• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Junichi Masuda talks about the future for Pokémon on Nintendo Switch

watershed

Banned
I sure am terrified this isn't actually going to be a mainline style Pokemon game.

Of course it's going to be a mainline Pokemon game. If anything the style will be too similar to traditional Pokemon games for those hoping for reinvention or some kind of BOTW style freshness. From the Game Informer coverage, it sounds like it will be the Pokemon everyone knows, for better or worse.

Of course it's going to be a mainline Pokemon game. If anything the style will be too similar to traditional Pokemon games for those hoping for reinvention or some kind of BOTW style freshness. From the Game Informer coverage, it sounds like it will be the Pokemon everyone knows, for better or worse.

Sun and Moon is quite a recent change to the Pokemon gameplay structure though and I wouldn't mind seeing that improved instead of the old 8 gyms.

But it's going to be a mainline style game. That's already confirmed.

But this is a mainline Pokémon game.

It is. They said it's a new core game, by gamefreak. Gamefreak only makes mainline games.

As soon as I saw this at the top of the page, I knew this was coming.

I agree that this will be by the main dev, and I agree that it will be considered the next step in Pokemon's main games (Really only because I see no way forward for them in the coming years for the 3DS), but what this game ends up being is not something I'm yet convinced of. I feel like they've commented on the game's style enough at this point, that I'm starting to wonder what it will actually be like when it's done. Maybe it needs reinvention anyway, but I'm worried where it will rest by the time it releases.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I mean, they were literally just redoing what they had already done. It wasn't a brand new game they were doing from scratch, so they were only worried about making sure it was how people remembered (For better or worse).

They already added a lot of new stuff into the remake so adjusting the levels wouldn't have made that much of the different, especially when Kanto in the Johto remake is nothing like the original.

They haven't actually tried to do the two region thing (or some sort of large post-game) in a long time. And even though it was half-assed, people still ended up liking it quite a bit. I don't get the logic behind never wanting them to try to be ambitious like that again. ESPECIALLY since it was so long ago.

Because the two region thing just doesn't work as both region suffers as one get over shadowed by the other and the other just ends up feeling hollow and barren.

I rather play a fully fleshed out single region than two subpar regions.

I sure am terrified this isn't actually going to be a mainline style Pokemon game.

Then you need to read the article as Game Freak is specifically talking about how to adjust the series from a handheld to a console and how to please both style.

Plus they said core series at E3 which means main series.

mebizzle

The multi-region thing is what I want them to go back to more than anything else. Alola in its current state isn't enough and I think if that is their design philosophy going forward on the amount of content, a Switch game would hugely benefit from having multiple regions (going off to Kanto to chase Lillie, maybe a big expansion opening Johto later on)

TDLink

They already added a lot of new stuff into the remake so adjusting the levels wouldn't have made that much of the different, especially when Kanto in the Johto remake is nothing like the original.

Because the two region thing just doesn't work as both region suffers as one get over shadowed by the other and the other just ends up feeling hollow and barren.

I rather play a fully fleshed out single region than two subpar regions.

Okay but they didn't change the remake. Point is it wasn't a brand new game. Them making certain decisions on a title almost 20 years ago should have 0 bearing on what they can or can't accomplish with a new game.

Just because it ended up feeling "Hollow and barren" that one time, does not mean the same will be true if they attempt it again.

It's such a terrible argument to say that any idea shouldn't be tried again just because the first time had poor execution, especially with such a large gap of time.

Personally I don't think multiple regions are necessary -if- that one region is more fleshed out and considerably larger. It's not really about people wanting multiple regions, it's about people wanting a larger game world. And substantial "post game" content. Because for a RPG Pokemon tends to be on the short side, and also -very- samey (although Sun and Moon notably was different in its structure for once, so that's a positive sign for the future).

TDLink

If the next game is going to be more story focused, I imagine it's going to be more linear.

The game can still be linear and simultaneously be open, allowing you to freely move in a 3D space with a player controlled camera. That's like the realistic next step. Not jumping straight to an open-ended open world.

Nanashrew

Banned
The game can still be linear and simultaneously be open, allowing you to freely move in a 3D space with a player controlled camera. That's like the realistic next step. Not jumping straight to an open-ended open world.

Maybe. But since they've been getting more and more story focused with Pokemon, they have gotten more and more linear.

barber

If the next game is going to be more story focused, I imagine it's going to be more linear.
You can't go more linear than S/M really. If anything, I hope they increase the size of the areas with more discoverable ones after getting MO/pokemon to make it more metroidvania sort to say (instead of the only 2-3 ones you can find in the endgame).
So, where is the pokemon team going on holidays?

watershed

Banned
I hope the next Pokemon game gives the player mutiple narrative threads they can progress at their own pace. It doesn't have to be an open world environment, but just multiple active quests that can be progressed seperately in each region. That alone would break up the super linearity like we had in Sun/Moon. Having only 1 important thing to do at a time really limits the sense of adventure.

Nanashrew

Banned
You can't go more linear than S/M really. If anything, I hope they increase the size of the areas with more discoverable ones after getting MO/pokemon to make it more metroidvania sort to say (instead of the only 2-3 ones you can find in the endgame).
So, where is the pokemon team going on holidays?

Yeah, S/M locking things away until you did a certain thing. Though there's plenty of complaints about Black and White and its linearity to accommodate story, Sun and Moon kinda takes the cake on linearity.

LotusHD

Banned

I agree that this will be by the main dev, and I agree that it will be considered the next step in Pokemon's main games (Really only because I see no way forward for them in the coming years for the 3DS), but what this game ends up being is not something I'm yet convinced of. I feel like they've commented on the game's style enough at this point, that I'm starting to wonder what it will actually be like when it's done. Maybe it needs reinvention anyway, but I'm worried where it will rest by the time it releases.

I'm really failing to see the cause for worry here.

Joqu

Considering Niantic can't even get GO working right, I'm not surprised at all

Oh yeah, I haven't been playing Pokemon Go a lot lately so Niantic's antics haven't been on my mind as much, but you're right. It's probably on them. It's a bummer because some proper integration would get me back into it in an instant.

*Dying*

Wow that's awesome. I couldn't respond as I heard about it while on my way to bed. That they actually spoke my username was incredible.

[...]

I was starting to get worried you missed all this, I'm glad that's not the case. :')

And I mean, I'd hurry up and beat Moon if I were in your place. It might not be your dream Pokemon game but you don't get your username spoken out loud by these people everyday. I'm jealous lol

Syntsui

When someone that makes a product tells you to don't set your expectations to high, the odds of the product being shit are immense. He needs some PR training, people will freak out with this comment.

I wonder if we will ever get a Stadium 3?

I know it's not the best in terms of satisfying the RPG / collect a thon itch but my kid loves playing Stadium 2, so I guess I just want more.

Honestly Stadium isn't really needed anymore with how far the games have come since then.

Neoxon

When someone that makes a product tells you to don't set your expectations to high, the odds of the product being shit are immense. He needs some PR training, people will freak out with this comment.
To be fair, have you seen what some people are asking for?

Terrell

Well, my wants for a console Pokemon game of the same or similar style to the handheld games are pretty small, but I imagine that some folks will tell me I'm being ridiculous to think they're feasible:

- Make the natural environments not look like they were built primarily with square tiles (Sun/Moon had some very modest improvements in this regard, but I think we should hope for more)
- Speaking of the natural environments, add things to the untraversible background that could maybe give you an idea of the Pokemon that can be caught in an area, rather than relying on GameFAQs or some-such to tell people (brief glimpses of wild Pokemon, for example, or things that suggest their presence)
- Fix the glut of battle text and streamline it significantly so that it doesn't slow the battle down (like, for example, displaying the text as the animations are happening on status effects and the like), preferably with legible but not oversized fonts
- With the lack of second screen and a much larger screen size to work with, streamline the battle menus for single-screen play
- with the very minimal visual improvements I've specified, perhaps 1080p60fps shouldn't be out of the question

I await people telling me how wrong and foolish I am to want these things

I wish the quoted me when I said pokemon games suck outside of the metagame and I can get that for free on Pokemon Showdown. :(

Until the takedown notice, anyways.

