• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World SPOILER THREAD | Boy, do I hate being spoiled all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that Trevorrow was being headhunted for the Star Wars and Jurassic Park franchises on the basis of one film. Safety not Guaranteed was cool and all, but the strengths of that film come from the quirky screenplay and not so much the direction.

Making that quirky script work in addition to getting really good performances and so on is all on him but I agree that it is a little strange. Still, it's amusing to go back and see some of the cynics claiming that they only picked Trevorrow so that they could boss him around when it's clear now that they gave him a lot of free reign to the point where they let not only him and his writing partner tackle the script for additional months but they also allowed for the budget/production expansion to accommodate for his vision.

If they just hired Trevorrow so that they could tell him what to do, they would have just went with Jaffa and Silver's script and told him to deal with it. So yeah, just another reason why I don't take internet cynics that act like they were at these meetings seriously.

Jawmuncher

Making that quirky script work in addition to getting really good performances and so on is all on him but I agree that it is a little strange. Still, it's amusing to go back and see some of the cynics claiming that they only picked Trevorrow so that they could boss him around when it's clear now that they gave him a lot of free reign to the point where they let not only him and his writing partner tackle the script for additional months but they also allowed for the budget/production expansion to accommodate for his vision.

If they just hired Trevorrow so that they could tell him what to do, they would have just went with Jaffa and Silver's script and told him to deal with it. So yeah, just another reason why I don't take internet cynics that act like they were at these meetings seriously.

Could part of that been do to Spielbergs weight on the project though? No one exactly says no to that guy, so I could see him being pretty defensive if they tried to do that.

Could part of that been do to Spielbergs weight on the project though? No one exactly says no to that guy, so I could see him being pretty defensive if they tried to do that.

Sure, but it just tells me that they cared, and again they let Trevorrow and Connolly do their thing with the script. It doesn't sound like the "suits" forced Colin into anything, and he was going to deny the job if they didn't let him bring his own thing into the story.

Sure, but it just tells me that they cared, and again they let Trevorrow and Connolly do their thing with the script. It doesn't sound like the "suits" forced Colin into anything, and he was going to deny the job if they didn't let him bring his own thing into the story.
Reading that timeline, this was the first thing I thought of. The know it all cynics who made those claims.

Guys, why is the only dino game coming out with playable dinos in open spaces a LEGO game? I'll take it and be happy but if you guys could plug into my brain...

Jawmuncher

Reading that timeline, this was the first thing I thought of. The know it all cynics who made those claims.

Guys, why is the only dino game coming out with playable dinos in open spaces a LEGO game? I'll take it and be happy but if you guys could plug into my brain...
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=447132882
While this is rough and just started dev. This will have playable dinos.
There's also Primal Carnage Extinction for PS4 at some point (Out on PC).

Jawmuncher

edit: nevermind :p
Seeing the post before the edit.
dwight-the-office-cre2ssep.gif

----

Has there been a forecast on how much it needs to make worldwide for franchise potential? I think regardless it'll be making that much but i'm curious. I know the forecast ATM is 100-130 million opening which is damn good. I could easily see something like 115 million. Considering for summer it'll be pretty quiet until it's release. I don't expect San Andreas or anything opening on June 5 to have very big numbers or hold big numbers either.

I do think it's a movie's job to either change people's mind or live up to expectations. I don't see anything wrong with complaining about bad or underwhelming trailers.

There's nothing wrong with complaining about underwhelming trailers, but I would argue that there are variables that people should keep in check as they're doing so. I get a tinge of careless negativity from some posts, and by extension, yes, this makes me think that some are just naturally negative/cynical which leads me to think that they're not going to like something no matter what. Especially when the complaining dated back to before we even witnessed a shred of footage.

But I know it's just message board posting and everyone has an opinion. It's cool. I just like to be more open minded about things, is all.

There's nothing wrong with complaining about underwhelming trailers, but I would argue that there are variables that people should keep in check as they're doing so. I get a tinge of careless negativity from some posts, and by extension, yes, this makes me think that some are just naturally negative/cynical which leads me to think that they're not going to like something no matter what. Especially when the complaining dated back to before we even witnessed a shred of footage.

But I know it's just message board posting and everyone has an opinion. It's cool. I just like to be more open minded about things, is all.

Like I said in my removed post, I think those are a very small minority. I don't think people fully make up they're minds before seeing something (unless they're immature). There's the element of surprise since trailers can be deceiving.

It's just I've seen you pull that card a few times :p

Jawmuncher

Hopefully it hits the higher marks of around 130.

That's what i'm hoping. I'm wanting it to do huge and basically hold a steady flow even after it. I think the World Wide market is really going to help a lot. Especially since there isn't much in june to fill it's action/adventure slot. The only other really big movies seem to be Ted 2 and Inside Out.

The face looks fine to me. It has a sorta Komodo Dragon look to it.

If there's one thing that really has continued to look off to me, it's the eyes:

PmpmbKq.jpg

Everything about that shot looks amazing IMO... expect for the eyes. They just look off.

If there's one thing that really has continued to look off to me, it's the eyes:

PmpmbKq.jpg

Everything about that shot looks amazing IMO... expect for the eyes. They just look off.

Why is that middle one different from the others? It's got sort of spikes on its eyebrows.

Why is that middle one different from the others? It's got sort of spikes on its eyebrows.

That one's Blue, she's the oldest.

To our left is Delta, who has the most bird DNA with round pupils and a larger nasal crest. In the far back is Echo who fought Blue for control of the pack and lost, and then finally there is Charlie to the far right who is the youngest and twitchiest of the bunch.

They all are strung together with different DNA, but the variation in skull shape could be an age or alpha type of thing anyways.

Oh, ok. And are there any males? Or they're still all females?

I believe they're all female- I am not sure if the same can be said about all the animals in the park though.

Operating on the theory that all of the Raptors being females I suppose one could say the male Raptors could still have quills, JP3 style. Either way, I love the variety of their looks. It's believable even without the alternate DNA explanation, yet still gives them each a little unique character.

Bernbaum

That one's Blue, she's the oldest.

To our left is Delta, who has the most bird DNA with round pupils and a larger nasal crest. In the far back is Echo who fought Blue for control of the pack and lost, and then finally there is Charlie to the far right who is the youngest and twitchiest of the bunch.

They all are strung together with different DNA, but the variation in skull shape could be an age or alpha type of thing anyways.
The Lego website has a profile for each of the four raptors, and what extra DNA has been thrown into each one (monitor lizard, iguana, bird, gecko). Has this been mentioned elsewhere?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

PmpmbKq.jpg

They look so adorable with their heads tilted up! They can't be killers... I wanna hugs them :x

I was playing dinos with my son and wife and we each had a raptor. He named them Grumps, Shooper, Gab and a fourth he brought in named Bites. Needless to say, telling him the JW names was a little anti-climactic haha.

Superflat

Watched Jurassic Park again and what I really appreciate about it and what I hope Jurassic World has as well is a real sense of danger and suspense.

There will be dinosaurs, screaming people and action in Jurassic World, certainly, but I hope they make it so that it's all actually frightening. It's selfish to project how I think a movie should or shouldn't be but I would prefer it not go the route of Marvel films where the action and spectacle is truly amazing/bombastic, but they hardly ever feel dangerous. I want lives to be in danger and have it come across as a actually scary event. There's little else in the world that would fill me with more dread than having to contend against unpredictable, lethal predators, and I hope the film is able to get that across in a way that's truly terrifying.

Ellie turning the power on by herself, kids hiding from Raptors in the kitchen, Nedry's ill fated encounter with the Dilo -- they were all fairly understated (slow build up, very little music) but scared the living shit out of me. Watching JP always reminds me what I really loved about it compared to its sequels. TLW's large death count and emphasis on action made death nearly meaningless and more "Hollywood" (though the trailer sequence was great with suspense), while JP3 was... well, JP3.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
TLW's large death count made many of them meaningless and more "Hollywood", while JP3 was... well, JP3.

TLW has already felt... weird to me. Like, it feels like a JP movie, but something has always felt off about it. Maybe the 2-part bit I've mentioned before. 3 is just a joked with shouting, screaming parents, unlikable characters (cept Grant) and talking raptors. I don't know what they were trying to be in that movie.

Superflat

TLW has already felt... weird to me. Like, it feels like a JP movie, but something has always felt off about it. Maybe the 2-part bit I've mentioned before. 3 is just a joked with shouting, screaming parents, unlikable characters (cept Grant) and talking raptors. I don't know what they were trying to be in that movie.

JP was made in a era that handled film differently. I can't put my finger on it, but it has much more of a pure escapism, traditional vibe. By the time TLW came out four years later, the general landscape of films changed; became more self-aware/referential, focused on flash, and began to be more like what films are like today (generally speaking). Maybe it feels more grounded due to everything being laced with sarcasm and cynicism? Like I said, it's really tough to pinpoint why TLW feels so different, purely from a tonal and filmmaking sense.

With JP3 I can see what the director/writers were going for. A dysfunctional family at the start of a movie that becomes a functional family by the end -- it's a fine arc if done well (if not pretty boilerplate and cliche). It just feels like this family story arc was crammed into a Jurassic Park film for no reason other than "we need a story to tell and I guess this fits the bill". It has all the hamminess and comedy of a Disney Channel Original Film, amid multiple unrelated subplots about Ellie, Raptor eggs, and a bloodthirsty Spinosaurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom