• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just watched Interstellar; need space games that recreate exploration/loneliness

DooMAGE

Evochron Mercenary
http://store.steampowered.com/app/71000/

ss_714ff8a08f125b5996d455d9e16c729f3308f29c.600x338.jpg

This game is so nice, it's made by just one guy and was the first of the modern space sims with seamless planet landing, there is no borders or portals, you can just explore the space, you are not on a black 3D box with a cool skybox, you can really feel the loneliness of the universe.

Nameless

Space games that aren't fps/tps have been undeserved on consoles for a very very long. I lost an arm beating the drum for a new Colony Wars.

Elite Dangerous is isolating and terrifying. Cruising towards a planet or space station and moving your head around to look out the window makes you really feel like your stuck in a tin can flying through space.
Exiting from that super fast travel speed and appearing in front of a giant star is terrifying.

Well worth the asking price IMO.

SomTervo

Elite Dangerous is isolating and terrifying. Cruising towards a planet or space station and moving your head around to look out the window makes you really feel like your stuck in a tin can flying through space.
Exiting from that super fast travel speed and appearing in front of a giant star is terrifying.

Well worth the asking price IMO.

Just got a big new PC. Next year I'll get a better GPU. And Oculus. Then this.

giphy.gif

There was a pretty awesome "space age" of video games from the mid 80s to mid to late 90s, and what I've always loved about some of those games is that sense of isolation and adventure, a more of a Star Trek approach with emphasis on exploration, resource gathering, trading, communicating with unknown alien races, diplomacy and a usually (and unfortunately) undercooked combat.

I like Elite: Dangerous and have spent dozens of hours on it, but IMO it lacks that sense of lonely galactic adventure, I think mainly because of the way it handles instanced interplanetary flight (it really doesn't click with me for some reason) and the setting and its goals (big industrial hulks in space, dry-feeling empires and democracies, political battles between factions etc.). It has a lot of freedom, but the confines within which you are set free don't really click that much with me.

No Man's Sky sounds like something I'd really be into, with maybe a bit more contacts with alien NPCs, diplomacy etc. but I generally like the direction they're going for.

If you're into trying some older games OP (as in PC DOS), you might like stuff like the Starflight/Protostar games, Star Control, Captain Blood, Millennia: Altered Destinies, Ironseed, basically space trading and exploration or 4X games but revolving around a single person or a small crew set in a grand space opera, instead of building an empire or being a privateer in a political conflict.

EDIT:
Also, even though it's not a game yet, try Space Engine and just fly into a black hole while listening to Interstellar's OST. :)

Angry Fork

Space Engine is really cool as it feels like it's based on genuine data and images, and you're able to experience just how vast in scale the galaxies/universe really is.

Vanmunt

Banned
100 hours later with Elite Dangerous and I still love it... cannot wait for Oculus and planet landings. Takes a bit of getting used to and a flight stick is kind of essential, though the thrustmasterX is pretty cheap if you look around (I paid 20 Queens English pounds on one).

Not sold on No Man's Sky delivering that same atmosphere - everything we've seen looks very bright, warm and colourful, and full of life. The worlds of Interstellar are all barren, cold and bleak looking, devoid of life.

Please correct me if i'm wrong as I too lust for said game! Still interested in the supposed "space souls" rumoured for From.

RK9039

Aaand you guys just convinced me to buy Elite Dangerous

Tell me I won't regret it, GAF

You'll definitely regret it after you've rammed your ship into the landing pad because you forgot to deploy your landing gear. Plus you had no shields on your ship because you thought you were so good at the game and got more cargo space instead.

:|

PulseONE

You'll definitely regret it after you've rammed your ship into the landing pad because you forgot to deploy your landing gear. Plus you had no shields on your ship because you thought you were so good at the game and got more cargo space instead.

:|

Sounds like the good kind of regret to me!

*Note to self, get shields

Coming at this from a different angle: I'd recommend Out There. It started life as a mobile game (it's the only version I've played so far) but is available on Steam in an enhanced format. It's like FTL except there's no ship combat. Instead you're trying to keep your ship alive, so you need to take on resources and explore planets for fuel, components, etc. Multiple endings, very roguelike.

No Man' Sky looks to be pretty upbeat, OP seems to be wanting something more melancholy which Elite should fit the bill. A bit off topic but the film 'Moon' conveys that feeling incredibly well, with an unbeatable soundtrack. Still watch is every so often.

keidashxd

Lifeless planet has exploration, loneliness and an interesting plot, it's a kickstarter game from last year but I enjoyed this may on Xbox One, really liked it.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Aaand you guys just convinced me to buy Elite Dangerous

Tell me I won't regret it, GAF

I have not regretted it and I got in during the kickstarter. As for others I cannot say for sure since this game has times of boredom...anyone who has been to Alpha Centauri flying to Hutton Orbital knows exactly what I'm talking about. It takes about 1-2 hours to get there an if you get interdicted on the way that just adds to it.

Just a note Elite is on sale for $15 on Steam.

PulseONE

I have not regretted it and I got in during the kickstarter. As for others I cannot say for sure since this game has times of boredom...anyone who has been to Alpha Centauri flying to Hutton Orbital knows exactly what I'm talking about. It takes about 1-2 hours to get there an if you get interdicted on the way that just adds to it.

Just a note Elite is on sale for $15 on Steam.

Yes, that's why I got it, I saw the sale and caved in xD

X3 Albion Prelude is for you. (dont look at x Rebirth)

Exploration is a big part of this Simulation game with over 150 (or so) Systems that can be lonely or busy. thousands of thousands of Stations to trade with or just create your own Stations and make an Empire with your own ships from little Scouts to tradeships to Fighters to bombers to Frigates to Destroyers and lastly Carriers.

This advice, right here. X3 Albion Prelude is incredible.

Heypoppy

Banned
A shitty hollywood movie made you think that? Stop being a fucking pleb

There is already a game that explore loneliness and memories in space in the most effective, atmospheric way (and it's a pretty good survival horror also). It's practically a "Solaris" videogame interpretation. Edit: it also reminds me that anime movie segment in "Memories"

Echo Night: Beyond https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyzcaY80UIU

Stop playing american games and watching hollywood movies. They'll make you more retarded

VARIA

If you can get past the dated graphics, clunky controls and interface (asking a lot already) Noctis for the PC is an amazing game that has its own universe to explore. The learning curve in this game is part of its appeal, once you get the hang of it you'll feel pretty cool exploring these planets, snapping pics of odd landscapes and just immersing yourself in the monochromatic universe. Best of all? It's free.

http://youtu.be/_ez7hkv2rFs

SomTervo

Stop playing american games and watching hollywood movies. They'll make you more retarded

Wtf mate.

I'm not American and I don't like 99% of Hollywood's output, but there's no need for this.

Edit: Ah, you're also the person who said you're worried about Shenmue 3's artstyle because it's using Unreal.

PulseONE

There is already a game that explore loneliness and memories in space in the most effective, atmospheric way (and it's a pretty good survival horror also). It's practically a "Solaris" videogame interpretation. Edit: it also remember me that anime movie segment in "Memories"

Aggressive much? Let the man like what he likes.

Danlord

There is already a game that explore loneliness and memories in space in the most effective, atmospheric way (and it's a pretty good survival horror also). It's practically a "Solaris" videogame interpretation. Edit: it also remember me that anime movie segment in "Memories"

........that was unnecessary.

eizarus

Banned

giphy.gif

Are you trying to get hit by a banhammer from Thor?

Anyway OP, I'm surprised it's only been mentioned once, but Alien: Isolation, as the name suggests, really does capture that lonely feeling of space. There are barely any humans, you're mostly alone in the game going through an abandoned space station (or was it a ship?). Oh and there's this deadly alien playing hide and seek with you. Seriously, grab a pair of noise cancelling headphones, turn of the lights and experience what was definitely one of the best games last year.

