• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judge sides with YouTubers Ethan and Hila Klein (h3h3) in copyright lawsuit

katkombat

Banned
His 13 year old fanbase will be incredibly pleased I'm sure. He should do another live stream with Martin Shkreli to celebrate.

Or get Joey Salads to talk about how all Muslims should be killed again.

Reaction videos are the fucking worst as they leech views from the original content--however bad it may be. I dunno about this, to be honest.

Is that good?

Can't wait for him to go back to bashing feminists and flirting with the alt-right again?

I hate the Channel, but I support this win. They should definitely be sued by WSJ tho.

What the hell?

WSJ ran a story about how youtube was running ads on white supremacy videos and showed an ad running on such a video (which was taken down right after the article was posted), Ethan contacted the video's original uploader who told him that the video hadn't earned any ad revenue in several months, Ethan assumed this meant that the WSJ author fabricated footage of the ad playing on the video when a simple application of Occam's Razor would have told him that the there was another reason for the uploader not earning ad revenue (namely that the video had a copyright claim and all ad revenue went to the owner of the copyright). After it was quickly proven that the article did not fabricate the footage Ethan refused to back down and the idiotic children who watch his videos started sending death threats to the WSJ writer.

Because death threats from his "fans" = him being a bad person? What is wrong with this site these days? Every single thread devolves into some sort of "I dislike this person and here's why" or is derailed because everyone here feels so strongly about nearly every single thing. I used to come to off topic to see good conversations and actual informative pieces.

Cipherr

Because death threats from his "fans" = him being a bad person? What is wrong with this site these days? Every single thread devolves into some sort of "I dislike this person and here's why" or is derailed because everyone here feels so strongly about nearly every single thing. I used to come to off topic to see good conversations and actual informative pieces.

You need to fall back. You sound unfamiliar with the Ethan scenario, he deserves every fucking thing thrown at him in this thread for the bullshit he tried to pull and then had to retract.

Everything.

And all during it there were people like you ignorant of what was going on, stepping into the discussion telling everyone how much they were overreacting; until it all came tumbling down, and you guys disappeared.

Look into what happened, go find the stuff he didn't delete so you can understand. THEN have a look at these responses and see if they aren't warranted.

Here: Ill link the thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1357491

But keep in mind, when the egg hit his face, he up and deleted a lot of the videos and shit he smugly posted beforehand.

Shawsie64

Banned
You need to fall back. You sound unfamiliar with the Ethan scenario, he deserves every fucking thing thrown at him in this thread for the bullshit he tried to pull and then had to retract.

Everything.

And all during it there were people like you ignorant of what was going on, stepping into the discussion telling everyone how much they were overreacting; until it all came tumbling down, and you guys disappeared.

Look into what happened, go find the stuff he didn't delete so you can understand. THEN have a look at these responses and see if they aren't warranted.

Here: Ill link the thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1357491

But keep in mind, when the egg hit his face, he up and deleted a lot of the videos and shit he smugly posted beforehand.

Disappeared?

Or simply carried on with their lives like ordinary people that don't get outraged at everything they ever watch..

BY2K

Membero Americo
His 13 year old fanbase will be incredibly pleased I'm sure. He should do another live stream with Martin Shkreli to celebrate.

Wait what?

But that was to call him out, right? Now to be all friendly and shit, right?

Oh no not totalbiscut (who the hell is he?) I seriously can't keep up with all this drama. Ethan seems like a chill dude.

And lol "ethics in journalism" this era of random nobody said something on twitter is garbage. Hilarious you complain about h3h3 brigading this journalist, that was pretty much what the WSJ did to pewdiepie.

Jesus I feel stupid even typing out these stupid names.

Before anyone gets mad at Flo_Evans for defending slander, lets remember that people will defend child rapists if they enjoy their movies.

Slander ain't no big deal because Ethan make the funny video hee hee.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Disappeared?

Or simply carried on with their lives like ordinary people that don't get outraged at everything they ever watch..

That's a rather embarrassing defense, lol.

Anyway, as much as I dislike what both H3H3 has turned into as a channel and what degenerates they apparently are, the result of the lawsuit was clear, as soon as it was filed.

I'm more torn on a counter suit. The douchebag obviously has money, and I'd like to more discouragement from others filing obvious suits. The money should go back to the fund they setup for YouTube people who can't afford to fight such frivolous lawsuits.

Cipherr

Disappeared?

Fucking disappeared...

Literally edited posts to avoid the confrontation after the fact, and also changed their tune.

But why ask. I linked the damn thread, go see it. It's all still there, Im sure you were genuinely asking, right?

What the hell?

A refusal to back down after being proven wrong shouldn't be celebrated.

People like to pretend words have no meaning when Ethan's words directly lead to an innocent writer receiving death threats.

Shawsie64

Banned
Fucking disappeared...

Literally edited posts to avoid the confrontation after the fact, and also changed their tune.

But why ask. I linked the damn thread, go see it. It's all still there, Im sure you were genuinely asking, right?

I’m not part of the H3H3 defence force and I don’t have the time or interest to sift through an old thread. I watch his videos from time to time for entertainment.

I’m not part of the H3H3 defence force and I don’t have the time or interest to sift through an old thread. I watch his videos from time to time for entertainment.

Right, you just have time to talk about the shit coming out of your ass instead. For entertainment, I'm sure.

As a side note, goddamn, Diabolos has finally been banned! It's not even my birthday!

Shawsie64

Banned
Right, you just have time to talk about the shit coming out of your ass instead. For entertainment, I'm sure.

As a side note, goddamn, Diabolos has finally been banned! It's not even my birthday!

What’s with the hostility?

Who's Diabolos? Did they say something that upset you?

Please tell people like myself not in the know why we should all hate him/her..

CazTGG

Hate the people behind the channel and the content they produce (see their handling of the WSJ's story), approve of the court's decision.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Disappeared?

Let me us make a video where he saw your name multiple times, show all your social media, and say you're lying over and over, also, remember when we said we had a responsibility to not do this because our fans would attack people? Lets just pretend we didn't make that video and now do this because we want our fans to attack you.

Oh, all of our allegations were untrue and our "apology" video wasn't really an apology because we still uncinate you're lying?

Good thing Shawnsie says we're the ordinary people here who don't get outraged, which actually is bullshit because our brand is build on getting outraged while joking, that's our whole shtick.

You're obviously not familiar with the situation so I'm not sure why you're even giving your 2cents in the matter.

Not to derail, but anyone know why? Why finally crossed the line after months? Is there a thread I should check out?

Last I'll say on it, but I'm guessing it might be his praise for Bernie voters "keeping another Clinton out of office." Because Trump worked out so well. Anyway, sorry for the derail. I'll leave it at that.

By the way, on topic, I'm with most others here. Good decision, unfortunate if it emboldens them to continue down the shitty path they started on recently. It's too bad, I enjoyed some of their earlier stuff, but I'm aware now that most people on YouTube these days are trash.

He had Joey Salads on the podcast and he said all Muslims should be killed.

No, he was not joking. Joey Salads is a massive racist and has faked racist videos before, which Ethan called him out on, so it was pretty fucked up for him to give him a platform.

qxro7r2c9ifz.jpg

He's a piece of shit. He tried to claim it was a "social experiment".

BHK3

Banned
I'll be that guy, good win for good people. Their original defense for Pewdiepie when it started was sound, since he was just making jokes. I didn't know it was illegal to draw swatiskas and then laugh about it, which is the extent of what pewdiepie did. His later comments about agreeing with some dude that said women essentially are lesser than men though is what fully buried him, but I don't know of any comments from H3 about that particular event. If they defended even that, then yea that's pretty shitty and I understand not watching their content and trying to steer others away from it.

Other than the wallstreet thing which they owned up to("our bad guys, this shits still fishy though" was what was said in the video), their still good people. I guess helping expose the CS:GO Gambling thing and showing the world Joey Salads is a bigger lunatic than previously thought as well as expose that one content thief(forgot the name of him) means jack shit because, well you just plain don't like him.

Sure let them lose because you irrationally hate them and then youtube really goes down the shitter where even using mentioning someone elses content will get your shit taken down. Goodbye movie and game reviews that aren't glowing or pre-approved by the publisher.

Always remember folks, fanbases of youtubers you don't like are all 12 years old.

Shawsie64

Banned
qxro7r2c9ifz.jpg

He's a piece of shit. He tried to claim it was a "social experiment".

Is this a still from the video where Joey Salads walks up to a Trump supporters rally and they tell him to get fucked because they don't support what Nazis stand for?

