• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World sets new domestic OW record at $208.8M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Everything is possible, but it seems mainly about subverting expectations this year:
- Kingsman was going to disappear quietly, but made quite a hefty penny.
- Nobody believed in Furious 7, but it is the number four of all time.
- Ultron was going to beat all the records, but didn't make enough of a splash.
- Mad Max was going to flop, but does very well for a R rated movie.
- Jurassic World would make like half a billion in its entire run, but now does it in its opening weekend.
Based on this, Ant-Man is going to beat this record while Star Wars doesn't make a billion.

CassSept

There is always a chance that things will change, but the "it's obvious, because its Star Wars" posts come off as uninformed when it is not all that obvious from past performance.

I take into account the fact that The Phantom Menace was almost universally hated and the movie still did some amazing numbers. While it's true it didn't beat Jurassic Park (I don't know about Lion King, how much did it gross ww before wide re-release ~3-4 years ago?), using the domestic/overseas split to judge that SW is not as popular worldwide is a fallacy as SW simply pulled huge domestic numbers which distort the results.

It's really hard to judge it as we don't know how good the movie will be. But if The Force Awakens is good, simply 'good', it will hulk smash the box office, maybe not in the opening weekend, but in the long run I'm willing to bet anything it has a serious shot at $2b.

Everything is possible, but it seems mainly about subverting expectations this year:
- Kingsman was going to disappear quietly, but made quite a hefty penny.
- Nobody believed in Furious 7, but it is the number four of all time.
- Ultron was going to beat all the records, but didn't make enough of a splash.
- Mad Max was going to flop, but does very well for a R rated movie.
- Jurassic World would make like half a billion in its entire run, but now does it in its opening weekend.
Based on this, Ant-Man is going to beat this record while Star Wars doesn't make a billion.

Theres a huge difference between avengers and star wars though. Avengers AOU was a crap movie that was rushed out 3 years after the first one with a nonstop barrage of marvel films in-between that kind of burnt people out. The movie was also filled with sloppy sub plots, awkward and slow moments, and a very weak main villain. There hasn't been a Star Wars movie since 2005 and there hasnt been a REAL Star Wars movie since 1983. On top of that JJ and Kasdan have been working there asses off to get the script, look, and feel of the movie just right even going as far as delaying the film and missing its May release date.

Ant-Man will do fine but Star Wars will no doubt have a Jurassic World size opening or bigger.

Fuzzery

That shit cray. I had no idea this was even going to be at all popular.

Conclusion: I am old and out of touch. :(

NO, it is the children who are wrong

It's time to change your avatar
images

wachie

I think what JW proved is that audiences are ready for a tent pole event-type of a movie every few years. Provided it ticks all the right boxes for the age-groups people are willing to rush or go out in droves to watch a movie and be a part of the conversation.

And this (~210M) seems like the upper limit with 3D, maybe 220-230M is the absolute max. And about 170-180M for 2D. I dont see this record falling (even if it does, barely) until Infinity Wars which will be shot completely on IMAX and they will make a push for that format to drive up the numbers. Maybe then with the combined eventfullness of the Marvel universe, we will see this record go down by quite some margin.

CassSept

I think what JW proved is that audiences are ready for a tent pole event-type of a movie every few years. Provided it ticks all the right boxes for the age-groups people are willing to rush or go out in droves to watch a movie and be a part of the conversation.

And this (~210M) seems like the upper limit with 3D, maybe 220-230M is the absolute max. And about 170-180M for 2D. I dont see this record falling (even if it does, barely) until Infinity Wars which will be shot completely on IMAX and they will make a push for that format to drive up the numbers. Maybe then with the combined eventfullness of the Marvel universe, we will see this record go down by quite some margin.

I'm probably wrong, but I don't see Thanos being the villain of Infinity War being that interesting and eventful to general audiences. It all depends on how Disney handles the build-up, but at the moment I simply don't see it beating Jurassic World's OW.

Finaika

I'm probably wrong, but I don't see Thanos being the villain of Infinity War being that interesting and eventful to general audiences. It all depends on how Disney handles the build-up, but at the moment I simply don't see it beating Jurassic World's OW.

Everyone is talking about Thanos, he will be huge.

Have you seen the title of threads in the off-topic recently?

kswiston

I take into account the fact that The Phantom Menace was almost universally hated and the movie still did some amazing numbers. While it's true it didn't beat Jurassic Park (I don't know about Lion King, how much did it gross ww before wide re-release ~3-4 years ago?), using the domestic/overseas split to judge that SW is not as popular worldwide is a fallacy as SW simply pulled huge domestic numbers which distort the results.

It's really hard to judge it as we don't know how good the movie will be. But if The Force Awakens is good, simply 'good', it will hulk smash the box office, maybe not in the opening weekend, but in the long run I'm willing to bet anything it has a serious shot at $2b.

Using Domestic/Overseas spit just shows that the series isn't as unparalleled overseas as it is domestically. As I said, overseas in 1977-1979 Star Wars and Close Encounters were similar sized movies. Here it wasn't even close. Star Wars passed Jaws to be the biggest film of all time. Close Encounters was big, but made about 40% as much. When a film is the biggest thing ever in one territory and not the biggest thing ever elsewhere, I think that is pretty much the definition of not as popular. Would it be wrong to say that Bond is not as popular in the US than it is in the UK just because Skyfall made a shit-ton of money in the US as well?

As for Episode I, I dispute that it was universally hated at the time it was released. Some old fans hated it no doubt, but kids loved it and it had great legs in theatres. Not quite Jurassic Park legs, but better legs than Independence Day and similar legs to the Matrix despite the much bigger opening. Universally hated films don't make over 4x their 5-day opening, even back then when movies were not as frontloaded. The hate was piled on later.

Joni

Infinity War Part 2 has a bigger chance than Part 1. Thanos not being big doesn't matter. He'll be big if he kills one of the Avengers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This is not an assessment of the film in any way, but good god I feel so out of touch.

Branduil

Even if Star Wars VII has a similar split to TPM, minus China, if it does about as well as TPM domestically then we're talking about 1.5 billion, and again, that's without China. Of course, maybe it won't do as well as TPM domestically, but it's also possible it will do better overseas than TPM. Or better or worse than both. Extrapolating anything from previous Star Wars films other than "Star Wars will make a lot of money" is fraught with unprovable assumptions that the market is still the same as it was one to several decades ago.

As much as I felt JW was a weak, sloppy and pandering film, I'm glad to see a non comic book based movie do this well. I just wish it was Mad Max: FR instead.

Hex

Banned
Because it was a mediocre movie and now the prattoons are NEVER gonna stop! Pratt is being credited for this movie's success, I mean for crying out loud people are calling him the "next Harrison Ford' and the "next Brad Pitt" when it was actually the legendary IP and marketing to thank for the success. UGH

jMBk7av.gif

People like Dinosaurs and monsters, plus JP is a franchise with Nostalgia.
They also marketed it well.
I do not think Pratt had much to do with it.

ajim

Well deserved. Movie was Amazing. It really hit the nostalgia nerve really well. I'm not even a huge pratt fan, but he was hardly the maker of this movie.

It was the pacing, the dinosaurs, the emphasis on dinosaurs being animals and the epic fight scenes.

I was legit on the edge of my seat and so pumped up for that epic fight.

God-damn it was good.

Using Domestic/Overseas spit just shows that the series isn't as unparalleled overseas as it is domestically. As I said, overseas in 1977-1979 Star Wars and Close Encounters were similar sized movies. Here it wasn't even close. Star Wars passed Jaws to be the biggest film of all time. Close Encounters was big, but made about 40% as much. When a film is the biggest thing ever in one territory and not the biggest thing ever elsewhere, I think that is pretty much the definition of not as popular. Would it be wrong to say that Bond is not as popular in the US than it is in the UK just because Skyfall made a shit-ton of money in the US as well?

As for Episode I, I dispute that it was universally hated at the time it was released. Some old fans hated it no doubt, but kids loved it and it had great legs in theatres. Not quite Jurassic Park legs, but better legs than Independence Day and similar legs to the Matrix despite the much bigger opening. Universally hated films don't make over 4x their 5-day opening, even back then when movies were not as frontloaded. The hate was piled on later.

TPM was definitely not "universally hated" on release but I would classify it's box office as an anomaly among anomalies--it was everyone on the planet seeing it in the first week or two and then a LOT of hardcore fans seeing it multiple times to try and decide whether it was really the hot mess it appeared to be.

Not that I'm speaking from personal experience or anything.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
And with Monday Jurassic World has out grossed domestically The Lost World, which itself once held the opening weekend record and was the third highest grossing film in 1997

kswiston

And with Monday Jurassic World has out grossed domestically The Lost World, which itself once held the opening weekend record and was the third highest grossing film in 1997

Unless things drop off dramatically in the near future, Jurassic World will be past Jurassic Park's initial domestic box office run by the end of this weekend. It should be the highest grossing film in the series (JP 3D re-release included) before its third weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom