• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got an LG OLED and Crushed Blacks are a problem.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Purchased a beautiful 55” LG B9 OLED yesterday. Crushed blacks are a serious problem so far. Playing “Clean House” in Modern Warfare and there’s like absolutely, zero, nada, shadow detail in any of the dark scenes. Have to use night vision to see anything at all. It’s a dark mission naturally in the game, but it’s not supposed to be THAT dark to the point where your gun just floats in blackness. Everything is just SUPER dark. Blacks are crushed to hell. super underexposed. No detail in the dark areas.
How come no one mentions this at all when hyping up OLED? Played around with picture settings all night and the results are the same. Is this just how OLED is and something I have to get used to, or do I have to get this thing professionally calibrated?
Here’s a good video to visually describe what I’m seeing.

DonF

are you playing on ps4 or xbox?
check you videos setting on the console, look if you have extended or...the other, try those and see if it works better.

this settings on ps4

on xbox, I've heard the bone is prone to black crush, i don't know more info since i don't own one.

Last edited:

Represent.

Will try the settings on PS4 tonight, hoping that’s it. It’s so dark I was tempted to sell and get a q80 😩

Armorian

Banned
Try this image, if you cant see all squares your hdmi black level is wrong on ps4 or tv

blacktest.png

chinoXL

has to be your settings. i've got a C8 and she's dead sexy. i followed some calibration settings to set my tv up

Represent.

Never blame your knowledge about settings and calibration as it's always the hardwares fault.... Am I right! 😅
I mean that’s why I made a thread asking 🙄
I will try the settings on my PS4, then run the Rtings settings again from scratch.
But even when I put the shit on anything but vivid, it’s yellow as fuck, fuck this lol

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I mean that’s why I made a thread asking 🙄
I will try the settings on my PS4, then run the Rtings settings again from scratch.
But even when I put the shit on anything but vivid, it’s yellow as fuck, fuck this lol

Are you playing HDR?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
To save you on some headaches, Black Level set on Low on the TV and RGB mode set to Limited on the PS4 which works for both HDR and SDR modes.

HDMI Black Level Low on LG TV’s should be paired with PS4’s Limited RGB setting and the LG TV’s Black Level High should be paired with PS4’s Full RGB setting (or Auto). The problem with Blu-Ray and some other video content is that they are not designed for the full 0-255 range and you will have the console emitting Limited RGB signal (RGB colors range of 16-235).
If you can be bothered to always be switching, taking movies and HDR games into account (Black Level Low and RGB limited for those is the only setting that works for games as they operate in YUV mode on HDMI 2.0b) and ensure TV and PS4 are always in the best settings pair, then enjoy the RGB Full - Black Level High for your non-HDR games. The difference is not immense and it is a far cry from HDR anyways and games are picking it up quite rapidly now.

See: https://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/

Both TV and PS4 support 0-255 range for RGB colors, so you could set the PS4 to Full / Auto (which PS4 will treat as RGB Full when playing non-HDR(SDR) contento, as Limited YUV when playing HDR 4K@60Hz content like games, as limited YUV when playing regular Blu-Ray content).

Reallink

From past experience the Black Level "Auto" settings most TV's and devices usually default to don't work and can result in a mismatch. Always set it manually.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Xbox one x has one of the best calibration tool.
It simple and accurate.
Anyway you need to take your time adjusting your tv to your liking.

dotnotbot

Its inherent to the OLED technology, like burn-in.

You can't do anything to fix it. Im sure you have banding too because it's another problem with oled.

For a long time it's not, dithering is used to show near-black details. There are also advanced manual settings that allow you to tune greyscale by yourself.

Shmunter

Keep us posted. Optimistic it’s a black level setting mismatch. Want to buy OLED eventually when 75” becomes realistic in price.

CesarNsnake

Neo Member
Learn to set up the TV before criticizing all the technology! its most likely your fault as undefeteable black crush is nearly impossible on modern displays!

dotnotbot

This ^, I would understand if OP had trouble seeing first ~2 squares on that black level test pattern, but if it's so bad that he can't see anything in dark scenes then either the source is fucked up or his settings.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
LOL.. Are you trolling.. LG has some of the best panels out there.. The OLED LG C9 in particular is regarded as the gold standard of a good OLED Panel.
The E9’s and Sony get the better panels. At this point LG is the only standard for a consumer purchasable OLED displays since they are still the only ones that make them (until at least all the companies that newly announced they were going to develop OLED get to market)

Justin9mm

Keep us posted. Optimistic it’s a black level setting mismatch. Want to buy OLED eventually when 75” becomes realistic in price.
I'm waiting on the same thing. We had a deal here in Australia for the LG 65" C9 OLED $3,050.00 AUD. But the next size up which is 77" is $8,450.00 like wtf! Over double the price for an extra 12 inches!

I currently have a 70" Samsung 4K and I'm already like 75" or bust for my next TV! Can't go down to 65

bronk

Banned
Problem 1 you bought an LG.

Problem 2 is you bought an oled.

If you aren't spending a decent chunk of change on a Samsung or a Sony then you're buying an inferior product with a poor performing panel.
Best troll I've seen in awhile.

Rbk_3

You need to get some hours on the TV or run a manual pixel refresh cycle. This is 1000% your problem and once doing that it will be fine.

This was my C9 out of the box on 10% grey

VUxfjSK.jpg

This is what it looked like after doing a manual pixel refresh cycle

wR0CDZT.jpg

This was 5% black out of the box. I could see no light coming from the TV.
9025b62074eb9d8f3668512c35dad217.jpg

This is 5% black after the manual refresh
TuQPpl0.jpg

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
A Pixel refresh out of the box is a MUST. I ran two, overkill.

Even calibrated there is *some* minor black crush, mostly in fine details of hair or say a screen door in a dark movie scene.

I have a 7 series, which was supposed to be better than the 6 series but not as good as the newer 9s as far as crush goes.

Once again, do your pixel refresh and report back please. The TV will turn off then after a long wait of appearing to be turned off the screen does this thing that looks like a scanner scan bed and it’s done.

Are pixel refreshes only good on LG OLED TVs?

S0ULZB0URNE

Purchased a beautiful 55” LG B9 OLED yesterday. Crushed blacks are a serious problem so far. Playing “Clean House” in Modern Warfare and there’s like absolutely, zero, nada, shadow detail in any of the dark scenes. Have to use night vision to see anything at all. It’s a dark mission naturally in the game, but it’s not supposed to be THAT dark to the point where your gun just floats in blackness. Everything is just SUPER dark. Blacks are crushed to hell. super underexposed. No detail in the dark areas.
How come no one mentions this at all when hyping up OLED? Played around with picture settings all night and the results are the same. Is this just how OLED is and something I have to get used to, or do I have to get this thing professionally calibrated?
Here’s a good video to visually describe what I’m seeing.

I talked about this very thing in this thread.

holygeesus

Banned

I talked about this very thing in this thread.

Congratulations. You've now been completely wrong in two separate threads.

holygeesus

Banned

No, no, you are right. All the glowing reviews for these TVs and their inclusion in 'best TVs for gaming' lists are all because said publications have been bought off by LG and the other OLED manufacturers. I mean, someone wouldn't be dumb enough to select the wrong setting on their game console, or perhaps be lazy enough to not do at least the very minimum in the way of calibrating the image on their new TV, instead choosing to throw their hands up and proclaim it broken, and the entire technology as flawed.

Hmmm.

Top Bottom