• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just watched Interstellar; need space games that recreate exploration/loneliness

Mozz-eyes

Banned
I saw Interstellar in imax when it first came out and have been seeking that feeling of exploration.

I already own Homeworld Remastered which conveys a good sense of exploration but is heavy on the combat so doesn't quite have the impact I'm looking for.

Obvious choice would be Kerbal Space Program, at first glance. Is it any good?

And how about Elite Dangerous?

There seems to be plenty of space games on Steam but reviews vary a lot...

NMS.jpg

Bishop89

No man's sky will be perfect for you, but it aint out! >.<

Cant really think of one.

What about something like dead space? Not so much for exploration, but i feel it has that 'lonelineess' feel.

Raide

Way too many space shootbang games.

Depending on how it shakes out, No Mans Sky could be the game you want.

SomTervo

I saw Interstellar in imax when it first came out and have been seeking that feeling of exploration.

I already own Homeworld Remastered which conveys a good sense of exploration but is heavy on the combat so doesn't quite have the impact I'm looking for.

And how about Elite Dangerous?

There seems to be plenty of space games on Steam but reviews vary a lot...

Not so much amazing stuff for exploration, but Dead Space 2 and the opening third of Dead Space 3 have got some brilliant 'lonely spacewalking' segments. Dead Space 1 is great too but has less space.

Edit: your post title says 'exploration/loneliness', your OP just says 'exploration'. Dead Space is no good for exploration.

OP ask opinions about games already released on steam that can take his itch right now.

People point a game that hasnt released yet (seriously, it sounded more like PR than opinion guys, im pretty sured he has heard of No Mans Sky).

About the games you have asked, Ive heard good thing about Elite Dangerous, but Ive never played it.

Ive played Space Engineers, and if you like to build and mine things alone in space, or with some friends, that could be what you are looking for. Is not so much interstellar as it it Gravity though. Theyve updated it now with planets, havent played that version yet but the idea seems awesome.
Elite Dangerous is also planning to add planets in an update, if it hasnt done already.

Haunted

available now: Elite, Space Engine
upcoming: No Man's Sky

to a lesser extent
available now: Rebel Galaxy, Lifeless Planet, Stasis
upcoming: Ghost Song

SomTervo

OP ask opinions about games already released on steam that can take his itch right now.

People point a game that hasnt released yet (seriously, it sounded more like PR than opinion guys, im pretty sured he has heard of No Mans Sky).

About the games you have asked, Ive heard good thing about Elite Dangerous, but Ive never played it.

Ive played Space Engineer, and if you like to build things alone in space, or with some friends, that could be what you are looking for. Is not so much interstellar as it it Gravity though.

Space Engineers is a pretty good shout. Just added planets, too.

Nails the loneliness and a bit of the exploration. It's a sandbox, though - no direction IIRC?

DMTripper

Elite Dangerous is now on a steam sale.

How easy is it to get into these types of games? Don't have tons of time and also i'm playing other games.

Looks cool tho.

singhr1

Elite: Dangerous for sure has parts of what you desire. The initial learning curve is a bit tough but rewarding. I've had those moments where you get intercepted and attacked, barely escape with your cockpit jeopardized. Now, you're struggling to reach a nearby station to repair before your O2 runs out and you lose the ship you've invested time and money into.

Alien: Isolation, though you are not doing much in the way of exploring planets or space at large, has intense moments in a space base. The few times you suit up and go out are tense and cool. You definitely feel lonely with barely any human contact on that ship.

Space Engineers is a pretty good shout. Just added planets, too.

Nails the loneliness and a bit of the exploration. It's a sandbox, though - no direction IIRC?

Yes, its basically a little bit like minecraft in space, so no direction (at least, like old minecraft) . But with more complex pieces (I needed to see some tutorial videos before getting into the game) and you can build amazing space ships, big and small and even terrain vehicles now.

Also, for iOS you should totally try Lifeline which is a text adventure which takes place in real time where you need to help a single survivor of a space shuttle crash survive on an alien world.

It's really good.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Maybe the first Mass Effect with its multiple barren planets? Then again, it's mostly just mountains and cliffs with pretty skyboxes and cool atmosphere, but it still succeed in making you feel alone in the universe, as long as you don't cross robots, mercenaries or giant alien worms in some corner of the planets of course lol.

Capsule, especially as your oxygen begins to drop, and your breathing becomes labored, and the screen becomes dim and foggy with each ragged breath

And it's not space exploration, but NaissanceE is a great first person puzzler/platformer with an incredible otherworldly atmosphere. You feel lost and alone and unwelcome in this alien place. Masterful use of visual and environmental cues to subtly guide you

Not really exactly what you are looking for I guess but maybe Space Engineers if you like to build as well? With the update that brings a few planets + moons to the game I felt something unique and beautiful when I built a ship capable of leaving the Earth's atmosphere and travel to the Moon, it was... different, very interesting and had that loneliness feeling.

UltraJay

Outside of trading and pirate hunting in Elite: Dangerous, you can also explore the far reaches of the galaxy. There are no stations way out there so you have to be careful not to get stranded. It takes a bit of capital to start because you need a better ship, a much better jump drive, as well as a planetary scanner and tool to scoop fuel from suns (you have to be careful not to fly too close). Then you can get paid for your scans.

Elite: Dangerous and Kerbal Space Program, both. They are not easy, you will need to put your mind to it (and read guides, yes that complex). But if you like that, go for them. Incredible experiences.

RK9039

Sounds like you want Elite Dangerous. Eventually Star Citizen will be another great choice.

I've mostly done trading in Elite, you can pretty much avoid combat forever if you know what you're doing. And there's so many systems you'll never see, plus there are aliens hiding somewhere.

Maybe the first Mass Effect with its multiple barren planets? Then again, it's mostly just mountains and cliffs with pretty skyboxes and cool atmosphere, but it still succeed in making you feel alone in the universe, as long as you don't cross robots, mercenaries or giant alien worms in some corner of the planets of course lol.

I was waiting to see how long before someone mentioned the best thing ever. Thank you my good Krogan.

Dennis

Banned
Mass Effect.

Metroid Prime. Though not in space it has the loneliness and atmosphere.

Elite Dangerous is on sale? I should probably get it. On Steam?

Kerbal is an awesome game. Their is a lot of exploration and loneliness in it although a lot of that aspect is locked behind your ability to reach it. You can't start exploring the Moon if you can't even get a ship off the ground. If you are interested in putting the time in then I think it can really fulfill your wants of a deep and atmospheric space game but you should go in knowing that you will spend the first few hours just trying to get a ship into orbit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I was waiting to see how long before someone mentioned the best thing ever. Thank you my good Krogan.

I'm not sure if you wrote that because you remember my old avatar, but I now I suddenly feel the urge to go back to it.

That or wait until next week and cross my fingers that we'll see a trailer with a "frosbited" Krogan.

Kyougar

X3 Albion Prelude is for you. (dont look at x Rebirth)

Exploration is a big part of this Simulation game with over 150 (or so) Systems that can be lonely or busy. thousands of thousands of Stations to trade with or just create your own Stations and make an Empire with your own ships from little Scouts to tradeships to Fighters to bombers to Frigates to Destroyers and lastly Carriers.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Elite Dangerous. The music in it is great and reminds me of Interstellar.

Maybe No Man's Sky when that finally comes out (mid 2016).

Bowlie

Banned
The Dig is a point'n'click adventure from Lucas Arts and you should check it out, because it's amazing!

There's an asteroid coming to crash on Earth and you, a NASA veteran, go with a crew to nuke it before it hits our planet. But something happens, and you end up moving across the space to an alien planet, and you have to discover where the hell you are, what's going on there, and how can you get back.

Even though there were other characters with me, I always felt isolated walking through those places. It was supposed to be a Spielberg's film but due to being impossible budget-wise at that time they turned it into a game, so you may get some "movie-like" vibes c:

Elite Dangerous is what you are looking for, especially if you want to experience the vastness of the galaxy. The game literally has a to scale approximation of the Milky Way galaxy based on our current scientific understanding. However there is a huge expansion coming next month which includes the base game, so buying the base game now is probably not the best idea. I wish so much, that they had a sensible upgrade path to the expansion if you own the base game.

You could go with the $15 purchase to see if you how you like it before investing in the expansion and then at some point pick up the expansion, which includes actual planetary landings on (non-atmospheric planets only) when that goes on sale.

I'm not sure if you wrote that because you remember my old avatar, but I now I suddenly feel the urge to go back to it.

That or wait until next week and cross my fingers that we'll see a trailer with a "frosbited" Krogan.

I remember you fellow N7. ;)

Top Bottom