• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes July 12th

donny2112

Getting something out there, as I'm pretty sure I'm going to be loaded (with work) the rest of the week. Le-sigh...

[PS4] 260K
[XB1] 190K
[3DS] 110K
[WIU] 25K

Given Overwatch was No2 digital download for June it should rank pretty nicely come NPD time. Unless of course it's moving the bulk of its units digitally

Tubie

Given Overwatch was No2 digital download for June it should rank pretty nicely come NPD time. Unless of course it's moving the bulk of its units digitally

I feel like it's the type of game that would do better digitally than the average game.

Fdkn

Is there any particular reason it would do better than normal digitally on console?

online only, pick up and play in short sessions so it benefits from being always installed and no disc swaps.

And the file size is relatively small too, so another bonus.

Welfare

Looks like the Xbox One is keeping its price drop until at least July 24th. From the 11th to the 24th, Gamestop is including a $30 gift card.

xboxoffers_7_8_2.jpg

I gotta believe that Pokemon Go is going to have far reaching implications.

It's pretty easy to envision a future that sees this as a major shift in perception for the mobile gaming market amongst traditional core gamers.

Anyone that thinks dedicated handhelds has a future are going to be very disappointed I think.

Moskalova

NPD finally launches digital tracking to address "long-standing need"

Today, NPD is finally taking that first step to offer a more complete picture of the entire games market as it's unveiled its digital point-of-sale (POS) sourced service, tracking SKU-level sales data on digital games.

The usual report on physical sales data will now be combined with digital sales data and issued on July 21 instead of July 14; it's expected to follow that cadence (the third data Thursday of the month) moving forward. Initially, NPD has gained the support of major publishers like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, Square Enix, Take-Two, Deep Silver and Warner Bros. There are notable exceptions, however, like Bethesda as well as first-party publishers like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, but NPD analyst Liam Callahan promised that more publishers would be signing on as the service evolves.

More in the link

I made a thread for the news

Bgamer90

Banned

It's pretty easy to envision a future that sees this as a major shift in perception for the mobile gaming market amongst traditional core gamers.

Anyone that thinks dedicated handhelds has a future are going to be very disappointed I think.

I'm really amazed at how popular it is right now. Wondering if it will still be a big thing 2 months from now or if it will suddenly fade away like Draw Something.

bombshell

LMAO. What a time. Gain one thing then lose another.

PS4 was winning everything, so it's not a big loss in the short term (until Scorpio). The bigger loss will be the lack of "Wow, CoD sold most on Xbox One?", "No, bundles, bundles, BUNDLES!" conversation in the results thread. :p

cooperma

I hope this isn't the case as seeing the State the game launched in makes me fear for the future.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I fear that NPD charts containing both titles including digital sales and others excluding digital sales, while removing one of the elements of interest (i.e. platform rankings), with no data outside of leaks as always...yeah, they've become less worthy of attention to me, and I'm not happy to say it.

LordRaptor

I don't see why, it has less in common with its base game template than other titles such as Hitman Go or Rayman Jungle Run does to appeal to a core gamer.
Unless its just "finally a franchise that didn't originate on Mobile in the first place has hit it big", which I personally don't think is a particularly compelling argument.

I don't see why, it has less in common with its base game template than other titles such as Hitman Go or Rayman Jungle Run does to appeal to a core gamer.
Unless its just "finally a franchise that didn't originate on Mobile in the first place has hit it big", which I personally don't think is a particularly compelling argument.
The point is that not many mobile games have caused such fuzz on GAF. It should even do well in the GOTY polls.
And if mobile can win over those purists, it could become a gaming device that no real gamer is ashamed of.

So aren't the predictions threads now useless? Unless we know we'll get a leak.

Talkin software. No changes to hardware. Prediction threads for hw will be fine, but predicting rankings for sw will be dumb.

I fear that NPD charts containing both titles including digital sales and others excluding digital sales, while removing one of the elements of interest (i.e. platform rankings), with no data outside of leaks as always...yeah, they've become less worthy of attention to me, and I'm not happy to say it.

Agreed.

I wonder how they convinced the publishers to give digital numbers.
Does this also include sales of, f.ex, ubisoft games sold through PSN?

I wonder how they convinced the publishers to give digital numbers.
Does this also include sales of, f.ex, ubisoft games sold through PSN?

The Digital Leader Panel established in 2013 was a group of publishers that volunteered to share the info in the interests of having better information with which to make business decisions.

Some publishers believe in this sharing principle, others do not. Particularly those with leadership positions in digital. They don't really want to share information they see as a competitive advantage.

Yes it would include full game sales on PSN, XBL and Steam from Ubi and the other participating publishers.

[PS4] 220K
[XB1] 180K
[WIU] 22K
[3DS] 125K

Awesome that NPD will be tracking digital in the future, sorely needed and long overdue these days!

With respect to games in the Top 10, I predict the following maybe possibly:

- Overwatch #1.
- Uncharted Top 3.
- DOOM Top 5.
- Mighty No. 9 certainly won't be above 9 ;-)

So we gained digital, but we loose a bunch of other stats?!?!?

Sorry... I had to.

Real question though, will they show the split between physical and digital?

Real question though, will they show the split between physical and digital?
Also: will they only count "copies"?
Digital can easily be discounted, so we could see bizarre entries in the charts if heavy discounts are given.
Limbo was the #1 on the Steam summer sale. It was for free.
The Digital Leader Panel established in 2013 was a group of publishers that volunteered to share the info in the interests of having better information with which to make business decisions.

Some publishers believe in this sharing principle, others do not. Particularly those with leadership positions in digital. They don't really want to share information they see as a competitive advantage.
Thanks. Will be interesting to see if the big guys will join. There really seems to be no benefit here. And NPD won't pay them I guess as in the end they want to make money with the data, not lose some.

Top Bottom