• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got laid off, any Internet work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
OK, text broker doesn't accept Peruvian.
Any website I can get a few bucks that accept people who are not from the us, Canada or Europe?

My hope was mturk but it's us only :/

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
How do I join crowdsource como?
Does it accept non us workers too?

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Oh yeah, you'll easily be able to make $100-$200 a month. Even if you only write one article a day, that's still $225 at the end of the month.

Judging by your post, you'll easily get a level 4 placement. If they like your writing, they'll bump you up to level 5 after a bit. If you impress some of the people requesting work, they'll send you some private requests at higher rates, too.

Best of luck, man!

Thanks for the positive feedback. I sent off the writing sample and got the sample rated. They were pretty fast in responding too. It only took around 6 hours. I have been approved and activated. They gave me a level 3 rating. I was disappointed because I expected level 4. I don't mind being level 3 given that I can write a stream of good articles and then get elevated to the higher levels.

The issue I'm facing is the assignments. All of the assignments currently listed are levels 4 and 5. There are zero assignments currently available for levels 2 and 3. I would love to get started tonight but there are no assignments to choose from. Are there usually a steady flow of level 3 assignments? I keep refreshing the page every hour or so but I am yet to see any assignments I can actually execute.

I was almost certain the sample I wrote was level 4. Part of me wishes I could have sent them a "real" sample. An excerpt from some of my best work. They wanted something original written there and then though on one of their selected topics so I was forced to come up with something new. I'm considering appealing the decision and sending a better writing example and see if they change the level.

It would be cool if there were some level 3 assignments on there but I just refreshed the page and that number is still sitting on zero. Advice?

EDIT: Update. Emailed the Textbroker team asking them for advice. Submitted a new and better writing sample asking them to upgrade me to level 4.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
How do you do it? The only "good" ones I've found are the surveys and they pay around 0.25 to 0.50 each!

Crowdsource is your friend. I have made over $3700 from them alone. I was one in the top 10 in earnings from them, but took an extended break from Turking at the beginning of 2012. I am still well within the top 100, but am slowly climbing the ladder again.

If you can write and you can write fast, then Crowdsource is easy, easy money. I average well above $20/hr from them, and almost never edit or grade HITs, just write.

Over the last few weeks, I have written about computer networking, health-related topics, internet stuff, politics, etc.

I don't typically choose topics that I don't know at least something about, but in desperation, I have gone and done research to complete HITs which lowers my hourly average, but still makes me more than enough money in my downtime to make it worth it.

nimbus

Banned
I actually found a pretty sweet gig off of Craigslist a while back to tag certain forums with product tags in order to populate the forum with purchase links. It pays pretty well for the amount of work I do, and at times I wonder if the company actually makes money from the fruits of my labor.

Flek

Banned
textbroker is hilarious - there is a group that wants me to write about shemales for 1.4 cents a word…

twofold

textbroker is hilarious - there is a group that wants me to write about shemales for 1.4 cents a word…

Haha. There is some really weird stuff on there at times.

I just wrote 4 articles about e-sports. Easy money! Took me 48 minutes to write 4 articles for $9 each. I like writing about stuff I know about. Makes it easy.

@ThreeSixty : Good luck! I recommend installing a page monitoring extension like 'page monitor' for Chrome or 'check4change' for Firefox. It'll monitor a website and update you whenever it updates. It's a good way to nab jobs as soon as they pop up.

Whereabouts in Thailand? If you haven't decided on a place, I recommend Chiang Mai. You can easily live on $500 a month there. I spent about 6 months there and loved it.

I stayed at the View Doi Mansion. Really amazing for only 5,000THB per month ($165/£102/123euros).

http://www.viewdoimansion.com/04.html

Thanks for this. This place looks great for my future "4 Hour Work Week" living situation that I'm cooking up.

Anyone know if there's a thread about moving to a foreign country and living cheap like this while working on the internet?

twofold

Thanks for this. This place looks great for my future "4 Hour Work Week" living situation that I'm cooking up.

