• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just finished the Last of Us 2 and..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrS

Banned
tenor.gif

Game is 11/10, comfortably the best this gen and Sony don't miss!

Last edited:

Vick

What an awful take, you have no taste man.

Here, 3 hours of objective and smart analysis:

Biggest disappointment of my life, personally. Such a shame to see all the colossal work the team did on the game (which outside of narrative i think is a masterpiece) wasted because of just one person and his weird ideas.

Last edited:

cyber_ninja

I feel her arsenal of weapons shit on what Elle had. Although that Silenced MP5 at the end is awesome.

I loved Ellie's weapons better. Those explosive arrows were something else. When I was cleaning up some collectibles for the platinum I used gameplay modifiers with unlimited ammo and it was so much fun running around and blowing shit up.

It is an amazing game, easily a masterpiece even... But I still think that the game would have been better if you skipped the Abby part... Then again a lot of the hate feels like a knee jerk reaction to an opposing political view (which I don't agree with, but I see no honor in judging art products based on this alone).

Esca

I didn't like the second half of the game but I can recognize that it is a very good game still.
But I'm glad it got knocked out of the gotg awards early

junguler

Banned
"Abby is the best screw the haters", can you explain why she's the best? what is it about her that's so good? i'm interested to know your take because i haven't seen anything good about her (except laura bailey's performance)

Iced Arcade

I went in thinking I was going to hate her and the game after reading the spoilers and leaks.

Ended up being team Abby by the end of the game I understood why she did what she did and agreed. Game of a generation

Last edited:

Vick

Preach mfker PREACH

Before I played the game all the negative reactions from a certain crowd made me hesitant. But after playing it, all I can do is laugh at how bitch made all of the complainers look like now.
I envy you so much. On the other hand, my intellect prevented me from accepting the amateur hour writing, by this person mind you:

iJ5FXIw.jpg

If in TLOU Druckmann had the freedom he had in this game, the game would have never been elected game of the decade.
For sure, i would have never said it was my favourite game ever.

TLOU2 just proved Naughty Dog need this man, hard.

Bruce_Straley_PAX_Prime_2014.jpg

And Christophe Balestra as well, while we're at it.

Ozzie666

The game makes you question Ellie and her righteousness, she doesn't come off well at all. A DLC with Abby, rebuilding her into former glory or something in between would be interesting. People can hate the character, but I definitely found myself cheering for Abby at the end, even with all the bad things she did.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
What a game and seriously Abby is the best screw the haters.
Nah, only good character left is Lev and maybe the baby. The rest are trash. Loved the game but ended up hating Abby and Ellie.

She straight up starts murdering her neighbors and friends she had been living with for years over some kids she met 5 seconds ago. Plus she is blinded by selfishness and stubbornness. Just dumb.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I agree, OP. It's a great game; it's not a joyous game, but it's cathartic and compelling. As for Abby, apart from her moment of psychopathic rage, she's actually quite likeable; she's headstrong, compassionate, and softly spoken.

Papacheeks

Banned
I loved Ellie's weapons better. Those explosive arrows were something else. When I was cleaning up some collectibles for the platinum I used gameplay modifiers with unlimited ammo and it was so much fun running around and blowing shit up.

Yea, the explosions with Elle's arrows on human enemies was startling in how graphic they blew up into chunks. Best thing though is the rifle all the way maxed out, shooting out someones leg and watching them scream as it blew off and they bleed out. It startled the shit out of me as I slowed the camera down.

There's too much blur when your running around and gunning. When you keep elle or abby still and pan the camera you can actually see the gore better.

THEAP99

Banned
What an awful take, you have no taste man.

Here, 3 hours of objective and smart analysis:

Biggest disappointment of my life, personally. Such a shame to see all the colossal work the team did on the game (which outside of narrative i think is a masterpiece) wasted because of just one person and his weird ideas.

that guy has a lisp and talks like he got his wisdom teeth taken out

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What a game and seriously Abby is the best screw the haters.

This game was the only next gen game i played on old gen consoles..
nothing comes close to the story telling and animation.
I forgot i was playing a game completely.

It's the reason i got a ps5
because i know at the end of the day.. I would not want to miss out on sony exclusives.

Enzo88

It`s a pretty good game, visually stunning and mechanically strong, however:

1) Pacing is all over the place.
2) The game is too long for its own good, there are not enough ideas and level design/enemy variety/weapon variety are not good enough to sustain a 25 plus hours game.
3) I had an hard time buying in some characters decisions, immersion was broken at least in a couple of instances.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
I Got your back, OP.
Incredible game. 10/10 I’d be down for a game with literally just her. Or is it him?

Herim

Vick

that guy has a lisp and talks like he got his wisdom teeth taken out
Yeah, whatever.
Still smarter than the man in charge of the sequel to the most awarded game ever.

From a true masterpiece to You are my people...

What a fucking disgrace.

THEAP99

Banned
Yeah, whatever.
Still smarter than the man in charge of the sequel to the most awarded game ever.

From a true masterpiece to You are my people...

What a fucking disgrace.
Actually, the witcher 3 is the most awarded game ever. And tlou2 is a masterful game

Thirty7ven

Banned
I envy you so much. On the other hand, my intellect prevented me from accepting the amateur hour writing, by this person mind you:

iJ5FXIw.jpg

If in TLOU Druckmann had the freedom he had in this game, the game would have never been elected game of the decade.
For sure, i would have never said it was my favourite game ever.

TLOU2 just proved Naughty Dog need this man, hard.

Bruce_Straley_PAX_Prime_2014.jpg

And Christophe Balestra as well, while we're at it.

First of all, TLOU is not the game of the decade. I love it, but, hell no. The story is fun, but extremely predictable and linear, very cliche and lacking in any sort of originality or any surprises aside from the

TLOU2 is a better game for starters, gameplay wise, and this is not open for debate. The story has surprises, twists and turns, true character development that parallel the themes in fresher ways. The characters relationship with the world and the player is more complex, the journey much more emotional and conflicting.

I completely reject your characterization of the writer, and I am certain you have 0 authority as a writer to even speak on these things the way you do. It’s absolutely the opposite, with the sequel being a much higher feat of fiction writing than the original.

And it’s only normal for multiple drafts to happen.

I don’t envy you one bit, and I’m glad Druckman had a bit more belief in the audience than doing a by the numbers sequel to the first. I don’t know what you wanted from the sequel, but I get the feeling it would have been another cliche marathon. Ambition won. Art was made.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I hear people always say gameplay is what is important but it seems like that goes out the window for TLOU2 considering it's so hated just because people don't like the story 'direction'.

People just jumped on the bandwagon about hating this game. You can still like the game without liking how the story went like I had.

In my opinion TLOU2 gameplay is a lot better than the first, but I enjoyed TLOU's story way more.
TLOU2 has a pacing problem to me... the game is too long, the constant change in perspective just didn't work for me. I don't know, I just think they were too ambitious, and the game could've been so much better if the story was a little more "straight forward".

Here's the ideal TLOU2 for me, the one that I would like to have played.
Don't read if you haven't played the game. Massive fanfic ahead so be warned lol

- First of all, Naughty Dog announces TLOU2 and at first glance it has nothing to do with Ellie and Joel's Story... their story is over and TLOU2 will be about a new character in the same world (hint: Joel and Ellie are there but they don't tell us that)
- We begin playing as Abby from the start. She is looking for revenge against the man who killed her family... but she doesn't know his name or where he's at. So we have to track him down and kill him.
- We get to know her and her friends better. We see the life through her eyes, the nightmares, the anger, the PTSD hallucinations. We learn more and more about the killing of her family as the game progresses. I think it would be a lot easier for the player create empathy towards Abby this way, so we understand better her motivation to kill.
- I think the part with Lev and the Seraphites is good, I would not change it. It's important to show that Abby is not a monster... she's just looking for justice.
- Abby loses a lot of her friends along the way.
- We eventually track the man down and it is revealed to us that it's Joel. Abby confronts him, and we get to fight him and Ellie at the same time.
- Joel shoots Abby, and as she dies, she mentions the hospital and 'his daughter'.
- Ellie now realizes that Joel lied to her about the events in the hospital... she can't forgive him and decides to leave.
- Despite dying, Abby's revenge is completed... she didn't take Joel's life, but his reason to live (Ellie).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You can still like the game without liking how the story went like I had.
Because its heavy story game and most game's pace is tied to its story, it hard for someone enjoy the game if the story is just not working for them and this is true with most heavy story driven game.

Last edited:

Madflavor

You ever notice that when you have a controversial film or game, whenever someone titles a thread "I just watched/finished *blank* and..." it's almost always the case that they loved it? As soon as you see that title you immediately know. I also can't help but get douche chills whenever I see the "and..." part. Like oooh you're keeping me in such suspense random guy. I HAVE to click and find out what you thought.

timmyp53

You ever notice that when you have a controversial film or game, whenever someone titles a thread "I just watched/finished *blank* and..." it's almost always the case that they loved it? As soon as you see that title you immediately know. I also can't help but get douche chills whenever I see the "and..." part. Like oooh you're keeping me in such suspense random guy. I HAVE to click and find out what you thought.
To be fair, it got you here.

Justin9mm

Because its heavy story game and most game's pace is tied to its story, it hard for someone enjoy the game if the story is just not working for them and this is true with most heavy story driven game.
But in this instance it was simply not the case.

Joel died and how he died was not great at all. But the story was good for the most part. It was original and well written. I'm sorry but people just could not get past that fact and are just blinded. Either that or they were just pissed about an SJW agenda that wasn't really there!

Last edited:

Vick

First of all, TLOU is not the game of the decade. I love it, but, hell no.

TLOU2 is a better game for starters, gameplay wise, and this is not open for debate.
What's not debatable is shooting being unquestionably better in the first one, and the more input lag in the second.
But yeah, for the rest, gameplay wise TLOU2 is obviously better (and amazing, actually).

The story has surprises, twists and turns, true character development that parallel the themes in fresher ways. The characters relationship with the world and the player is more complex, the journey much more emotional and conflicting.
Bullshit. All of it. I'm not saying it in an antagonizing way, just take the time and watch that video i posted. You'll realize how wrong you are.

I completely reject your characterization of the writer,
What does that even mean?
I've been the biggest supporter of Druckmann since i downloaded Eye of Indra on PSN and watched the Uncharted 2 Making Of. And i gave him the benefit of the doubt until the credits rolled.. TLOU2 is nothing more than a wet fart compared to what the previous one achieved.

It’s absolutely the opposite, with the sequel being a much higher feat of fiction writing than the original.
tenor.gif

I don’t envy you one bit, and I’m glad Druckman had a bit more belief in the audience than doing a by the numbers sequel to the first. I don’t know what you wanted from the sequel, but I get the feeling it would have been another cliche marathon. Ambition won. Art was made.
Glad you and Druckmann share the same ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom