• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just watched Interstellar; need space games that recreate exploration/loneliness

Mozz-eyes

Banned
OT, actually, we (small Eastern Europe studio) are working on a game inspired by legendary science fiction writers like Stanisław Lem and Arthur Clarke. It’s a non-horror exploration title (with more than one location) with VR and non VR version on the cards.

We are preparing teaser announcement, which will debut in a couple of weeks.

Here’s some WIP screens – first ever publicly released from the game:

pic1.jpg

---
pic2.png

---
pic3.png

Koralsky, my man, this looks awesome.

Consider your game pre-ordered!

*edit

I love that film grain look. Reminds me a bit of Mass Effect/PT.

Alcibiades

Super Metroid. Really captures the loneliness of being isolated on mysterious planet. Play it at night with the lights off and sound up - you'll creep yourself out.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Well. There's lonely, and then there's System Shock 2 lonely

1.jpg

In terms of flight and exploration, I wish we could get some sort Star Wars universe/Privateer mashup. Seems like some of the stuff coming is going that route, but I miss the old Tie Fighter/X-Wing games

EDIT
while it's not space. i'd seriously recommend SOMA for this sort of vibe. it's underwater. but it feel so alien, and so lonely. it's awesome.

Also this, think it's on sale right now, too

Bowlie

Banned
OT, actually, we (small Eastern Europe studio) are working on a game inspired by legendary science fiction writers like Stanisław Lem and Arthur Clarke. It’s a non-horror exploration title (with more than one location) with VR and non VR version on the cards.

pic1.jpg

---
pic2.png

---
pic3.png

That looks gorgeous, now I'm waiting for the announcement.

I saw Interstellar in imax when it first came out and have been seeking that feeling of exploration.

I already own Homeworld Remastered which conveys a good sense of exploration but is heavy on the combat so doesn't quite have the impact I'm looking for.

Obvious choice would be Kerbal Space Program, at first glance. Is it any good?

And how about Elite Dangerous?

There seems to be plenty of space games on Steam but reviews vary a lot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djy83O0nfds

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZfE4XGPQO8

Elite: Dangerous, ladies and gentlemen.

OP I dream of games/settings such as the one you have described (after all it is my favourite setting in movies/games) but the only game I can think that accurately portrays as sense of adventure & loneliness which still being epic and not feeling like a budget title (or under realised) is Mass Effect 1 . Land on every planet you can adn go exploring every nook and cranny with the rover. Make sure you read all the lore you come across and absolutely crank that music (especially on the map/travel screen). This is what you want OP, trust me I have spent my life trying to recereate that one feeling I got when I first saw that derelict space craft scene in the original Alien and I know how it feels to just want more of something that really resonated with you the first time you experienced it.

SoulUnison

Banned
The correct answer is Metroid Prime Trilogy - though 2 is slightly less solitary than 1 and 3 introduces a whole supporting cast.

SpotAnime

OP, actually, we (small Eastern Europe studio) are working on a game inspired by legendary science fiction writers like Stanisław Lem and Arthur Clarke. It’s a non-horror exploration title (with more than one location) with VR and non VR versions on the cards.

pic1.jpg

---
pic2.png

---
pic3.png

This looks great. Good luck to you and your team. Looking forward to seeing/hearing more soon!

c0Zm1c

Kerbal is an awesome game. Their is a lot of exploration and loneliness in it although a lot of that aspect is locked behind your ability to reach it. You can't start exploring the Moon if you can't even get a ship off the ground. If you are interested in putting the time in then I think it can really fulfill your wants of a deep and atmospheric space game but you should go in knowing that you will spend the first few hours just trying to get a ship into orbit.

I'll double down on the KSP recommendation.
nqBN00Wl.jpg

ynX8Fbdl.jpg

9z5zGDWl.jpg

Adding to these...

Build, Fly, Dream

Not a space game, but Yume Nikki is the definition of loneliness and exploration. You explore a girl's dreams where you need to collect all the effects. Its kinda a huge mess, but charming like games like EarthBound. Its free on pc so check it out!

Haunted

You could always try calling Steam customer support.

Intense feeling of isolation and loneliness.

In the same vein of people recommending Waking Mars and The Swapper - The Fall is another good one. 2D sidescrolling exploration adventure with sparse interpersonal interaction.

Elite:Dangerous is perfect for what you are looking for. Excellent(AND I MEAN FUCKIN' EXCELLENT) sound design, awesome controls(if you have a flight stick) and great visuals. It's a great game for some space exploration.

Elite Dangerous is perfect for what you are looking for. Excellent(AND I MEAN FUCKIN' EXCELLENT) sound design, awesome controls(if you have a flight stick) and great visuals. It's a great game for some space exploration.

Yep. This is the game you are looking for. You can get stranded in this game if you go to far. Also, always have enough in the bank for insurance. Never go out with too little.

Yep. This is the game you are looking for. You can get stranded in this game if you go to far. Also, always have enough in the bank for insurance. Never go out with too little.

That feeling of desperation when your front glass is broken and you're racing to dock so you can repair it as you hear your character gasping for air. HOLY SHIT. So good.

Dennis

Banned
OP, actually, we (small Eastern Europe studio) are working on a game inspired by legendary science fiction writers like Stanisław Lem and Arthur Clarke. It’s a non-horror exploration title (with more than one location) with VR and non VR versions on the cards.

pic1.jpg

---
pic2.png

---
pic3.png

Looks great.

Stiler

I know you asked for Space games, but I would HIGHLY suggest you give Soma a try.

It's set in the depths of the ocean which might as well be space, but it has a VERY great storyline that makes you "think" about things and it's a very lonely place to explore and have the story unfold.

The game is about as close to the atmosphere of Interstellar that you can get imo, even if it's not actually set in space it deals with a lot of the same themes and such.

It'/s a game that's also best not to watch reviews or be careful at least, you do NOT want to spoil the storyline or the choices the game puts forth for you.

Buburibon

Wait... You can actually fly to and explore Sagittarius A* in Elite: Dangerous?

I'm sold on it.

Elite is very, very cool. I'm currently working on improving my rep with the right factions in order to gain a permit to visit SOL. Also just purchased auto docking and it's amazing for lazy pilots such as myself. :p

Swarna

I'm confused by ED's purchasing options. Is there a bundle for the upcoming expansion + base game and can I start playing the base game with it ASAP?

c0Zm1c

I'm confused by ED's purchasing options. Is there a bundle for the upcoming expansion + base game and can I start playing the base game with it ASAP?

When the expansion is out you'll get the base game with it. If you buy the base game now you'll have to buy the expansion on top, so it might be better to wait.

MrDoctor

the ps2 echo night was a cool game about exploring a haunted moon base. lots of deserted space with only the sound of your character's breathing.

Although not technically in space, I feel like Axiom Verge fits the vibe you're looking for.

Edit: oh, and how about some Super Mario Galaxy? Many of the galaxies fit the "alone in deep space" feel well (like Good Egg and Space Junk Galaxies).

Mozz-eyes

Banned
OP play Metroid Prime!

It looks like you want a PC game, but you can use Dolphin if you have a good enough computer.

Sorry, should have mentioned that I played and beat all the Prime games on GameCube and Wii.

Good isolation and loneliness in that series, though.

SmartBase

masseffect2011-08-040unjvu.jpg

I would've said Mass Effect back when it first released but Elite Dangerous is my pick, more so if they can create more complex planet types next year.

Top Bottom