• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JURASSIC WORLD a 'sci-fi terror adventure 22yrs after JP' News/Rumors/Info thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another set under construction in Hawaii:

9pr1sVh.jpg

With a start date of April 14th, I imagine the sets should be finished soon.

Me too. He seems like a great choice and keeps saying all the right stuff, and I'm so glad to hear him say that they're not shoehorning in older characters just for the sake of it. But Dr. Wu would make sense.

BF0W7oC.gif

LastNac

Little said to hear that none of the three main characters are back, but he genuinely sounds like he is trying to make a strong film and not just a good sequel.

Always wanted to see Wu again.

Doran902

Little said to hear that none of the three main characters are back, but he genuinely sounds like he is trying to make a strong film and not just a good sequel.

Always wanted to see Wu again.

It would be hard to bring them back, Malcolm and Grant both did the whole "I'm never going back there again" thing already so it would make sense that after 2-3 they wouldn't ever go back / be involved again.

Bringing an older version of Lex and Tim could have been neat.

Toxi

Banned
How is it a lame explanation, they were on the bleeding edge of genetic technology taking DNA from amber that was tens of millions of years old using techniques that no one had ever used to to fill in the gaps of the DNA that had been lost or corrupted over time and/or the process they used to extract it and to plug the holes they used lizard and frog DNA.

They didn't even know what they were growing, they just grew it until they had a viable embryo that hatched and they made guesses as to what the animal was.

A lot of the dinosaurs had loads of problems including behavioural problems and diseases so they would go back to the drawing board and mess about with the DNA to grow the animal again to see if they had fixed the problems.

Hammond and Wu were morally and ethically bankrupt, like Malcom said "You were so preoccupied with whether or not you could you didn't stop to think if you should..." one was doing it for money, the other doing it to make a name for himself.

The dinos in Jurassic Park weren't the dinosaurs that lived in the past, they were dinosaurs created and engineered so that they would appeal to the visitors of the park.

So enough with the "blah blah lame explanation" comments.
Because in this case, instead of a plot element that demonstrates the inexperience and potentially unexpected consequences of genetic manipulation, it's a handwave to keep the dinosaurs looking the same they were in previous films.

It'd be like if the original Jurassic Park's Tyrannosaurus looked like this picture with the explanation, "The frog DNA made them drag their tails. It also looks way cooler and more imposing than those stupid new leaning dinosaurs."
trex1.jpg

Oh yeah, Jurassic Park is a masterclass in proper use of practicals and VFX/CG.

The latter movies relied too heavily on CG and the animatronics just never felt quite as "right" as the original. Just my opinion.
iBwmXMS6nujxK.gif

NYR94

2:1 aspect ration is interesting, but not surprising. You want to go wide as possible for the epic look but also have to be able to frame large dinosaurs and humans.

Peter Jackson shot King Kong in the 2:35:1 ratio. Edwards did the same thing for Godzilla. I wonder if either of them considered a different aspect ratio.

Can you direct me to all those other dino flicks besides Jurassic Park? I'm only being slightly snarky, there is a disgusting lack of movies with dinosaurs in them so the more I can see (that aren't total dog shit I guess) the better!

I can't help you if you're looking for movies that "aren't total dog shit" but stuff like The Dinosaur Project and Age of Dinosaurs exist on Netflix. And then there's that cancelled Fox show and another show from across the pond (I think) that had dinos coming through portals where a team of dino hunters were called in to do their thing every episode (I actually want to check this show out).

To my knowledge, there isn't a program that actually depicts dinosaurs as animals. To me, a lion attack at a zoo/circus against their trainer/handler out of nowgere during standard procedures is more frightening than an attack in the wild (regardless if the "wild" is a park that has lost power).

I wonder if it will ever be possible to recreate dinosaurs. Dinosaur DNA is near impossible to extract. However, what if we reverse engineered the DNA of chickens and created something that is pretty close to dinosaurs? Then after that create a dinosaur fetus and put it inside an egg. With the advancements in supercomputing it wouldn't really be that impossible in a few decades.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jack_horner_building_a_dinosaur_from_a_chicken

It's the cliff notes version of his book on the matter. :>

Cloning is out though. You need an egg to make an embryo, but more importantly, you need a womb. And the longer the gestation, the harder it gets. Anything large is pretty much a game of statistics to create just one specimen out of a thousand or more than will actually survive birth. It's possible to clone larger animals, but it's bordering on mad science to try.

I can't help you if you're looking for movies that "aren't total dog shit" but stuff like The Dinosaur Project and Age of Dinosaurs exist on Netflix. And then there's that cancelled Fox show and another show from across the pond (I think) that had dinos coming through portals where a team of dino hunters were called in to do their thing every episode (I actually want to check this show out).

To my knowledge, there isn't a program that actually depicts dinosaurs as animals. To me, a lion attack at a zoo/circus against their trainer/handler out of nowgere during standard procedures is more frightening than an attack in the wild (regardless if the "wild" is a park that has lost power).

Primeval, I actually started watching it on Netflix due to this thread. It's not that bad of a show to be honest IMO. Too bad most of the movies revolving around dinosaurs are "total dog shit" like described earlier in the thread.

Primeval, I actually started watching it on Netflix due to this thread. It's not that bad of a show to be honest IMO. Too bad most of the movies revolving around dinosaurs are "total dog shit" like described earlier in the thread.
Ooh, it's on netflix? Adding to my list right now, thanks.

Toa TAK

Banned

I always assumed that at least the car itself was real, and that the broken bits being torn off were CG.

But nope. The jeep looks incredibly real.

And also happy like everyone else that Wu is back. Should've gotten a bigger role in the films.

Good news everyone, they updated the Jurassic World logo!

Before:
Jw042Gn.jpg

Updated:
wKt6vc7.jpg

....ok, it's still 99% the same and ugly. The brushed steel look is just so bland, the font is wrong and the logo looks too flat.

Honestly, this is one of the rare times where fan versions look 100% better than the official thing:

fQqCBrv.jpg

X1oACGv.png

I really hope the official one is just a temp for now.. But seeing the park will likely use the same logo, and they film in April... I doubt it.

Logo looks fine to me, it's the same thing just with different colors. Hopefully the blue is a hint at some hardcore aquatic action.

The refusal to update the dinosaurs for a dinosaur movie. Cause you know, asking for dinosaurs and a dinosaur movie is asking for too much.

I don't entirely presume that replicated, engineered dinosaurs experienced the same sort of evolution that real ones apparently did. Regardless, it isn't something indicative of the quality of the script or execution of the film.

You're entitled to think otherwise and consider it such a big deal that the movie itself is terrible, but I don't share in the same critical parameters.

So, both THR and Deadline are listing Idris Elba in the cast list as well.. I wonder if it is accurate, or if one made the mistake and another copied.

So, they showed a Jurassic World teaser at Cinema Con today!

It apparently opened, with a T-Rex footprint, and the camera panned in a jungle with some voiceover from John Hammond (from earlier films). The logo apparently came in via some CG and it ended with a T-Rex roar.

God I hope it makes its way online.

It apparently opened, with a T-Rex footprint, and the camera panned in a jungle with some voiceover from John Hammond (from earlier films).

The flee circus lines ending with "spared no expense" (saddened, knowing it can't hold)? Because that basically summed up his character. (or Spielberg's career intentions till that point if you want to go meta on his ass)

Well, now you have done it. I can't let this statement sit unchallenged.

Yeah, some of those look pretty bad-ass. But there are a couple in there of feathered non-theropod dinos - sauropods and ceratopsians. What's up with that? Only theropods have been confirmed with feathers.

Also, how do you quote quoted pictures? I'd have quoted the ones I mentioned if I knew how.

Oh, and fuck "no feathers". I will freely admit that my first reaction to feathered dinos was not good. Hell, my first reaction to warm-blooded dinos, as a kid, was also not good - I was totally bummed that the lizards I chased around were not little dinosaurs after all. The feather thing was much the same. It's human nature to dislike change of familiar things.

But these are FACTS. Dinosaurs had feathers (well, at least one large group of them did). Yeah, we just found out. Yeah, it messes with your head a bit. It's still true, and it's foolish to pretend otherwise, especially in a movie series that made fun of outdated dinosaur conventions - especially the one about dinosaurs evolving into birds.

"No wonder these guys learned to fly" [Laughter]

"That doesn't look scary! More like a 6 foot turkey"

"Do you really think dinosaurs turned into birds?"
"A few species may have evolved along those lines"
"They sure don't look like birds to me"

There was a lot more about it in the book. Denying feathers in this new work is 100% going against everything the book and film stood for in the first place.

Cartman86

Banned
Oh, and fuck "no feathers". I will freely admit that my first reaction to feathered dinos was not good. Hell, my first reaction to warm-blooded dinos, as a kid, was also not good - I was totally bummed that the lizards I chased around were not little dinosaurs after all. The feather thing was much the same. It's human nature to dislike change of familiar things.

But these are FACTS. Dinosaurs had feathers (well, at least one large group of them did). Yeah, we just found out. Yeah, it messes with your head a bit. It's still true, and it's foolish to pretend otherwise, especially in a movie series that made fun of outdated dinosaur conventions - especially the one about dinosaurs evolving into birds.

There was a lot more about it in the book. Denying feathers in this new work is 100% going against everything the book and film stood for in the first place.

I don't know. Maybe they are following in the spirit of Crichton's science denial.

Peru

Hear, hear!

I don't know. Maybe they are following in the spirit of Crichton's science denial.

First I've heard of it, can you elaborate? I know next to nothing about Mr. Crichton personally. Nevertheless, we're talking about Jurassic Park, not its author. The stance on dinosaurs and their relationship to birds couldn't possibly be clearer.

Few Updates.

Jake Johnson is officially in.

Ty Simpkins confirms his characters name is Gray, which retroactively confirms the leaked script sides. (Tweet now deleted)

First day of filming will likely be at the Honolulu Zoo, as well as exterior shots somewhere in San Diego, California.

Further, word is extras went in for outfit fittings yesterday and have been told to be ready as early as April 11th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom