• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a Switch

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely recommend BotW. It'll keep you busy for a long, long time. Also I highly recommend the Pro Controller. It's pricey, but worth it.

The Xenoblade games get a lot of praise. AC is good, but it gets repetitive. Get an SD card and load up on the indie scene. Hollow Knight, Ori, Celeste...the list goes on. It may be worth it to double dip on your PC collection if you want to play any of these on the go. These titles frequently go on sale. Rayman Legends has good local co-op and might be up your alley with your wife. Smash, if you don't want a wife anymore.

Yeah I might have a look at the pro controller - these joycons are tiny (or maybe my hands are too big) - I reckon the wife's tiny hands will give her an advantage in battle. Might dig out my 8bitdo M30 (the Mega Drive/Genesis one) out to see if that evens things up a bit (no analog but who needs that?).

Polygonal_Sprite Polygonal_Sprite I have to agree NOLA_Gaffer NOLA_Gaffer posted an absolutely awesome post there - the link to the discount site is excellent and saved me a few quid.

StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige I just ordered Odyssey - the other two will undoubtedly end up on my buy list later but I want to start with a small collection and build from there, and try to avoid my PC backlog mistakes by then buying 1 game at a time and properly savouring it, especially at these prices!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I have concluded that the joy cons are indeed too damn small. Found a decent knock off pro controller on amazon so the wife can use that and I’ll have the pair of joycons, or the other way around. My hands are too big.

Grabbed a digital New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe Can The Name Get Any Longer from cdkeys.com - it’s MUCH easier than the old games which ate murdering me!

Does the selection of SNES and NES games change or is it constant?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Amazon is the way

Not for sensible prices. I picked mine up for £320 which works out at £280 for the console and £40 for the game, basically RRP, while on Amazon without a game it's at least £350. Ebay is ridiculous as is facebook market place - people are selling 2nd-hand machines for £400.

Mozza

You have to get Animal Crossing new horizons, this game is very addictive, and full of Nintendo charm.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
My boys have Switch Lites and I've pretty much never been able to find deals on Switch games outside of Nintendo.com sales and Black Friday deals. My boys are both full digital and we've pretty much settled on going through the official website and using the Gold Coins for the 5% kickback. I will say you should occasionally check out the Switch store by lowest price. Sometimes you can get cool little quirky games on the cheap. As for a game recommendation, buy Streets of Rage 4. Sure it's on PC, but it's a perfect fit for Switch on-the-go gameplay.

Congrats!

Theres definitely the mainstream games that everyone will post

Breath of the Wild
Smash Brothers
Mario Party (great for two players or more when gaming with non-gamers)
Links Awakening
Mario Maker 2

Get Tetris 99 its free to download.

Theres also a ton of insanely entertaining indie games, which I wasn't always about but they're so much fun to play you will lose hours without noticing.

Golf Story
West of Loathing
Stardew Valley
Bad North
Death Road to Canada (possibly the greatest co-op indie game, think Organ Trail the spoof to Oregon Trail, co-op zombie killing with custom 16-bit era avatars of you and your wife)

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
My boys have Switch Lites and I've pretty much never been able to find deals on Switch games outside of Nintendo.com sales and Black Friday deals. My boys are both full digital and we've pretty much settled on going through the official website and using the Gold Coins for the 5% kickback. I will say you should occasionally check out the Switch store by lowest price. Sometimes you can get cool little quirky games on the cheap. As for a game recommendation, buy Streets of Rage 4. Sure it's on PC, but it's a perfect fit for Switch on-the-go gameplay.

Re Streets Of Rage 4 - I was somewhat put off by the art style tbh but I have heard good things about it. I'll have to see if they put a demo out (on a side-note it's pleasing to see that demos are a thing on Switch). I'm more inclined to go physical rather than digital but then I'm also the guy who buys stuff on GOG where possible - software preservation is a thing I care about, and of course it saves some hassle with getting storage.

CloudStrife_ca CloudStrife_ca Had a look at Tetris 99 and it seems to be some kind of mobile-type thing in terms of having to pay to unlock bits etc, have I missed something? I have West Of Loathing and Stardew Valley on PC - the former was good fun but the latter didn't really excite me (which makes me suspect Animal Crossing might not either though the wife might enjoy it so it may still be a worthwhile purchase). Not seen the others though so I'll go take a look on youtube.