Anyone know if there's a thread about moving to a foreign country and living cheap like this while working on the internet?

On this forum? No, not that I know of.

You can find tons of threads on other forums, though.

And yeah, the View Doi is awesome for the 4hww stuff. There is a big internet entrepreneur community in Chiang Mai, too. Other hotspots in Asia are Bali, Bangkok and Saigon. I know of at least 300 people living in those places earning a living online.

On this forum? No, not that I know of.

You can find tons of threads on other forums, though.

Maybe you should start the thread!

I'm going to sign up for a few of these. I do mystery shopping on the side to make extra money and get free food. Bare International, Market Force, and A Closer Look are all legit.

twofold

Maybe you should start the thread!

I'm going to sign up for a few of these. I do mystery shopping on the side to make extra money and get free food. Bare International, Market Force, and A Closer Look are all legit.

Hah. I'll leave it up to other people. :p

I spend too much time on this forum as it is. I think I'd be on here 24/7 if I had my own thread to monitor.

Honestly, though. The wahm.com forum is one of the best for finding out ways to make good, legit money online. Those chicks know how to hustle.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Crowdsource is your friend. I have made over $3700 from them alone. I was one in the top 10 in earnings from them, but took an extended break from Turking at the beginning of 2012. I am still well within the top 100, but am slowly climbing the ladder again.

If you can write and you can write fast, then Crowdsource is easy, easy money. I average well above $20/hr from them, and almost never edit or grade HITs, just write.

Over the last few weeks, I have written about computer networking, health-related topics, internet stuff, politics, etc.

I don't typically choose topics that I don't know at least something about, but in desperation, I have gone and done research to complete HITs which lowers my hourly average, but still makes me more than enough money in my downtime to make it worth it.

I requested a qualification from them. I see one $11 article but I'm not qualified. Hopefully they accept.

EDIT: So Textbroker is legit too?

Flek

Banned
Haha. There is some really weird stuff on there at times.

I just wrote 4 articles about e-sports. Easy money! Took me 48 minutes to write 4 articles for $9 each. I like writing about stuff I know about. Makes it easy.

its kinda strange to see how many informations some of them want you to press in 300 words…

twofold

its kinda strange to see how many informations some of them want you to press in 300 words…

Don't worry about the maximum word count. 99% of what I write is 50-70+ words over the word limit. I find it easier to write than it is to edit stuff down so I just keep on writing. I average about 60-70 words per minute so it doesn't take me a lot of time to write a little bit extra. I've only ever had one person request that I lower the word count to fit their limits so most people don't care.

And yeah, some people do ask for way too much. I can't be bothered with those people anymore. They're not worth my time. Just skip those types of people and focus on working with people who are easy to work with. It makes life MUCH easier.

Suirrad

Great thread for some money on the side. Please keep the suggestions coming. I'm looking for something more like data entry.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Textbroker is legit, as well, but they pay less per word than Crowdsource, so I stick with what works. If you are getting less than 2 cents per word, you are getting screwed. Of course, each person's desire to make money is different, so maybe you would be fine with that, but I am not.

Flek

Banned
Textbroker is legit, as well, but they pay less per word than Crowdsource, so I stick with what works. If you are getting less than 2 cents per word, you are getting screwed. Of course, each person's desire to make money is different, so maybe you would be fine with that, but I am not.

hmm i just started out but iam trying to get direct orders for 4-5 cent in fields i know a lot about … i just mail customers and see how it goes.

@twofold
yeha thx for the advice i just over delivered too.

Az

I just got approved by Lionbridge. $13.50/hour. Need to take the online test next I guess. This could be decent as a part time job next to my full time.

Fox1304

I've signed up with Textbroker and wrote 2/3 texts last night. They do seem to pay less than Crowdsource, but can Crowdsource be used when you're not in the US ? ( I'm french, and Textbroker has a french branch )

Weenerz

Banned
sorry, just missed this. my offer letter was for 13.50 per hour, 20 hours a week max, 80 hours a month max.

contingent on me passing both tests though. finished the second test last night, I'll know if I have it in 24 hours.

Sounds like a good deal, 80 hours a month for $13.50, will defintiely need to look into this.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Well, the issue is getting approved for the qualification for Crowdsource hits. It looks easier to get accepted on Textbroker. I guess I'll see which one accepts first! :)

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I've signed up with Textbroker and wrote 2/3 texts last night. They do seem to pay less than Crowdsource, but can Crowdsource be used when you're not in the US ? ( I'm french, and Textbroker has a french branch )

Crowdsource typically allows their hits to be done wherever MTurk is allowed. Sometimes, they even specialize hits for Great Britain or Canada.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
You cost yourself more by cracking the whip always and creating an undesirable work environment.

I understand a customer service/operations/phone operator needing to always be on task. Office workers though, you're never going to get 100% utilization. It's a fantasy.

Not sure who you are talking to or what about?

Going to sign up for Lionbridge. Something to pass the time when Crowdsource does not have topics I want to write about. :)

I wonder what their top $/hr is, since I presume my writing skills are sharp enough to get up there.

You cost yourself more by cracking the whip always and creating an undesirable work environment.

I understand a customer service/operations/phone operator needing to always be on task. Office workers though, you're never going to get 100% utilization. It's a fantasy.

Wrong thread Mike. But I know that feel.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

This reads like spam or something, what are you talking about?

Are any of these available for people outside of the US? specifically the UK.

lionbridge does hire out of the UK. only for UK based work though, and I don't recall if they were looking for UK raters at this time. there IS at least one other company doing the exact same work though, so odds are good one or the other will have spots open. do a little googling.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
@ThreeSixty : Good luck! I recommend installing a page monitoring extension like 'page monitor' for Chrome or 'check4change' for Firefox. It'll monitor a website and update you whenever it updates. It's a good way to nab jobs as soon as they pop up.

Thanks for the advice man. Just posting an update here to say that Textbroker finally has some level 3 assignments posted. I'm super tired at the moment. Exhausted even. I doubt I would have the energy to write anything decent now but I'm going to be all over those assignments tomorrow. The site does seem to now have a stream of level 3 assignments coming in (something I asked Textbroker in an email I sent them). Thank God for that.

I'll let everyone here know how it goes. I'll start writing for them first thing tomorrow. Hope this works.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
i used to write for constant content. it can pay a lot per article but their editing staff is slow and horrible. they take several days to review, then if you have a single typo they make you fix it yourself and resubmit, waiting several more days. theres also no guarantee of purchase.

but sometimes you can get like $100+ jobs

I got level 3 on textbrocker? I've never thought of myself as being good at writing and just quickly wrote some boring stuff about projectors.

Seems like this could be a fun little hobby.

Crazyorloco

Great stuff in this thread. I had no idea about all these money making opportunities. I will check out Amazon's Mturk and some others later. My fiancee is home a lot so she might be interested in some of these.

I want to contribute something: https://www.bzzagent.com/

Doesn't give you money, but you can get lots of free products. Just answer surveys.

Quikies83

I did some online techsupport for a company called SupportSpace. I know they're still around and taking applicants. They're partnered with Geek Squad so you'll get a ton of Best Buy customers that need help with their systems, printers, networking equipment, and tablets. You're paid per case and set your own schedule. At the time, I was making $45 per virus/malware removal, $25 for printer troubleshooting, $25 for software troubleshooting. Good way to make easy, tax-free money.

Definitely seems like a good way to generate some extra money. Do you have to be an expert on the field you write about? I guess I can write about politics and business. Perhaps StarCraft/esports as well lol

Flek

Banned
Definitely seems like a good way to generate some extra money. Do you have to be an expert on the field you write about? I guess I can write about politics and business. Perhaps StarCraft/esports as well lol

nope you dont have to be an expert but it makes writing way easier

L3E2

Is there anyone from Canada that does this? I graduated from post secondary back in November and I still haven't found a job. I'm thinking this would be a good way to bring in some income till I find an actual career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom