• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Julian Eggebrecht: Wii developers are sloppy

TheWolf

Banned
IGN: Resident Evil 4 was a beautiful GCN title. Rogue Squadron was doing things at launch that developers still haven't done on Wii. Why do you think that is? Are studios getting sloppy on Wii?

Julian: Yes. I'm so disappointed knowing exactly what the Wii can do -- and I still think nobody knows it better than we (no pun intended) [laughs]. I really have to say, boy, am I disappointed! They all have finally figured out, five years into the hardware's life cycle, how to do at least basic shaders and a rim light, but that's what everybody does. But I still don't see enough bump and normal-mapping, if any. I still don't see enough post effects, although you would have insane fill-rates with Wii. I don't see any of that. I was digging out Rebel Strike the other day and was looking at it, and we had some people who were visiting ask, "Why isn't anybody else doing this on Wii?" And I am at a loss. I really am.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/762/762984p1.html

license the engine, Factor 5.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Can't say that I disagree (with a few a exceptions)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
He's dead right. There were so few devs willing to come close to maxing out the GCN, and we're not even seeing maxed-GCN-level work on the Wii, and that's shameful.

santouras

Couldn't agree with him more.

I guess this does raise the question tho, what are the tools and support community like for systems? Surely its in nintendo's best interests to tell the developers what can be done and how to do it. Are they not doing this?

It surely would be a big hit for every single developer to commit someone to sit down for weeks or months or however long it takes with each new system to learn its ins and outs and how best to squeeze out all those different effects, and I can understand why they are hesitant to do so and therefor learn only enough to get an "acceptable" result.

Its really up to Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft to give developers full understanding of what their systems can do, and how best to harness these effects, because it is painfully apparent they aren't doing so. Especially Nintendo need to do this, sure Wii uses alot of the same things Cube did, but 3rd parties never did (rightfully or not, who knows) invest the time to learn Cube, so they are playing some serious catchup

I think if the game makes the company profit, graphics are not top priority to them at all unfortunately. More visually enticing graphics would be nice to see on the Wii if the developers would actually decide to put some effort into their work. I don't think there is any excuse for a 5 year old XBox or GC to have games that look more graphically impressive than the Wii's offerings.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mejilan said:
He's dead right. There were so few devs willing to come close to maxing out the GCN, and we're not even seeing maxed-GCN-level work on the Wii, and that's shameful.

We can start by cutting off that infernal PS2 pipeline.

Too bad Rebel Strike is all kinds of meh in terms of gameplay. It did have Rogue Squadron II co-op, and that was really awesome though.

Derps

Banned
Wii has cemented itself as the sloppy seconds console. Like their kiddy image, this is something Nintendo will never change

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mejilan said:
Which apparently goes both ways now... Oh Activision! :lol

That is nothing new, the Playstation 2 has been stealing stuff from other consoles since the Dreamcast days.

KTallguy

Banned
That's why I'm afraid of buying a Wii, really.
I feel like the only devs that will really make an effort are Nintendo themselves.

Sure, GCN had stellar Capcom titles, but they all ended up going to the PS2. It's really unfortunate.

Derps said:
Wii has cemented itself as the sloppy seconds console. Like their kiddy image, this is something Nintendo will never change

Let's talk after Manhunt 2 comes out.

And I enjoyed Julian slithering out of that "So if you love the Wii so much, why not make a game for it?" question with an answer that essentially amounted to "lol Sony moneyhats".

cvxfreak

Can't wait to see Capcom reveal Umbrella Chronicles. That may be one of the first Wii third party games to be respected on a graphical level.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Flo_Evans said:
hmm does wii do anything for GC games? will it run them in progressive scan if you have components?

If the game had a Prog Scan mode to begin with, then yes, the Wii (using component cables) will display them in Prog Scan.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
TheWolf said:
license the engine, Factor 5.
I dont understand why they wouldnt do this to be honest. As a small studio, they licensed their sound tech to nintendo for the gamecube so they should do the same for their graphics tech to other developers on the wii seeing as how they have no use for it anymore and how the current situation with shitty looking games on wii is panning out. Their own next gen engine is light years ahead of it anyway. It would be like epic refusing to license the ut2/2.5 engine out.

Branduil

He's right. If they would licence out their engine we could see some incredible looking SD games. Just imagine the RS engine with lots more ram.

I'm glad someone is calling them out. Most titles aren't even up to Gamecube standards. I mean shitty ass Gamecube standards.

And when we started hearing about the wii's limited visuals, folks were saying "Oh I could live with games that looked like Resident Evil 4" Fat chance so far since everyone seems to be short changing us.

aeolist

Banned
Uh, guys, RTFA. He says in an earlier question that their involvement with the Wii extends pretty much just to licensing their tech out to interested third parties. If someone wants their graphics engine I'm sure F5 will let them use it.

BrodiemanTTR said:
Let's talk after Manhunt 2 comes out.

And I enjoyed Julian slithering out of that "So if you love the Wii so much, why not make a game for it?" question with an answer that essentially amounted to "lol Sony moneyhats".

Yeah, and we'll have the same talk we had after Conker came out... and Eternal Darkness... and BMX XXX... and Resident Evil... and Geist

As long as Nintendo itself refuses to make M-rated software a priority, their system will be the "kiddy" one. This is how it's ALWAYS been. Even the SNES, which got most of the same 3rd party games the Genesis got, was considered the console for younger players.

Manhunt 2 will change nothing about the Wii's image. Even if it's a success, it will only be a flash in the pan.

As for Factor 5-- they're merely treading the line of the company they're currently associated with. Who knows who they'll be with in 5 years.

SumGamer

KTallguy said:
Because Wii is for kids. Kids don't need "rim lighting" and "bump mapping".

It's sarcasm folks.

All they need is Manhunt 2 :lol :lol

Just a joke of course.

KTallguy

Banned
SumGamer said:
All they need is Manhunt 2 :lol :lol

Just a joke of course.

I smell something fishy about Manhunt 2 though.

I have a feeling that it's going to be a step backward in violence and gore (not because of Wii or anything, but just because of heightened media sensitivity).

Is it just me or did this come off as kind of smug? It's like Kobe Bryant saying "Well, I scored 81 points last year...why can't anyone else do it...they're using the same ball." :lol

They're obviously one of the most proficient developers out there, maybe they should license more than sound and compression tools.

aeolist said:
Uh, guys, RTFA. He says in an earlier question that their involvement with the Wii extends pretty much just to licensing their tech out to interested third parties. If someone wants their graphics engine I'm sure F5 will let them use it.
You assume here. He specifically mentions licensing MusyX and DivX, which they've been doing for years.

BuzzJive

Have Factor 5 ever published any articles on this kind of stuff? They did have some pretty nice tech in their engine - and since they aren't doing Wii games anymore - it sure would be cool if they shared some of that info.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
gamecube LAUNCH 2001

StarWars002.jpg

Wing Island 2007:

scr_057.jpg

gamecube LAUNCH 2001:

18.jpg

Wing Island 2007:

scr_055.jpg

PATHETIC

In reference to the original quote, well said. He's absolutely right, and looking through the Wii screenshot thread confirms this--graphics run the gamut from decidedly "next gen" to sub-GameCube. There's no reason for a game to not look impressive on Wii outside of sheer laziness; though it's not nearly as powerful as its competitors, I don't feel as though it's "underpowered," as the excuse often goes.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It's so ****ing pathetic that there hasn't been a single Wii game that can beat F5's GC games. :/

krypt0nian said:
I'm glad someone is calling them out. Most titles aren't even up to Gamecube standards. I mean shitty ass Gamecube standards.

And when we started hearing about the wii's limited visuals, folks were saying "Oh I could live with games that looked like Resident Evil 4" Fat chance so far since everyone seems to be short changing us.

Wii games will look shit hot in 2008.

Amir0x

Banned
Charlatanized said:
In reference to the original quote, well said. He's absolutely right, and looking through the Wii screenshot thread confirms this--graphics run the gamut from decidedly "next gen" to sub-GameCube. There's no reason for a game to not look impressive on Wii outside of sheer laziness; though it's not nearly as powerful as its competitors, I don't feel as though it's "underpowered," as the excuse often goes.

there's no decidedly next-gen looking game currently out for Wii, but there's also very few games that compete with some of the high range Gamecube titles. That's the problem, not the fact that its games will never be able to compete with PS3/360.

If they actually got games up to RE4 level from time to time, the pill would be easier to swallow for some people.

Anyway, it's early, and many devs were caught with their pants down... there will be more Super Mario Galaxies, and even things like Dewy are starting to use more fancy techniques

No.1

It's true.

Not only are third-parties porting the sloppy seconds to Wii, but from a technical point-of-view there's absolutely nothing outstanding on the console being shown or released (Metroid & Mario are probably the only visually appealing games).

I'm not really a happy Wii gamer at the moment - in fact it's sort of discouraging to see Nintendo offering the same issues that hurt their previous consoles (lack of titles throughout the year, limited to Nintendo support).

painey

it is scaring me that these simple, ugly, childish games are outselling complex, beautiful, online games. Sooner or later developers are going to stop trying to go forward with the 360/PS3 when they know they can knock out a game for the wii in half the time, with half the budget and sell twice as many copies

adg1034

Amir0x said:
Anyway, it's early, and many devs were caught with their pants down... there will be more Super Mario Galaxies, and even things like Dewy are starting to use more fancy techniques

Is... is he defending a Nintendo home console? I didn't think I'd ever see the day...

Amir0x

Banned
painey said:
it is scaring me that these simple, ugly, childish games are outselling complex, beautiful, online games. Sooner or later developers are going to stop trying to go forward with the 360/PS3 when they know they can knock out a game for the wii in half the time, with half the budget and sell twice as many copies

Well, fortunately, many of these companies already have huge funds invested in 360 and PS3... so we will still get plenty of content before they decide it's not worth it to put forth actual effort.

adg1034 said:
Is... is he defending a Nintendo home console? I didn't think I'd ever see the day...

you shoulda been here when I first got here, adg, people confused me with a nintendo fanboy! That was before the industry exploded into a pile of suck with the handheld war and next-gen war, though. Now I have nothing but bitter for all companies.

Christopher

painey said:

my thoughts exactly dude

Top Bottom