• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World Super Bowl TV Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks fantastic. GAF is too cynical. Well, internet culture is too damn cynical. No sense of excitement for anything anymore without a bunch of nitpicking

strafer

super-bowl-49-movie-social-media-chart-relish-mix.png

Poor Terminator :D

First time i have seen the trailer looks pretty cool. I can see where its going though with pratt training those raptors, Turner and Hooch/K9 but with dinosaurs

bengraven

Looks fantastic. GAF is too cynical. Well, internet culture is too damn cynical. No sense of excitement for anything anymore without a bunch of nitpicking

Yeah, the cynical comic-book-geek like mentality has really corrupted a lot of our hype these days. It's like you have to defend your excitement or get scoffed by elitists with their hyperbole.

I'm even guilty of it, I can't help it. I can't get excited for shit anymore that I would have loved when I was younger. It's like the whole shit episode of South Park.

The problem I see, and obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, nor does it invalidate criticism, is that even if the problems people seem to be frequently mentioning (unfinished CG, no feathers or disregard for science, etc.), I can damn well guarantee that some of these folk would simply find something else to complain about. The final CG can look way better, but people would move onto the next thing (or still claim that the CG looks bad). The dinosaurs could have feathers, but armchair paleontologists would still scour the dinosaurs' looks and behaviors for "issues." It's a train of cynicism that doesn't stop.

With some movies, some people decide upfront whether or not they're going to like it. Someone could say "well, Brandon, just like how you've decided that it's great before seeing it." But that's not true. I could very well not like it. I thought the other sequels looked awesome and was hyped for them going in; especially with Spielberg directing, Malcolm coming back, Grant coming back, etc. There's always a chance that I won't like stuff about it. I haven't seen it yet. But I love the concept and the new ideas/themes going on. I hope I love it, but that's not a guarantee. I think I'm definitely more open to things than others, that's absolutely true, but it's still not something that is written in stone.

guek

Banned
I can't put my finger on exactly why but a new artificial dino bothers me more than trained raptors.

I can't put my finger on exactly why but a new artificial dino bothers me more than trained raptors.

It's a dumb idea, but it's also a dumb idea even within the context of the movie. You even have a character saying "probably not a good idea." They sensibly justified it with what's going on in the story, which is why I'm down for it, and the design visually gels with other Jurassic Park dinosaurs. If it were some crazy town design I may have feared that it's too cheesy, but I don't think that's the case. It looks like something that they could have very well created and it pilots the idea of how the park owners and scientists got way too comfortable with the fact that Jurassic World has been operational for a decade with no mishaps.

Snaku

Banned

And yet it's thematically closer to Crichton's original warnings against unchecked genetic engineering in the original novel than anything seen in the last two films. If the first movie focused on the inevitable failure and unpredictability of complex systems, it's only right that the true spiritual sequel focus on genetic tampering run amok.

Roo

I liked it
I think CGI still needs some work tho. It looks really rough =/
Other than that, I'm excited.

guek

Banned
It's a dumb idea, but it's also a dumb idea even within the context of the movie. You even have a character saying "probably not a good idea." They sensibly justified it with what's going on in the story, which is why I'm down for it, and the design visually gels with other Jurassic Park dinosaurs. If it were some crazy town design I may have feared that it's too cheesy, but I don't think that's the case. It looks like something that they could have very well created and it pilots the idea of how the park owners and scientists got way too comfortable with the fact that Jurassic World has been operational for a decade with no mishaps.
I'm not completely down on the idea, I suppose I'm just concerned it'll be too cheesy like you said. They haven't shown a good reason why they made a new killer super dinosaur so the rationale behind it is still a mystery. I'll be very disappointed if it just boils down to them making because they could. It's kinda like why the hell did they breed raptors at all in the first movie but hey, I didn't care about that in the end so maybe the same thing will happen here.

I think I'm also still experiencing some of the bad aftertaste of the spinosaurus in jpIII.

And yet it's thematically closer to Crichton's original warnings against unchecked genetic engineering in the original novel than anything seen in the last two films. If the first movie focused on the inevitable failure and unpredictability of complex systems, it's only right that the true spiritual sequel focus on genetic tampering run amok.

The major problem I had with the sequels is that they didn't really expand on any of these themes. That's why people call a lot of sequels cash-grabs. They oftentimes fail to capitalize on the established story themes. Naturally you can call any movie or sequel a cash-grab if you see fit because yeah most movies are made for money, but I'm thrilled that this one actually feels like a spiritual successor to the original movie with new ideas rather than throwing random returning character that people liked back onto Sorna even though they likely would never go back. And that's another reason why I'm okay that this isn't Grant or Malcolm again. Those characters didn't define Jurassic Park for me. They could have been anyone.

I'm not completely down on the idea, I suppose I'm just concerned it'll be too cheesy like you said. They haven't shown a good reason why they made a new killer super dinosaur so the rationale behind it is still a mystery. I'll be very disappointed if it just boils down to them making because they could. It's kinda like why the hell did they breed raptors at all in the first movie but hey, I didn't care about that in the end so maybe the same thing will happen here.

The rationale is that where World has been open for a decade and some change when the movie starts, attendance has been declining because audiences have already "been there and done that" and Indominus is their spark that they hope will start bringing people back. I think the idea is that one new dinosaur could bring back pre-existing visitors, but I also think that had Indominus not broken free and raised hell that they would have kept making new dinosaurs until something went wrong.

guek

Banned
The rationale is that where World has been open for a decade and some change when the movie starts, attendance has been declining because audiences have already "been there and done that" and Indominus is their spark that they hope will start bringing people back. I think the idea is that one new dinosaur could bring back pre-existing visitors, but I also think that had Indominus not broken free and raised hell that they would have kept making new dinosaurs until something went wrong.

Yeah that doesn't really justify making a giant hyper intelligent killing machine.

Yeah that doesn't really justify making a giant hyper intelligent killing machine.

To a bunch of business suits who have been running the park successfully for all this time, it absolutely does. They make a huge cage for it with winding staircases on either side and audience seating way up high. They think that they can maintain this as they've made T-Rexes and Mosasaurs, so why not this? That's the logic behind the park runners. Of course that's what bites them in the ass.

I have a feeling some of the behavior and abilities of the I-Rex weren't known or accounted for during its development.

Speculation/spoilers on I-Rex's escape:
Why would they give it the ability to camouflage itself and go investigate inside the pen when it couldn't be located?

Verger

Banned
I have a feeling some of the behavior and abilities of the I-Rex weren't known or accounted for during its development.

Speculation/spoilers on I-Rex's escape:
Why would they give it the ability to camouflage itself and go investigate inside the pen when it couldn't be located?
Which is EXACTLY keeping with the themes of what Chricton spelled out in JP1 through Ian Malcolm.
John, the kind of control you're attempting simply is... it's not possible. If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh... well, there it is.

Don't you see the danger, John, inherent in what you're doing here? Genetic power is the most awesome force the planet's ever seen, but you wield it like a kid that's found his dad's gun.

I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now
[bangs on the table] you're selling it, you wanna sell it.
Well...

Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

hence in JP1 the animals changing sexes and breeding totally unexpected.

No doubt the I-Rex is going to pull a lot of surprises out which continues the cycle. Basically 10 years of no issues has made Wu and company full of hubris and believing once again they have mastery of genetics. The I-Rex is the next step of human arrogance (combined with capitalist greed).

So to me, Jurassic World is already taking more cues from JP1 and feeling like a proper sequel than 2 or 3

guek

Banned
Perhaps the biggest leap of faith is the notion that a fully functional theme park with live dinosaurs would ever struggle with attendance

Agree. I want the raptors to be the villains for the fourth movie in a row. I hate that shit where the sequel actually tries something different and flips expectations by making the previous antagonist an ally.

*Goes to watch Terminator 2.

My beef with the "pet" raptors is as follows.

The primary statement of Jurassic Park is that nature is outside of man's control and attempting to harness or control that kind of power a) is impossible and b) has dire consequences.

The raptors in the first film were (in my mind) tied with the T-Rex as the primary physical manifestations/representations of man's hubris come back to bite him, literally...

Then you show me a future where we've figured out that raptors aren't this unknowable force of nature removed from humanity by 65 million years of evolution, instead they're basically just big scaly rottweilers that were just waiting for Chris Pratt and his snark to come along and train 'em up real good.

On the other hand, I understand their reasoning. They can't cut the raptors, they're practically synonymous with Jurassic Park. The two sequels tried to up the ante with their intelligence and threat level and both failed miserably. So they have to be in the movie and they have to be something different, this is the direction they went. I'm not passing judgment until I see the movie (in theaters on opening day, by the way), but "pet" raptors don't sit well with me as of now.

Perhaps the biggest leap of faith is the notion that a fully functional theme park with live dinosaurs would ever struggle with attendance

After such a short time too... even if the park opened immediately after the events of 3 that's only, what, 14 years they've been open? Disneyland's been open for the better part of a century and they're still making bank, far as I know. Seems like live dinosaurs would be more than just a flash in the pan fad kind of thing.

I'm curious if they'll touch on the huge potential effects of cloning and the impact that technology could have in the real world. Have they, as Hammond sarcastically suggested, created flocks of Condors and other endangered/extinct species using their dino-tech? Were there advancements in the medical field? Is human cloning a thing??

On the other hand, leave that stuff alone, just give me scary dinosaurs chasing jack-ass lawyers into urinals.

Verger

Banned
I don't see that at all. Look at how humans view "commodities". New technologies are always replacing the old and the old are looked at as "outdated". Jurassic World is not "struggling" with attendance, but its numbers are declining, and for a capitalist business like Masrani, that's no good.

If you compare it to a Zoo, a zoo has good numbers, but usually not earth-shattering attendance. Jurassic World is built to accommodate about 40,000 visitors per day, and its attendance has lowered to around half that. But Jurassic World is also considered a theme park, and what to theme parks do to stay relevant? They make new attractions. So Jurassic World makes new Dinosaurs.

Not to mention the upkeep and overhead for a place like Isla Nublar with its super structure security and personnel costs no doubt costs maybe ten's of millions or more to operate on a daily basis.

I mean, how crazy would it be to go see something that never existed to begin with?

Which is EXACTLY keeping with the themes of what Chricton spelled out in JP1 through Ian Malcolm.

hence in JP1 the animals changing sexes and breeding totally unexpected.

No doubt the I-Rex is going to pull a lot of surprises out which continues the cycle. Basically 10 years of no issues has made Wu and company full of hubris and believing once again they have mastery of genetics. The I-Rex is the next step of human arrogance (combined with capitalist greed).

So to me, Jurassic World is already taking more cues from JP1 and feeling like a proper sequel than 2 or 3

Bingo. I mean, this alone

Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

Is kinda the crux of "why would they make this hybrid?" exceed you add in corporate reed to the mix.

You have to remember that this is 20+ years after the first Jurassic Park, and the park has been open for 10 years without incident. That's long enough for children to grow up, knowing that dinosaurs have existed/exist in modern day, and to get bored of them.

I mean, kids in present day go to the zoo thinking they'll see lions attacking zebras, elephants stomping around, or monkeys climbing everywhere eating bananas, and leave disappointed. These are species that are thousands upon thousands of years old, descended from creatures that are millions of years old, but we take them for granted.

EDIT: Bah, beaten, basically. Technology is another good way of looking at it. An iPhone would have blown the mind of anyone 20 years ago.

It would obviously be booming for a while as it's like "cool, dinosaurs" but like with anything, it would have a new car smell that wears off. Also, major parks frequently expand and look for new attractions to make even more money, even if attendance isn't necessarily declining. The cost that it would take to run Jurassic World is likely incomprehensible, so even a slight decrease in attendance could spook them. It's not like people are tired of dinosaurs now and no one is coming anymore; the park still gets 20,000 visitors, roughly, per day. But again like with anything, after a while the interest would begin to decline, even if just bit by bit.

The brother to Ty Simpkins' character has been to the park and he's not even interested in going back, but I take it from the teaser that he's going, reluctantly, because it's his brother's first trip. So he's super excited and whose eyes we are meant to be looking through going into the island (as its also the movie theater audiences' first time going) but we see through the older brother, who has been there, that the "new car smell" has worn off for him.

This is also why there are OH GOD KIDS in the movie.

Not sure how I feel about this movie. I will no doubt see it but something feels "off" about it. I think Pratt's delivery is pretty odd. Weird delivery.

Not sure how I feel about this movie. I will no doubt see it but something feels "off" about it. I think Pratt's delivery is pretty odd. Weird delivery.

People are used to him being comedic but he's playing a more down to earth fellow in this. He's kind of a keep to himself employee who lives off-site.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
People are used to him being comedic but he's playing a more down to earth fellow in this. He's kind of a keep to himself employee who lives off-site.

There's this, but I think sometimes people forget that dialogue does occasionally change from trailers, as well. For example, if you watched The Interview and then re-watched the trailer, some of the dialogue was, in fact changed. Editing is a looooong process and trailers are usually hastily done.

I am glad that the monorail is gone though. I always thought it was a dumb idea to put it in a tank where the Mosasaur can clearly reach it.

I realize we don't know much about his performance but the bits in the trailer feel off regardless of his previous work. Its just not quite right. I can't really figure out how to describe it.

There's this, but I think sometimes people forget that dialogue does occasionally change from trailers, as well. For example, if you watched The Interview and then re-watched the trailer, some of the dialogue was, in fact changed. Editing is a looooong process and trailers are usually hastily done.

I only use trailers as a glimpse of a movie, not as complete gospel, because that's exactly right. There are usually tons of changes and alternate takes. We can hope for the best obviously.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I only use trailers as a glimpse of a movie, not as complete gospel, because that's exactly right. There are usually tons of changes and alternate takes. We can hope for the best obviously.

Yeah I don't understand the whole "their acting is terrible! Dialogue sucks!" when it MAY not even be used. But I don't get people judging everything off a trailer, either. There's been crappy trailers for really good movies, as well as really good trailers for bad movies.

Yeah I don't understand the whole "their acting is terrible! Dialogue sucks!" when it MAY not even be used. But I don't get people judging everything off a trailer, either. There's been crappy trailers for really good movies, as well as really good trailers for bad movies.

People can judge what they're given, but yeah, that should also be taken into consideration.

jonezer4

My beef with the "pet" raptors is as follows.

The primary statement of Jurassic Park is that nature is outside of man's control and attempting to harness or control that kind of power a) is impossible and b) has dire consequences.

The raptors in the first film were (in my mind) tied with the T-Rex as the primary physical manifestations/representations of man's hubris come back to bite him, literally...

Yeah, but it makes sense to a degree within the story as we know it; it fits hand in hand thematically with their ill-advised development of the I-Rex.

The raptors and all dinosaurs were an unpredictable wild card when they brought them into existence resulting in the events of JP1. Obviously 20 years later, we've adapted and know better how to control them. They're "old hat" now. Once you've trained raptors... the danger is gone. The intrigue is gone. Man is inexorably fascinated with the unknown, and always quick to grow bored of new technology. Ten years ago, having a smart phone was akin to magic. Now, we're not impressed with any of it. 20 years ago, well done CG blew us away... now, there's pretty much nothing that's going to really wow us. (In that regard, JP4 is almost making a meta commentary about the technology its predecessor advanced.)

That's, presumably, what the movie is about. Mankind has grown tired of dinosaurs. The newness has worn off. The danger has worn off. We know them too well, to the point where we're training the worst of them. So what do the scientists of Jurassic World do? They allow mankind's hubris to rear its ugly head once more, again with dire results. They genetically construct a new, more terrifying dinosaur. And it's as imprudent as it was 20 years ago, when the original dinosaurs were more mysterious and fascinating.

I don't understand the haters (not to lump you in that group). Honestly, from everything we know, this is probably the most logical, natural progression of the Jurassic Park story that could have happened. It's certainly head and shoulders above 2 and 3, although that's admittedly not saying much.

Who wants the climax to be the T-rex from the first movie going head to head with the I-rex?

That would immensely satisfy my inner-90s child sooo much!

I am actually okay with the trained raptors as it is mentioned they could also be genetically modified so they could be partly tamed. That makes sense for me, additionally this does significantly mix things up as the Raptors always become a large adversary for the protagonists. This time they are helping out! Which is cool!

Even if this movie sucks, I think I am still going to have a blast.

Andrin

Yeah, but it makes sense to a degree within the story as we know it; it fits hand in hand thematically with their ill-advised development of the I-Rex.

The raptors and all dinosaurs were an unpredictable wild card when they brought them into existence resulting in the events of JP1. Obviously 20 years later, we've adapted and know better how to control them. They're "old hat" now. Once you've trained raptors... the danger is gone. The intrigue is gone. Man is inexorably fascinated with the unknown, and always quick to grow bored of new technology. Ten years ago, having a smart phone was akin to magic. Now, we're not impressed with any of it. 20 years ago, well done CG blew us away... now, there's pretty much nothing that's going to really wow us. (In that regard, JP4 is almost making a meta statement about the technology its predecessor advanced.)

Tthat's, presumably, what the movie is about. Mankind has grown tired of dinosaurs. The newness has worn off. The danger has worn off. We know them too well, to the point where we're training the worst of them. So what do the scientists of Jurassic World do? They allow mankind's hubris to rear its ugly head once more, again with dire results. The genetically construct a new, more terrifying dinosaur. And it's as imprudent as it was 20 years ago, when the original dinosaurs were more mysterious and fascinating.

I don't understand the haters (not to lump you in that group). Honestly, from everything we know, this is probably the most logical, natural progression of the Jurassic Park story that could have happened. It's certainly head and shoulders above 2 and 3, although that's admittedly not saying much.

I fully agree. It's like the statement they made early on during production, where in the idea phase they had come up with a picture of a teenager playing with his phone with his back turned to the giant, fenced in T-Rex in the background and how they based the premise of the movie on that image and what the standard greedy board of directors would want to do to recapture that teenager (and his wallet).

As for the raptors, people forget that we've already done this before. Wolves are alpha predators, intelligent hunters and work in packs to outmaneuvre and overpower their prey. Sounds familiar? And yet mankind managed to tame them and breed them down into chihuauas, in pre-historic times no less, with none of the advantages of modern technology or scientific knowledge. So while the 10-year time span is pushing it slightly I don't find it impossible at all to see trained raptors in the film (trained, not domesticated mind you. Nothing shown so far would indicate that they would wait at the table for scraps of food or play fetch on a nice summer day).

Allard

Another good showcase is the one Return of the King trailer from the Lord of the Rings, Aragorns speech had a completely different delivery in the final film compared to the one in the trailer, and looking back on it the final version fit the context of the movie way better but the one in the trailers fit the trailer much better then the final one would have. They pull the takes they want to for promotional purposes if it syncs up with what they are trying to show thematically and quick to get peoples attention. The only thing I can fault at the moment is they chose poorly for this trailer since we haven't actually seen the final cut of the movie.

strafer

Chris Pratt
If anyone asks I'll be at home playing with myself.

Here’s a first look at the LEGO Owen MiniFigure from #JurassicWorld, in theaters June 12.

Thank you LEGO! Everything is awesome!!! (Until the genetic hybrid dinosaur they made gets loose and starts killing for sport.)

chrislegok1bzd.jpg

SoldnerKei

(Until the genetic hybrid dinosaur they made gets loose and starts killing for sport.)

he even knows how silly that line sounds lol

I wonder if they just made a full grown dinosaur or the baby dino is that big that & will get bigger as the movie progress because "unknown dino genetics"

Manu

They seriously CG'd his arm in. I thought I was imaging things til I went back and watched the first trailer.

"We go after it with everything we got"

*Commands raptor to attack on his motorcycle*

lol k

It's a fan made gif.

I can't believe people keep falling for it.

DSN2K

looks really good, i dont think CG looks bad at all, Infact I'm quite confused when people scream it looks awful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom