• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World SPOILER THREAD | Boy, do I hate being spoiled all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoldnerKei

I pray every day that this will be a movie I love. Last two summers have had my most hyped films as the worst ones I watched (Elysium and Godzilla).

I have the same vibe I had when The Dark Knight was released, just after I watched the trailer, I felt like no matter what, I would love that movie, a thing I did P:

same feeling I had with the international trailer for this one, I like what I have seen so far, and I feel the same, no matter what I am going to enjoy the hell out of this movie

Jawmuncher

I have the same vibe I had when The Dark Knight was released, just after I watched the trailer, I felt like no matter what, I would love that movie, a thing I did P:

same feeling I had with the international trailer for this one, I like what I have seen so far, and I feel the same, no matter what I am going to enjoy the hell out of this movie

That's the thing. I felt that away about those two movies as well and it didn't pan out.
Though thus far I do have a better feeling all around this time.

I pray every day that this will be a movie I love. Last two summers have had my most hyped films as the worst ones I watched (Elysium and Godzilla).

I enjoyed Godzilla the first time I watched it but in hindsight I feel like Edwards really dropped the ball with the human characters, the pacing was awful, and really aside from some great scale and big money shots, it was kind of forgettable.

I liked Godzilla a lot. I also happened to love finding and discussing its subtle details and metaphors.

Don't make me post my Godzilla collection...

Jawmuncher

Since this isn't the Godzilla Spoiler thread I don't want to get much into it.
But my biggest issue was the teasing of Godzilla didn't really pay off by the end. Especially with the multiple
fake deaths.
Thus why I still prefer 1998, it's goofy but I get exactly what I want from it.

I'm working on a video project that likely many others are also doing as we speak but it's just for fun and to help pass the time, so whatever. Can't wait to share, at least if it turns out okay.

yKsqkqx.png

Bernbaum

I enjoyed Godzilla the first time I watched it but in hindsight I feel like Edwards really dropped the ball with the human characters, the pacing was awful, and really aside from some great scale and big money shots, it was kind of forgettable.
I would have been fine with the arrhythmic pacing and Godzilla screentime if only the characters were interesting and I cared about them. As with the original Alien, the actual dinosaur action on-screen in JP1 isn't all that long, but it's very effective.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh the stegosaurus is awful.

I had a dream there was exposition where Wu explained that he engineered inaccuracies into the dinos so that they looked more like the stereotypes people expected (slouch back stego, no feathers etc).
Then I woke up :(

Superflat

Said it before, but what is keeping me interested is the fact that I still have very little idea of what this movie will be. All we have are isolated moments that convey very different tones and feelings.

It's hard for me to imagine all of the things we've seen so far, put it together in my head and think "okay, so this is probably how the movie is going to be, and this is the tone they're going for."

Some may consider that to be a worrying attribute but it personally really excites me.

To quote Trevorrow from the article:
There’s like six or seven genres going simultaneously in a movie like this. What is it—it’s like a sci-fi adventure horror romantic comedy thriller? It’s a lot. For me the challenge was doing a movie that balanced all those tones. That’s what I challenged myself to do as a filmmaker. This was the next level opportunity to do that.
Whether it's a great film or not, can't say their hearts weren't in the right place for this one.

Since this isn't the Godzilla Spoiler thread I don't want to get much into it.
But my biggest issue was the teasing of Godzilla didn't really pay off by the end. Especially with the multiple
fake deaths.
Thus why I still prefer 1998, it's goofy but I get exactly what I want from it.

I really loved the cartoon based on Godzilla '98. It actually had a Godzilla fighting against other monsters and more or less protecting NYC. It went up against Cyber Godzilla and all sorts of weird stuff.

The recent Godzilla film was like a feature length trailer. It had nothing to say about the characters and everything just felt random, pointless and incidental. I still enjoy it to an extent, but mostly for the awe inspiring visuals and destruction than anything else (which it would need more of to satisfy me).

Ugh the stegosaurus is awful.

I had a dream there was exposition where Wu explained that he engineered inaccuracies into the Dino's so that they looked more like the stereotypes people expected (slouch back stego, no feathers etc).
Then I woke up :(

How should a stegosaur look?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm on the "I will love this movie cause look how awesome it looks!" train. Godzilla was... when it HAD monster fighting (for a few seconds...) it was great. Great climactic fight was amazing, but who thought it was a good idea to do most of the fighting through the lens of a camera/tv/etc?? Zilla had more airtime than this guy! (Have to admit, I like Zilla's design though. It's not the true Godzilla, but I like it as a kaiju). REALLY hoping the sequel will have a GOOD balance of humans/monsters. The Japanese movies at least had a good amount of monster fighting!

With that being said, I have high hopes for JW. The secretive shots from early ads have shown i-rex later, instead of the same 2 Godzilla shots, with the little they showed us. The feel of this movie, too, and I know it won't have a big "America's army is coming to save the day!" thing going for it. I just want to see dinos, in detailed CG, the few robotics they WILL use, and a good JPish story to go along with it that's better than TLW and 3. I'm not setting my standards as "OMG give this movie best picture!" I feel like that's what a lot of forum complainers do, and set their standards through the clouds. Sure, there does need to be SOME standard. I can't stand Transformers past the first one and I have seen them all >_> Then again, I don't have a standard with those anyways :p

Superflat

For all we know maybe the Rex family and Spinosaurus were flown in from Isla Sorna

I'm interested to see what they have to say about Isla Sorna, if anything. I'm fine if they pretend it never existed; but it would be interesting to see what kind of solution they implemented, if at all, about the state of Site B.

TLW implies they leave the island alone since it is a completely unique, isolated, free ecosystem like Madagascar. But it's very close in proximity to Isla Nublar, so I have to imagine something had to be done.

I like to pretend that the Spinosaur skeleton in the main boardwalk of Jurassic World is a jab at JP3 and what a bad idea it was to have this fish-eating dinosaur turn into a insane stalker that wants nothing but more human flesh. They replaced the T-Rex in the Jurassic Park logo with the Spinosaur for chrissakes. UGH. UUUGGGHH. That wound will never heal.

The CG shots in the original are nowhere close to this. It was ahead of its time then obviously but if you go back and really look at the CG in the first one, I mean some of it is still amazing but some like the Brach at the beginning really shows.

I wonder what a remastered Jurassic Park would look like with modern CGI.

There are some outstanding bits of CGI in the original. The one that stands out the most is the T-Rex attack. It seamlessly switches from practical to CGI and back again several times in that sequence and you can barely tell the difference.

Superflat

Man look at that terrible CGI /s

I got super irritated at people saying the CGI sucks in JW and JP CGI is better judging from the clearly unfinished graphics in the trailers.

Yeah, no. This is ILM we are talking about...

That high detail raptor shot damn near looks practical. The natural lighting on it is fantastic. As for personal taste, I wish it didn't look so... prickly? But the raptors here, from the tiny bits they've shown, are far more expressive than they've ever been and look incredibly menacing.

I wonder what a remastered Jurassic Park would look like with modern CGI.

There are some outstanding bits of CGI in the original. The one that stands out the most is the T-Rex attack. It seamlessly switches from practical to CGI and back again several times in that sequence and you can barely tell the difference.

The T-Rex sequence in the rain is still just... magic. Yeah, it's a bit "easier" to mask CG with night and rain effects, but even so it rivals nearly any scene I've seen using computer graphics. That's just a living breathing T-Rex actually escaping its pen.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
That high detail raptor shot damn near looks practical. The natural lighting on it is fantastic. As for personal taste, I wish it didn't look so... prickly? But the raptors here, from the tiny bits they've shown, are far more expressive than they've ever been and look incredibly menacing.

The T-Rex sequence in the rain is still just... magic. Yeah, it's a bit "easier" to mask CG with night and rain effects, but even so it rivals nearly any scene I've seen using computer graphics. That's just a living breathing T-Rex actually escaping its pen.

Probably prickly as part of the differentiation between the four. They are characters and each have their own look and personality. Is that Blue? She has monitor lizard dna maybe that's their reasoning, a monitor lizard is fairly smooth though *shrug*

Bernbaum

Man look at that terrible CGI /s

I got super irritated at people saying the CGI sucks in JW and JP CGI is better judging from the clearly unfinished graphics in the trailers.

Yeah, no. This is ILM we are talking about...

We've seen this shot a million times already, but this latest image is just much more sharper and realistic.

If we'd only seen this as a screen grab and didn't have an idea of the motion of the scene, we' think we were looking at an animatronic. It just has that 'feel'.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
We've seen this shot a million times already, but this latest image is just much more sharper and realistic.

If we'd only seen this as a screen grab and didn't have an idea of the motion of the scene, we' think we were looking at an animatronic. It just has that 'feel'.
I'd be curious to see a few of them side by side to compare.

Is that spot on her upper left arm where she removed the tracker? :eek:

Superflat

Speaking of the tracker, I always thought that the weird fleshy thing that the armed guy was holding (that presumably had the tracker in it) looked more like a organ from an alien's innards than something crudely scratched out and discarded. Wondering what the story behind that is.

Bernbaum

Very well could be. It is also in the midst of a firefight, so could be gunfire damage. Either way, it's incredibly detailed work.

Waldini

Everything I've seen so far looks like a Jurassic Park movie. I had no doubts about the CGI. The footage we are getting now looks great. I mean, it's ILM for crying out loud.

I love how they showed an extra second of "Rexy" moving in to get the goat. I do hope she absolutely trashes the I-Rex though.

I mean ... when the Isla Nublar accident happened she got some decent "hunting" training. The years after that must've developed her hunting skills even more. Whereas the I-Rex was confined to a small space and fed.

.. please Trevorrow. Don't kill Rexy. Please?

Trevorrow is a JP fan like all of us, I think he will give her a shot at redemption after that abomination of a fight in JP3.

I wouldn't be surprised if she smashes through the spino skeleton on the main street as a nod to it.

Jawmuncher

Kind of wish the colors of the raptors were more pronounced. I see Blue being the most popular just because you can tell her outright in the shots.

epic-new-jurassic-world-movie-footage-shown-in-latest-featurette.png

Best picture I could find. But perhaps the full film will do a good job of working on that. The Lego descriptions on them were interesting.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I was hoping some of you would post your collections, especially those of you with figures from the past since I'd never collected them. I know some of you have already, but do it again! Get up close.

Most of what I've got hanging around is the standard stuff, hardcover books, DVD's, Blu-Ray, the special edition of the TellTale game (cool stuff even though the game sucked)

But I do have this paper I got from the midnight screening of JP1

Most of what I've got hanging around is the standard stuff, hardcover books, DVD's, Blu-Ray, the special edition of the TellTale game (cool stuff even though the game sucked)

But I do have this paper I got from the midnight screening of JP1
Awesome! I used to collect magazines and articles of JP and TLW. Never saw that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom