• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just watched Interstellar; need space games that recreate exploration/loneliness

Burny

Better get that HOTAS (and VR later on) to really get into it.

Nah, that's all optional fancy stuff you don't really need. ;-) Mouse+keyboard or 360 type gamepads work well in Elite. The latter even more so since the 1.4 update migrated the XBone control mapping to the PC game.

SparkTR

Can't decide on if I want to play Elite Dangerous on my PC or on my X1. Are the flightsticks usable on X1?

There's no flight stick that works natively with the XBO, apparently buying a Cronusmax can be provide a solution, but it's buggy (throttle doesn't work) and you have to connect the flightstick to your PC to use it. Unless you have a terrible PC, I don't really see a reason to buy it on an XBO especially when it's getting inbuilt VR support and it looks/runs better on PC.

No man sky just aint cutting it visually for me. Hopefully we can get a deep space game with some impressive writing and high quality gripping story, think The Last of Us levels.

The game does not have to be more than 20 hours long, just make it super high budget and impressive on ever level

Burny

No man sky just aint cutting it visually for me. Hopefully we can get a deep space game with some impressive writing and high quality gripping story, think The Last of Us levels.

The game does not have to be more than 20 hours long, just make it super high budget and impressive on ever level

Then look into Star Citizen and hope that their squadron 42 campaign will be released this decade and not end up as ridiculously cheesy as the little introductory bit they showed one or two months ago.

Beyond Star Citizen with their nearly 100 Mio. $ crowdfunding budget, there is little in terms of "AAA" space games currently.

Eh... This doesn't show enough for me. Plus that cockpit view is terribly obfuscating and takes up too much of the screen. Not pleased with that.

Well... It's a cockpit. Elite is by no means a simulation, but many of sim-like direct-ship-control games tend to stick a cockpit in front of your nose, even if it's more for flair than anything else. This is not Starfox.

SomTervo

The game doesn't have a HUD - the HUD is all what's displayed in your cockpit. It's fairly simulation-ey as space sims go, in this sense.

And a big part of the reason it all looks so weird is that the front glass on the cockpit is broken, so it's less clear/helpful than useful.

That's what the person meant.

Fireblend

Banned
Not space games, but lonely exploration in space games.

the-swapper-logo.jpg

Are both pretty decent.

I'm gonna go for the less popular vote here and tell you to dodge Elite. It's boring, easy and the procedural generation means you'll see the same big balls a lot.

What I think you'd enjoy is KSP instead. It's perhaps a little more cartoon like due to the Kerbal, but the game will deliver that feel of exploration, loneliness and hopelessness most of all.

You have to build your ships so you will start out about as successfull as the American space program was, but eventually you're gonna reach orbit. It won't be easy but it will be rewarding when you finally do it. Then you will need to learn Hohmann transfers to reach the moon and after 20 or so crashes you should pull off the landing. This is where you will start building moon rovers and all sorts to send off on expeditions whilst you prepare your favorite team to go interplanetary.

On their first pass of another planet as you realize that you've messed up the aerobraking and only have enough delta V left to even barely slow yourself, you realize this is what your next week of gaming is going to be, designing a ship to intercept and retrieve that favorite crew you just accidentally sent on a collision course with the sun.

And never forget, when in doubt, get out and push!

Seriously though OP Kerbal feels way more lonely. Elite is essentially a shooter with hyperspace as level swaps. It's not even possible to manually fly from system to system as the game won't load the planets. It doesn't feel like exploration at all IMO.

EBreda

I found The Fall really, really bad.

There's Lifeless Planet, OP. Not a super game or anything, but it's lonely and it's moody. I quite enjoyed it.

Fireblend

Banned
How much is there to do in Elite: Dangerous if I want to play 100% single player? How much am I missing out without touching any of the MP aspects?

Lime

How much is there to do in Elite: Dangerous if I want to play 100% single player? How much am I missing out without touching any of the MP aspects?

It's basically divided into 3 types of gameplay

1. Exploration / recon -> Money
2. Trading / resources
3. Combat / bounty hunting

But I haven't played it since February and others have pointed out how much bigger it has become. I only play it as a SP, meaning that I roam alone. There are contracts and objectives in each space station that you can do to earn money. It's decent, but there's no real meta-goal or narrative to make you feel fulfilled. If you don't mind the lack of a narrative with a conclusion and memorable characters, then it's a really impressive simulation. I love the features, the controls, the hardcore sim elements, and the vastness of it.

Burny

How much is there to do? A whole lot and very little at the same time. ;)

There are base mechanics - mining, trading, missions, bounty hunting, pirating and exploring. But there is no coherent narration and no other progress path than the one you set for yourself.

All that you can do alone or by yourself. All that you're missing out in "Solo" is interaction with other players, who'd do one of those things as well. You can freely switch from "Open" play (global multiplayer) to solo or group (group multiplayer) and will take your progress with you - your actions in all modes feed into the same background sim and vice versa. If you should decide at some point that you'd like to play cooperatively, you can.

I just want to clarify what the four main gameplay types actually are from my experience. Alpha backer too btw.

Exploration - buy a scanner, hyper drive to somewhere a star then hit the scanner. After a few goes you can usually leave and rinse and repeat.

Mining - Just find an asteroid belt and shoot the rocks with a mining laser.

Trading - using a website find out a decent trade route to grind cash for bigger ships.

Combat - Shoot an endless amount of randomly wanted spacecraft.

I admit I haven't played it for a few months now but all systems were so horribly shallow that I couldn't find a reason to keep going. The flight model rocks but nothing else is even close to as fleshed out as it is.

Tge9eqJ.jpg

I'd like to throw down the FTL-like, Into the Stars. It's still Early Access, but it has a ponderous, lonely atmosphere. Hunted down to the last colony ship by a vastly superior alien race, burning from planet to rock to derelict to scrape up enough minerals to keep life sustained aboard the ship.

Things break, civilians suffer, stores are depleted and crew are sparse. Good times.

Top Bottom