You can tell from the interview that they are only begrudgingly making a console Pokemon game. Fucking Game Freak. I should thank Nintendo for essentially forcing them to do so.

That's a pretty strange takeaway from all this. I don't see anything that supports this reasoning.

Here's Ohmori's full quote about story in Pokemon games from the new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgTUuEG96K4

Game Freak caring about the game's presentation? BALDERDASH! "Everyone" knows that they're lazy cynics who don't think anyone cares about improving the games, visually or otherwise!

.... seriously, this is how some of you come off when you talk about Pokemon.

Well, my wants for a console Pokemon game of the same or similar style to the handheld games are pretty small, but I imagine that some folks will tell me I'm being ridiculous to think they're feasible:

- Make the natural environments not look like they were built primarily with square tiles (Sun/Moon had some very modest improvements in this regard, but I think we should hope for more)
- Speaking of the natural environments, add things to the untraversible background that could maybe give you an idea of the Pokemon that can be caught in an area, rather than relying on GameFAQs or some-such to tell people (brief glimpses of wild Pokemon, for example, or things that suggest their presence)
- Fix the glut of battle text and streamline it significantly so that it doesn't slow the battle down (like, for example, displaying the text as the animations are happening on status effects and the like), preferably with legible but not oversized fonts
- With the lack of second screen and a much larger screen size to work with, streamline the battle menus for single-screen play
- with the very minimal visual improvements I've specified, perhaps 1080p60fps shouldn't be out of the question

I await people telling me how wrong and foolish I am to want these things

You're not, but I will point out that for the bolded the PokeNav did this wonderfully in ORAS, which makes the decision to remove it that much more infuriating.

No it's not. I've seen some justify it by saying they aim it at kids and kids don't care about post game so there's no reason to make it very fleshed out

Why do people point to kids every time someone complains about this series?

Ash lost again.
"Well you see, kids need to learn that it's okay to lose."

Best games in the series are the ones that went all out with their postgame. GSC and B2W2 and neither of those games had what I would call the best main campaign.

https://youtu.be/HgTUuEG96K4

New video about storytelling.

Seems like the Switch game will be even more story focused as they say that depends on how powerful is the hardware.

Awful news, the 10 minute constant cut scenes were the worst thing about Moon. And they didn't even have voice acting. But that's probably also too much to ask of Game Freak.

You're telling me a game with the basic premise of traveling around a country and finding and capturing creatures is inherently incompatible with a more open design structure? Does every trainer in the Pokemon world start in Pallet, Littleroot, Vaniville, and Iki and make their way around the region in the same linear fashion? It doesn't need to be Breath of the Wild, but seeing as one of the franchise's biggest products (Pokemon Go) focuses on going outside and traveling around wherever you want to catch Pokemon and visit landmarks, I don't understand why the main series has to be limited to corridors and limited freedom. I don't expect to ever see it only because Game Freak doesn't really need to do so in order to keep selling as many copies as they've been doing for years now, but I wouldn't say that Pokemon wouldn't work as an open world game. They simply don't care and aren't willing to put in the effort to make it a reality.

Unfortunately yeah, asking for any advancements in the series is brushed off as 'it wouldn't work'.

It would be amazing if you could actually go to a few places where you would either get smoked by wild Pokemon, or exploit weaknesses to actually get a win instead of the very linear slow progression of levels.

I wonder what kind of artstyle they'll be using... Cartoony like the mainline games or clean like Pokken/Pokemon Go/Gale of Darkness? The high res models they have now all seem to point toward Pokken/Pokemon Go. :'(

I wonder what kind of artstyle they'll be using... Cartoony like the mainline games or clean like Pokken/Pokemon Go/Gale of Darkness? The high res models they have now all seem to point toward Pokken/Pokemon Go. :'(

Picture a much cleaner/ more efficient/ up-to-date version of Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Aleh

They won't go for the Pokkén style, that's for sure. Not in terms of Pokémon and characters at least, the battle arenas are ok though.
I hope they'll keep the cel-shading but improve the colors of the Pokémon which currently look really dull and washed out on the 3DS. Couple that with (finally!) the use of lighting effects which are almost completely lacking from the 3DS games, and it should look pretty nice. The big bump in resolution should really help make people appreciate the Sugimori-inspired style

Mik317

Honestly S&M was a nice start in the right (or better direction at least) after X&Y proved the formula was getting old. The games were a bit harder, The rival, while still friendly, wasn't useless (plus you got two kinda), the villains were neat (IMO...although Guzma needed more screentime), and just overall it felt fresh.....until around near the end of the third island where it felt like they ran out of steam. By then, you quickly become unbeatable for the most part, the cut scene heaviness is at an all time high and in general you just kinda want it to be over at that point....which is bad. I enjoyed S&M a lot BUT I definately don't want to return to it...which sucks since even in the previous gens where I wasn't feeling it as much, I did that...

Outside of graphics and engine improvements. I want

- Better spread of pokemon. The Alola variants was neat but holy shit am I tired of Ratatas and Geodudes....new types or not...fuck. S&M biggest issue IMO was that the interesting pokemon had super low encounter rates so unless you looked it up, you could miss many of the main draw to a new game....new pokemon. But the selection of types and all that was lame overall IIRC....of course this is a balance thing more than likely...but still.

- Better level design. The past few gens have had pretty shit level design at times. With the extra power this should be the first improvement.

- More stuff to do..and reasons for doing them. Each gen adds some new feature only for it to go away. Stop it. Get some help. Put all that shit in...but also give the player reasons for doing it (TMs? IDK...something...). Perhaps add in some sidequest activities that require you to catch a certain type of pokemon...that would also add to the stuff to do.

- Keep making it harder or give people the option from jump to do so. S&M is a nice step up but by halfway through it kinda plataeus. The battles get actually fun again after level 50 is hit...how about the player gets to experience this a bit before the elite 4?

Some campaign changes

- Maybe not all 8 of whatever (trails or gyms...although I'd like to go back to gyms personally) but perhaps give the player some type of choice in which order they'll tackle gyms/trials? Now balance wise this is tough as the only solution is level scaling...which sucks but idk, one of the few things I do agree a lot of games (when applicable) should take from BOTW is the attack the game anyway you can approach. That would help replayability.

- More interaction with your squad. For a series that often does the whole "these are your friends doe" stuff, you sure are often cold towards them. Following is the dream but how about more? Ride pokemon was a great idea...until it was just some random pokemon and not your own.... with more power that should change.

- More customization from jump. I'm a sucker for that shit.

Gameplay stuff

- Late game trainers should use actual strategy. Strategy beyond IGOTZ 20 FULL RESTORES BITCHES. Also have more than 2 pokemon of the same type?..

- No offense to fans of these types but less gyms where you can just steamroll them with multiple different types...like Rock.

- Keep HMs dead....just gotta put that out there.

- But also bring back exploration for the fuck out it. With the added power; put rare pokemon in tough to reach areas...ones that aren't always legendaries.

- Make moving around fun in general. This isn't just for pokemon but games in general; so many games miss this...sometimes the most fun can be just flailing your character around the world imo.

Technical shit

- Cel Shaded graphics yo. It'll age rather well (and allow them to be cheap after this one with reuse).

- I personally don't want pokemon in the field as action eqsue premptive strikes stuff. Takes the fun out of catching them IMO. Maybe as blobs but that you look weird/bad.

- Make cities...cities and towns....towns. Basically if anything takes advantage of the added power, let it be the actual environments.

I doubt we get any of the above but I do think S&M is a great base if nothing else...GameFreak/Pokemon Company are listening...they are just rather slow...as S&M did improve on X&Y's shortcomings. But honestly, I am a ho so new pokemon is pretty much all it takes for me to be all in.

Why do people point to kids every time someone complains about this series?

Ash lost again.
"Well you see, kids need to learn that it's okay to lose."

Best games in the series are the ones that went all out with their postgame. GSC and B2W2 and neither of those games had what I would call the best main campaign.

TBF many kids don't even beat the games (or games in general). so there is some truth there...still a cop out answer overall. Kids are a lot smarter than many give them credit for (and sometimes not..but hey can't please everyone).

Aleh

S&M's was better imo, also had the best villain team in a loooooong time lol

Agreed. I feel like BW's story had a great climax but the rest wasn't anything special, Sun and Moon went deeper throughout the game although there's still room for improvement so hopefully Ultra SM will deliver.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I hope when people mean by good story they don't mean like SM's "I'll ruin this pacing and exploration by forcing you to watch this cutscene with this girl's terrible face animation".

S&M's was better imo, also had the best villain team in a loooooong time lol

I'd give it to RBY and B1W1 for best stories. SM had an interesting story, but the storytelling itself wasn't great, but it's still up there, maybe they can nail it with US/UM.

LotusHD

Banned
I'd give it to RBY and B1W1 for best stories. SM had an interesting story, but the storytelling itself wasn't great, but it's still up there, maybe they can nail it with US/UM.

RBY? What? Pretty much only BW and S&M have really tried in that department lol

Boss Doggie

And before someone says anything, worldbuilding isn't storytelling, and most of the RBY worldbuilding is actually crappy the more you look at it and doesn't really hold up beyond novelty.

If anything it just solidifies my view of Kanto being a backwash, backwater of a region.

And before someone says anything, worldbuilding isn't storytelling, and most of the RBY worldbuilding is actually crappy the more you look at it and doesn't really hold up beyond novelty.

If anything it just solidifies my view of Kanto being a backwash, backwater of a region.

That doesn't really sound logical. It disregards that Kanto was GF's first attempt at a monster catching RPG vs. other games which were refinements to the existing formula. Had GameFreak cared to modernize Kanto with a compelling story of BW's quality, instead of doing the tired remake path they're doing with their older games, I think you'd have a different opinion.

Boss Doggie

That doesn't really sound logical. It disregards that Kanto was GF's first attempt at a monster catching RPG vs. other games which were refinements to the existing formula. Had GameFreak cared to modernize Kanto with a compelling story of BW's quality, instead of doing the tired remake path they're doing with their older games, I think you'd have a different opinion.

I'm talking specifically about the setting rather than creation. Crime is rampant, it's far off from the more modern city of Goldenrod, very superstitious zone (there's a difference between regions having myths vs. a region totally dedicated to those superstitions), you get what I mean. It's like what would happen if that one town in Sinnoh became a full-fledged region lol

KtSlime

In the interviews when they talk about having to rethink somethings for the Switch what they are likely talking about is making the game more friendly to those people who are afraid to take the game outside and find other trainers.

Macka

I loathe stories in Pokemon games. Vapid dialogue, forced cutscenes. They're just terrible imo. For that reason (among others), Black & White and Sun & Moon are easily the worst games in the series for me, because they push that crap the hardest. Team Skull was also painful in SM because they were downright irrelevant outside of randomly working for Lusamine, but they constantly popped up to waste time with their lame shtick.

Give me a Kanto level 'story' over that any day.

LotusHD

Banned
I loathe stories in Pokemon games. Vapid dialogue, forced cutscenes. They're just terrible imo. For that reason, Black & White and Sun & Moon are easily the worst stories in the series for me, because they push that crap the hardest. Team Skull was also painful in SM because they were downright irrelevant outside of being randomly working for Lusamine, but they constantly popped up to waste time with their lame shtick.

Give me a Kanto level 'story' over that any day.

That's what made them great tho

Top Bottom