• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 PC performance thread

Teeth

I don't. I don't consider it "well optimized" or "badly optimized" or anything in between. I simply don't have the information to make any informed judgement on that matter, and I doubt anyone else in this thread has.

"Optimization", as it's commonly used, is a matter of perception. The game could be doing cartwheels in the code, but if the result on screen is no better than a PS2 game visually and the performance is poor on high powered hardware, the perception is that it isn't optimized.

The screen could have cutting edge tech being displayed, but if it doesn't actually look better than something that takes less horsepower, it's unoptimized.

A 200k poly model that looks like a 2 million poly model is "optimized" better than a 2 million poly model that looks like a 2 million poly model.

No one is saying they can see the code. They are saying that the game sets a certain visual bar and it's not performing equivalently to other games that meet or exceed that bar (to them).

EDIT: not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's what optimized means to most people.

Unain

2500k @ stock
8 GB Ram
Geforce 770 GTX
On SSD.
Steam offline mode.

Everything on high, no AA, vsync off, 1080p, old drivers.
Seems to be hovering around 60 when not much going on, but drops to about 45 when it gets crazy with explosives.

Let's see if the new drivers help.

I have a 970, 8 gigs of RAM, and a i5-4570 at 3.20 GHz. Can anyone give me an educated guess on what my performance would be like? Obviously my GPU is pretty nice, Im just worried about my CPU.

Peterthumpa

I have a 970, 8 gigs of RAM, and a i5-4570 at 3.20 GHz. Can anyone give me an educated guess on what my performance would be like? Obviously my GPU is pretty nice, Im just worried about my CPU.
1080p with mostly everything on max but with framerate drops here and then on big explosions.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Accidentally posted my experience in the OT:

On my system I'm getting about a 30 second initial load and 5-10 second load after death:

i5 2.7 ghz
970 latest drivers
standard HDD
12 gig RAM

I externally locked it at 30 fps @1080p, and I get slight dips as low as 27 fps during heavy explosions. Otherwise it's a pretty rock-steady 30 fps.

Everything is at max settings except antialiasing,

Looks and runs really well here.

EDIT: It actually runs a lot better than Fallout 4 for me, which I run at an externally locked 30fps. Some areas in FO4 just kill my fps, I get a constant 20-25 in some of the bigger cities.

Peterthumpa

Accidentally posted my experience in the OT:

On my system I'm getting about a 30 second initial load and 5-10 second load after death:

i5 2.7 ghz
970 latest drivers
standard HDD
12 gig RAM

I externally locked it at 30 fps @1080p, and I get slight dips as low as 27 fps during heavy explosions. Otherwise it's a pretty rock-steady 30 fps.

Everything is at max settings except antialiasing,

Looks and runs really well here.

EDIT: It actually runs a lot better than Fallout 4 for me, which I run at an externally locked 30fps. Some areas in FO4 just kill my fps, I get a constant 20-25 in some of the bigger cities.
I think you could try 1440p with your rig when locking to 30 FPS. Framerate drops are bound to happen regardless of resolution due to heavy CPU usage anyway and I believe that you're bottlenecked by your i5 rather than by the GPU at that res.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I think you could try 1440p with your rig when locking to 30 FPS. Framerate drops are bound to happen regardless of resolution due to heavy CPU usage anyway and I believe that you're bottlenecked by your i5 rather by the GTX 970 at that res.

I'm playing on a 1080p TV, so I'm good in that respect.

23qwerty

I'm not trying to downplay the tech behind but if you ask to a 'normal' person, he can't understand how can be so expensive when it seems more ugly of other game. That's why I think tech failing here compared to the artistic choice.
hmm? it looks quite good, certainly would look quite good to a 'normal' person

This game is buggier than Fallout 4.

General and audio stuttering. Random flickery lighting bug. Updating my drivers might fix some of this.
Once following an alt-tab, the resolution turned funky and the mouse bugged out in menus, making me unable to get past one of the menu tutorials.
After I'd respawned for like the tenth time at the same location, the UI got locked at 3 stars and "searching". Seemed this state made it impossible to start challenges.
After completing a stunt jump, the bus I was in decided to vanish into thin air.
Fell through the world while doing some grappling in a tunnel, luckily it seems real easy to get back in this game, just grappled onto a floating sky rock.
It also tends to freeze when I quit. Somehow manages to steal focus from Task Manager. Thankfully alt-tabbing works.

Had to pause when I turned around and saw this.
FB2181A1245ADEDB22D2F775EEAF292979BBC2F7

FA9CB8B86438A9AD509AD8015984E712A53513BD

06D9F5BA2C869746A8595E723834B8AFCB156D96
Here's Fallout 4 btw.
7551F52E893CCB4D6188C48510F1AE017846807A
Truly this is the year of things standing on things.

Iorv3th

Your CPU should have turbo though and be able to go higher. My i7-2600 gets over 4ghz with the multipliers up. It's shown as 3.2 as well but turbo boosts it higher.

My specs:

MSI GTX 970 (overclocked)
i5 4590
16GB RAM

Using SSAA, motion blur off with all else maxed except for shadows and LOD.

I get 60fps 90% of the time, with a few drops during big explosions, and some inexplicable ones elsewhere..

Cleve

I feel like some folks are surprised by the lack of sli support. While it sucks completely, my dual gpu experience was that it's always been a crapshoot. Unless you're looking to push a specific experience to the extreme, it's just not a great or reliable value.

dr_rus

Sounds really interesting but how high are the chances of that being supported ? Seems like a lot of work for too much of a niche.

I don't think that we will see much D3D12 mGPU support in renderers beyond the stock UE/CE/Unity/(FB maybe?) ones and some experimental stuff like AotS. Which means that I think that the trend of SLI/CF being useless in new titles will continue and even accelerate in the future.

Does the game allow you to lock fps?

I always lock at 60fps because I have a 60hz monitor.

Also, I guess I'll let you guys know how my setup runs it.

My expectations are 1080p/45-60 fps.

My setup...
4690k cpu (not overclocked)
MSI GTX 970
8GB RAM

My system runs Shadows of Mordor and Star Citizen Social Module 1.3 to my liking.

I'll try this out.

omonimo

Banned
hmm? it looks quite good, certainly would look quite good to a 'normal' person
I haven't said it not looks good. Just not seems the spiritual Crysys 4 to justify more fps drops than The Witcher 3, from the perspective of an ignorant gamer.

UrbanRats

I'm definitely starting to have major frame drops Like in the single digits) when while liberating towns, you start to blow shit up.
Unfortunately it stays that way until i completely leave the area, whether the chaos is going on or not.

I hope these drivers improve performance a bit.

c0Zm1c

Isn't PC as a gaming platform bigger in Europe? Maybe it's because the Swedish team is an euro team, or maybe because Mad Max doesn't move nearly as much stuff.
Impossible to know without a proper analysis but Mad Max feels more consistent. There have been times in Just Cause 3 when things are quiet with not much happening on screen and I've seen the framerate dip mysteriously. I can be surrounded by cars, explosions and debris strewn everywhere in Mad Max and the framerate stays locked at 60fps (though that blistering SLI scaling certainly helps!) Granted, JC3 appears to be more advanced, in most respects, but then that's questionably part of the problem; it could be trying to do too much (certainly on the consoles with their weaker hardware).

mike6467

Just played the last 3 hours with minimal problems (the game crashed twice during the intro mission, had to use AMD's beta drivers, but all was well after that). Consistently sticking to 30 fps with the following system:

i7 3770k @ 3.5 GHz
16GB RAM
Gigabyte Radeon 7970 Ghz (3GB)

Huge explosions cause some drops to mid 20's, but I've got most of the settings turned up and am running at 1680x1050 and the whole thing has been perfectly playable.

I'd been thinking I'd return it on Steam and go with the PS4 version if the PC version wasn't satisfactory. It's no 60, but considering I built this rig almost 3 years ago, I'm pretty happy with it, still waiting for the game that'll make me upgrade, looks like it may be awhile.

Just tried playing again for ~1 hour with vsync off and in offline mode with the new drivers- solid 50-60FPS, even during some larger explosions. Next up, I'm going to try forcing NVIDIA 16x AF and adaptive vsync.

Yeah this happened to me too with an MSI 970 - for some reason the memory clock is dropping down to its P2 state in-game. I've had to adjust the memory P2 clock in Nvidia Inspector to match my normal memory clock.

Yep, happening on my GIGABYTE 970 as well.

dr_rus

Kezen

Banned
I don't think that we will see much D3D12 mGPU support in renderers beyond the stock UE/CE/Unity/(FB maybe?) ones and some experimental stuff like AotS. Which means that I think that the trend of SLI/CF being useless in new titles will continue and even accelerate in the future.

Unfortunate considering the possibilities that the new API opens up.

Anyway, pcgameshardware.de confirm the memory clocks drops down on Maxwell cards to 3305 or lower.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Just-Cause-3-Spiel-9784/Specials/Test-Benchmarks-1179397/

My specs:

MSI GTX 970 (overclocked)
i5 4590
16GB RAM

Using SSAA, motion blur off with all else maxed except for shadows and LOD.

I get 60fps 90% of the time, with a few drops during big explosions, and some inexplicable ones elsewhere..

Almost same system, sounds good.

Thanks.

Crisium

With the exception of anyone getting the graphic glitch there is nothing to complain about on the AMD performance side. Even at 1080 several AMD tiers have the advantage i.e. 380>960 and 280X > 770 while on the other hand the 970 barely squeaks by the 390 and only the Fury X really under performs and needs 1440 to stand out. There's fairly balanced performance at least for Maxwell and GCN, which is always nice to see.

dr_rus

Yeah, between the non-functioning AF (how can you mess this up in 2015?), the non support of SLI/CF and this:

xO0lTWi.jpg

Which is appearing each time I open the menu at the moment even if I'm in the "offline mode" this game will need a patch or two before it will be in a playable state on PC.

Yep I've had to keep GI off because of the flickering and I notice very little visual improvements with it on anyways, plus it keeps the framerate up a bit higher.

23qwerty

I haven't said it not looks good. Just not seems the spiritual Crysys 4 to justify more fps drops than The Witcher 3, from the perspective of an ignorant gamer.
most of the drops seem to be from cpu limits with the physics from what I can tell, witcher isn't exactly doing much physics wise compared to jc3

For AMD card users with missing textures:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Just-Cause-3-Spiel-9784/Specials/Test-Benchmarks-1179397/

(Translated):

When receiving the review version of just cause 3 Publisher Square-Enix informed us about problems that occur during the interaction of Just Cause 3 and Radeon graphics cards if the new Radeon software Crimson 15.11 is installed. We can acknowledge these problems: playing Just Cause 3 with this driver, the game world is like Swiss cheese, it lacks many polygons. AMD was also used in knowledge and PC games hardware on demand, confirmed that it was working on a solution: Radeon software Crimson 15.11.1. We start our benchmark session with this AMD driver.

GRaider81

Just had a hard crash which restarted my PC during the tethering tutorial. No big explosions at time and with latest drivers installed

Playing all maxed except shadows and at 1440p DSR.

980ti
16GB RAM
SSD
Win 10

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well the light flickering comes from the Global Illumination setting, so you can turn that off if it's bugging you, nets you a good 15+ FPS with it off as well.

RE4PRR

The load into the game itself took the piss, and that's running off Samsung m.2 ssd 2gb r/w.

But after that I've got everything maxed and always over 60fps.

i7-5820k
980TI stock cooler- OC 190mhz.

3440x1440.

This is all before the Nvidia game ready drivers lol.

Ramenman

General and audio stuttering. Random flickery lighting bug. Updating my drivers might fix some of this.
Once following an alt-tab, the resolution turned funky and the mouse bugged out in menus, making me unable to get past one of the menu tutorials.

I got both of those, first one ruins everything. And my drivers are updated.

Basically the game will suddenly start hanging for a few ms OR a few whole seconds, while the sound goes into dubstep-loop mode. When it's not stuttering, the game actually runs fine... wth.

Also, It has nothing to do with me blowing up shit. It can happen just while turning the camera on the spot, or moving around in wingsuit.

Or and when fight is triggered with a bunch of AI, it just loses its shit for a few seconds too. And seems to happen also when I enter a vehicle.

What the hell.
This clearly isn't up to Avalanche quality standards tech-wise, I know it was made by another team, but they need to step up their game quickly. Because hidden behind this crappy perf, i'm pretty sure a wonderful game is hiding...

Well the light flickering comes from the Global Illumination setting, so you can turn that off if it's bugging you, nets you a good 15+ FPS with it off as well.

Yeah that was the issue for flickering with me as well. I've lived with it, but I might turn it off altogether. Does it really affect IQ much?

x3sphere

The load into the game itself took the piss, and that's running off Samsung m.2 ssd 2gb r/w.

But after that I've got everything maxed and always over 60fps.

i7-5820k
980TI stock cooler- OC 190mhz.

3440x1440.

This is all before the Nvidia game ready drivers lol.

No idea how you're getting a constant 60 at 3440x1440

I have a 980 Ti and i7 5930K, had to turn shadows down to High and it still dips every now and then. My 980 Ti is OC'd too, running at 1400 MHz core.

brau

01justcausebug.jpg

“There are some known issues that occur with the most recent official release AMD/ATi graphics card drivers. We’re working with AMD to fix the issue via an upcoming official driver update – however to ensure you don’t experience these issues yourself right now please make sure you are using the latest beta driver available here (they are dated 11/30/2015 Version 15.11.1)”

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/01/just-cause-3-amd-drivers/

RE4PRR

No idea how you're getting a constant 60 at 3440x1440

I have a 980 Ti and i7 5930K, had to turn shadows down to High and it still dips every now and then. My 980 Ti is OC'd too, running at 1400 MHz core.

I haven't had much time on the game but so far it's been steady. I definitely checked my settings were maxed.

Except SMAA x2 though, I notice I only need that at x1 at this resolution. I'll check it all out later to confirm.

Top Bottom