• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just ordered an Xbox Series S - gonna play some backwards compatibile games this Christmas!

Drizzlehell

Banned
Any worthy recommendations aside from the obvious, like Halo 5 and Gears of War?

This is pretty much the only reason why I'm getting this because I do all of my next-gen gaming on PS5 and PC, and all I'm missing now is to be able to play some of the classics from the original Xbox and the 360 era that never got a proper next-gen treatment. That library of backwards compatible games is really huge, it's like a goldmine of games that I never played.

I'm already farting from all the excitement.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Any worthy recommendations aside from the obvious, like Halo 5 and Gears of War?

original Xbox and the 360 era
Xbox
Conker Live and Reloaded
TES III Marrowind
Manhunt
Max Payne 1 & 2
Otogi 1 & 2
Psychonauts
Prince of Persia The Sands of Time
Battlefront 1 & 2
KOTOR 1 & 2
Revenge of the Sith
Time Splitters 1 & 2

The 360 has too many games to list honestly.

I would start with The Witcher 2, MCC, Fable 1, 2 & 3, Gears 1, 2 & 3, Red Dead Redemption & Rare Replay.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2 are worth it right off the bat. They never go on sale so just pay for it.

There's a ton more. The MS Store has gotten better. Sometimes you can find a full list of all BC games on there already sorted. Just add everything to your wish list and wait on it, and check weekly. Most of it goes on sale but not all.

intbal

Series S doesn't get X enhancements, aside from a few titles.
So it will be running original resolutions of Xbox 360 and Xbox One games.
Unless they changed that at some point.

Orta

Banned
Daft question, all these OG and 360 games, are they all available on a digital xbox store? And when I say all I mean every OG & 360 game? And are they cheap? I skipped the last Xbox gen so haven't a clue what the setup is.

Actually, speaking of last gen, can you download/play Xbox One stuff on the series s?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Daft question, all these OG and 360 games, are they all available on a digital xbox store? And when I say all I mean every OG & 360 game? And are they cheap? I skipped the last Xbox gen so haven't a clue what the setup is.

Actually, speaking of last gen, can you download/play Xbox One stuff on the series s?
No, some are available for use on disc but not the store. Even stranger, a small amount were on the store at some point and then removed as licenses expire.

There are still quite a few up there and they do go on deep sales frequently. You can play all Xbox One stuff also that's been previously purchased digitally, or is still available. 360 stuff. Original Xbox stuff. It's pretty nice.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Some of those are disc-only and Series S doesn't have a disc drive, unfortunately. But performance and enhancement-wise SS is generally better, which is why I went with that option. Hopefully they will make those disc-only games available on digital store at some point but for now, there's not that many of them so it's a payoff that I'm willing to take. You just gotta look up which games you want to play and then see if they're available digitally and then weigh your options.

Oh, and there's also GamePass. There's a shit ton of these BC classics available through subscription too.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned

There are a handful of games that aren't digitally available, but are backwards compatible and would need the 360 disc in a drive the XSS doesn't have, like that Batman Arkham Origins game. Also some games that are delisted. Otherwise, the vast majority of the BC games are typically on the digital store.

Almost everything specifically Xbox One generation is the same thing going forward on the new Series platforms. The exclusion is related to games that depend on the Kinect camera.

The store is all largely seemless and not as fragmented between generations compared to games with multiple versions or ports like on the PSN where you see PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita with cross-buy stuff.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
You can also use the Series S as an incredibly powerful emulation machine. Everything up to PS2/Gamecube.
8d7.gif

Y... you can do that?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
8d7.gif

Y... you can do that?

Yep, here are two GAF topics that are routinely updated:

On Series S you'll need to run at a lower resolution multiplier, but you'll still comfortably be able to play PS2/GC games in 1080p. This is DQ8 on a SX with a 6x res multiplier.

xbsx22022-10-3011-12-d2icd.png

Last edited:

adamsapple

GTA 4 on Xbox Series BC is the best way to play the game. It performs much better than on PC.

I’d jump on Alien Isolation in BC if I had an Xbox, that 60fps black magic is cool.

Both great examples. There's a bunch more games that benefit greatly from FPS boost.

Also recommended to try Mad Max and Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. Both of those are on sale right now for a very low price and both benefit from 60 FPS via FPS Boost.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yep, here are two GAF topics that are routinely updated:

On Series S you'll need to run at a lower resolution multiplier, but you'll still comfortably be able to play PS2/GC games in 1080p. This is DQ8 on a SX with a 6x res multiplier.

xbsx22022-10-3011-12-d2icd.png
Kinda blown away by this lol.

Although it would be a bummer if it's only working with original game discs. You know, with Series S not having a disc drive and shit.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I always encourage playing gears of war’s campaign

Hell yeah bro. That's the first thing that I'm gonna play on this. I literally never played GoW 2 or 3 since they never came out on PC. Didn't check if Judgment is also available in BC but hell, I'd even play that one for sure.

adamsapple

Kinda blown away by this lol.

Although it would be a bummer if it's only working with original game discs. You know, with Series S not having a disc drive and shit.

The emulation actually doesn't work with discs at all even on SX lol, you need to convert your games to .ISO files for them to work.

100% works the same on Series S like Series X.

Top Bottom