• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judge sides with YouTubers Ethan and Hila Klein (h3h3) in copyright lawsuit

y2dvd

#1 almost everyone in this thread agree that the judge made the right decision.

#2 He didn't own up, you said so yourself and his crazy viewers went after the reporter with threats on his life and he did nothing to try and stop it. That's really not ok on top of some of the other questionable stuff he's done more recently. He can point the finger everywhere else, but not accept responsibility when he fucks up. He's a hypocrite at best.

Did he remotely hinted to directing his fans to threaten the reporters? It's one thing to get a story wrong which it sounds like Ethan definitely was, but unless I didn't see it, he didn't tell his fans to attack the WSJ reporter and it's extremely disingenuous to think otherwise.

jviggy43

Did he remotely hinted to directing his fans to threaten the reporters? It's one thing to get a story wrong which it sounds like Ethan definitely was, but unless I didn't see it, he didn't tell his fans to attack the WSJ reporter and it's extremely disingenuous to think otherwise.
People are calling him a hypocrite because he's been critical of this same thing with other people not telling their fans to calm down and then turned around and did the same thing.

Ozigizo

Taking an extreme side on everything is what internet losers do these days. They take the side that they think makes them look like better people than they actually are in their real, sad lives. The more other people who reinforce that they're choosing the "correct side," the more extreme they get on it to feed that feeling.

The hottest of takes.

Magwik

Banned
Taking an extreme side on everything is what internet losers do these days. They take the side that they think makes them look like better people than they actually are in their real, sad lives. The more other people who reinforce that they're choosing the "correct side," the more extreme they get on it to feed that feeling.
So what exactly are you doing then? 🤔🤔🤔

2PlYjzI.png

Yea, everyone agrees, with a seemingly pouty face on, which is an incredibly terrible attitude to have in a situation like this.

How are you blaming him for something his fans did? Please link me the tweet or video where he commanded his fanbase to attack the WSJ, every popular youtuber nowadays has a fanbase that does that, it's just how people are. Have we really gotten to a point where if someone on youtube that has a fanbase disagrees or spotlights something, he/she has to put a warning somewhere saying he/she does not condone or agree with anything his/her fans might do after the fact? Why even make any Exposé's ever? The smallest of feuds will lead to toxic comments on the opposites channel.

Multiple takedowns of malicious activity everythings fine, fuck up once and suddenly you're ruined? Over something like that? If he was a hypocrite H3 wouldn't have taken down the video that had the accusation, he wouldn't of even uploaded saying he made a mistake. No one does 180's the same day they get proven wrong on something, it's just not a normal thing, you have a thought;put work into it, turns out it's incorrect and it takes more than a few minues to process that and have your opinion morph into the correct one.

What questionable things has he done recently? Inviting shitty people onto his show filled with leading and baiting questions to show how truly shitty they are?

Jontron went on twitch and showed everyone how much of an actual uneducated dimwit he was, pewdiepie I already mentioned, but H3 is total peanuts compared to those two. You have a guy here saying he deserves all the vitriol in this thread and I think that's absolutely ridiculous, I'll agree to disagree on him being a hypocrite since there's different levels to that, him being the lowest possible one.

Ever heard the phrase, 'with great power comes great responsibility'? Ethan knew and still knows the power of his fanbase as they'd been mobilized before. He only had to say "Sorry guys, I screwed up this time. Let it go and Papa forgive me", but instead he decided to perpetuate the situation by making things feel like some sort of conspiracy. He directly started the fire, he should put it out. Period. We're here months later, he never really tried.

As for watching them again, trust is hard won and easily broken. I can't bring myself to laugh at their videos when all I can see is a giant asshole who can't live up to his own shortcomings. I definitely can't enjoy his reaction videos knowing it's the pot calling out the kettle. He seems way too chummy with the people he's supposedly calling out, comes across as very narcissistic, and pals around with people like Jontron. There are too many red flags that he refuses to address for me to find enjoyment in the personality he's selling his channel on.

As such, it is perfectly reasonable to be happy about the judgment but not happy for the person directly benefiting from it. It's pretty likely they'll continue their downward spiral into offensive mediocrity in the face of this win.

Euphor!a

Banned
Ever heard the phrase, 'with great power comes great responsibility'? Ethan knew and still knows the power of his fanbase as they'd been mobilized before. He only had to say "Sorry guys, I screwed up this time. Let it go and Papa forgive me", but instead he decided to perpetuate the situation by making things feel like some sort of conspiracy. He directly started the fire, he should put it out. Period. We're here months later, he never really tried.

See, this here just shows you have no idea what you are talking about, like an hour after his original video he took it down and made a new video admitting he fucked up.

jviggy43

He didn't apologize (to the person in question) and then without any proof tried saying something was still going on (it wasnt), which was essentially continuing to fan the fire.

See, this here just shows you have no idea what you are talking about, like an hour after his original video he took it down and made a new video admitting he fucked up.

Your statement is really ironic considering the pages of people already stating that his apology was bullshit. He ended it by basically stating that he felt the wsj was guilty, but sorry he didn't prove it this time. It's like saying someone stole your candy bar, but when proven wrong you say, "yeah, but he probably could have! I bet he's stolen a lot of candy bars! Just look at that piece of shit!"

Euphor!a

Banned
It took at least a day, if I remember correctly. How does any of this matter? Are you saying he shouldn't hold some blame for what his community did?

You remember incorrectly. All I'm saying is the person I was replying to is acting like he knows what he talking about when he clearly doesn't.

Euphor!a

Banned
Your statement is really ironic considering the pages of people already stating that his apology was bullshit. He ended it by basically stating that he felt the wsj was guilty, but sorry he didn't prove it this time. It's like saying someone stole your candy bar, but when proven wrong you say, "yeah, but he probably could have! I bet he's stolen a lot of candy bars! Just look at that piece of shit!"

If I've learned one thing from NeoGAF it is that every apology is bullshit.

Magwik

Banned
Well when you have influence over millions of young adults and kids under the age of 16 then yeah you also bear the responsibility of not making shit up and you know, telling the god damn truth. Instead Ethan falls in line with the other big YouTubers who feel the media is out to get them when they instead are just being shitty people doing shitty stuff.

But hey Tmartn apologized for exploiting children into illegal CS:GO gambling so he's a cool dude now right?

Euphor!a

Banned
Well when you have influence over millions of young adults and kids under the age of 16 then yeah you also bear the responsibility of not making shit up and you know, telling the god damn truth. Instead Ethan falls in line with the other big YouTubers who feel the media is out to get them when they instead are just being shitty people doing shitty stuff.

But hey Tmartn apologized for exploiting children into illegal CS:GO gambling so he's a cool dude now right?

I don't even know what point you are trying to make and how it relates to what I said.

When it causes a bunch of people to continue your crusade while you sit back in silence, yeah. He was following these events. He knew what his fans were doing. His silence was deafening. He acted cowardly and hid while the shitstorm tore through. Sorry, not sorries are not apologies.

Magwik

Banned
I don't even know what point you are trying to make and how it relates to what I said.
He apologized so he's a good guy
That's your argument

Apologizing doesn't absolve anyone from the damage they have done.
He knew exactly what he was doing and had an agenda from that start. He was apologizing for him getting caught.

Euphor!a

Banned
When it causes a bunch of people to continue your crusade while you sit back in silence, yeah. He was following these events. He knew what his fans were doing. His silence was deafening. He acted cowardly and hid while the shitstorm tore through. Sorry, not sorries are not apologies.

I can't help but laugh when I read things like this, if you truly believe there is anything he could have done to stop dumb people from doing dumb shit, you just haven't been paying attention to fucking thing going on out there. These are people that would sooner turn on their own than question their convictions.

He apologized so he's a good guy
That's your argument

Apologizing doesn't absolve anyone from the damage they have done.
He knew exactly what he was doing and had an agenda from that start. He was apologizing for him getting caught.

Nah, that is you reading into something that isn't there.

Q8D3vil

Identity politics is ruining internet for me.
Fuck the individual thought, you either are a Nazi worse than Hitler or your snowflake who is spreading fake news.
Hopefully it doesnt spread to my country.

jviggy43

Can't hold all these hot takes.

Want to add some context or just fling random shit at the wall?
Hey he really doesn't have time. He can post in here non stop but can't take anytime to catch up on the conversation people are having that might lead them to dislike this guy. Oh and that somehow means the totality of gaf thinks everyone is a white supremacist and apologies aren't sincere.
Fuck the individual thought, you either are a Nazi worse than Hitler or your snowflake who is spreading fake news.
Lol um what?

Magwik

Banned
Okay but this has nothing to do with the thread???

I can't help but laugh when I read things like this, if you truly believe there is anything he could have done to stop dumb people from doing dumb shit, you just haven't been paying attention to fucking thing going on out there. These are people that would sooner turn on their own than question their convictions.

Yet he literally left the door wide open for them and didn't even try to close it. Again, either he was for it, too cowardly to confront it, or literally didn't give a shit that he caused this. Seriously, he had a lot of outs here to avoid responsibility and a lot of people calling him out on it and he let it happen anyway.

Euphor!a

Banned
Yet he literally left the door wide open for them didn't even try to close it. Again, either he was for it, too cowardly to confront it, or literally didn't give a shit that he caused this. Seriously, he had a lot of outs here to avoid responsibility and a lot of people calling him out on it and he let it happen anyway.

If he didn't give a shit he would have just either left the video up, or took it down and not have even bothered to post a follow up video acknowledging he fucked up. Don't even bother responding, I know what you're going to say already and I will redirect you to my post a few posts back.

Shawsie64

Banned

It's destroyed Gaf. Can't even come here to say congrats on the outcome of the case without sifting through pages of virtue signalling trolls.

The OT used to be about having fun making bets on Kobayashi or laughing at colored stick figure drawings people made in MS paint to explain their sexual encounters.

Now everyone's a fucking Nazi or out to oppress people.

I'm off to have a movie night with my wife and kids, the more I read this shit hole the more depressed I get.

jviggy43

Fucking gaf always concerning themselves over the shit going on in the world. How dare they try to ruin my enjoyment of closeted alt right pandering youtubers.

What country do you live in? I'm coming there AND HELL'S COMING WITH ME

Fat4all

Banned
this isn't a thread to complain about the 'state of neogaf'

if you have such a big issue with the website, take it to the mods, ffs

It's destroyed Gaf. Can't even come here to say congrats on the outcome of the case without sifting through pages of virtue signalling trolls.

The OT used to be about having fun making bets on Kobayashi or laughing at colored stick figure drawings people made in MS paint to explain their sexual encounters.

I'm off to have a movie night with my wife and kids, the more I read this shit hole the more depressed I get.

tenor.gif

Magwik

Banned

Here's a fun bet: are you a coward, an asshole, or both?
I'll put $10 on number 3.

A thread about a person is about the person. Shocking news.

Lulubop

sounds like this isn't the place for you.

Fucking gaf always concerning themselves over the shit going on in the world. How dare they try to ruin my enjoyment of closeted alt right pandering youtubers.

word

If he didn't give a shit he would have just either left the video up, or took it down and not have even bothered to post a follow up video acknowledging he fucked up. Don't even bother responding, I know what you're going to say already and I will redirect you to my post a few posts back.

You can weasel out if you want, but you refuse to acknowledge that his apology came with a giant fucking asterisk at the end of it and I basically have to assume you will continue doing so to try and defend your position. At least I can leave it at that.

No one made you read this thread continually over the last, what, 3 hours? Your hunger for outrage over outrage is palpable.

Euphor!a

Banned
Oh, great. Now you're quoting your own hot take and continuing to not even acknowledge any of the discussion.

This thread is tiresome.

I did acknowledge it, I have no interest in having the same cyclical discussion. I have nothing more to add and neither does he.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Every apology is bullshit.

Everything is offensive.

Everyone is an alt-right white supremacist.

Why are you continuing to talk about this when you don't even know the details of what happened? Even at the time when I was a huge fan of H3H3, I knew he royally fucked up, did something really morally reprehensible and his "apology" was less an apology to the man whom he wronged and more to his audience for getting the facts wrong, especially when he implied that the man was doing something "fishy". It was bullshit.

[edit]

Also, I've seen people say that they shouldn't be held responsible for what their audience do or that what happened wasn't their intention, well, that's also bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tethcTt1k18&feature=youtu.be&t=313

They knew what would happen when they kept attacking that journalist and they did it because they felt he deserved it.

Ozigizo

I did acknowledge it, I have no interest in having the same cyclical discussion. I have nothing more to add and neither does he.

You didn't even acknowledge it. I don't even think you read what I posted. He attempted to play it off as a "gaff."

Top Bottom