• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judge sides with YouTubers Ethan and Hila Klein (h3h3) in copyright lawsuit

Euphor!a

Banned
You didn't even acknowledge it. I don't even think you read what I posted. He attempted to play it off as a "gaff."

You provided nothing new to what you said. Just that his apology wasn't a real apology, which guess what, I already responded to.

Euphor!a

Banned
You have provided nothing to prove it was genuine beyond a few shit posts.

I have no interest in 'proving' it was genuine lol, I couldn't even if I wanted to. The only person that knows if an apology is genuine or not is the person giving it and anyone who thinks they know better is full of shit.

Ozigizo

I have no interest in 'proving' it was genuine lol, I couldn't even if I wanted to. The only person that knows if an apology is genuine or not is the person giving it and anyone who thinks they know better is full of shit.

🙄

So, tell me this: should Ethan hold any blame for what his community did?

Valentus

this h3h3 people seems to be very scummy really.

I want to notice this in the judge sentence:

However, Forrest emphasizes that this isn’t meant to be a blanket defense for all reaction videos. She notes that while some of these videos mix commentary with clips of someone else’s work, “others are more akin to a group viewing session without commentary.”

“Accordingly, the Court is not ruling here that all ‘reaction videos’ constitute fair use,” she says.

Basically, 99% of wrestling and Game of Thrones videos xD

Well, fair use wins, thats what matters.... even if the winners looks like that are pieces of crap...

About the nazi people.... i really cant understand how you can have people in your country that worships an ideology that tried to destroy your country completely 60 years ago... i really cant understand that.

Flo_Evans

That's why his subreddit is basically kotakuinaction.

Yeah, ok.

I have no idea what this is supposed to even mean.

Can people just speak English? Are you trying to insinuate not only must Ethan be 100% pure, everyone of his friends and peers must be pure, and all of his fan subreddits? Like this is insane.

I'm not even a subscriber, I was researching vaping on YouTube to quit smoking and his "vape nation" video came up. It was hilarious. I watched a few more where he calls out other channels for being racists and sexist. Then one where he wore 1000 shirts to a grocery store.

I don't even really go to reddit (I did find some cool vaping subs there).

So no, I haven't checked out his fan subreddit and cross-referenced it with some other subreddit I've never heard of. Who the hell does that?

pestul

Well now I know what time the apologists come out on GAF wow..

The entire "apology" video was a complete travesty and barely cooled the flames of the misguided attackers. People with foggy memories of it should really go back and read the original thread, but somehow I doubt that would change their opinions.

Ne0n

Banned
Oh boy, when's the last time you looked at their community?

haha is this the same Einchy from TM?

I'm glad they won, but ever since they moved to NY and left Israel. i stopped finding them funny, Ethan just seemed to lose that spark as soon as they started blowing up,

Hila is lovely but she isn't funny, she shouldn't be on camera, or interviewing people in a podcast, its awkward. She isn't an entertainer, her personality just isn't suited for this kind of content. it should be just like it was in Israel. Like i get that Ethan wanted her to be a part of it but he's just less funny when he has to kind of cater to Hila being there and it's just yeah.

hodgy100

this h3h3 people seems to be very scummy really.

I want to notice this in the judge sentence:

Basically, 99% of wrestling and Game of Thrones videos xD

Well, fair use wins, thats what matters.... even if the winners looks like that are pieces of crap...

About the nazi people.... i really cant understand how you can have people in your country that worships an ideology that tried to destroy your country completely 60 years ago... i really cant understand that.

I think the people that actually aggrandize Nazi ideology are very few and Ethan is most certainly not one of them. the problem is this weird middling "both sides" rhetoric that in function just gives more power to the far right and those that hold those horrendous views.

Jacked

Neo Member
qxro7r2c9ifz.jpg

He's a piece of shit. He tried to claim it was a "social experiment".

Isn't it a social experiment though?

A really bad one in poor taste but still.

Isn't it a social experiment though?

A really bad one in poor taste but still.

probably but i think its safe to say he is one since he is so comfotable and repeatedly taking a racist position

he IS a fucking racist, this guy put a car with trumps support shit on it, in a black neighboorhood, and payed some black people so they go destroy the car! Of course in the vidoe he didn't say he payed them, he just said that he will leave this car here to see what happens

All that to make a stupid and fake point, social experiment my ass

SilentRob

Can people just speak English? Are you trying to insinuate not only must Ethan be 100% pure, everyone of his friends and peers must be pure, and all of his fan subreddits? Like this is insane.

I'm not even a subscriber, I was researching vaping on YouTube to quit smoking and his "vape nation" video came up. It was hilarious. I watched a few more where he calls out other channels for being racists and sexist. Then one where he wore 1000 shirts to a grocery store.

So no, I haven't checked out his fan subreddit and cross-referenced it with some other subreddit I've never heard of. Who the hell does that?

So the problem here seems to be that you have no idea what you are talking about and instead of googling things like "kotakuinaction" you celebrate your own ignorance and consider it to be prove that everyone else is wrong.

H3h3 has one of the most toxic communities on YouTube. Its not " a few people", its thd community at large that shares it's Identity with stuff like Gamer gate (if you don't know what that is, please Google it yourself this time) in its complete rejection of feminism, much of "the media" and "SJW" in general. They themselves are responsible for this community by not only focusing much of their coverage on what Reddits regarded as crazy Social Justice Warrior or Extremist Feminists (basically going for the easiest reddit approved targets) but also attacking and discrediting the evil mainstream media.

When the Wall Street Journal called Pewdiepiew out on his ever escalating focus on anti-Semitism as a form of comedy, he spent months defending Pewdiepiew, attacking journalists, falling for fake stories that would have supported their side, in a time in which the whole Fake News angle was already being used by Trump and his supporters. And so, they came.

Curiously, when his friend Jontron made inexcusable, racist statements about the gen pool and much much more that identified him without a shred of doubt as a White Supremacist, h3h3 said...nothing. As far as I know they have been completely silent on this issue to this day, eve though Jontron was part of several of his videos.

So, no. They aren't Nazis. But their content and behaviour has attracted a community that shares a lot of its identity with the alt-right, often being indistinguishable. And that is their own fault.

Gattsu25

Banned

r/kotakuinaction (I'll just call it KiA from now on) is a sub-Reddit (meaning a smaller community) on the community website called Reddit.com.

KiA was one of the early reddit recruitment grounds for what would later become the alt-right* on Reddit during the Gamergate movement (which was a targeted and widespread harassment campaign).

The assertion is that his subreddit is close to indistinguishable from that of a larger alt-right subreddit

*the "Alt-Right", or alternative right, is a term that was coined by a neo-nazi to describe the coalition of far-right groups including neo-nazis, kkk and other white supremacist groups, extreme anti-feminists (the primary focus of KiA and Gamergate), and other far-right ideologies. Their process of indoctrination involved getting people interested in wedge issues, like anti-feminism, deeper into their far-right and white supremacist ideologies through a process that they called red-pilling (which was named after an older anti feminist sub-Reddit).

Tiops

Very happy for them and fair use. The whole situation was absurd and stressfull as hell for them. And expensive, of course.

Yea, everyone agrees, with a seemingly pouty face on, which is an incredibly terrible attitude to have in a situation like this.

How are you blaming him for something his fans did? Please link me the tweet or video where he commanded his fanbase to attack the WSJ, every popular youtuber nowadays has a fanbase that does that, it's just how people are. Have we really gotten to a point where if someone on youtube that has a fanbase disagrees or spotlights something, he/she has to put a warning somewhere saying he/she does not condone or agree with anything his/her fans might do after the fact? Why even make any Exposé's ever? The smallest of feuds will lead to toxic comments on the opposites channel.

Multiple takedowns of malicious activity everythings fine, fuck up once and suddenly you're ruined? Over something like that? If he was a hypocrite H3 wouldn't have taken down the video that had the accusation, he wouldn't of even uploaded saying he made a mistake. No one does 180's the same day they get proven wrong on something, it's just not a normal thing, you have a thought;put work into it, turns out it's incorrect and it takes more than a few minues to process that and have your opinion morph into the correct one.
Did he remotely hinted to directing his fans to threaten the reporters? It's one thing to get a story wrong which it sounds like Ethan definitely was, but unless I didn't see it, he didn't tell his fans to attack the WSJ reporter and it's extremely disingenuous to think otherwise.
"We have proof, overwhelming evidence, that the images of brands advertisements on racist videos are Photoshopped, doctored, they’re fake. And I have the proof.”
"Seems like some simple fact-checks could have gone out to it before you completely demonized and destroyed a platform and the income of all their users.”
"Send this video to Wall Street Journal. Send this video to YouTube. Send this to other news organizations and brands. This is the smoking gun!" - Ethan Klein

After h3h3 posted the anti-WSJ video, alt right stars like Mike Cernovich, Paul Joseph Watson, Milo's website, and other fellow Youtubers like Angry Joe, Geek Remix, Philip DeFranco, and many more went after WSJ and then Jack Nicas.

tgzxhjmcz8x545orujw2.png

abm0vulzo6unwmxrb0av.png

pecx2wsgeyhfmsz3ldkd.png

L8smYej.png

EK3Meuy.png

QzEno3a.png

After all these big people targeted WSJ and Jack Nicas, their big fanbases issued death threats against Jack Nicas for ruining Youtube.

C8f7pHLXUAEy8Ys

C8f8BeaXUAAjbaF

Personal accountability is a thing, and Youtubers know if they go after someone, they're siccing their fanbases on them too. Philip DeFranco has been wishy washy on whether he should be accountable for his fans. But when it comes to death threats, I would hope these big Youtubers know to apologise and cull that call.

After Ethan Klein posted the apology:
"...extremely interesting, by the way, that in Wall Street Journal’s reporting they never mentioned that the video itself was claimed. Instead, they said that racist, hateful people were making money on YouTube, but the fact is this guy wasn’t making money, it was the person who claimed his video.”

So he kept the conspiracy theory alive and going.

The ironic twist is that h3h3 was under the same multi channel network as the racist video, Omnia Media 😉

Is this a serious post? You do realize the WSJ is a conservative paper and H3H3 is a liberal cuck to the alt right? You do realize he is Jewish right?
Ethan Klein is not liberal, he's a centrist like boogie1988, Philip DeFranco, and other Youtubers.

"I don't want to be on the alt-right and I don't want to be on the left, where it's never OK to say anything offensive. I make what I want, and sometimes my videos appeal to the alt-right, and sometimes they appeal to the social justice warrior left, or whatever you want to call it. I don't identify with either of them."

But apparently being a moderate can be frustrating!
"What you see in the comments is — what can you do, it's YouTube. You can't control who's there. It bothers me when I make a video making fun of feminists, then all the time I see all these alt-right comments, and it's like — I don't want to identify with them. I don't want to necessarily court these people ... It's just, what can you do? It's almost like you're suggesting that you have to choose a side, and that's something that I found really frustrating."

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/...uple-holding-bullshitter-youtubers-to-account

Flo_Evans

I just searched for "h3h3 sjw" and there are like 4 videos he made calling out ridiculous people that all got called out here on gaf as well.

I see what you guys are saying but they really doesn't seem to be the focus of his channel at all.

As for his reddit fan club does he actively monitor or moderate that at all?

Jontron again no idea, I've heard his name mentioned as a fuckstick here but never seen his channel. Does he have an obligation to publicly denounce everyone he once worked with who turns out to be a fuckstick? Maybe since a large part of his stuff is calling out fucksticks.

To me when running a business it's a fine line from staying apolitical to telling racist or sexist or homophobic etc people you don't want their money/views/whatever. Or as you say catering to that.

YouTube stars are kind of weird cause I wouldn't exectly call them role models, but they do have some influence on their audience. How much responsibility comes with that is debatable. Most seem in it for the dollar bills.

To me looking at all this stuff it seems H3h3 is trying to straddle the line and get max views. It's kind of funny that YouTube served me his left leaning content but is probably serving others his more right leaning stuff.

Is this a serious post? You do realize the WSJ is a conservative paper and H3H3 is a liberal cuck to the alt right? You do realize he is Jewish right?

He often doesn't take sides when talking about issues. Similar to Phillip DeFranco.
This breeds a community thats consists in considerable parts of alt-righters.
You can tell by taking a look in the comment section: Anti-feminist, anti-sjw, irrational Clinton hate, anti-blm, anti-antifa, pro gamergate etc.

I wish people like him would make videos that would alienate this part of their viewer base, but I don't think they want to do that.

He often doesn't take sides when talking about issues. Similar to Phillip DeFranco.
This breeds a community thats consists in considerable parts of alt-righters.
You can tell by taking a look in the comment section: Anti-feminist, anti-sjw, irrational Clinton hate, anti-blm, anti-antifa, pro gamergate etc.

I wish people like him would make videos that would alienate this part of their viewer base, but I don't think they want to do that.
It's just so frustrating!

"It bothers me when I make a video making fun of feminists, then all the time I see all these alt-right comments, and it's like — I don't want to identify with them. I don't want to necessarily court these people ... It's just, what can you do? It's almost like you're suggesting that you have to choose a side, and that's something that I found really frustrating."

oti

Banned
"We have proof, overwhelming evidence, that the images of brands advertisements on racist videos are Photoshopped, doctored, they’re fake. And I have the proof.”
"Seems like some simple fact-checks could have gone out to it before you completely demonized and destroyed a platform and the income of all their users.”
"Send this video to Wall Street Journal. Send this video to YouTube. Send this to other news organizations and brands. This is the smoking gun!" - Ethan Klein

After h3h3 posted the anti-WSJ video, alt right stars like Mike Cernovich, Paul Joseph Watson, Milo's website, and other fellow Youtubers like Angry Joe, Geek Remix, Philip DeFranco, and many more went after WSJ and then Jack Nicas.

tgzxhjmcz8x545orujw2.png

abm0vulzo6unwmxrb0av.png

pecx2wsgeyhfmsz3ldkd.png

L8smYej.png

EK3Meuy.png

QzEno3a.png

After all these big people targeted WSJ and Jack Nicas, their big fanbases issued death threats against Jack Nicas for ruining Youtube.

