• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 PC performance thread

mosdl

I wonder how much of these issues (SLI, etc) are related to the new Havok Destruction middleware - doesn't look like many games have used it.

Kezen

Banned
GTX 970 and the new 359.06 Driver
Oh, I was almost going to tell you before that information that you should grab the latest drivers for the game but as you have already done so I'm sorry to say I have no idea what you can do. :/

Definitely in need of patches right now. I have my copy but not installed yet.
Not expecting a smooth ride even with a 980.

Really shocked to see this game requiring the cream of the crop for steady frames. Obviously it's poor optimization but when the recommended specs run like crap you know something big went wrong.

I'd have jumped on this, would have been a great game for my new card and even though it would run it well I cat justify it at the price. This is one of my favorite franchises too.

dk_

I have a 970 and the game runs mostly fine except explosions. What's the best way to get rid of the framehit during these? Something I can change in the settings?

I think that's pretty normal v-sync behaviour. Try turning off v-sync and instead capping the global fps at 60 with rivatuner statistics server.

I've tried it with Riva and the screen tearing is horrendous. The weird thing is that yesterday I was just using in game vsync without a single issue, I was dipping into the 50's and the game wasn't locking it to 30. Very strange and annoying.

Serandur

I tried it a bit this morning on my G1 980 Ti and i7-6700K machine (16 GBs DDR4-3000). It was at 2560x1440 (60 Hz) with everything at their max settings except AA which I disabled entirely because post-process AA is blurry garbage. I do have a 512 GB 850 Evo SSD in my build, but I put Just Cause 3 on my HDD instead. Maybe that was a mistake because of load times.

Right off the bat, the MSI Afterburner overlay doesn't work with the game, so I'm never really sure how much it stresses my hardware at any given time. I do get 60 FPS constant until a bunch of explosions go off simultaneously and it drops sharply for a moment (could just be double-buffered Vsync doing what it does best; ruining fluidity and having no right to exist over triple-buffering). The explosion physics are beautiful and very detailed, but at the moment, I'm not sure whether my GPU, CPU, or Vsync are responsible for the FPS drop without the Afterburner overlay.

Several other issues: occasional texture flickering, one crash, annoying title screen and load times (including the map, which is always blurry for a couple seconds after I open it), and I'm getting reaaaally sick of worthless post-process AA only options. Also, while the explosions and physics are fantastic and the setting is pretty, general graphics quality is pretty mediocre imo. Especially textures.

I haven't updated drivers and don't think I will if they're locked behind GeForce Experience.

Other thoughts: The controls are kind of wonky; I miss being able to sprint like in Just Cause 2, I can't remap the cancel button away from ctrl, parachuting/grappling together feel awkward and not as fluid as in Just Cause 2, the grappling hook's range is a little short, and the game's button prompts don't seem to recognize remapped keys which is annoying. The game is fun though, if only because of sheer destruction and the wing suit (though it's a bit difficult to control).

Still, I find myself a little disappointed, but it was worth $25.

GTX 980, online, 8GB RAM, i7 3770k, Windows 10, not yet on the 359.06 driver.

Stuttering abound.
Begins at a nice 70fps, then stutters as you move through the world even on foot, causing audio glitches too.
Everything max.

Tried turning down Shadows, Antiostropic Filtering and Bokeh Depth of Field and no postive change to report.

Downloading the drivers now, will update when finished with any changes.

omonimo

Banned
I have a 970 and the game runs mostly fine except explosions. What's the best way to get rid of the framehit during these? Something I can change in the settings?
Explosions are a plague on console. So it seems this game it's quite demanding in such situations. Hope they patch it soon or later.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
GTX 980, online, 8GB RAM, i7 3770k, Windows 10, not yet on the 359.06 driver.

Stuttering abound.
Begins at a nice 70fps, then stutters as you move through the world even on foot, causing audio glitches too.
Everything max.

Tried turning down Shadows, Antiostropic Filtering and Bokeh Depth of Field and no postive change to report.

Downloading the drivers now, will update when finished with any changes.

I've heard a lot of people fixing their stuttering by playing in offline mode, give that a try if the drivers don't help.

Akronis

I can tell that this game is unoptimized.

While my PC can do 1080p 60fps maxed out most of the time, the game will drop frames in nearby explosions AND at times the system really shouldn't be taxed at all, such as during a mediocre cutscene with some characters.

At least I'm able to enjoy it but it seems already I am on the cusp of not being able to brute force poorly optimized games.

You have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes, so no you can't lol

The developers are the only people who know what is taxing people's computers during those supposed mundane scenes.

Kezen

Banned
My copy is still sealed, I will return it to the store and wait for patches and maybe even a price drop.

From the various reports out there it appears the game is not really "unoptimized" but performance could be improved especially on higher grade hardware.

I'll wait until then.

tuxfool

Banned
If I'm not mistaken the AotS solution is basically AFR on the renderer level which is kinda pointless even though it allows a user to mix GPUs from different vendors.

It is. However they said that they only implemented that as a first pass. They are then moving on to more complex solutions like SFR and explicit mGPU modes of dx12.

It should also be noted that renderer level AFR gives developers control on what to do with GPU data, such as passing relevant frame information between them.

curlycare

Hmm something throttles my gpu's memory clock while playing this. They only get to around 6000 mhz, when they should be at 7000 mhz. This is with Gtx 970 with the newest drivers. Need to investigate further.

Akronis

It is. However they said that they only implemented that as a first pass. They are then moving on to more complex solutions like SFR.

Isn't SFR older than AFR? I thought they moved it to primarily AFR as the performance scaling was much better.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Make sure to force 16xAF via the drivers. Seems to actually work, unlike the in-engine 16xAF.

Vuze

Make sure to force 16xAF via the drivers. Seems to actually work, unlike the in-engine 16xAF.
That might explain the utter shit textures I've just seen in the first 20mins lol.
Game feels and looks pretty bland... but supposedly you need a restart or sth for graphic settings to take effect? It certainly looked prettier in the screenshots I've seen before. idk, will check later eventually

tuxfool

Banned
Isn't SFR older than AFR? I thought they moved it to primarily AFR as the performance scaling was much better.

SFR as undestood by 3dfx is indeed older. They would interleave each scan line across Graphics cards. This is what SLi used to be.

SFR as is being considered today is litterally splitting the viewport into two halves (more maybe) and giving each gpu that section to render.

Akronis

SFR as undestood by 3dfx is indeed older. They would interleave each scan line across Graphics cards. This is what SLi used to be.

SFR as is being considered today is litterally splitting the viewport into two halves (more maybe) and giving each gpu that section to render.

That sounds absolutely nightmarish to get working correctly.

Profanity

Hmm something throttles my gpu's memory clock while playing this. They only get to around 6000 mhz, when they should be at 7000 mhz. This is with Gtx 970 with the newest drivers. Need to investigate further.

Yeah this happened to me too with an MSI 970 - for some reason the memory clock is dropping down to its P2 state in-game. I've had to adjust the memory P2 clock in Nvidia Inspector to match my normal memory clock.

tuxfool

Banned
That sounds absolutely nightmarish to get working correctly.

It has been done, with very good results. More importantly it is extremely useful for VR as SFR allows for much more consistent frame timing. It's disadvantages apart from complexity vis a vis AFR are that it isn't as immediately scalable because the scene will only be rendered as fast as the slowest GPU. Each of the GPU framebuffers also to be merged at the end, but there are clear advantages such that it is worth pursuing.

Kezen

Banned
Yeah this happened to me too with an MSI 970 - for some reason the memory clock is dropping down to its P2 state in-game. I've had to adjust the memory P2 clock in Nvidia Inspector to match my normal memory clock.

Could this be the driver's fault ? It should not throttle mem clocks.

Kezen

Banned
Not entirely sure, I think it's more the game's fault somehow, as it happened both with the 359.00 and 359.06. Other games work fine.

Avalanche have a lot of things to fix on all platforms, I hope they are aware of that.

I can see this game refunded a lot.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AF seems broken in this game, see here :
http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/just-cause-3/just-cause-3-anisotropic-level-interactive-comparison-001-16x-vs-8x.html
No difference between 8x and 16x and this does not even look like 8x to me.

Not the exact same spot, but yeah, driver forced 16xAF looks much better.

1oeuf5.jpg

abracadaver

Runs better than I expected after all the whining in this thread

i5 3550 (3.3Ghz)
Fury X (drivers from yesterday)
game installed on SSD

I play in 1440p with all settings on very high besides LOD (high) and bokeh and water tesselation are off. FXAA was used.

I get around 60fps most of the time, don't think it ever dropped below 50. This is only after the first 2 missions though. Will see how it holds up in the crazier missions.

I might play this game on my TV in 1080p as its singleplayer only and I play with the 360 pad. Should give another performance boost compared to 1440p.

Stitch

Gold Member
Yep tried reboot, verify game cache, re-downloaded but nothing seems to want to make it work

That's weird. Are there any overlays running in the brackground, like MSI Afterburner? Sometimes they seem to crash games right at the start.

But I don't seem to have any problems with Afterburner :/

Chris R

https://forums.justcause.com/discussion/326/pc-support

So glad to see more people than just me were getting the

Code:38
Result: 'Device Removed, Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG: Graphics device stopped responding. There might be an infinite loop in a GPU program.'

error.

Maybe this means they get to work on fixing it asap (and who fucking knows, maybe it's a memory leak or other bug somewhere than when fixed will bring huge performance gains?)

Not the exact same spot, but yeah, driver forced 16xAF looks much better.

Glad it's fixed easily by forcing it. There are some games where even forcing AF does not work... I'm only getting my hands on the game later today, I hope I can get 30 fixed fps on high settings with my 660ti.

Ugh, this is such a shitty port.

In offline mode, with the new drivers installed, there's no excuse for game hitting 27fps just from gliding through the air on a GTX 980.

Avalanche's B-Team have made it clear optimization isn't one of their strong suits.

That's weird. Are there any overlays running in the brackground, like MSI Afterburner? Sometimes they seem to crash games right at the start.

But I don't seem to have any problems with Afterburner :/

Nope, the only overlay that should run is the steam one if the game even opened :p

The game says it's running on steam (I have 75 minutes "playtime" but the game hasn't opened) and in task manager it's using my cpu and ram

I'll probably just wait a few patches, it's just a shame as this was one of the games I was most looking forward to this year :(

My game slows to a complete crawl (1 to 2 FPS) when I've completed a challange and get the "X unlocked" and "x gears to unlock" screens.

GPU usage plummets during this as well

This is on a 980 (2 in system, game only uses one) with the latest drivers (clean installed via DDU)

Jin

I don't get why each major game needs a driver. why does the driver need changing for a game, is that AMD/Nvidia doing optimisation work the developer should do? Does a new driver contain all the tweaks for all the old games that prompted drivers? Ugh So confusing.

Here's a good long read from someone who use to intern at Nvida. In short, most AAA games are shipped broken and graphic vendors release game ready drivers to fix it.

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/666419-what-are-your-opinions-on-dx12vulkanmantle/#entry5215019

Top Bottom