• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World: Biggest Worldwide Opening Weekend Ever - $511 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

pager99

if you told me this would happen i would have never believed it.

i STILL don't believe it. i am just baffled that a movie that had 1 movie in the franchise that was good 14 years ago and two awful ones did these numbers
Well look at fast and.furious people like awful movies

G-Fex

I think Jurassic World provides an argument that so long as there's enough distance, and you minimize/avoid mention of that disappointment, people will basically forget that you had a disappointing sequel preceding the new film.

edit: Guek beat me!

about 10 years I suppose that's adequate.

kinggroin

Banned
Just get over it, dude. Like, seriously. Being salty over mainstream blockbusters achieving massive success will never be something that works out in your favor. Films with a wide target audience will always make more money than more niche, cerebral projects, not as a product of their relative quality but rather due to their marketability and mass appeal.

Besides, Mad Max did respectable numbers given what it was - a niche passion project destined for cult classic status.

Being salty isn't something voluntarily done so that something works out in my favor. Its simply being a sore "loser".

I'm just expressing my disappointment. That's all. I'll get over it, but talking through it helps me.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I don't know why people are questioning the sequel.

The Rock finds Vin Diesel to hunt down the most badass opponents they've faced yet. As Dom pulls his team together, Kurt Russell introduces them to a former government employee with some intel that could help: Chris Pratt.

In May 2018, the only thing rolling more than custom wheels will be heads, as Universal Pictures, in association with Amblin, presents: Jurassic and Furious.

Feels like I see these record-breaking threads every weekend now. This movie isn't deserving of such an opening. It's a cookie-cookie film that relentlessly panders to your nostalgia of the original Jurassic Park film. I wonder which elements of the first movie Jurassic World 2 will copy and/or reference. My money's on heavy footsteps causing tremors in cups of water.

Much like Jurassic World, there's been enough of a break that I don't think it'll matter. Just like with JP3, people actively want to forget the Star Wars prequels.

Except people actually like Episode 3 and it made a lot of money when it was released.

UrbanRats

I think Jurassic World provides an argument that so long as there's enough distance, and you minimize/avoid mention of that disappointment, people will basically forget that you had a disappointing sequel preceding the new film.

edit: Guek beat me!

Didn't work for Dredd (assuming the shitty Stallone movie had a part in Dredd 3D flopping).

Reversed

post-24099-well-there-it-is-gif-Imgur-Tum-TuVG.gif

There were girls throwing kisses at the screen beacuse of Pratt's handsomeness, lol.

guek

Banned
Except people actually like Episode 3 and it made a lot of money when it was released.

Even so, denying that the prequels as a whole tend to be lumped together and shoved under the rug is foolhardy. I say this as someone who genuinely enjoys both ep I and III. They've all got a negative stigma attached to them.

guek

Banned
Didn't work for Dredd (assuming the shitty Stallone movie had a part in Dredd 3D flopping).

They're not really comparable. Judge Dredd was never a record breaking franchise with massive pop cultural impact, and the studio had no faith in Dredd to begin with. That movie was sent to die.

Dredd is a special case - a lot of people didn't really have a conception of what a Judge Dredd was before Stallone's film, and that film was such a goddamn tire-fire of ineptitude and hubris that "Dredd" ended up becoming known to the larger public as nothing BUT a punchline at the expense of Stallone's career.

Jurassic Park III and Revenge of the Sith might be looked at as disappointments (and personally, I don't think either movie is bad at all, but that's me) but they never became shorthand for total, irrevocable failure like Dredd did.

Essentially, Dredd could have called itself Ishtar 2 and probably gotten more of a break from the general audience.

Maximus.

Glad to see that this movie is a success and that people are willing to give the franchise another chance. Chris Pratt is killing it with his decisions on what roles to take! Guardians, Lego, Jurassic World, damn man!

Wow, amazing opening.

Star Wars will bomb everything.

Basically, the marketing has to

a) make it look like it'll be fun for newcomers
b) make it feel like the OT made old-timers feel.

If it's going to approach the numbers people are expecting it to hit in this thread, it needs sell itself as a hop-on point for people who are bored/tired/uninterested in old Star Wars, while simultaneously reassuring people who are hopped on that it'll capture the feel of Star Wars/Empire/Jedi.

Jurassic World apparently managed that equivalent feat without any of us who've been paying attention to the marketing really catching on that the hooks were sunk in deeply. Star Wars seems to be plucking the same strings a lot more deftly than Jurassic World did at a similar point in its marketing. Will that translate in the Winter? Who knows.

Episode III. not Jurassic Park III

(which, by the way, should be due for a rewatch, as it's not all that different from Jurassic World)

kswiston

On the one hand, I want to say that it's pretty probable that Star Wars won't do what people are starting to think it might do because December isn't June, and attendance just does not work the same way in that season as it does in the Summer, and never has.

But then again, nobody has ever called any of the Box Office monsters BEING those monsters before they started stomping on everything. Titanic, Avatar, Avengers, Furious 7, Jurassic World... there was no reason to think conventional wisdom wasn't going to hold firm. And then hindsight made everything look sooooo obvious.

So who knows. Maybe Star Wars' marketing will touch enough nerves that domestic opening weekend is an Alderaan-esque blowup. I don't think that's going to be the case, I don't think we're going to get Summer numbers in December. But if we could call that kind of stuff accurately all the time, we wouldn't have the surprises we're currently being fascinated by.

The problem in this instance is that everyone expects Star Wars to be massive. I've mentioned it before, but this really reminds me of 1999 when Episode 1 was releasing about a year after Titanic took the domestic crown from Star Wars. A lot of people expect Star Wars to automatically top whatever records had previously been broken on the principle that it is Star Wars, even if that hasn't really been the case since E.T.

Star Wars is going to be massive. I still think that it will take the domestic crown the year, and potentially end up in the same range as Titanic ($630-670M domestic). However, I disagree with the sentiment that, since Furious 7 made $1.15B overseas, Star Wars HAS to make more than that (ignoring the fact that Star Wars has never held the overseas crown, not even in 1977 as best as I can tell). I also disagree with a winter release the week before x-mas taking the opening record despite the fact that it would have to break the December record by more (percentage wise) than any film has ever broken any monthly record.

We are getting to the point of overhyping where Star Wars could open to $150M, gross $600M domestic and $1.5B worldwide, and we would still have people asking what went wrong.

Ithil

Continuing the trend of an unexpected film topping the list. Sure you have expected ones like the final Harry Potter film, but many of the biggest ever are like Titantic, Avatar, hell the original Jurassic Park (based on a bestseller and hyped up, sure, but not a franchise player in 1993) or the first Star Wars.

Everyone was sleeping on JW, that's for sure.

We are getting to the point of overhyping where Star Wars could open to $150M, gross $600M domestic and $1.5B worldwide, and we would still have people asking what went wrong.

No doubt. I can see where what happened with Jurassic World can happen with Star Wars - but lots of things *can* happen that don't, too.

There's something to be said for leaving the possibility of surprise on the table, but nothing wrong with looking at how things normally go and keeping that in mind. And looking at how things normally go - even if you wanna be optimistic for Star Wars, I don't know that it's smart to just straight up map 1:1 what happened to Jurassic World to Force Awakens.

Dude, just cause you keep saying this doesn't make it true.

I keep saying it because it's true. People disagreeing with me doesn't automatically make me wrong, either.

Abounder

Banned
The prequels didn't even feel like Star Wars, ep7 won't have that problem because it will feature the cast and characters that generations of filmgoers want to see. SW will be an epic movie event

Ithil

I never heard of the name Chris Pratt before. What made him famous?

He became a cult name thanks to his role in Parks & Recreation, so he had a small fanbase, but he's now a big time star thanks to Guardians of the Galaxy, his breakout.
He now has two huge blockbusters in less than a year.

I never heard of the name Chris Pratt before. What made him famous?

Parks & Rec -> Guardians of the Galaxy -> Jurassic World

people keep calling him the second coming of Harrison Ford, but to me, it looks way more like Will Smith's trajectory:

Fresh Prince of Bel Air -> Bad Boys -> Independence Day.

Cosmozone

And what's Parks and Recrea... heck, I'll google it. :) Good for him, I guess. JW looks at least interesting. I saw both trailers for JW and Star Wars recently, and the SW one was pretty bad, JW had much more interesting 3D scenes.

kswiston

No doubt. I can see where what happened with Jurassic World can happen with Star Wars - but lots of things *can* happen that don't, too.

There's something to be said for leaving the possibility of surprise on the table, but nothing wrong with looking at how things normally go and keeping that in mind. And looking at how things normally go - even if you wanna be optimistic for Star Wars, I don't know that it's smart to just straight up map 1:1 what happened to Jurassic World to Force Awakens.

I think that Jurassic Park 3 is throwing things off in this case. If Universal quit after the Lost World, and we had a slightly longer wait between that and Jurassic World, would these results be as surprising? I'm sure they would be somewhat surprising, but I think that they would be looked at more in the vein of what happened with Indiana Jones. Huge franchise comes back and continues to make huge money.

Star Wars is another huge franchise that will come back and continue to make huge money. Take Episode 1 and adjust it to a more modern equivalent, and there you go. It's not going to triple its predecessor's opening and total gross like Jurassic World because its predecessor actually made a ton of money. Jurassic Park 3 was barely a top 10 film in 2001.

Not

Banned

I just got an ulcer. You're completely right. If it doesn't beat Avengers or Ultron or even JW, people are still going to call it a bomb.

Ughhhhhh

That language lol. $511m is "only" $16m over the HP record. That's not "eclipsing".

Anyway those taking these numbers as a foresight of Star Wars should know that Star Wars is not that big outside the U.S.

Not

Banned
<=== they've ALWAYS been cool!

Should just be an avatar of a disembodied arm IMO

That language lol. $511m is "only" $16m over the HP record. That's not "eclipsing".

Anyway those taking these numbers as a foresight of Star Wars should know that Star Wars is not that big outside the U.S.

Would be funny if dinosaurs are more "Universal" than Star Wars

damn! my pun works 2 ways!

a916

Dredd films have always flopped/disappointed commercially. I think he meant Star Wars was massive, then released disappointing iterations (like Jurassic Park) and now it's full circle back to what it was before, a box office juggernaut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom