• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 announced. PS3 and X360

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Comparison:
932363_20060508_screen011.jpg

screenshot_189605.jpg

dork

Banned
The other one was decent, but it was to big. I ended up having to walk for 3 hours to do a mission, if I feel down the side of a mountain or jumped down it. I had to walk 300 miles to get back up

JCBossman

Banned
I approve of this if you aren't going to go realistic go over the top like Crackdown, or the first Just Cause with the Zip Line.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
dork said:
The other one was decent, but it was to big. I ended up having to walk for 3 hours to do a mission, if I feel down the side of a mountain or jumped down it. I had to walk 300 miles to get back up

That sounds like great exploration to me. :D

I really liked JC1. Fantastic looking environments, but the side missions got a bit tedious. Sounds like they're aware of the problems though. One of the few games I got all the achievements for.

dork said:

Call base and get them to send you a jeep/boat/gyrocopter!

Zenith

Banned
dork said:

you realise in those cases you can have a vehicle airdropped, or failing that just teleport to the safehouse of your choice.

Zenith said:
you realise in those cases you can have a vehicle airdropped, or failing that just teleport to the safehouse of your choice.

To be fair there were a few problems with those vehicle drops, it would complain that you weren't visible on their radar or that the ground was uneven or not clear enough.

dork

Banned
Yeah I could get a jeep airlifted to me, let me know when jeeps can drive straight up mountain sides

MCD

Amir0x said:
what the fuck that looks amazing, bullshots?
JC1 pictures by dcharlie? nope, why would they be?

JC2 will be better since it's all next gen now, no ps2/xbox ports.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Amir0x said:
Of course :)

Madman

bathala said:
it better come out before Mercenaries 2 or it'll be over shadowed.
That, Prototype, and InFamous are all doing the superhero angle in a sandbox.

Along with the next GTA and possibly Saint's Row 2 the sandbox style is certaintly very well stocked, at least on consoles.

Amir0x said:

Probably some bullshottin' going on here but then Just Cause was a beautiful looking game....at times.....if Avalanche refines their engine and gives us more to do in the world then JC2 is going to be fucking amazing.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Probably some bullshottin' going on here but then Just Cause was a beautiful looking game....at times....

I'd say beautiful 98% of the time, there were some un-everness with some of the close up terrain & some of the character models, but other than that it's still in the top 10 best looking games out out now.

The in-air graphics of Just Cause are maybe the best I've seen on a console. Everything was just so beautiful. The on-ground stuff looked good too, but there were some inconsistancies there.

I'm hoping the that 'stunt' system is given some more depth. Given some polish, using stunts to traverse the island could be really, really fun. They just missed the mark in that regard in the original game.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
The first game piqued my interested but didn't get it cause I thought it was going to fail, my friend got it and I liked it. Hopefully they will resolve some of the issues that the first one was plagued with so this one can be all that it can be! :D

Yagharek

I was waiting/hoping for this to be announced. Just Cause was boring in terms of combat, exploration and mission structure - the cities were lifeless, the jungle was lifeless, the water looked lifeless/dry like Far Cry - but the audio and sound design when freefalling from 5km was done perfectly.

Extend that to the rest of the game and it shall be one to watch.

Tr4nce

I played this game at my friend's place, back when his X360 was still, you know, alive.

I absolutely loved the skydiving and the free roaming, but it appeared to me that the gameplay itself would get boring after a few days. Let's hope they fix that, because the first part had a lot of potential. Skydiving never felt so awesome.

Back when the first game was about to release they said that the sequel would have coop. I guess they ditched that idea pretty fast :(

Gwanatu T

Great! The ones that aren't as bullshotty as others definitely look great, better than Mercs 2 if you ask me. I enjoyed about half of the first game and then just got sick of the repetetive "liberate the village!" missions. Hopefully they give this game the added kick it needs, because the environments were unbelievable.

B E N K E

I recently visited Avalanche (it's just down the road from my flat) to do so interviews and check the game out. Funny story is that already on my first visit there when they showed Just Cause prior to its announcement the founder Christofer was talking about Just Cause 2, of course that was prior to the first game's delays so he imagined it would still be for last gen consoles. Oh well things change.

It was early code, but it looks interesting. Now the grappling hook can attach to basically anything so Rico is swinging away almost like Spider-Man combining the grappling with the parachute. Makes for very fast travelling and allows you to catch up with vehicles and the gameplay to be more vertical. The structure for side missions is completely redone as well, eventough the principal of destabilizing areas remain.

Anyway I interviewed the producer Daniel Willför so you can check it out if you want:

http://www.gamereactor.se/grtv/player/popup.php?cat=Interview&id=1808 (yes, I need to cut my hair)

pr0cs

B E N K E said:
I recently visited Avalanche (it's just down the road from my flat) to do so interviews and check the game out. Funny story is that already on my first visit there when they showed Just Cause prior to its announcement the founder Christofer was talking about Just Cause 2, of course that was prior to the first game's delays so he imagined it would still be for last gen consoles. Oh well things change.

It was early code, but it looks interesting. Now the grappling hook can attach to basically anything so Rico is swinging away almost like Spider-Man combining the grappling with the parachute. Makes for very fast travelling and allows you to catch up with vehicles and the gameplay to be more vertical. The structure for side missions is completely redone as well, eventough the principal of destabilizing areas remain.

Anyway I interviewed the producer Daniel Willför so you can check it out if you want:

http://www.gamereactor.se/grtv/player/popup.php?cat=Interview&id=1808 (yes, I need to cut my hair)

great interview!

Flying a Helicopter to it's limits than ejecting a free falling for a minute or two at night was the best thing ever. I've never experienced that in any other game. The skydiving was the craziest shit ever and still is.

n1n9tean

Banned
Bullshots, anyone?

But, I do have an important question for 360 gamers; should we PS3 give a three-legged mutt's flea about this game (based on experiences of the first one)?

pr0cs

n1n9tean said:
Bullshots, anyone?

But, I do have an important question for 360 gamers; should we PS3 give a three-legged mutt's flea about this game (based on experiences of the first one)?
erm.
I do not comprehend 3 legged mutt's flea.

I almost bought the 360 version of the first game but the commentary here hasn't been all that favorable and the demo while interesting had me thinking the game was a little shallow.

If they fixed the shallow gameplay (and from the video above it sounds like they took a lot of criticism in mind) in the new game I'll buy.
I'm a sucker for sandbox games.

n1n9tean

Banned
McBacon said:
DCharlie is banned, so I'll do the honor of posting his awesome photos of the first game:

Cool, never seen those before. I think the skies look great in that game. I've only been on a plane a few times in my life; but, as far as flying through the clouds and being able to look far off into the distance of clearer skies, they seemed to have done a good job of capturing that. It really makes you "feel" something just to look at it. Therefore, I'll give this game my attention leading up to it's release.

@pr0cs :lol It's okay, I was improvising as I typed. I was speaking of a single parasite feeding off the back of a three-legged mutt (mixed breed, mangy dog).

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Wow see, to my untrained eye this looks just as good, if not better than Uncharted.

n1n9tean said:
Cool, never seen those before. I think the skies look great in that game. I've only been on a plane a few times in my life; but, as far as flying through the clouds and being able to look far off into the distance of clearer skies, they seemed to have done a good job of capturing that. It really makes you "feel" something just to look at it. Therefore, I'll give this game my attention leading up to it's release.

What those pics don't show is the amazing dynamic weather changes and incredible day/night cycle. It's really beautiful.

Just Cause may have its share of problems but damn if there isn't a ton of possiblities with that engine of theirs.

Top Bottom