• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Jul 8-21) The International 2014 DOTA 2 Championships: $10.5 million prize pool

Radec

toss_for_chet.jpg

http://blog.dota2.com/2014/07/the-new-grand-champions-newbee/

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Reading the last couple pages I do feel vindicated in my decision to not watch the finals. :lol

So, on a happier note - what was everyone's favourite game of the tournament?

Vici vs EG game 2,
LGD vs DK game 1,
IG vs LGD series

There was a match with an amazing base race at the end. Someone on the Radiant was DP and had to try and die back to defend with their team but couldn't die in the fountain because they were too tanky. I think it was C9 vs one of the Chinese teams.

EDIT: DK vs. EG Game 1.

sixghost

Reading the last couple pages I do feel vindicated in my decision to not watch the finals. :lol

C9 vs VG game 2 was the shit. I never though I'd see meepo winning a big game at TI a few months ago.

Struct09

C9 vs VG game 2 was the shit. I never though I'd see meepo winning a big game at TI a few months ago.

Definitely my favorite of the tournament as well. Sadly I didn't make it to Key Arena in time to catch it live, but I was able to watch it all in-client yesterday morning.

I also wasn't really a fan of the "get first seed, take two days off" structure. I get that you should be rewarded for doing well by having to play fewer games, but for those who didn't pay much attention until the main event we barely got to see the eventual champion play any games.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So i managed to watch the finals on work (no audio tough) and all i have to say is that fucking racism won, also burning didn't even get a win by proxy so fuck this tournament and everyone in it.

Newbee played really damn well, a well deserved victory. I think maybe VG got figured out or was it just better play from newbee um....

Nzyme32

Hm, can you get banned for being annoying and stupid?

They have a point though. Almost every sport or game can have boring wins. Doesn't really need to mean the whole thing is doomed or it is the entire fault of a particular nation etc. It just happens.

Lucumo

They have a point though. Almost every sport or game can have boring wins. Doesn't really need to mean the whole thing is doomed or it is the entire fault of a particular nation etc. It just happens.

Sorry, he was referring to the tournament being rigged. Too bad that there are no double-quotes.

Tagyhag

Well I'm sad that VG lost but they still got 2nd and I'm sure ROTK is happy with that, and I'm also happy for Xiao8. Can't wait for next year!

....Now to deal with Techies in pubs.

erragal

Yea counter them like Newbee did, but unlike Newbee EG don't have that capacity.

That's not factual. EG made several poor decisions in that game 3 in drafting, hero assignment, and tactics which they had not made previously.

EG would have been stomped by Newbee however.

My biggest issue after watching all of TI4 is the format really created a disjointed competition. There was never a lot of flow between the days and the bracket stages devalued the positional advantages of the higher seeded teams.

Gaming isn't a competitive endeavour where not playing all day lets you 'come in fresh'. That's not how muscle memory and reactive thinking works.

Ultimately the losers bracket concept needs to be abandoned. Double round robin group stage then seed 12 teams. Play it out final four style with Bo5's. Bo3's have too much variance for such a high stakes tournament.

This wont improve the quality of the final necessarily but it will shore up the terrible disjointed narrative this event had.

ADota strategy seems in its' infancy in some ways. For being the older game than LoL, professional circuits haven't really led to proper coaching/training regimens for a lot of these teams. I suspect that will change in this next year; I'll be curious to observe how the balance team can adapt to more man hours being spent leveraging in game advantages as well as the player base's response to changes motivated by the uptick in competitive play.

Top Bottom