• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JURASSIC WORLD a 'sci-fi terror adventure 22yrs after JP' News/Rumors/Info thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cuz feathers are fugly and lame.

Well, now you have done it. I can't let this statement sit unchallenged.

Mkos1TJ.jpg

AibSgKK.jpg

vUlKYUj.jpg

Bz3fh0r.jpg

Ekg2UuZ.jpg

qvSTo7d.jpg

jpWchIe.jpg

SsUq0Us.jpg

yFzDVL7.jpg

1hJovIW.gif

e8C8SnE.jpg

xGFvCGj.jpg

EaQNSrg.gif

yu2XkVO.jpg

jfLSuVF.jpg

yutyrannus_huali_by_cheungchungtat-d4v6nv1.jpg

8rx4kPu.jpg

oe40fyN.jpg

iDfXbsi.jpg

gCZbrcc.jpg

Yeah.

Toa TAK

Banned
Cuz feathers are fugly and lame.
No way, they're really cool. But even so, it's the reality of it. As a kid, when I learned dinosaus had feathers that rocked my world.

I just hope to see them brought to life in JP movie, since they're pretty much my favorite dino movies.
Well, now you have done it. I can't let this statement sit unchallenged.

Yeah.
Awesome pics. This is what I'm talking about.

I remain unmoved. No doubt all of those are cool looking but not what I think of when I think of JP. I think of big, scaly motherfuckers in dark shades of green, black and brown. Not weirdly colored & fluffy, regardless if that's how they really where. They look more like lizard baboons or mandrills to me. It can be visually impressive (the carnotaurus and first raptor are badass) but it lowers the fear factor substantially when they look more like angry crocodile chickens.

IDK if it was in here but I think I've said it before that the series definitely has it's own style when it comes to what sticks with the dinos so I don't think they should necessarily be held to what the dinosaurs where like irl when you have dinosaurs spitting venom, inaccurately sized, camouflaged, poisonous bites, etc. Honestly if the dinos are feathered I'll be really disappointed. That's not JP to me.

I remain unmoved. No doubt all of those are cool looking but not what I think of when I think of JP. I think of big, scaly motherfuckers in dark shades of green, black and brown. Not weirdly colored & fluffy, regardless if that's how they really where. They look more like lizard baboons or mandrills to me. It can be visually impressive (the carnotaurus and first raptor are badass) but it lowers the fear factor substantially when they look more like angry crocodile chickens.

IDK if it was in here but I think I've said it before that the series definitely has it's own style when it comes to what sticks with the dinos so I don't think they should necessarily be held to what the dinosaurs where like irl when you have dinosaurs spitting venom, inaccurately sized, camouflaged, poisonous bites, etc. Honestly if the dinos are feathered I'll be really disappointed. That's not JP to me.

Since the movies are analogous to Disneyland/world, I'll use a fitting analogy: Do you feel Steamboat Willie's design should have remained the same throughout the years? Never evolving into Mickey Mouse? Should the cartoons have stayed black and white despite the industry moving on to color? What about adding newer, modern rides to the parks? Should the Disney brand still be vintage and out of style simply because that's how it all started?

Carcetti

There's a pretty easy explanation for the feathers. They used frog DNA to supplement the amberized stuff in the first one, and frogs don't have feathers. They've refined the technique over the years, problem solved.

Toxi

Banned
There's a pretty easy explanation for the feathers. They used frog DNA to supplement the amberized stuff in the first one, and frogs don't have feathers. They've refined the technique over the years, problem solved.
So we're going with the lame frog knockoffs explanation.

Chuckie

Since the movies are analogous to Disneyland/world, I'll use a fitting analogy: Do you feel Steamboat Willie's design should have remained the same throughout the years? Never evolving into Mickey Mouse? Should the cartoons have stayed black and white despite the industry moving on to color? What about adding newer, modern rides to the parks? Should the Disney brand still be vintage and out of style simply because that's how it all started?

Yes, to be honest. Rest of your point still stands ofcourse, but oldskool mickey looks much better than the new one hahaha.

It's not that they are frogs but it was made pretty clear in the JP story that they are genetically modified dinosaurs which explains anomalies like dilophosaurus having a frill and spitting venom, trex not being able to see you if you don't move, and carnotaurs having camo

Let's not act like the books and movies employed the same level of scientific knowledge as the Ice Age franchise.

Rootbeer

Banned
The thread is gone from 4chan but there is an archive here. So do we know if this is legit or not? It feels legit, but at this point the hollywood formula is so easy to replicate, anyone could have come up with this stuff.

If the script (or a script) has "leaked" i'd be curious to examine it

Saw the first JP in theaters as a kid and always loved dinos, it's part of my DNA. The whole feathers thing is hard to adjust to, but apparently that won't be in the film, right?

Oh well. At least Dragons don't have feathers. Most of them, anyway. Or Godzilla.

Blablurn

The thread is gone from 4chan but there is an archive here. So do we know if this is legit or not? It feels legit, but at this point the hollywood formula is so easy to replicate, anyone could have come up with this stuff.

If the script (or a script) has "leaked" i'd be curious to examine it

Saw the first JP in theaters as a kid and always loved dinos, it's part of my DNA. The whole feathers thing is hard to adjust to, but apparently that won't be in the film, right?

Oh well. At least Dragons don't have feathers. Most of them, anyway. Or Godzilla.

Thanks a lot!

How is it a lame explanation, they were on the bleeding edge of genetic technology taking DNA from amber that was tens of millions of years old using techniques that no one had ever used to to fill in the gaps of the DNA that had been lost or corrupted over time and/or the process they used to extract it and to plug the holes they used lizard and frog DNA.

They didn't even know what they were growing, they just grew it until they had a viable embryo that hatched and they made guesses as to what the animal was.

A lot of the dinosaurs had loads of problems including behavioural problems and diseases so they would go back to the drawing board and mess about with the DNA to grow the animal again to see if they had fixed the problems.

Hammond and Wu were morally and ethically bankrupt, like Malcom said "You were so preoccupied with whether or not you could you didn't stop to think if you should..." one was doing it for money, the other doing it to make a name for himself.

The dinos in Jurassic Park weren't the dinosaurs that lived in the past, they were dinosaurs created and engineered so that they would appeal to the visitors of the park.

So enough with the "blah blah lame explanation" comments.

We wouldn't want to blemish the ironclad lore and mythos of Jurassic Park with feathers, now, would we?

I hope the Spinosaur is back and kills all the T-Rexes, btw.

Full interview (if someone else wants to make a thread, go ahead. I'm trying to cut back on JW threads, haha)

IGN: Writing and directing a Jurassic Park movie is a pretty big step-up from Safety Not Guaranteed in terms of scope and scale. What’s been the biggest challenge thus far?

Colin Trevorrow: Getting the script right was the tough part. There are a hundred different ways to tell any story, finding the right one takes persistence. Jurassic Park movies don’t fit into a specific genre. They’re sci-fi adventures that also have to be funny, emotional and scary as hell. That takes a lot of construction, but it can’t feel designed. The characters have to be authentic, the situations real. Derek [Connolly, co-writer on the film] and I started with a blank page and worked all the way through the summer. The process got easier when we decided not to rush to meet that 2014 release date. There just wasn’t enough time. Steven [Spielberg] had the foresight to make that call, the studio was supportive, and I couldn’t be more grateful.

IGN: Can you tell us anything about how the film will look?

Trevorrow: We’re shooting 35mm and 65mm film. We’re also using an aspect ratio that hasn’t been seen theatrically in a very long time. The movie will be presented in 2 to 1. It’s basically a middle ground between 2.35 and 1.85. It allows us enough height to fit humans and dinosaurs into a single frame, without giving up that sense of scope. It’s very close to the ratio of the digital IMAX screens, so it will look great in large format. I think other filmmakers will want to give it a try when they see how it looks. It’s very comfortable.

IGN: Will any of the characters from the original films be returning for this one?

Trevorrow: I know a lot of fans want to see the original characters back. They’re iconic. But I respect those actors too much to shoehorn them into this story for my own sentimental reasons. Jurassic Park isn’t about the bad luck of three people who keep getting thrown into the same situation. The only reason they’d go back to that island is if the screenwriters contrived a reason for them to go. But there is a character from the first film who makes sense in our world. This hasn’t been announced yet, but BD Wong will be returning as Dr. Henry Wu. He had a much larger role in the original novel, he was the engineer of this breakthrough in de-extinction. He spent two decades living in Hammond’s shadow, underappreciated. We think there’s more to his story.

IGN: What can you tell us about Chris Pratt’s character in the movie?

Trevorrow: He’s a classic hero in a very modern context. He’s the guy who will get you through the jungle alive – but like Malcolm, Grant and Sattler, he’s an expert in a scientific field that’s connected to our story. The character allows us to explore some new ideas about our relationship with these animals, without losing the humor and sense of adventure. He’s a great contrast for Bryce Dallas Howard’s character, who starts off very corporate, very controlled. Until the running and screaming starts. Then they need each other.

IGN: How will your Jurassic movie differ to the previous films?

Trevorrow: I’m not on a mission to separate this film from the ones that came before. That will happen naturally – I have different instincts. But, like a lot of people my age, I grew up on Amblin movies. They’re a part of who I am as a filmmaker, and arguably as a person. This film will have a lot of new ideas in it, but I think the spirit will be familiar. It will have an old soul.

Honestly, I think things are sounding good for this movie.

I don't think that's really the same thing. It's more like if instead of updating his appearance (which I fully expect in JP:W btw, I mean the last one came out over nearly 15 years ago) they gave Mickey scales. Or made him naked because rats are naked. It's just a weird change that doesn't improve the aesthetic for me and just seems like rallying from the Dino community that want to hold JP to be accountable in educating the masses. I think most people know dinosaurs had feathering, but it's still lame!

As others have said the dinosaurs in JP aren't really the dinosaurs that once walked the Earth, they are weirder and nastier successors so I fully embrace any unrealistic aesthetic choices as long as they don't get too unbelievable like making the T. Rex grow wings or something.

The frog explanation makes sense. They said they had incomplete DNA and so patchworked it with frog DNA. They were never true dinosaurs. Hell a major plot point is that their reproductive system evolves because of the frog DNA. This time around, if need be, they somehow have access to better specimens ergo more scientifically sound Dinosaurs. If they want to go that way. But fuck feathers.

Jawmuncher

In terms of what he's saying sounds like he might be the perfect fit for this.
I mean sure we have to wait and see what the end result is, but thus far I have been very impressed with everything he has told us.

To me it's more of a continuity thing. Jurassic World isn't a reboot, so it exists in the reality where dinosaurs had scaly skin, not feathers.

Peru

The frog explanation makes sense. They said they had incomplete DNA and so patchworked it with frog DNA. They were never true dinosaurs. Hell a major plot point is that their reproductive system evolves because of the frog DNA. This time around, if need be, they somehow have access to better specimens ergo more scientifically sound Dinosaurs. If they want to go that way. But fuck feathers.

Everyone remembers, at JP's release, Jack Horner saying if you want to see how dinos looked and behaved, see this film. Iconic stuff.

He's said he won't stand as advisor for a new film that doesn't include feathers.

Are we really going to throw the whole sense of adventure that is 'looking at the beasts of the past in the now' because some people don't like a few feathers' look?

The semi-scientific grounding of JP is why the book and the movie was a success in the first place. Ignoring that is saying 'fuck it' to good filmmaking.

Btw has Collin said anything about the use of animatronics in this? I just remembered Stan is gone....

Everyone remembers, at JP's release, Jack Horner saying if you want to see how dinos looked and behaved, see this film. Iconic stuff.

He's said he won't stand as advisor for a new film that doesn't include feathers.

Are we really going to throw the whole sense of adventure that is 'looking at the beasts of the past in the now' because some people don't like a few feathers' look?

The semi-scientific grounding of JP is why the book and the movie was a success in the first place. Ignoring that is saying 'fuck it' to good filmmaking.

I doubt Horner said that knowing how the dinos looked and acted in the film. Almost all of them have innaccuracies from the small to the huge. It was probably just pre JP promo hyping "OMG this is nothing u have never seen b4!!!" rather than a legit endorsement.

There isn't really an established sense of "canon" when it comes to JP dinos, IMO. Raptors go from 6 feet tall and green to 6 feet tall and brown/red with stripes from the first two movies.

In the third, they DO have protofeathers, have a completely different color patterns, and are more around 4-5 feet tall. And no, you can't pretend the third movie doesn't exist.

I guess my point is, no matter what they choose, there's no sense in trying to rationalize the decision. Jurassic Park DID do a lot to educate and correct misconceptions, in general, of dinosaurs, but clearly they took some liberties.

There isn't really an established sense of "canon" when it comes to JP dinos, IMO. Raptors go from 6 feet tall and green to 6 feet tall and brown/red with stripes from the first two movies.

In the third, they DO have protofeathers, have a completely different color patterns, and are more around 4-5 feet tall. And no, you can't pretend the third movie doesn't exist.

I guess my point is, no matter what they choose, there's no sense in trying to rationalize the decision. Jurassic Park DID do a lot to educate and correct misconceptions, in general, of dinosaurs, but clearly they took some liberties.

Irrelevant tho cuz JP3 was shite (aka NON CANON)and they clearly weren't going for being canon or realism I mean like u said they fucked up the raptors + T. Rex should have pooped all over that spino once he got him in that headlock what a bunch of shit bruh damn I'm mad now I should kick Joe Johnston in the nuts.

Btw has Collin said anything about the use of animatronics in this? I just remembered Stan is gone....

Pretty sure they confirmed somewhere that they'll rely heavily on CG. Holding my breath.

Irrelevant tho cuz JP3 was shite (aka NON CANON)and they clearly weren't going for being canon or realism I mean like u said they fucked up the raptors + T. Rex should have pooped all over that spino once he got him in that headlock what a bunch of shit bruh damn I'm mad now I should kick Joe Johnston in the nuts.

i7w0dHbjNEUKU.gif

Peru

I doubt Horner said that knowing how the dinos looked and acted in the film. Almost all of them have innaccuracies from the small to the huge. It was probably just pre JP promo hyping "OMG this is nothing u have never seen b4!!!" rather than a legit endorsement.

He was right for the most part - most inaccurasies have become known in the scientific scene after the film was released. A better representation of dinosaurs in motion you'd be hard pressed to find at the time.

Daria

Pretty sure they confirmed somewhere that they'll rely heavily on CG. Holding my breath.

I think it'll turn out great. A lot of newer movies are turning toward CG for a majority of their sets and if you have the right people on it, it looks seamless. (Wall Street, HoC, etc).

I think it'll turn out great. A lot of newer movies are turning toward CG for a majority of their sets and if you have the right people on it, it looks seamless. (Wall Street, HoC, etc).

Yeah, I have a good feeling in general for the movie, so I'm still staying positive. I also personally think the blend/editing between practicals and CGI got worse with each JP movie, so even if they were using a lot of animatronics, I wouldn't necessarily be more hyped.

Guess they're all just uber hunters always thirsty for blood like every other dino flick? Fun.

Can you direct me to all those other dino flicks besides Jurassic Park? I'm only being slightly snarky, there is a disgusting lack of movies with dinosaurs in them so the more I can see (that aren't total dog shit I guess) the better!

To me it's more of a continuity thing. Jurassic World isn't a reboot, so it exists in the reality where dinosaurs had scaly skin, not feathers.

Considering the designs changed film to film, I would say this argument doesn't hold up very well. Further, the plot revolves around a new park- new research, new Dinosaurs. Easy canonical explanation.

Colin hasn't commented directly, but animatronics are in, however word is CG will be used more this time around.

practical effects though. so good.
uh, this is practical, right?
YXiz3e5.gif

Oh yeah, Jurassic Park is a masterclass in proper use of practicals and VFX/CG.

The latter movies relied too heavily on CG and the animatronics just never felt quite as "right" as the original. Just my opinion.

I wonder if it will ever be possible recreate dinosaurs. Dinosaur DNA is near impossible to extract. However, what if we reverse engineered the DNA of chickens and created something that is pretty close to dinosaurs? Then after that create a dinosaur fetus and put it inside an egg. With the advancements in supercomputing it wouldn't really be that impossible in a few decades.

I remember reading some entertainment mag after JP's release and there was all this hype about how this technology is REAL and we could have cloned dinos in as early as 40 YEARS.

That shit got my 9 year old self hyped as fuck.

Alas, reality has set in.

Showaddy

I wonder if it will ever be possible recreate dinosaurs. Dinosaur DNA is near impossible to extract. However, what if we reverse engineered the DNA of chickens and created something that is pretty close to dinosaurs? Then after that create a dinosaur fetus and put it inside an egg. With the advancements in supercomputing it wouldn't really be that impossible in a few decades.

Dinosaurs are pretty much 100% impossible. We'll be getting Mammoths & Smilodons at some point though.

No I mean if we make something entirely knew that looks like dinosaurs but is not really the real thing. Compiling DNA from scratch of some sort.

Jack Horner is attempting to reverse engineer a Chicken, finding the genes for teeth, tail, claws, etc. I would say that line of research will probably be the closest we will get to bring Dinosaurs back.

Ithil

CGI is quite a lot better than it was in 2001 when they overused it in JPIII and it was weak, I think they'll be fine. It's really about how they present it rather than what's used to make it, anyway.

I didn't have a problem with JP3 with the CGI as much as I did with the lost sense of grandeur. Its funny, but the worse scene in the JP1 movie for me as a kid was the round table talk, now its my favourite scene. Its nice for the conflicting ideologies to breathe and give some sense of what's at stake beyond the larger implications of a few dinosaus roaming around.

I didn't have a problem with JP3 with the CGI as much as I did with the lost sense of grandeur. Its funny, but the worse scene in the JP1 movie for me as a kid was the round table talk, now its my favourite scene. Its nice for the conflicting ideologies to breathe and give some sense of what's at stake beyond the larger implications of a few dinosaus roaming around.

Yeah, I really hope they can recapture that in Jurassic World. I'd like a mix of ideological discussion and well-staged dino action. Nothing in the series ever matched the T-Rex rain intro. Spinosaurus intro was HEY LOOK ITS SPINOSAURUS. They didn't even try.

Hmm, now I'm thinking of my favorite Jurassic Park moments.

1. T-Rex breach
2. Raptor kitchen hunt
3. Raptor tall grass hunt

T-Rex tag team from TLW is up there, because T-Rexes.

Ithil

The selectively loud Spinosaurus was a pretty lame villain for JPIII anyway. They just tried too hard to make him "the most strongerest of them all".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom