• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes July 15th

Chobel

What about Pachter's Wii U predictions in Nov and Dec 2013?

Nov 2013 Prediction: 150K
Nov 2013 reality: 223K
Off by -73K

Dec 2013 Prediction: 550K
Dec 2013 reality: 481K
Off by +69K

The Llama

The MCC is huge with the core Halo community, as we've seen on forums, reddit, and other enthusiast sites; however, these are people that already own an X1, or were planning to buy one anyways for Halo 5. The issues is that I don't believe that hype will carry over to the mainstream that makes the series huge. To them, it'll just be "those games I played years ago". Why bother with that when there's a brand new CoD, Destiny (from Bungie no less), Evolve, etc.

Much like TF, people are pinning too much of their hopes on one game and just like in March, I think they're setting themselves for disappointment. If throwing in a free copy of the most overhyped game this decades along with retail wide price cuts didn't help, a remaster of old games won't do much either, even if those old games are Halo (which I honestly do think has taken a hit in terms of brand). MS will have to wait till Halo 5 to get their heavy hitter, and by then the gap will be way, way bigger. WW, this holiday season is going to be pretty much a bloodbath. Last year wasn't so bad since it was launch time, but this year, it's not even going to be remotely close.

What I bolded is exactly what I meant. Not sure how much Halo 5 is gonna do for the XB1, though. It'll have to be a good game on its own merits, not just living off the name.

That said, I REALLY hope the MCC comes to PC, or else I'll have to buy an XB1 at some point to play it hah.

Lefein

Banned
it was Reggie who made a comment that make some believe in this right? I remember a few gaffers arguing using that as a fact almost in the last NPD thread.

Yeah I doubt they will have their expectations met this Thursday

I remain cautiously optimistic for the WiiU. MK8 launched in the last day of May and then they had a very strong E3. If the WiiU breaks triple digits, there could be life left in the old girl, yet.

TraBuch

Banned
What about Pachter's Wii U predictions in Nov and Dec 2013?

Nov 2013 Prediction: 150K
Nov 2013 reality: 223K
Off by -73K

Dec 2013 Prediction: 550K
Dec 2013 reality: 481K
Off by +69K

This means the Wii U will either sell about 130K or < 0 this month.

it was Reggie who made a comment that make some believe in this right? I remember a few gaffers arguing using that as a fact almost in the last NPD thread.

Reggie said the following comment in a June 11th interview:

Question: Will the Wii U ever outsell the Xbox One or PlayStation 4?

Reggie: The dirty little secret is if you look at life-to-date numbers, between Sony and Nintendo they&#8217;d be pretty close in terms of PS4 vs. Wii U, with Xbox coming in third place. I think it&#8217;s going to be a three-horse race for the balance of this cycle.

Question: Will you ever outsell them on a monthly basis?

Reggie: You know, it&#8217;s going to be very interesting to see the NPD data [on U.S. sales] for June.

Into

Right now the momentum is just in PS4s court, they aligned their system with Watch_Dogs promotional work, their own release in TLOU and Destiny hype train. That momentum will be hard if not impossible to break.

But they will have CoD and Halo Collection for the holiday season to maybe help them edge the PS4 out, for a month or two at least. Its not a long term solution at all, we saw how a original release in Halo 4 fell of the face of the earth so quickly, so 4 games in a compilation disc will struggle to remain relevant for any length of period of time, same goes for TLOU remaster. And Halo 4 is a numbered sequel that come out for a gigantic 360 audience and still just vanished quite fast. CoD's relevancy is diminishing, unless the new game can truly breathe new life into it.

If Destiny does take off then PS4 will be the one that likely benefits the most from it. XB1 will also benefit, but to a lesser degree obviously. If Xb1 does less than 150k then i dont really know what to say

What I bolded is exactly what I meant. Not sure how much Halo 5 is gonna do for the XB1, though. It'll have to be a good game on its own merits, not just living off the name.

That said, I REALLY hope the MCC comes to PC, or else I'll have to buy an XB1 at some point to play it hah.

I think come 2015, a $299 X1 with Halo 5 will help them out a lot in NA/little NA (UK). Maybe $250 for Black Friday? It won't close the gap but it'll keep them from dropping behind even further.... of course, that's assuming it's good. If it's just another 343 blunder, they'll probably kill off the series once and for all. I do think it'll be the lowest selling Halo so far though and UC4 will easily outsell it.

Lefein

Banned
Right now the momentum is just in PS4s court, they aligned their system with Watch_Dogs promotional work, their own release in TLOU and Destiny hype train. That momentum will be hard if not impossible to break.

But they will have CoD and Halo Collection for the holiday season to maybe help them edge the PS4 out, for a month or two at least. Its not a long term solution at all, we saw how a original release in Halo 4 fell of the face of the earth so quickly, so 4 games in a compilation disc will struggle to remain relevant for any length of period of time, same goes for TLOU remaster. And Halo 4 is a numbered sequel that come out for a gigantic 360 audience and still just vanished quite fast. CoD's relevancy is diminishing, unless the new game can truly breathe new life into it.

If Destiny does take off then PS4 will be the one that likely benefits the most from it. XB1 will also benefit, but to a lesser degree obviously. If Xb1 does less than 150k then i dont really know what to say

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't more people buy Ghosts on the PS4 than on the XBone?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't more people buy Ghosts on the PS4 than on the XBone?

Yes, WW, but in NA, the X1 sold slightly better (though, Ghosts had KZSF to compete with on PS4). I don't think exclusive marketing will help the X1 much this gen around. Like last gen with the 360, it's helping the PS4 right now because Sony's got the mindshare. People know CoD is coming to PlayStation. Now compare that to many people (even on this Forum) who think Destiny is timed or full on PS4 exclusive. It's very different.

I think come 2015, a $299 X1 with Halo 5 will help them out a lot in NA/little NA (UK). Maybe $250 for Black Friday? It won't close the gap but it'll keep them from dropping behind even further.... of course, that's assuming it's good. If it's just another 343 blunder, they'll probably kill off the series once and for all. I do think it'll be the lowest selling Halo so far though and UC4 will easily outsell it.

With the userbase numbers, it being made by 343 and Uncharted 4's likely 60fps/1080 Corinne Yu inspired godliness, I am pretty sure Uncharted 4 could sell more than Halo 5.

B.O.O.M

I remain cautiously optimistic for the WiiU. MK8 launched in the last day of May and then they had a very strong E3. If the WiiU breaks triple digits, there could be life left in the old girl, yet.

I was and still am on the stance that a digital event not having the same level of impact as a live presser. I know I got a lot of heat for this last time around but I stand by it and I think the numbers will back me up.

That said I do hope the system does well. Unlike Sony with vita Nintendo actually supports the system. Even if it's because they understand that the home console market is vital for them going forward while Sony may not think the same with dedicated handheld market, it's still impressive to me...especially as a vita owner.

But yeah I was thinking 100-105k Max for this month for WiiU. That won't be a great result either sadly

Reggie said the following comment in a June 11th interview:

Question: Will the Wii U ever outsell the Xbox One or PlayStation 4?

Reggie: The dirty little secret is if you look at life-to-date numbers, between Sony and Nintendo they’d be pretty close in terms of PS4 vs. Wii U, with Xbox coming in third place. I think it’s going to be a three-horse race for the balance of this cycle.

Question: Will you ever outsell them on a monthly basis?

Reggie: You know, it’s going to be very interesting to see the NPD data [on U.S. sales] for June.

LOL well he isn't wrong technically...it really would be interesting to see them!

So Pachter's 67.5K Wii U prediction, according to precedent for these types of months, should be within 10K of the actual number.

If Patcher's # is only 10k off from the real thing,..then that is very sad for Wii U, and that's just being nice about it. And here I am, thinking it'd outsell XBO this month. Thanks Reggie.

But maybe they'll hit a miracle and this is another outlier month for Patcher...hitting way below the real figure.

Well...the rankings have been flip-flopping. The Xbox One version outsold the PS4 version in 2013, but recently the PS4 version has been selling better month-to-month.

November 2013:
360 > PS3 > PS4 > XBO > PC > Wii U

December 2013:
360 > PS3 > XBO > PS4 > Wii U > PC

November + December 2013:
360 > PS3 > XBO > PS4 > PC > Wii U

January 2014:
360 > PS3 > XBO > PS4 > WII U > PC

February 2014:
360 > PS3 > XBO > PS4 > WII U > PC

March 2014:
360 > PS4 > PS3 > XBO > WII U > PC

April 2014:

May 2014:

Hoo-doo

Banned
My mind is going to be blown if the 100$ pricecut and Kinect jettison will still have XB1 trailing behind in sales. I don't believe it'll happen. They have to have sold a lot more this month.

But if they didn't, and this panic-button move is paying little dividends, there will be meltdowns @ the Redmond offices. That's for sure.

donny2112

So let's see how Pachter tends to fare in his Wii U predictions.

Pachter:

January 2013 Prediction: 125K
January 2013 Reality: 57K
Off by: +68K

February 2013 Prediction: 80K
February 2013 Reality: 66K
Off by: +14K

March 2013 Prediction: 55K
March 2013 Reality: 68K
Off by: -13K

April 2013 Prediction: 55K
April 2013 Reality: 37K
Off by: +18K

May 2013 Prediction: 32K
May 2013 Reality: 33K
Off by: -1K

June 2013 Prediction: 38K
June 2013 Reality: 42K
Off by: -4K

January 2014 Prediction: 60K
January 2014 Reality: 49K
Off by: +11K

If we dismiss January 2013 as an outlier:

Off by: +14K
Off by: -13K
Off by: +18K
Off by: -1K
Off by: -4K
Off by: +11K
=
Average deviation: +/- 10K

Using % off might be a better metric with Wii U being so low. That's one of the reasons Wii U isn't part of the points calculation, since a small units difference can be a large % difference.

If we dismiss January 2013 as an outlier:

Off by: +14K (+21%)
Off by: -13K (-19%)
Off by: +18K (+49%)
Off by: -1K (-3%)
Off by: -4K (-10%)
Off by: +11K (+22%)
=
Average deviation: +/- 10K (+/-21%, min: 3% off, max: 49% off)

Hey donny2112, just for your records, Pachter also gave a 3DS estimate.

3DS: 118K

You know, so it doesn't mess with Pachter's ranking this month. ;-)

Thanks!

Lefein

Banned
I know it is not related but the MS shipment figures for the last quarter will be released next Tuesday.

See, now that's the thing that really has me scratching my chin right here. How many SKUs has there been of the XBox One now?
Day One Edition
Standard Edition w/ Kinect
Titanfall Edition
Standard Edition w/o Kinect

Am I missing anything? Seems like they've been throwing the kitchen sink out there trying to stuff the channels with shipped units IMHO.

ethomaz

Banned
Am I missing anything? Seems like they've been throwing the kitchen sink out there trying to stuff the channels with shipped units IMHO.
They already said they will work with retail inventory in last quarter... so I expect low shipments (way less than 1 million for XB1).

I guess some cases they just unbundled the Kinect from the XB1 boxes... is that possible?

giphy.gif

My mind is going to be blown if the 100$ pricecut and Kinect jettison will still have XB1 trailing behind in sales. I don't believe it'll happen. They have to have sold a lot more this month.

But if they didn't, and this panic-button move is paying little dividends, there will be meltdowns @ the Redmond offices. That's for sure.

It's likely the XB1 will still be trailing this month but I don't think that means they need to hit any kind of panic button.

Most people don't buy consoles in June.

The new SKU will position them nicely for the fall when the Christmas shopping season begins.

Okay will give this a bash, I'm not the best at these things but hey its worth a go.

[360] 89k
[3DS] 110k
[PS3] 75k
[PS4] 245k
[WIU] 85k
[XB1] 135k

cakely

But they will have CoD and Halo Collection for the holiday season to maybe help them edge the PS4 out, for a month or two at least.

Aw, man I mis-read that. There is no CoD collection coming this year, is there. :(

As much as I malign that series I would totally jump on a CoD4 or MW2 remaster. I still go back to those games for the multiplayer on my Xbox 360.

Lefein

Banned
poislhing my acdning shsoe, hi ave a edat with a garve.

Am I doing it right?

OT:
[360] 70k
[3DS] 110k
[PS3] 55k
[PS4] 190k
[WIU] 140k
[XB1] 105k

Maybe if they had the MK8 bundle in stock. The internet was filled with people complaining about lack of stuff, and many passed up the Mario bundle. :(

I haven't looked in this thread at all.....but is the feeling that this is the NPD MS finally gets a month over Sony? Just wondering where the heads are at at this. Apologies for being a lazy reader.

I like seeing Sony do well, and I honestly thought MS would win the month Titanfall released...and considering Sony still put a whoopin' in that month, I'm a bit skeptical the price cut made the difference this time around, but it's a good shot me thinks.

I haven't looked in this thread at all.....but is the feeling that this is the NPD MS finally gets a month over Sony? Just wondering where the heads are at at this. Apologies for being a lazy reader.

I like seeing Sony do well, and I honestly thought MS would win the month Titanfall released...and considering Sony still put a whoopin' in that month, I'm a bit skeptical the price cut made the difference this time around, but it's a good shot me thinks.

The general sentiment here is that the $399 price cut will have quite a subdued effect on June sales. It might raise them twice above last month's horrid 77K, but not at the level that Xbox One will all of a sudden be a rousing success story.

The retail indications we have so far seem to indicate continued PS4 dominance.

What the heck... I'll give it a shot. Probably miss by a light year or two though:

[PS4] 189k
[XB1] 125k
[WIU] 85k
[360] 67k
[PS3] 45k
[3DS] 110k

The general sentiment here is that the $399 price cut will have quite a subdued effect on June sales. It might raise them twice above last month's horrid 77K, but not at the level that Xbox One will all of a sudden be a rousing success story.

The retail indications we have so far seem to indicate continued PS4 dominance.
Thank you much. Good info.

Wasn't the OG Xbox's GPU pretty advanced and a bit ahead of its time? I remember it was some sort of GeForce 3 variant, but I think it had some tech that wasn't really used until the GeForce 4 (I could just be making that up though XD).

Missed this post the first time round.

I'm not too familiar with the technical specifications of the older consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if MS ordered a slightly customized variant of the GeForce 3 that did things a bit uniquely as that was how consoles were designed for the most part back then with little bits of more advanced tech than generally available.

Would the recent offers by MS and stores like Target ($75 back and a $50 gift card if I remember right) suggest that XB1 sales are still sluggish for July?

Well I won't claim to know that XB1 is doing "poorly" in July based on their promotions but I will certainly claim that it can be logically inferred that it's still not selling as well as some retailers and/or MS want it to sell even in these slow summer months lest we wouldn't be getting these rather large promotions.

Also Amazon rankings suggest that XB1 sales have probably dropped off a bit in July. PS4 might've as well but seemingly not to the same extent

Code:
Console   [URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-06/videogames/?tag=viglink20241-20#1"]June[/URL] [URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-07/videogames/?tag=viglink20241-20#1"]July[/URL]
PS4 STD |  8    12
XB1 KL  |  49   59
XB1 STD |  ?    ?
XB1 TF  |  50   ?

* ? = Did not chart in Top 100 for the month, XB1 KL = Kinectless, XB1 STD = Kinect SKU, XB1 TF = Titanfall Bundle

Obviously Amazon rankings have to be taken with a large grain of salt but they are still interesting. It would seem Amazon finally ran out of TF bundles and yet no other XB1 SKU is charting to replace it.

Lefein

Banned
Missed this post the first time round.

I'm not too familiar with the technical specifications of the older consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if MS ordered a slightly customized variant of the GeForce 3 that did things a bit uniquely as that was how consoles were designed for the most part back then with little bits of more advanced tech than generally available.

Well I won't claim to know that XB1 is doing "poorly" in July based on their promotions but I will certainly claim that it can be logically inferred that it's still not selling as well as some retailers and/or MS want it to sell even in these slow summer months lest we wouldn't be getting these rather large promotions.

Also Amazon rankings suggest that XB1 sales have probably dropped off a bit in July. PS4 might've as well but seemingly not to the same extent

Code:
Console   [URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-06/videogames/?tag=viglink20241-20#1"]June[/URL] [URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-07/videogames/?tag=viglink20241-20#1"]July[/URL]
PS4 STD |  8    12
XB1 KL  |  49   59
XB1 STD |  ?    ?
XB1 TF  |  50   ?

* ? = Did not chart in Top 100 for the month, XB1 KL = Kinectless, XB1 STD = Kinect SKU, XB1 TF = Titanfall Bundle

Obviously Amazon rankings have to be taken with a large grain of salt but they are still interesting. It would seem Amazon finally ran out of TF bundles and yet no other XB1 SKU is charting to replace it.

Why leave out the Destiny Bundle PS4? Just curious.

Top Bottom