I don't even know what point is trying to be made anymore

Is this a still from the video where Joey Salads walks up to a Trump supporters rally and they tell him to get fucked because they don't support what Nazis stand for?

I don't even know what point is trying to be made anymore

He hires actors for all his videos so he got to march with a nazi armband at a far-right rally AND got his actors to pretend like they aren't Nazis in the one go.

Shawsie64

Banned
He hires actors for all his videos so he got to march with a nazi armband at a far-right rally AND got his actors to pretend like they aren't Nazis in the one go.

Ah ok yeah I don't watch his videos, I only seen the snippet on H3H3's video.

Is it confirmed the people in this particular videos are actors? I remember that video he did a while back where he stereotyped black people were confirmed actors..

I'll be that guy, good win for good people. Their original defense for Pewdiepie when it started was sound, since he was just making jokes. I didn't know it was illegal to draw swatiskas and then laugh about it, which is the extent of what pewdiepie did. His later comments about agreeing with some dude that said women essentially are lesser than men though is what fully buried him, but I don't know of any comments from H3 about that particular event. If they defended even that, then yea that's pretty shitty and I understand not watching their content and trying to steer others away from it.

Other than the wallstreet thing which they owned up to("our bad guys, this shits still fishy though" was what was said in the video), their still good people. I guess helping expose the CS:GO Gambling thing and showing the world Joey Salads is a bigger lunatic than previously thought as well as expose that one content thief(forgot the name of him) means jack shit because, well you just plain don't like him.

Sure let them lose because you irrationally hate them and then youtube really goes down the shitter where even using mentioning someone elses content will get your shit taken down. Goodbye movie and game reviews that aren't glowing or pre-approved by the publisher.

Always remember folks, fanbases of youtubers you don't like are all 12 years old.

#1 almost everyone in this thread agree that the judge made the right decision.

#2 He didn't own up, you said so yourself and his crazy viewers went after the reporter with threats on his life and he did nothing to try and stop it. That's really not ok on top of some of the other questionable stuff he's done more recently. He can point the finger everywhere else, but not accept responsibility when he fucks up. He's a hypocrite at best.

Ah ok yeah I don't watch his videos, I only seen the snippet on H3H3's video.

Is it confirmed the people in this particular videos are actors? I remember that video he did a while back where he stereotyped black people were confirmed actors..

Someone had some photos of the "black thugs" who violently attack his car for having a Trump bumper sticker waiting behind the camera on one of his social experiments.

buoevXp.jpg

jviggy43

Disappeared?

Disappeared. A lot of people had a lot to say about that before it was revealed he was a fucking moron that had no idea what he was doing.

Shawsie64

Banned
Someone had some photos of the "black thugs" who violently attack his car for having a Trump bumper sticker waiting behind the camera on one of his social experiments.

buoevXp.jpg

Yes I know that video was staged, however the one I am asking for proof the Trump supporters were actors is the one that Ethan and Hila showed on a recent video where he approaches a bunch of Trump supporters and they tell him they don’t support his views. The original image which you posted is from that video.

BHK3

Banned
#1 almost everyone in this thread agree that the judge made the right decision.

#2 He didn't own up, you said so yourself and his crazy viewers went after the reporter with threats on his life and he did nothing to try and stop it. That's really not ok on top of some of the other questionable stuff he's done more recently. He can point the finger everywhere else, but not accept responsibility when he fucks up. He's a hypocrite at best.
Yea, everyone agrees, with a seemingly pouty face on, which is an incredibly terrible attitude to have in a situation like this.

How are you blaming him for something his fans did? Please link me the tweet or video where he commanded his fanbase to attack the WSJ, every popular youtuber nowadays has a fanbase that does that, it's just how people are. Have we really gotten to a point where if someone on youtube that has a fanbase disagrees or spotlights something, he/she has to put a warning somewhere saying he/she does not condone or agree with anything his/her fans might do after the fact? Why even make any Exposé's ever? The smallest of feuds will lead to toxic comments on the opposites channel.

Multiple takedowns of malicious activity everythings fine, fuck up once and suddenly you're ruined? Over something like that? If he was a hypocrite H3 wouldn't have taken down the video that had the accusation, he wouldn't of even uploaded saying he made a mistake. No one does 180's the same day they get proven wrong on something, it's just not a normal thing, you have a thought;put work into it, turns out it's incorrect and it takes more than a few minues to process that and have your opinion morph into the correct one.

What questionable things has he done recently? Inviting shitty people onto his show filled with leading and baiting questions to show how truly shitty they are?

Jontron went on twitch and showed everyone how much of an actual uneducated dimwit he was, pewdiepie I already mentioned, but H3 is total peanuts compared to those two. You have a guy here saying he deserves all the vitriol in this thread and I think that's absolutely ridiculous, I'll agree to disagree on him being a hypocrite since there's different levels to that, him being the lowest possible one.

I'll be frank and say that, at this point, I'm starting to warm to the idea of sacrificing Fair Use and destroying YouTube if it means that it'll be that much harder for shitheads to spread their hateful messages.

Ozigizo

You do realize he issued an apology correct?

You mean the one before he tried to pull the "it was just a prank bro" routine?

How are you blaming him for something his fans did?

Is this real?

If you have a community, you should be held responsible for their actions when you feed them bullshit.

Are you aware of how dangerous the fake news narrative is right now? He tried to push it to his fans and succeeded.

Shawsie64

Banned
You mean the one before he tried to pull the "it was just a prank bro" routine?

Is this real?

If you have a community, you should be held responsible for their actions when you feed them bullshit.

That's like saying Evilore should be held responsible because Amirox diddled kids

Magwik

Banned
That's like saying Evilore should be held responsible because Amirox diddled kids
1. No
2. The appropriate comparison would be if EvilLore made up a bunch of bullshit allegations and directed his community at a target without explicitly saying "go get em"

Ghazi

I get why people dislike Ethan and Hila for the WSJ stuff, I've never felt that they were good at the whole "investigative journalism" thing but a lot of their comedy and skits were funny before that and still are.

I find it weird that people pretend like they're unfunny scumbags not worth watching ever again because of that.

BHK3

Banned
Is this real?

Are you aware of how dangerous the fake news narrative is right now? He tried to push it to his fans and succeeded.

Is THIS real? Pretty sure metal bands get blamed nonstop because one of their listeners goes and kills someone, same thing right? Feed your fanbase bullshit about how the world sucks and fire and blood and yadda yadda, totally legit. Marilyn Manson is 100% responsible for Coloumbine, same thing with John Carmack because he made Doom and the shooters made maps in that.

Fake news is a dangerous narrative, no one disagrees with that, H3 could've done a bit more. I have nothing else left to say here really. Someone just always has a bone to pick around these parts.

Turns out, people don't want to give views to idiots pushing the same shit as Trump.

Yup, Ethan fucking Klein is on the exact same level as trump, evil is a flat graph. Any killer is just as bad as Charles Manson, any liar is as bad as Peter Molyneux. I'm out.

Grinchy

Banned
I get why people dislike Ethan and Hila for the WSJ stuff, I've never felt that they were good at the whole "investigative journalism" thing but a lot of their comedy and skits were funny before that and still are.

I find it weird that people pretend like they're unfunny scumbags not worth watching ever again because of that.

Taking an extreme side on everything is what internet losers do these days. They take the side that they think makes them look like better people than they actually are in their real, sad lives. The more other people who reinforce that they're choosing the "correct side," the more extreme they get on it to feed that feeling.

jviggy43

Is THIS real? Pretty sure metal bands get blamed nonstop because one of their listeners goes and kills someone, same thing right? Feed your fanbase bullshit about how the world sucks and fire and blood and yadda yadda, totally legit. Marilyn Manson is 100% responsible for Coloumbine, same thing with John Carmack because he made Doom and the shooters made maps in that.

Fake news is a dangerous narrative, no one disagrees with that, H3 could've done a bit more. I have nothing else left to say here really. Someone just always has a bone to pick around these parts.

Yup, Ethan fucking Klein is on the exact same level as trump, evil is a flat graph. Any killer is just as bad as Charles Manson, any liar is as bad as Peter Molyneux. I'm out.
They literally led their fans on a witch hunt of a singular individual person doing their job, of which they've been critical of other bases doing and not having the guts to tell their fans to back off, and then made an "apology" video not to the individual or to admit wrongdoing but that they went about it in an imperfect way while also insinuating that something was still going on all the while their fans were sending this guy death threats. Your comparisons of artists using broad messages isn't really applicable here.

Top Bottom