C8f7pHLXUAEy8Ys

C8f8BeaXUAAjbaF

Personal accountability is a thing, and Youtubers know if they go after someone, they're siccing their fanbases on them too. Philip DeFranco has been wishy washy on whether he should be accountable for his fans. But when it comes to death threats, I would hope these big Youtubers know to apologise and cull that call.

"...extremely interesting, by the way, that in Wall Street Journal’s reporting they never mentioned that the video itself was claimed. Instead, they said that racist, hateful people were making money on YouTube, but the fact is this guy wasn’t making money, it was the person who claimed his video.”

The ironic twist is that h3h3 was under the same multi channel network as the racist video, Omnia Media 😉

I'm happy they won this lawsuit, it was nonsense. But this is the reason I don't follow their channel anymore. And I used to really like them. Seemed like a down-to-earth couple doing stupid videos and being happy in general.

I know it's probably been said before, but think about the stupidity of Boogie's position here. What's the middle ground between "Blacks are inferior to whites" and "Blacks are equal to whites?" You accept that blacks are somewhat inferior to whites, or only inferior to whites in certain areas?

Fuchsdh

I know it's probably been said before, but think about the stupidity of Boogie's position here. What's the middle ground between "Blacks are inferior to whites" and "Blacks are equal to whites?" You accept that blacks are somewhat inferior to whites, or only inferior to whites in certain areas?

Obviously. The white man is intellectually superior to the mongrel races, but those brown men can sure play some mean sportsball!
sad I feel the need to add /s here, but such are the times we live in

The ruling was a good one, and the judge was smart not trying to turn it into a blanket ruling. The whole point of fair use rationales is the only thing that legitimately proves they are fair use are individual court cases like this.

MadFerIt

I agree there is absolutely no middle ground when it comes to racism or bigotry.

However it pains and sads me to see the concept of "middle group" aka those who align more with moderate views (on a variety of topics) have less and less of a voice, attacked by both sides for even daring to have a different opinion than them (and being lumped into labels like "liberal elite" or "alt-right").

This thread so far has many examples of self-righteous individuals throwing others under the bus for daring to have a conversation where they can express their views on Ethan and Hila that are neither fully supportive or completely negative..

Nokterian

tgzxhjmcz8x545orujw2.png

abm0vulzo6unwmxrb0av.png

pecx2wsgeyhfmsz3ldkd.png

L8smYej.png

EK3Meuy.png

QzEno3a.png

C8f7pHLXUAEy8Ys

C8f8BeaXUAAjbaF

And this was the post i was waiting for, also don't forget defranco also does some kinda journalism thing and yet he is not a journalist. Also pewdiepie all of sudden said last week he stops making nazi jokes because of charlottesville..you know how dumb can you be when you keep spreading anti-semitism towards your audience normalizing it?

I agree there is absolutely no middle ground when it comes to racism or bigotry.

However it pains and sads me to see the concept of "middle group" aka those who align more with moderate views (on a variety of topics) have less and less of a voice, attacked by both sides for even daring to have a different opinion than them (and being lumped into labels like "liberal elite" or "alt-right").

This thread so far has many examples of self-righteous individuals throwing others under the bus for daring to have a conversation where they can express their views on Ethan and Hila that are neither fully supportive or completely negative..

Most people are being called out for dismissing things when there's clear evidence. Ethan handled that WSJ thing horribly, still throwing shade at them when he was shown to be wrong. As a guy with a huge following I feel it's his responsibility to get a lid on that shit.

I'm not gonna say he's a Nazi or he's alt-right, but I think he's very irresponsible, in what he does, and not accepting responsibility for the consequences of his content. He can't act like it's not his fault his comments section is filled with the alt-right when he attacks their opponents in a regular basis with only a minor disclaimer 'oh they're not all like this', if that.

I'm glad they won, it was a BS lawsuit, but I'm not surprised at all that the thread went veering off in this direction. I stopped watching them a long time ago.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

No one is accusing "middle ground" people of being nazis when it comes to other political issues such as economic ones.

Unfortunately these days the political discourse now includes normalizing white supremacy, so the white supremacist side champions the idea of the people against it being irrational as if there was a rational meeting in the middle of the issue. "Oh my god what happened to liberals and conservatives finding a middle ground!" when the "political discussion" is making an argument for killing black people and the other is making an argument against it.

Top Bottom