Download the latest version tool linked above and launch it. Drag and drop the .pkg file into the extractor (make sure PSP is checked) and choose extract to get the file and finally open it in PPSSPP.

All in all it's basically a 2 step process download -> extract and you have your legally purchased PSN games right there on your computer for use with PPSSPP (or transfer them to your phone or whatever)

Nice! so does that mean I can play it on my phone too?

I don't see why not it's just a standard .iso file

Top Bottom