• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judge sides with YouTubers Ethan and Hila Klein (h3h3) in copyright lawsuit

Pixels

https://youtu.be/9eN0CIyF2ok

EDIT:

H3H3 is a channel on YouTube.
They made this reaction video: https://youtu.be/CXUs5FOo-JE
They were sued on 3 counts by the original video creator.
They won the lawsuit after after a year and a half.

Mod edit, because ain't nobody got time for this shit:
https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/23/j...rs-ethan-and-hila-klein-in-copyright-lawsuit/
Ethan and Hila Klein, the husband-and-wife team behind the popular H3H3 YouTube channel, appear to have won their legal battle against Matt Hosseinzadeh, a.k.a. Matt Hoss. A New York judge today issued a summary judgement in favor of the Kleins.

The basic legal question was whether the Kleins’ creation of a reaction video that included clips of Hosseinzadeh’s content counts as fair use. In this case, Judge Katherine B. Forrest ruled that it does.

“The key evidence in the record consists of the Klein and Hoss videos themselves,” Forrest writes. “Any review of the Klein video leaves no doubt that it constitutes critical commentary of the Hoss video; there is also no doubt that the Klein video is decidedly not a market substitute for the Hoss video. For these and the other reasons set forth below, defendants’ use of clips from the Hoss video constitutes fair use as a matter of law.”

However, Forrest emphasizes that this isn’t meant to be a blanket defense for all reaction videos. She notes that while some of these videos mix commentary with clips of someone else’s work, “others are more akin to a group viewing session without commentary.”

“Accordingly, the Court is not ruling here that all ‘reaction videos’ constitute fair use,” she says.

Is there like a bullet point summary that can explain this to the uninitiated that can't watch 30 minutes worth of video right now?

Sort of like an OP or something?

shoelacer

Banned
Is there like a bullet point summary that can explain this to the uninitiated that can't watch 30 minutes worth of video right now?

They made fun of a dude on youtube, showed clips from his channel, he sued them for using his shit, they won

Fat4all

Banned

Ethan and Hila were being sued by someone they did a reaction video on, a video that was pretty clearly within the realms of 'free use'.

It's cost them a good bit of money, iirc.

Fat4all

Banned
Good for them personally I guess, but I was hoping to see the fallout thoughout YouTube if they lost.

That's kinda happening already with the way Youtube has changed their advertising payouts. People are either adapting or dipping into their 'communities' through patreon and the like.

I too enjoy it when 3 hydrogen molecules bonded together achieve victory.

Edit: Oh this. Glad they won against the copyright stuff. That was BS.

rjc571

Banned
Is the reporter who they falsely accused of fabricating a news story about youtube ads running on racist videos going to sue them? Cuz he actually has a case.

Ozigizo

He's still a piece of shit, but ok. Let's not forget this is the guy that tried pushing the fake news narrative.

This feels like Hogan all over.

Is this a channel dedicated to YouTube drama? I see it on the frontage of Reddit occasionally, and I'll click on it sometimes, but I don't get it.

Seesaw15

Is this a channel dedicated to YouTube drama? I see it on the frontage of Reddit occasionally, and I'll click on it sometimes, but I don't get it.

Youtube drama/soapboxing. It used to be pretty fun comedy channel but it kind of went off the rails.
#Pewdiepiedidnothingwrong

Not really. They address big names and their videos, big issues, but it's not dedicated to drama like so many bullshit channels. They do skits, opinion pieces, riff off other videos, and more stuff for comedic value. They're a super-likable couple so that helps.

Fat4all

Banned
Ethan did nothing wrong

he's done enough wrong for me to not follow his content anymore

i don't mind if other still do (as I hear they make some decent content still), but to say Ethan did nothing to deserve some criticism is a bit disingenuous

but that's not really what this thread is about

this is a big victory for 'fair use', if they would of lost it there's a chance it could of set a president for thousands of other lawsuits, and could of seriously damages 'fair use'

Top Bottom