So far I've picked up:
- Pokemon Shield (came with it - physical)
- Mario Odyssey (physical - arrived this morning - got cheap on shopto)
- Mario Kart 8 (physical)
- New Super Mario Brothers U Deluxe (digital - testing the water with that - want to see how ownership works and whether my wife's profile will work on it)
- Tetris 99
- Some demos

I'm probably going to work through Pokemon (had a play with that last night and it was pretty cool) and the Mario platformers before I buy any more, likely it'll be Zelda and Mario Maker next, before I start to delve into the less obvious titles.

What's Dark Souls like on the Switch? Any good? I have the PC version but it may be a better fit on console in some ways.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Not for sensible prices. I picked mine up for £320 which works out at £280 for the console and £40 for the game, basically RRP, while on Amazon without a game it's at least £350. Ebay is ridiculous as is facebook market place - people are selling 2nd-hand machines for £400.

Where did you find this deal

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Where did you find this deal

https://stockinformer.co.uk/ I had it set up with an audio alert on a pinned tab on my laptop - had it on for a few days and heard it ping (I work on that machine) and bought off very.co.uk immediately. It was sold out within minutes as it always is.

Note that you really do have to get it done within 10 minutes whenever it goes off. Looking at the history on there (they keep logs) they do literally run out in 10 minutes. If you're outside the UK there may be similar sites but I don't know enough about it.

ROMhack

I skimmed the thread so forgive me if I missed but what kinds of games do you like? There's a good number of Switch but naturally everyone's got their preferences.

Greedings

This thread reminds me of the dry patch the switch is going through. Haven’t bought a game for it in ages.
Is there anything to look forward to soon?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Luigi's Mansion definitely looks interesting, and yeah I think I'll have to get Odyssey and BOTW.

To give a bit of background, I'm a 40-year-old nerd - the games that made me include:
ST/Amiga
- Sim City
- Player Manager
- Nebulus
- Damocles
- Midwinter 2
- Goal
- F-19 Stealth Fighter
- Mad Professor Mariarti (see my avatar)
- Powermonger (Bullfrog's other game between Populus 1 and 2)
- Mega Lo Mania
- Supercars 2
- Microprose F1 GP

Later when I got a PC I was all about Championship Manager but then it got too much like work. Loved the Lucasarts adventures and enjoyed Telltale's riff on that era before they got boring. GTA was always a good time, I loved Gunpoint, Braid and Super Meat Boy. Minecraft had me up for hours. Sonic All Stars Transformed is a work of genius. Technobabylon is a brilliant adventure. Theme Park and Theme Hospital were amazing back in the day. Stronghold 1 is fantastic. Spelunky is a brilliant bastard. Recent highlights for me have been Kingdom Come Deliverance, iRacing, Disco Elysium, Dark Souls and Sekiro (I'm shit at both but love them), Bayonetta, Yakuza, KOTOR 1 and 2 (played for the first time last year), Nier Automata is fantastic. I guess my tastes are eclectic but I'd like to expand my horizons, try new things.

I remember Astral Chain looking good in previews - did that turn out any good?
I skimmed the thread so forgive me if I missed but what kinds of games do you like? There's a good number of Switch but naturally everyone's got their preferences.

I only quoted because I'm lazy.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
This thread reminds me of the dry patch the switch is going through. Haven’t bought a game for it in ages.
Is there anything to look forward to soon?

Sorry it's Eurogamer but it seems reasonably legit and it's probably good to reward non-politicised articles with clicks.

ROMhack

I only quoted because I'm lazy.

No problem.

See then, I think maybe the Switch's biggest appeal would be its handheld capability. There's games like Civ V and FM 2020 Touch that are available on PC but it's a bit different if you're able to play them in the living room or whatever. More relaxed.

You mentioning some point and clicks (Technobabylon is great, I agree) makes me think you might get some mileage out of Thimbleweed Park and Grim Fandango. I'd also really recommend a puzzle-platformer like Celeste as it's just a blast. Maybe Return of the Obra Dinn too.

I'm not sure really beyond that. I have a hard time recommending Switch games as I'm not really into the exclusives myself, I just like being able to play them in bed (and also switching up when I want a bigger screen). I don't think there's any absolute must haves except the obvious ones people have mentioned: Breath of the Wild, Link's Awakening, Weegee's Mansion 3.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
No problem.

See then, I think maybe the Switch's biggest appeal would be its handheld capability. There's games like Civ V and FM 2020 Touch that are available on PC but it's a bit different if you're able to play them in the living room or whatever. More relaxed.

You mentioning some point and clicks (Technobabylon is great, I agree) makes me think you might get some mileage out of Thimbleweed Park and Grim Fandango. I'd also really recommend a puzzle-platformer like Celeste as it's just a blast. Maybe Return of the Obra Dinn too.

I'm not sure really beyond that. I have a hard time recommending Switch games as I'm not really into the exclusives myself, I just like being able to play them in bed (and also switching up when I want a bigger screen). I don't think there's any absolute must haves except the obvious ones people have mentioned: Breath of the Wild, Link's Awakening, Weegee's Mansion 3.

I played the hell out of Thimbleweed on the PC - fantastic game, forgot to mention that one. Grim Fandango is in my gog collection and isn't bad, though I did get a bit stuck part-way through, I should probably go back to it at some point and walkthrough the tricky bit to get to the meat.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I use www.cdkeys.com for some Switch games, they are £5-20 off eShop price and you can also buy eShop credit for a bit cheaper than the actual value of the credit. This is in the UK, I'm not sure about other countries.

I picked up New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe there - was pretty pleased with the deal I got.

Kuranghi

I have concluded that the joy cons are indeed too damn small. Found a decent knock off pro controller on amazon so the wife can use that and I’ll have the pair of joycons, or the other way around. My hands are too big.

Get the Mayflash Magic-NS wireless controller adapter, they keep updating it to support more and more controllers and features [Can use DS4s gyro on Switch now!] and it works with basically anything. Only downside is one controller per adapter but you can put multiple in a hub if you need to. I use it to allow P2 to use a DS4 with my Switch while I use a pro controller, so I never have to use the joy-cons. You can buy two for £40 and use existing controllers and not have to spend £70 on a Switch Pro controller. Make sure you read the updated instructions on the product page (http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/MAGIC-NS.html), its insane how many new features they've added since launch.

Magic-NS on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079B5KHWQ/

There is also this which looks to be a newer one that works with PS4 as well but I don't know if thats any use to you and I've no experience of it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081V8G1YX/

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Get the Mayflash Magic-NS wireless controller adapter, they keep updating it to support more and more controllers and features [Can use DS4s gyro on Switch now!] and it works with basically anything. Only downside is one controller per adapter but you can put multiple in a hub if you need to. I use it to allow P2 to use a DS4 with my Switch while I use a pro controller, so I never have to use the joy-cons. You can buy two for £40 and use existing controllers and not have to spend £70 on a Switch Pro controller. Make sure you read the updated instructions on the product page (http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/MAGIC-NS.html), its insane how many new features they've added since launch.

Magic-NS on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079B5KHWQ/

There is also this which looks to be a newer one that works with PS4 as well but I don't know if thats any use to you and I've no experience of it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081V8G1YX/

Actually I ended up ordering https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082CSSZYV/ - it looks pretty decent. I don't have any wireless controllers other than the 8bitdo m30 (MegaDrive/SNES) which I'll be using for the SNES/NES games - I game on a laptop and do my sim-racing on a big desktop rig with wheel, pedals, triples and VR so not much call for wireless in any of those cases, so getting a controller for the switch is not too big an ordeal.

ROMhack

Actually I ended up ordering https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082CSSZYV/ - it looks pretty decent. I don't have any wireless controllers other than the 8bitdo m30 (MegaDrive/SNES) which I'll be using for the SNES/NES games - I game on a laptop and do my sim-racing on a big desktop rig with wheel, pedals, triples and VR so not much call for wireless in any of those cases, so getting a controller for the switch is not too big an ordeal.

Does look good, might have to pick one up myself.

Re Streets Of Rage 4 - I was somewhat put off by the art style tbh but I have heard good things about it. I'll have to see if they put a demo out (on a side-note it's pleasing to see that demos are a thing on Switch). I'm more inclined to go physical rather than digital but then I'm also the guy who buys stuff on GOG where possible - software preservation is a thing I care about, and of course it saves some hassle with getting storage.

CloudStrife_ca CloudStrife_ca Had a look at Tetris 99 and it seems to be some kind of mobile-type thing in terms of having to pay to unlock bits etc, have I missed something? I have West Of Loathing and Stardew Valley on PC - the former was good fun but the latter didn't really excite me (which makes me suspect Animal Crossing might not either though the wife might enjoy it so it may still be a worthwhile purchase). Not seen the others though so I'll go take a look on youtube.

So far I've picked up:
- Pokemon Shield (came with it - physical)
- Mario Odyssey (physical - arrived this morning - got cheap on shopto)
- Mario Kart 8 (physical)
- New Super Mario Brothers U Deluxe (digital - testing the water with that - want to see how ownership works and whether my wife's profile will work on it)
- Tetris 99
- Some demos

I'm probably going to work through Pokemon (had a play with that last night and it was pretty cool) and the Mario platformers before I buy any more, likely it'll be Zelda and Mario Maker next, before I start to delve into the less obvious titles.

What's Dark Souls like on the Switch? Any good? I have the PC version but it may be a better fit on console in some ways.

There is the big block dlc I think it was called. That unlocks offline Tetris against CPU bots, marathon mode. The base game though of playing against others is free. You'll earn in game tickets by completing daily challenges and playing in special timed events to unlock new themes, the old school Gameboy theme is my fav.

I ended up buying a physical copy of the game because it also came with a year subscription for the Switch online service. I think it was like $29.99 CAD. To clarify though, the free experience of this game is the meat and potatoes so to speak and you're not forced to micro transaction to win.

I don't have Animal Crossing so I couldn't really say but my nieces and nephew keep insisting I check it out.

I've heard Dark Souls is pretty decent on the Switch for a portable version you take with you, I don't own that either haha

Kamina

Golden Boy
Okay, so, if you own a Switch:
Buy Zelda Breath of the Wild
Buy any game with Mario in the name
Buy Pokemon Games
Buy Zelda Links Awakening
Buy Okami HD

Did I mention you should buy Zelda?
Buy Zelda!

D.Final

Banned
Okay, so, if you own a Switch:
Buy any game with Mario in the name
Buy Pokemon Games
Buy Zelda Links Awakening
Buy Okami HD

Did I mention you should buy Zelda?
Buy Zelda!

This, this, and This

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Does look good, might have to pick one up myself.

It just turned up this afternoon. Took about 5 minutes to set up (basically hold the H button for 5 seconds to turn it on then on the switch go to the controller order screen and it'll pick it up). Build quality feels pretty good, buttons and sticks feel very simlar to my xbox controller. The D-pad is perhaps the only thing I'm a little unsure of - the feedback is ok but not as good as for the buttons. Overall the official one would have to be really bloody good to be worth double the price.

PocoJoe

Banned
w500.png

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is always my #1 recommend on the Switch. Great little strategy game that's absolutely dripping with charm. Currently $20 at Target and Best Buy if you're in the US. Don't pay full MSRP for it if you're a digital customer, as it's regularly on sale (as are most Ubisoft titles.)

Also, use DekuDeals to find the best deals on your games:

I suggest this too. I got switch 2-3 years ago and still think that this is in the top 3 of switch games.

Partly because there is still only 5-10 good games on switch, but mostly because it is great game (maybe too easy, but otherwise good).

Others I liked have been Zelda breath of the wild and xenoblade 2.

I dont like mario kart, but that crash bandicoot racer were ok.

Mario odyssey I really really disliked, most boring and deperssing game in years, whatever the reviews say.

Luigis mansio on semi ok.

Thats about it, and yeah Lego city is kind of cool and have coop too.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up Streets Of Rage 4 - it’s a bit fucking good. Didn’t expect much but it’s fantastic.

PocoJoe PocoJoe Surprised you don’t like Mario Kart - I’m having a blast with it Sven it my wife does keep beating me (I destroy her on IRacing though so it’s ok).

Perhaps you’re just a bit more jaded than me (I presume you’ve been playing Nintendo consoles a bit longer than me, perhaps it’s getting old for you) - I’m having fun with Odyssey, think I prefer new super Mario bros u but it’s still a good time.

Currently pretty pleased with my purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:

D.Final

Banned
I suggest this too. I got switch 2-3 years ago and still think that this is in the top 3 of switch games.

Partly because there is still only 5-10 good games on switch, but mostly because it is great game (maybe too easy, but otherwise good).

Others I liked have been Zelda breath of the wild and xenoblade 2.

I dont like mario kart, but that crash bandicoot racer were ok.

Mario odyssey I really really disliked, most boring and deperssing game in years, whatever the reviews say.

Luigis mansio on semi ok.

Thats about it, and yeah Lego city is kind of cool and have coop too.

Also Lego City is pretty enjoyable

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Just ordered BOTW (https://www.shopto.net/en/swze00-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-p62328/ - physical and a decent chunk off RRP). Really having a lot of fun with the Switch so far, Odyssey is bloody brilliant, as is Super mario bro u deluxe longname addsomethinghere premium super-platinum. The surprise for me has been enjoying Pokemon, it came with the Switch and I'd not have bought it otherwise but I knew I could make the cost back selling it if I hated it. Streets Of Rage 4 is ridiculous fun. Oddly I'd say Mario Kart is the one that's getting least attention. Picked up Mother Russia Bleeds on a freebie with my points and it's ok - the brutality is cool but I'm not sure yet.

Top Bottom