Edit: Interstellar was fucking amazing.

Edit: Banned. Called it. Pay up guys.

imBask

Banned

There is already a game that explore loneliness and memories in space in the most effective, atmospheric way (and it's a pretty good survival horror also). It's practically a "Solaris" videogame interpretation. Edit: it also reminds me that anime movie segment in "Memories"

I bet you're that guy who also tells people to stop watching sports and care about important things instead

Smokey

Elite Dangerous is what you are looking for, especially if you want to experience the vastness of the galaxy. The game literally has a to scale approximation of the Milky Way galaxy based on our current scientific understanding. However there is a huge expansion coming next month which includes the base game, so buying the base game now is probably not the best idea. I wish so much, that they had a sensible upgrade path to the expansion if you own the base game.

You could go with the $15 purchase to see if you how you like it before investing in the expansion and then at some point pick up the expansion, which includes actual planetary landings on (non-atmospheric planets only) when that goes on sale.

What, wait? I own the base game. Whats the non sensible issue with the expansion?

Oreoleo

MirrorMoon is pretty much space + loneliness + exploration. Got 9/10 at Eurogamer too.
Great call! It's not the most fun game but it DEFINITELY nails the loneliness + exploration aspect in spades. Plays like a No Man's Sky prototype, I reckon.

Kerbal Space Program is really fantastic, too. Not quite so much "lonely in space" feeling but very fun, challenging and rewarding. It's like Minecraft but if you played the role of a wreckless NASA and built space stations and moon colonies instead of houses and caves.

Thanks for the laugh.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Man, you guys <3

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'll start off with Elite and go from there. Space Engineers looks awesome too.

Also lol @ the guy a couple of posts up. I'm sorry enjoying Interstellar makes me a pleb.

Bahahahahahahaha.

PulseONE

What, wait? I own the base game. Whats the non sensible issue with the expansion?

Basically buying Elite with the expansion is $60.

If you own Elite, you can get it for $45, $15 less.

Man, you guys <3

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'll start off with Elite and go from there. Space Engineers looks awesome too.

Also lol @ the guy a couple of posts up. I'm sorry enjoying Interstellar makes me a pleb.

Bahahahahahahaha.

Yeah, don't listen to him, Interstellar was one of my favorite movies of all time

Dude, 4chan is down the hall and to the left

NotSelf

Ya no man's sky seems perfect for this but the first thing that came to mind when I read the title was solar jetman.

Madness

The original Mass Effect. It's crazy how that game completely captured the feeling of what it would be like in the future exploring uncharted worlds, using the Mako, etc. Most especially the first time seeing the Citadel, Normandy, going to Noveria, seeing Ilos for the first time.

Sure you're not manually flying in the game itself, but that feeling of space exploration, future living, Interstellar type feeling is definitely there.

Elite Dangerous is now on a steam sale.

How easy is it to get into these types of games? Don't have tons of time and also i'm playing other games.

Looks cool tho.

Elite is a really cool game, and had that space loneliness feel I was going for. I think I was just very bad at the game and had a hard time with it. Seemed like it would have been much easier with a proper flight stick.

SomTervo

Man, you guys <3

Bahahahahahahaha.

Yeah, guy's ridiculous - honestly Interstellar is arguably my favourite film of all time, warts and all, and I am not a Hollywood fan. Was just perfectly refreshing to get an actual hard sci-fi movie for a change...

Kssio_Aug

There are many bad Hollywood movies out there, Interstellar is not one of them!
Also, it seems you don't watch them at all, and either way you act unnecessarily aggressive... it clearly doesnt make you a better person.

About the question in OP, I can't say for sure about any of said games in this thread! But I do think Elite Dangerous and Adrift seems to deliver a pretty damn awesome experience! No Man's Sky, besides cartoonish is also promising (but about this one I'm more reserved since I fear it to fail delivering what it promises).

Top Bottom