• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 PC performance thread

This game is just flat out unplayable right now. Setting everything to low yet still getting freezes even with the new drivers. I'm just gonna wait for some patches.

This is so disappointing.

dr_rus

SFR as undestood by 3dfx is indeed older. They would interleave each scan line across Graphics cards. This is what SLi used to be.

SFR as is being considered today is litterally splitting the viewport into two halves (more maybe) and giving each gpu that section to render.

3dfx's SFR was using stripes on VSA-100 as well so it's not that different from how today's SFR operations.

D3D12's SFR however is a different beast altogether as it may actually allow a videocard to work on something which is just a part of the final framebuffer composition - and I don't mean a part like a half or a stripe but more like a postprocessing filter or some intermediate calculations which is used by the second GPU to build the final frame. So this SFR is something new indeed.

Kezen

Banned
3dfx's SFR was using stripes on VSA-100 as well so it's not that different from how today's SFR operations.

D3D12's SFR however is a different beast altogether as it may actually allow a videocard to work on something which is just a part of the final framebuffer composition - and I don't mean a part like a half or a stripe but more like a postprocessing filter or some intermediate calculations which is used by the second GPU to build the final frame. So this SFR is something new indeed.

Sounds really interesting but how high are the chances of that being supported ? Seems like a lot of work for too much of a niche.

NotLiquid

Funnily enough I was always under the impression that it was the Swedish branch of Avalanche that worked on JC3 as opposed to the NY one. Oh well.

Maybe since Sweden got off of Mad Max earlier in the year, they might be able to assist NY with the optimization of JC3. They both got off of their projects at a fairly similar time frame so maybe they have enough post-work in them to co-ordinate some efforts.

Qwell

Well unfortunately my 7950 is just kind of limping along with the game, but at least its playable. Did a mild OC to 1025 and turned down a lot of options, but still playing it at 1080p with around 45fps with a fair amount of dipping and some stutter. It will work until I build my new rig in a few months and hopefully they release a few patches for the game. Still a lot of fun to play, the potential is definitely there.

Durante

I know you have a rep for knowing your stuff, but despite me being a relative unknown, I, in fact, can.
So I assume you have run the game through a profiler? Care to share a flat profile with us? What would you consider the most "unoptimized" parts and how would you go about optimizing them?

Don't be coy now.

Corpekata

Banned
The extreme long intro load time for this game really puts me off playing the game. The series is not something I'm likely to spend a ton of time at once playing, it's a pick up and play for half an hour thing to me, and having to sit through that long intro really pulls the wind out of my sails.

Qassim

Haven't had any freezing or stuttering yet, game is performing well for me so far (70fps+, but everything on max except AA, which I'm now going to put on max). Haven't read through the whole thread, but the game seems to use *a lot* of RAM. Are people's stutters related to that?

hDiES6d.png

NCPy4Oe.png

The extreme long intro load time for this game really puts me off playing the game. The series is not something I'm likely to spend a ton of time at once playing, it's a pick up and play for half an hour thing to me, and having to sit through that long intro really pulls the wind out of my sails.
The fact that you still need to sit through a loading screen *after* sitting through whatever the hell that video is doing is extremely annoying.

tuxfool

Banned
more like a postprocessing filter or some intermediate calculations which is used by the second GPU to build the final frame. So this SFR is something new indeed.

First I've heard of this in the context of SFR, but in theory the mGPU modes of DX12 should allow some very unusual implementations. I wouldn't really consider this split frame rendering though, rather something like split workload rendering would be more accurate.

Maddanth

Avalanche Sweden > Avalanche New York?
This has no SLI support? Sorry I'm not good with computers really but I'm assuming that means my 2 sli 970 are not being used? Only 1 is? Sorry if this is a stupid question , I recently just got into PC gaming and had someone build my rig so I'm still learning. Any insight is appreciated.

curlycare

Yeah this happened to me too with an MSI 970 - for some reason the memory clock is dropping down to its P2 state in-game. I've had to adjust the memory P2 clock in Nvidia Inspector to match my normal memory clock.
Pcgameshardware.de seem to have noticed the same. Interestingly it only affects Maxwell chips.

Durante

This has no SLI support? Sorry I'm not good with computers really but I'm assuming that means my 2 sli 970 are not being used? Only 1 is? Sorry if this is a stupid question , I recently just got into PC gaming and had someone build my rig so I'm still learning. Any insight is appreciated.
If you just recently got into PC gaming you should have listened to what I always repeat in the "I need a new PC" thread and not gone for a multi-GPU setup.

It's not really great for anyone IMHO (just the only option if you really think you need faster-than-fastest-single-GPU performance), and it's a particularly bad idea for newcomers to the platform. PC gaming is really simple and accommodating, these days, but multi-GPU compatibility often isn't.

In any way, what it means is that (at this point) the game will only use one of your two GPUs.

Denzar

Well shit. Any solutions for the double buffering problem? Seeing your game bounce between 60 and 30 FPS is driving me insane.

Enabling triple buffering in the Nvidia control panel still results in screen tearing.

Specs:
GTX 970
i7 @3.4
10 GB RAM

Maddanth

If you just recently got into PC gaming you should have listened to what I always repeat in the "I need a new PC" thread and not gone for a multi-GPU setup.

It's not really great for anyone IMHO (just the only option if you really think you need faster-than-fastest-single-GPU performance), and it's a particularly bad idea for newcomers to the platform. PC gaming is really simple and accommodating, these days, but multi-GPU compatibility often isn't.

In any way, what it means is that (at this point) the game will only use one of your two GPUs.

Unfortunately, that's what I thought it meant. I'm also fairly new to Gaf as well. The guy who built my PC suggested it. Damn, really wish I would of known this. Spent a good amount of money on my rig. Thanks for the reply.

MaLDo

Well shit. Any solutions for the double buffering problem? Seeing your game bounce between 60 and 30 FPS is driving me insane.

Enabling triple buffering in the Nvidia control panel still results in screen tearing.

Specs:
GTX 970
i7 @3.4
10 GB RAM

Try Alt+TAB twice.

Mechazawa

Specs:
GTX 970
i7 @3.4
10 GB RAM

IIRC, Triple Buffering(in the control panel) is only for OpenGL games.

As far as I know, your only real solutions would be adaptive vsync, playing Windowed or forcing borderless fullscreen through another application.

Piggus

The engine is incompatible with all multi-GPU solutions, so no SLI support at this time.

Welp, looks like I'll be waiting for the inevitable $5 Steam sale in a couple years. That's pretty damn lame considering how amazing the SLI/Crossfire support was in JC2.

Deasnutz

Banned

In this type of situation, I like to have my console (separate tv/monitor) running something in the background to play around with, while things load. I'm a very impatient person.

omonimo

Banned
So I assume you have run the game through a profiler? Care to share a flat profile with us? What would you consider the most "unoptimized" parts and how would you go about optimizing them?

Don't be coy now.
Sorry how could be considered well optimized? This game struggle in rig where other games with the same setting offer a quite more stable fps. I have mind The Witcher 3 or the same Mad Max. I suspect there are tons of havok stuff avoidable, completely useless there. I take for example the ps4 version. When there are many explosion on the screen, it slowdown like to 10 fps for a very long time. Unfortunately I'm unable to link it from my phone. That's absurd see such stuff.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
My pair of 2GB 670s served me well, but multi-GPU support is such a hit-or-miss affair these days that I don't see myself going that route again unless things improve significantly.

I love the idea of SLI, but after having 460's SLI'd for a few years, I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't worth it. It's a crapshoot if a game will support it and it sucks when a game you want to play with a higher fidelity doesn't. I've since switched to whatever the best single card I can afford to at the time.

Kezen

Banned

It means only one of your GPU will run the game.

Runs nicely. But constant 30 fps, doesn't seem to go above that, I guess vsync is dropping to 30 fps if I get below 60 fps. All high-very high settings, shadows to medium, Bokeh off, no AA and 1080p.

PC Specs:

AMD Phenom II 1055T
MSI R9 280 GAMING 3 GB DDR5 (latest AMD Beta driver)
Corsair 8 GB 1600 Mhz

Skii

Wanted to get this game just to relax to in my spare time but looks like it's going to cause me more stress. Will probably pick this up when stuff gets fixed :/

Kezen

Banned
Sorry how could be considered well optimized? This game struggle in rig where other games with the same setting offer a quite more stable fps.
There is no logical connection between different games' settings. Does not mean Just Cause 3 is "unoptimized".

I have mind The Witcher 3 or the same Mad Max. I suspect there are tons of havok stuff avoidable, completely useless there. I take for example the ps4 version. When there are many explosion on the screen, it slowdown like to 10 fps for a very long time. Unfortunately I'm unable to link it from my phone. That's absurd see such stuff.
10fps is hyperbole, it drops below 30fps sure.

There are definitely render issues (flickering, texture corruptions, various bugs) that need to be addressed but performance wise I would not make outrageous claims.
For the record the possibility of performance improvements does not necessarily equate to X game being "unoptimized", most definitely one of the most overused term on gaming boards.
If we were to trust random forumers be them PC or console gamers then we would get the picture that AAA developpers working on technologically rich games crudely lack competence and that the hardware is never the culprit.

Sorry, I have a very hard time buying that.

Durante

Sorry how could be considered well optimized?
I don't. I don't consider it "well optimized" or "badly optimized" or anything in between. I simply don't have the information to make any informed judgement on that matter, and I doubt anyone else in this thread has.

Akronis

Sorry how could be considered well optimized? This game struggle in rig where other games with the same setting offer a quite more stable fps. I have mind The Witcher 3 or the same Mad Max. I suspect there are tons of havok stuff avoidable, completely useless there. I take for example the ps4 version. When there are many explosion on the screen, it slowdown like to 10 fps for a very long time. Unfortunately I'm unable to link it from my phone. That's absurd see such stuff.

Just because a game doesn't perform well on today's hardware doesn't mean it's unoptimized...

Consoles have shitty APUs.

No one has any insight into what is taxing the hardware so much.

bee

wow seems like many people got serious performance issues with the game, unlucky :(

runs great for me personally, 3570k, 16gb, titan x, gsync, 359.00 drivers (screw updating) running 4k max settings except, aniso@16xhqaf in driver with edge fade, motion blur and ssr all disabled and aa down to smaa

no hitches, no long loads after deaths, usually around 50fps and very very rarely drops under 40fps, explosions don't seem to drop the fps too much (not experienced the biggest explosions yet though) only issue i have is the initial load is quite long

great game, really enjoying the wing suit, new rico sucks though

Denzar

Try Alt+TAB twice.

Alt tabbing did not work. Only game it works with is GTA V for some reason. Thanks either way!

IIRC, Triple Buffering(in the control panel) is only for OpenGL games.

As far as I know, your only real solutions would be adaptive vsync, playing Windowed or forcing borderless fullscreen through another application.

Okay. I'll try the adaptive V-sync when I get back to this game. Hope they patch in triple buffering by that time.

I'm still balls deep into Fallout 4, so I'll just keep on trucking in that game. Thanks to you too!

Khasim

3570k @4.3, MSI 970 4GB, 8 gigs of RAM, Win10.

Playing on very high except:

Bokeh off
FXAA
Motion blur off
Vsync off (adaptive in nVidia control panel trend on)

Since I can't get MSI Afterburner's OSD to show up in this game for the life of mine (steam overlay is off, no other stuff like that running in the background, played around with viewport/framebuffer OSD and still nothing) I can't tell for sure, but it seems that the game is running very smoothly. 60 fps almost all the time, exceptions where I notice the drops are:

Gas station explosions viewed from up close (drops to around 45 for a sec or two)
Discovering a new city/base (slight hiccup)
A LOT of explosions going around. I'm talking about 3-4 exploding tanks at once.

Running the newest drivers.

It's possible that having Afterburner turned off makes me not notice frame drops, but I do not see any screen tearing at all except during the mentioned moments, so to me that's satisfactory, and I'm really sensitive to tearing.

I hope there is an nVidia or another guide in the works showing differences in the different settings, so that I know what to reduce next to get locked 60.

Some technical hiccups aside, I'm having a blast with this game.

If I get more serious frame drops I'll just set everything to max with some downsampling and lock to 30. I'm enjoying myself way too much to care about such minor (IMO) issues.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

You have it on an SSD?

It's not that bad for me at all. Way shorter than GTAV.

Corpekata

Banned
You have it on an SSD?

It's not that bad for me at all. Way shorter than GTAV.

Yep. It's not much better on SSD. Granted a lot of the time seems to be dedicated to the online login /intro stuff so it I'm not sure if it even helps. After the login the actual loading screens didn't seem to be that much different speed wise from when I had it on HDD.

omonimo

Banned
I don't. I don't consider it "well optimized" or "badly optimized" or anything in between. I simply don't have the information to make any informed judgement on that matter, and I doubt anyone else in this thread has.
I don't me too. But I suppose unstable fps it's a good indicator. I'm not a great fan of expensive tech if the price it's the fps smoothness.

Kezen

Banned
I don't me too. But I suppose unstable fps it's a good indicator. I'm not a great fan of expensive tech if the price it's the fps smoothness.
But nothing ever is free in the field of real-time graphics. There will always be a "price" and performance can be lower if more effects come into play, that's only to be expected.

By the same token I do not see how "unstable" framerate is a sign of unoptimized code. Visuals do come at a cost you know that.

Hip Hop

Didn't try to run it unlocked, just went straigt to locking it to 30FPS with the Riva Tuner. It stays there for the most part, but it does dip below sometimes when in populated areas or explosions, but it's playable. I'd assume it's better than console performance at least.

Have it on Max settings, with Bokeh off and AA to FXAA at 1080p. No Vsync.

Windows 8.1
GTX 670
i5 3570k (not overclocked)
8gb ram

omonimo

Banned
But nothing ever is free in the field of real-time graphics. There will always be a "price" and performance can be lower if more effects come into play, that's only to be expected.

By the same token I do not see how "unstable" framerate is a sign of unoptimized code. Visuals do come at a cost you know that.
I don't say the game it's not a beauty in some moment but the explosions not seem that crazy stuff to drops the fps so much.

Kezen

Banned
The problem I have personally with this game, is how much expensive could be considered the tech stuff, to my eyes don't catch me so much. I don't say the game it's not a beauty in some moment but the explosions not seems that crazy stuff to drops the fps so much.

There is more than meets our eyes. We do not have detailed data about how the explosions are rendered, but they sure do look beautiful.

They have to, because in this game we are going to blow a lot of stuff up.
Off topic but I don't see this game having much longevity, the base concept is extremely fun but too thin on the ground I'm afraid. Happy I got it for 30€ (physical).

OmegaX06

If I were you i'd sell those two cards immediately and get a 980 ti. Multi-GPU setups are just a nightmare.

Annemunition has Twitch streamed over 15 hours of this game in the last 3 days. Her rig is running it with the only hiccup being borderless windows.

I can't access Twitch from work so i can't post her specs.

Crisium

Getting very playable frame rates on my 1440p Freesync setup. Usually uppers 50s through mid 70s, most commonly at 58-63 or so. High explosive action brings it into the 40s.

i7 5820k @ 4.4GHz
Fury
16GB DDR4

FXAA and all maxed out except LOD at High and Bokeh Off. FYI I have the Global AMD Driver set for maximum Tessellation at 8X, as always.

Minor bug? If I alt-tab it caps my framerate at 60fps unless I change the resolution to something else and then back to 1440. Annoying.

omonimo

Banned
There is more than meets our eyes. We do not have detailed data about how the explosions are rendered, but they sure do look beautiful.

They have to, because in this game we are going to blow a lot of stuff up.
Off topic but I don't see this game having much longevity, the base concept is extremely fun but too thin on the ground I'm afraid. Happy I got it for 30€ (physical).
I'm not trying to downplay the tech behind but if you ask to a 'normal' person, he can't understand how can be so expensive when it seems more ugly of other game. That's why I think tech failing here compared to the artistic choice.

Top Bottom