• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got laid off, any Internet work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twofold

Sign up and write articles for textbroker.com. You'll make $7.50 for every 500 word article that you write. When I used to write articles, it would take me, on average, 18 minutes to write a single article. Pretty easy money.

Also, go visit the wahm.com forums. It's actually got a lot of really great info on it.

Retro

So I was working at a Chinese mining company as translator, today I got laid off, so I was thinking while I look for another work, is there any work I could do online?

I want to earn around $300 per month

Any help?

World of Warcraft Gold Farmer sounds about right.

Darren870

This is actually legit. Signed up for it and passed the first exam. Test is tougher than I thought, but it's decent money for the amount of work required, and can be done at literally any time that fits within your schedule.

And how much do you get?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Sorry for not seeing this thread again earlier:

I work for Crowdsource. They will nitpick you to death if you don't follow their style guide, but I have made over 4000 dollars working for them alone in the past year and a half. Most of that time I didn't even work at all (sometimes months at a time). Even when I do work, I usually only write 2 hours a night at most. I make over 20 bucks/hour and it is all typically approved and paid within 3 days.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I think the OP just went and sold a kidney or something since he has not responded to this thread.

Xanathus

Since no one has asked, assuming you're in China and can speak or write Mandarin and English at least semi-fluently, why aren't you going to work with one of the many translation companies there?
edit: whoops looks like I mixed up posters there, for some reason I thought the guy who has his IRL face as his avatar was the OP because everyone was talking to him

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
OK nice option, but I will have to pick the ones without UA residence required, does crowdsource accept people outside the us?

pubba

Very interesting thread. You could start gambling? There are some good horse racing tipsters on twitter age Facebook. I made some decent money gambling last year. Set a 'bank' and just outlay 2% on each bet. Stick to 2 or 3 bets each day.

I'm also interested in the more international work from home options out there. I could live in natural Thailand very comfortably on $300-$400 USD a month

You could also try online English tuition. I met a guy in Australia that makes serious $$ doing that and he didn't even finish high school. He just bought a cheap suit jacket, a big pot plant and a decent web cam.

stilgar

For 300$ a month, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) should be a good choice. I did that as a student for 1 year and half.
It's boring and repetitive, but you can do it when/where you want, whether you're drunk, baked, angry, thinking about life, death... and it pays correctly for the amount of time you've got to spend.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
For 300$ a month, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) should be a good choice. I did that as a student for 1 year and half.
It's boring and repetitive, but you can do it when/where you want, whether you're drunk, baked, angry, thinking about life, death... and it pays correctly for the amount of time you've got to spend.

Any Site to apply for it?

Flek

Banned

tell me more - how / where did you do this?

I'm currently employed but some of these options are interesting to keep note of if I'm ever laid off. $200-$400 could be a decent addition to EI.

stilgar

tell me more - how / where did you do this?

As I said, it was in France, but I guess it's the same job everywhere.

These companies sell to business a better placement on Google result with what they call "natural SEO".
In order to be more pleasing for the Google robots, the sites of these companies will be filled with little texts, sometimes even complete dictionnaries, relative to their activities.
Some other times, you've got to make it more "marketing-oriented", with a lighter tone.

An example of what I had to do : create some texts for an online estate agency, where I had to define this :

building
building business
pavilion
house
business district
recreation center
warehouse
local

...and hundreds of others .

Basically, you write 5,6 sentences that you fill with keywords (usually some other word on the list).

Each text is paid, 4, 5 €. Sometimes more.

In order to do this, you can use an online interface, as easy to use as word.

Funny thing : "natural seo" is, in a lot of cases, bullshit. The tools we worked with made precise reports about the companies we helped and their competitors.
Because google robots are more clever than this. But this, it was a good little job.

pubba

Thanks to the person that recommended the wahm.com forum

There's a whole section on there about teaching online and I think if I plan it properly it might create enough income to live on. The salary is kinda low ($8.50 - $10 an hour) but my dream is to do it and live in rural Thailand where you can live comfortably on $5 or less a day.

I'm heading over in early March so ill set up a new thread chronicling my experiences if anyone is interested.

wanders

There's a whole section on there about teaching online and I think if I plan it properly it might create enough income to live on. The salary is kinda low ($8.50 - $10 an hour) but my dream is to do it and live in rural Thailand where you can live comfortably on $5 or less a day.

I'm heading over in early March so ill set up a new thread chronicling my experiences if anyone is interested.

I'm interested!

twofold

Whereabouts in Thailand? If you haven't decided on a place, I recommend Chiang Mai. You can easily live on $500 a month there. I spent about 6 months there and loved it.

I stayed at the View Doi Mansion. Really amazing for only 5,000THB per month ($165/£102/123euros).

04.jpg

http://www.viewdoimansion.com/04.html

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Sign up and write articles for textbroker.com. You'll make $7.50 for every 500 word article that you write. When I used to write articles, it would take me, on average, 18 minutes to write a single article. Pretty easy money.

Also, go visit the wahm.com forums. It's actually got a lot of really great info on it.

Excellent thread. Excellent post. Thank you so much for the recommendation. I'm signing up to Textbroker now. Could you possibly elaborate a little more on Textbroker? Have you used the site for example? I have a substantial amount of time on my hands and I'm a writer. This would be perfect for me. Apparently they need a writing sample so I'm trying to choose my best work to send them. I'll post here and let you all know how it goes. I guess I could be the test person for this if no-one else has used the service.

