• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 - 11 Minutes of New Gameplay (offscreen)

mcz117chief

Call it what you like. Content update is selling it very short.

Having played the first two ive only wanted 1 simple thing: MORE!

And nobody's forcing you to buy it. But come winter I'll be laughing my ass off while blowing stuff up. Happy Christmas to me.

Sure. I am happy that you enjoy the game and I hope you will like this one too. I would never want this game to flop or tell people not to play it. I also plan to get it but I don't feel like day 1. And as I said many times, "content update" is what I got from people from this thread, I just wanted to know why should I get it since I already played the previous game.

BigDug13

I didn't come up with that, that is what people in this thread told me it is. I just wanted to know if there is a reason for me to get it since I played the second game. That is all, if people would just tell me what you said without the insults I would be content.

You came into a thread about a game basically saying "I don't see the point in this game" so that put people on the defensive. You set their tone from the start. Maybe if YOU had approached your questions without the game insults, you would have gotten more congenial answers.

Fayte19

Neo Member
I loved JC2 I just hope the gunplay is improved this time around. I'll be getting it either way though, game looks phenomenal.

SomTervo

Why do I feel like I played this before ? It does look extremely similar to the first two games. Any new things that would warrant getting the 3rd game if I already played the second ? I am not trying to be a downer, I think that people who haven't played the first two should definitely wait and play this one, but is there any reason for players of the previous game to get it ?

I think the only real significant gameplay addition is the new stuff the grappling hook/claw can do.

Like, people had to mod it into the PC version. That is, the ability to attach more than 1 link between things. And the ability to make the claw retract and crash things together.

I think this is a significant gameplay change and will add a lot to the gameplay. That, along with smoothed out gunplay, has sold me entirely on Just Cause 3. The power of the new-gen consoles will help a lot, too. Some of the graphics in 2 were lame as hell, as much as it's a good looking game.

mcz117chief

I think the only real significant gameplay addition is the new stuff the grappling hook/claw can do.

Like, people had to mod it into the PC version. That is, the ability to attach more than 1 link between things. And the ability to make the claw retract and crash things together.

I think this is a significant gameplay change and will add a lot to the gameplay. That, along with smoothed out gunplay, has sold me entirely on Just Cause 3. The power of the new-gen consoles will help a lot, too. Some of the graphics in 2 were lame as hell, as much as it's a good looking game.

all right, thanks :)

You came into a thread about a game basically saying "I don't see the point in this game" so that put people on the defensive. You set their tone from the start. Maybe if YOU had approached your questions without the game insults, you would have gotten more congenial answers.

I asked in the positive way possible, I said that I think the game looks great for newcomers but people who already played the previous games might not get their money's worth unless I am missing something. How else should I have asked ?

Day One, pre ordered. I loved Just Cause 2, I didn't care much for the story since all I was doing was messing around in the open world :p JC3 looks awesome though :D

Going to be an amazing game

Still super bummed about no multiplayer

I thought after the JC2 mod they would have been inspired to do it themselves..

GHG

Gold Member

I asked in the positive way possible, I said that I think the game looks great for newcomers but people who already played the previous games might not get their money's worth unless I am missing something. How else should I have asked ?

Who are you to say/judge whether other people are getting their moneys worth?

You were straight up trolling from the start.

People have listed tons of improvements and additions in this thread. But yet, you keep on with this mantra about "moneys worth".

All you had to do was ask for someone to list the new additions and changes vs the 2nd game and people would have happily obliged.

When Just Cause 2 came out I was in high school and could only play the demo and I played it every single day I could. I'm tempted to get Just Cause 3 but I know I won't be playing it for the storyline. I just like to mess around. No multiplayer or co-op correct? That was only with PC mods?

I'm debating pre-ordering (day 1) or waiting for it to go on sale later since I think I will have so many other good games to play around this time.

Ramenman

Why do I feel like I played this before ? It does look extremely similar to the first two games. Any new things that would warrant getting the 3rd game if I already played the second ? I am not trying to be a downer, I think that people who haven't played the first two should definitely wait and play this one, but is there any reason for players of the previous game to get it ?

This trailer will explain some things : http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_just_cause_3_e3_trailer-34932_en.html

And this interview even more : http://www.gamesradar.com/just-cause-3-more-sandbox-almost-anything-else-out-there/

It's bigger, more destructible, and with a lot, lot more crazy tools. It embraces the fact that it's a sandbox for you to mess up in with your creativity and silly tools. If you go back to JC2 you'll realize how limited you were in hindsight in that regard, despite the game still being a hallmark of sandbox sillyness (namely : the black market and his stupid money requirement for example).

GHG

Gold Member
When Just Cause 2 came out I was in high school and could only play the demo and I played it every single day I could. I'm tempted to get Just Cause 3 but I know I won't be playing it for the storyline. I just like to mess around. No multiplayer or co-op correct? That was only with PC mods?

I'm debating pre-ordering (day 1) or waiting for it to go on sale later since I think I will have so many other good games to play around this time.

No co-op or MP unfortunately. Just hold onto your money and pre order nothing to see how the fall games pan out. There are bound to be a few disappointments...

Raonak

Banned
Yeah, of course I did.
something you don't understand ? I think I made my position clear but I can rephrase it for you if you want. What I meant to say is that it is a good game for people who haven't played the first two but people who already did don't have much of a reason to get it, or at least I don't see it.

As someone who's played JC2 a lot, there are so many small, but important changes here that completely change the game. New car physics + jump, infinite C4, multi- retractable tether, freefoam vehicle stunt mode, wingsuit. But IMO; most importantly; the new level of smoothness to the movement. Just cause 2 always had a bit of cunkyness to everything that this just smooths out.

It sounds/looks like minor stuff, but this is way more important than something cosmetic like a new location.

Multiplayer would have been a gamechanger and I am surprised they didnt register the demand for it in their heads after the MOD was built

BigDug13

Re read your FIRST post again. You said you've played this before because this one is just like the other two. This game looks no different. You didn't see any reason someone who played the first two should buy it. Nothing in your first post about positivity and even had to add the "don't mean to be a downer" as if that absolved the rest of the game shit posting. You set the tone for the responses you got.

Edit - after rereading, some of your first post was poorly written and I misread the intent so maybe it's all a misunderstanding here. But upon reading the first post, it came off as bashing the game.

Skux

JUMPING CARS oh my god this is going to rock

Wait so those three options show up when you arrive at a landmark? Does seem a bit cheap to give you a tank for free...

Ramenman

Multiplayer would have been a gamechanger and I am surprised they didnt register the demand for it in their heads after the MOD was built

Because the mod wasn't all that great. The best thing about it was the technical achievement and how well it was developped and stable for a thing that was deemed impossible and done by only 2-3 dudes. But aside from that, I spent maybe an hour or two in it and that's it, and I'm a huge fan of just cause.

The chaos and scale of it was a fun novelty, but it doesn't really let you express yourself as single player did, and it had a ton of things that would totally be a problem if they were part of a professional retail game, but that we gladly overlooked because it was just a free miraculed 2-person-team mod.

Yes maybe this allowed to see the "demand" for a JC multiplayer, but this didn't give a proper solution. I'm sure they'll get around to making JC multiplayer once they find a proper way to do it.

mcz117chief

Edit - after rereading, some of your first post was poorly written and I misread the intent so maybe it's all a misunderstanding here. But upon reading the first post, it came off as bashing the game.

I meant that people who haven't played the first two games should wait for the release of this game and play it instead of going to the shop to get the first two to get the feel for the game since they might get tired of the formula.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow. They beat Batman at his own game, grappling hook + wingsuit looks awesome as hell

EDIT: KNIGHT RIDER INSPIRED TURBO JUMP.

FUCK. That could have been the trailer

"KNIGHT RIDER INSPIRED TURBO JUMP *Car Jumps*"

SOLD. TWICE OVER

MCN

Banned
I meant that people who haven't played the first two games should wait for the release of this game and play it instead of going to the shop to get the first two to get the feel for the game since they might get tired of the formula.

If you're tired of the Just Cause formula, you're tired of life.

lewisgone

Yeah, I don't think it is worth it to play $60 for "few subtle changes". No reason to stop playing Just Cause 2 though. Maybe once it goes on steam for like $5 then I will get it.

Sure, all the new stuff this game adds definitely looks worth no more than 5 bucks.

Edit: Don't hate me, this was lazy sarcasm.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sure, all the new stuff this game adds definitely looks worth no more than 5 bucks.

All the physics stuff alone is worth it, then the quality of life upgrades with the drop system and KNIGHT RIDER INSPIRED TURBO JUMPS. So hyped for this game now, I hope online is in day 1 :)

Not to mention the super nice lighting they got going here, everything is lit beautifully

LogicStep

Haven't played the first two games much so this should be a good entry point for me. Looks great from what I saw in the trailer and this.

USC-fan

Banned
Ask yourself this: Why do you buy games within a franchise ? For some it might be graphical improvements, refined gameplay and such but for me it is a story. Since Just Cause 2 has superficial story then the only think that made me play it is for the gameplay. And since that is not going to change then I have no reason to get this game, so I came here to ask if there is anything that could convince me to get it and all I got were gifs and snarky remarks.

I did buy GTA 1 way back in the days and then San Andreas because they were very different from one another, since then I haven't bought any other GTA game, do you get my drift ?
lol wtf am I reading.

Those multiple choice things were just for the demo, right? Was the audience meant to pick one or something? I feel stupid just asking this.

BigDug13

Because the mod wasn't all that great. The best thing about it was the technical achievement and how well it was developped and stable for a thing that was deemed impossible and done by only 2-3 dudes. But aside from that, I spent maybe an hour or two in it and that's it, and I'm a huge fan of just cause.

The chaos and scale of it was a fun novelty, but it doesn't really let you express yourself as single player did, and it had a ton of things that would totally be a problem if they were part of a professional retail game, but that we gladly overlooked because it was just a free miraculed 2-person-team mod.

Yes maybe this allowed to see the "demand" for a JC multiplayer, but this didn't give a proper solution. I'm sure they'll get around to making JC multiplayer once they find a proper way to do it.

I just wish more companies would at least add 2 player co-op like FarCry recently did and like Crackdown did. They could add some sort of controlled co-op like Crackdown and not the crazy mess of the JC2 mod.

Those multiple choice things were just for the demo, right? Was the audience meant to pick one or something? I feel stupid just asking this.

I'm sure that was for the demo. Also the video seemed to be edited down, so I'm guessing this was a prerecorded demo of gameplay and the presenter can click different options to see a playback of that style of attack for demo purposes.

Yeah, it's just a stylistic thing for the video, not an actual part of gameplay. Same with those bits where the camera zooms way out to a cinematic angle. It's less a direct capture of gameplay and more of a long-form trailer.

It does look very very similar, albeit a lot more polished. The wingsuit is new, and that looks like it will be incredibly enjoyable, but it's not going to be some major revelation for anyone that's played the second game.

Bluforce

So, do we know what happen when you destroy a big bridge? It stay destroyed forever or magically spawn like new after a while?

BigDug13

So, do we know what happen when you destroy a big bridge? It stay destroyed forever or magically spawn like new after a while?

They mentioned that gas stations will basically respawn so I'm guessing bridges will too. There are bridges everywhere they said and it would probably be detrimental to overall gameplay to leave them broken forever.

jet1911

They mentioned that gas stations will basically respawn so I'm guessing bridges will too. There are bridges everywhere they said and it would probably be detrimental to overall gameplay to leave them broken forever.

They respawn, it was mentioned in one of the twitch stream.

xrnzaaas

Yep, it's still a day1 purchase for me. I really hope that it gets released this year so I'll have a chance to spend the entire winter holidays playing it. ;)

Lego Boss

It's not like this is a game to worry about spoilers. It's neat to see some of the new shit you will be able to pull off in your sandbox.

Couldn't resist, so hype!

It looks finished so why can't we have it NOW?!?!?

Just wondering, what are those pieces where there is an intermission with three options. Are these suggestions, or things you have to do as part of the mission structure?

Krakn3Dfx

Yeah, I don't think it is worth it to play $60 for "few subtle changes". No reason to stop playing Just Cause 2 though. Maybe once it goes on steam for like $5 then I will get it.

Just Cause 4 will be a pure espionage based kart racer, that's the one to wait for.

BigDug13

Couldn't resist, so hype!

It looks finished so why can't we have it NOW?!?!?

Just wondering, what are those pieces where there is an intermission with three options. Are these suggestions, or things you have to do as part of the mission structure?

I think that "gameplay demo" was all done at their studio and cut into a video with branching options for the presenter to choose to show. That's my guess anyway. Final game won't have that shit.

I present you Far Cry 4

After playing Co-Op in that I was DYING for something like that to be available for Just Cause.

It doesnt need to be GTA online with tons of people running around

I would settle for 2-4 players at this point

SomTervo

No problem, glad to help.

Oh yeah, the infinite C4 seems like a really important addition, too. In JC1 and 2 you were constantly struggling against running out of gear (if you were just messing in the open world).

But they've obviously realised this is just a meaningless road block in terms of player fun, so they've made C4 infinite supply.

It's basically a few small changes which should add up to a much more enjoyable, smooth experience.

I think if you want real changes you should probably look to Mad Max, which appears to be using Just Cause's model to really do something different with gameplay.

mboojigga

Some games I just don't need to see the videos after the first gameplay trailer was released. I already know it looks like a blast and can't wait to get wild with this game. Going to just avoid watching any videos and buy it day 1.

Top Bottom