• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got an LG OLED and Crushed Blacks are a problem.

Purchased a beautiful 55” LG B9 OLED yesterday. Crushed blacks are a serious problem so far. Playing “Clean House” in Modern Warfare and there’s like absolutely, zero, nada, shadow detail in any of the dark scenes. Have to use night vision to see anything at all. It’s a dark mission naturally in the game, but it’s not supposed to be THAT dark to the point where your gun just floats in blackness. Everything is just SUPER dark. Blacks are crushed to hell. super underexposed. No detail in the dark areas.
How come no one mentions this at all when hyping up OLED? Played around with picture settings all night and the results are the same. Is this just how OLED is and something I have to get used to, or do I have to get this thing professionally calibrated?
Here’s a good video to visually describe what I’m seeing.

Sorry, OP, try again

Without knowing the OLED's black level setting or the gamma, that video means jack shit.

I have a hard time believing the difference between those two displays would be remotely close to what he's displaying if he took more than 2 minutes to try and match the settings between the two

TaySan

Banned
Make sure you have blacks set to low and either rgb or ycb to limited. I had that same issue on my C9 and that fixed it.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I actually sympathize and one thing I noticed is that you cannot set the PS4 to Auto. It works much better if you go with Limited on the PS4 and HDMI Black level to Low on the TV.

Also, this is a biggie, don't go so much by the in game black bar sliders as they seem to be made with LEDs in mind. I find that I have to set mine quite a bit higher than the "barely visible" setting to get the image I want.

holygeesus

Banned
I actually sympathize and one thing I noticed is that you cannot set the PS4 to Auto. It works much better if you go with Limited on the PS4 and HDMI Black level to Low on the TV.

Also, this is a biggie, don't go so much by the in game black bar sliders as they seem to be made with LEDs in mind. I find that I have to set mine quite a bit higher than the "barely visible" setting to get the image I want.

Auto setting on the PS4 Pro has been broken forever, at least with LG sets.

haxan7

Banned
Represent. Represent. did you ever fix the crushed blacks problem? I'm taking delivery of a C2 in a couple days and I'm trying to work out the best settings to minimize it.

Ulysses 31

If you’re on either xbox series or ps5 make sure the RGB level is set to automatic and not Full. Full RGB will darken the picture and allow for black crush.
Automatic can be either full or limited. If it's working corrected auto will match what the source is.

Whitecrow

Banned
Oh dear. Let's see.
Crushed blacks is a result of settings missmatch. The console is outputting a complete RGB range (0-255), but the TV is expecting limited (16-235), hence, all values from 0 to 16 will be black (and from 235 to 255 white)

TVs work best on limited, but that's not to say that IT ABSOLUTELY NEEDS limited.

I dont know about XBOX, but PS5 auto = full RGB.

Put your console on Complete/ Full RGB, your TV in console mode and black level high, and sharpness not exceeding 10.
I'd avoid PC mode, it gives you full 444 chroma, but does a bad job on color / gamma accuracy.

And before someone comes with the 'full RGB looks the same than limited'. No, it doesnt. It looks similar, but not the same.

Top Bottom