It could be awesome though so thanks again.

twofold

Excellent thread. Excellent post. Thank you so much for the recommendation. I'm signing up to Textbroker now. Could you possibly elaborate a little more on Textbroker? Have you used the site for example? I have a substantial amount of time on my hands and I'm a writer. This would be perfect for me. Apparently they need a writing sample so I'm trying to choose my best work to send them. I'll post here and let you all know how it goes. I guess I could be the test person for this if no-one else has used the service.

It could be awesome though so thanks again.

Just write, man. You'll probably get level 4 where you'll earn $7.50 for every 500 word article you write. Don't worry about writing something 'perfect'. It just has to be 'good enough'.

And yeah, I've written for Textbroker UK from time to time. I've written somewhere in the region of 400-500 articles for them. It's super easy money.

Sounds interesting - I just signed up for this and wrote the writing sample. I could use the practice, and if I get paid at the same time that would be some motivation.

Can you pick from a list of assignments, or do they just give you something random?

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Just write, man. You'll probably get level 4 where you'll earn $7.50 for every 500 word article you write. Don't worry about writing something 'perfect'. It just has to be 'good enough'.

And yeah, I've written for Textbroker UK from time to time. I've written somewhere in the region of 400-500 articles for them. It's super easy money.

Thanks for the advice man. I just went through the sign-up process and also just finished the writing sample. I'm a trained screenwriter so writing a stunning sample was quite easy to pull off. I hope they rate it highly. I got a message saying they usually rate the samples and respond within the space of a week. I would prefer if they were faster than this but at least the initial screening process is complete. I shall wait to hear from them.

This could honestly be perfect though. I should be able to pull off 500-word articles in 20 minutes or less. You have some good advice there. Don't focus too much on editing towards perfection. That is probably where most of my writing time goes so writing something that is just "good enough" should cut that down sharply. This would be great if there's a regular flow of assignments and decent payments. I'm not expecting mega-money here but if I'm able to earn maybe $100 or $200 a month I would be happy.

I'll keep posting here and let you guys know how this goes. Just waiting for that email now.

twofold

Sounds interesting - I just signed up for this and wrote the writing sample. I could use the practice, and if I get paid at the same time that would be some motivation.

Can you pick from a list of assignments, or do they just give you something random?

They give you a list of assignments to choose from. Some will be easier than others. I usually stick to the easy ones that I already know stuff about. It's sometimes fun to write about completely random subjects, though!

Thanks for the advice man. I just went through the sign-up process and also just finished the writing sample. I'm a trained screenwriter so writing a stunning sample was quite easy to pull off. I hope they rate it highly. I got a message saying they usually rate the samples and respond within the space of a week. I would prefer if they were faster than this but at least the initial screening process is complete. I shall wait to hear from them.

This could honestly be perfect though. I should be able to pull off 500-word articles in 20 minutes or less. You have some good advice there. Don't focus too much on editing towards perfection. That is probably where most of my writing time goes so writing something that is just "good enough" should cut that down sharply. This would be great if there's a regular flow of assignments and decent payments. I'm not expecting mega-money here but if I'm able to earn maybe $100 or $200 a month I would be happy.

I'll keep posting here and let you guys know how this goes. Just waiting for that email now.

Oh yeah, you'll easily be able to make $100-$200 a month. Even if you only write one article a day, that's still $225 at the end of the month.

Judging by your post, you'll easily get a level 4 placement. If they like your writing, they'll bump you up to level 5 after a bit. If you impress some of the people requesting work, they'll send you some private requests at higher rates, too.

Best of luck, man!

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I love this thread especially since I'm looking to make some extra money on the side. I'm definitely going to research all of these options.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
They give you a list of assignments to choose from. Some will be easier than others. I usually stick to the easy ones that I already know stuff about. It's sometimes fun to write about completely random subjects, though!

Oh yeah, you'll easily be able to make $100-$200 a month. Even if you only write one article a day, that's still $225 at the end of the month.

Judging by your post, you'll easily get a level 4 placement. If they like your writing, they'll bump you up to level 5 after a bit. If you impress some of the people requesting work, they'll send you some private requests at higher rates, too.

Best of luck, man!
Any advice for the writing example?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
How do you also afford food? Even at $500/mo, that leaves you less than $20/day for food.

?
$20/day is a lot to be spending on food for one person.

aku:jiki

I love this thread especially since I'm looking to make some extra money on the side. I'm definitely going to research all of these options.
Same here, I registered for anything posted that allows europeans and plan to check them out tomorrow.

For other euros wondering, only oDesk and Freelancer (posted as vWorker in the thread) seem to not mention anything about having to live in a specific country in the ToS. Textbroker says it's only for the UK but allows you to pick any EU country when you register so I guess we'll see.

Freelancer has some bullshit where you have to pay membership fees to have a shot at making real money, though, so...fuck that.

twofold

Any advice for the writing example?

Stick to a simple formula.

Introductory paragraph

<b>Subhead</b>

Info about subhead

<b>Subhead 2</b>

Info about subhead

<b>Subhead 3</b>

Info about subhead

<b>Conclusion</b>

Conclusion paragraph

In the opening paragraph, introduce the subject.

"New Zealand is a wonderland full of incredible sights to see and explore".

Pad it with some extra stuff.

Then add something like "In this article, you'll learn ..." and write a bit about what the article is about.

Then, write your three points and the conclusion paragraph.

It's a simple structure that makes it really easy to write the articles.

Remember: it doesn't have to be perfect. Just good enough. Write in a conversational tone and try to avoid writing fluff.

Also, buy this book if you want to improve your writing skills -- http://www.amazon.com/dp/0060956437/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And read this - http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/02/07/david-ogilvy-on-writing/

muu

This text broker thing sounds interesting, even if its only for some writing experience. I may have to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom