• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice League - Comic-Con Sneak Peek

darfox8

Neo Member
Ehhh... I really disagree. I know that's a glib response to your well articulated post but I think the whole movie largely lead to the end. I concede it is a convoluted movie with shit it shouldn't have, but I think a lot of it works.

I mostly think you are judging this movie on a super harsh level, which is your prerogative and potentially their own fault for acting like they have a lot of heady ideas. This showing and telling thing is a nice rule of thumb but most commercial popcorn flicks probably fail this, imo.

edit: man these threads have some shit going on in 'em, huh. Wow.

Dude it's like walking downtown trying to find someone but trying to avoid eye contact with all the homeless people talking to themselves.

I mostly think you are judging this movie on a super harsh level, which is your prerogative and potentially their own fault for acting like they have a lot of heady ideas. This showing and telling thing is a nice rule of thumb but most commercial popcorn flicks probably fail this, imo.

A lot of mainstream films have trouble with this, sure, but a lot of them nail it, too. There are a lot of very affecting mainstream films released every year, and the fact they're considered legitimately affecting is proof of their creators' abilities to avoid "tell, don't show" and engineer their stories to evoke feelings, sometimes without needing any words at all.

I mean, I don't think I'm being super harsh. I think Man of Steel is okay. Better than Superman Returns, at least. But if it reads as harsh, especially when it comes to BvS, it's because there's so much of it that went so sideways that enumerating all the ways it splat-packed tends to read like a pile-up.

But I don't think I'm thinking too hard or anything like that.

I mean, sometimes a YAYUH is just an AWWRIGHT is just a WAHOO.

At which point I'm all in.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going frame by frame and there's not a whole lot of stuff to grab from it, but there are some things we can piece together some order of the shots...

First up - The shot of Batman on the gargoyle is probably right before he meets up with Gordon. Notice the same gargoyle's in the upper right of the frame...

2P19lVO.jpg

vUra24f.jpg

Next, the "bank robbery" we see Diana stop, isn't a bank robbery. It's at a court house; notice what the text says where the arrow is pointing: "Central Criminal Court"

This is definitely Lois looking at the broken memorial

Interesting to note that the Amazon's aren't looking at the Mother Box in this shot. For some reason they appear to be facing each other, then turn their attention to the box when it starts to shake...

Diana is in Gotham in this scene. You can see the "Gotham City Bus" blue sign above her head

For some reason, this shot is mirrored. The text is backwards (as well as upside down due to the vehicle being flipped that way in the movie)...

Best look at Steppenwolf's face

The Justice League looking at a video message from either Supergirl or Superman. I think the camera will actually pan 360 around everyone to show everyone's reaction to the message. At first it looks just like Bruce is watching it, but in the 2nd pic you can see it's the same location and he's wearing the same clothes, but Arthur is sitting on the table next to a Mother Box. The Mother Box must be displaying the message.

And finally, here's Batman saving the scientists which have gone missing

Veelk

Banned
So on topic of Justice League:

We've had a few trailers by now and maybe it's just that they're bothering to try to not give away plot details at this point, but I'm kind of surprised by how little I know about the actual story.

I know this: Darkseid's army invades. Batman assembles the League. Barry is obviously the new guy who gets his toes in the water of combat, while Superman makes his return from the grave.

But other than that, I have no idea what other character arc is supposed to be going on. This might mean I'm going to be pleasantly surprised when the movie actually releases...or (and I think this is more likely) this is going to be a CG brawl the likes of which the world hasn't yet seen.

dankir

We agree it's superman at the very end talking to Alfred right? I watched it again on my TV and you can see a hint of red in the bottom right corner, gotta be his cape.

darfox8

Neo Member
I mean, I don't think I'm being super harsh. I think Man of Steel is okay. Better than Superman Returns, at least. But if it reads as harsh, especially when it comes to BvS, it's because there's so much of it that went so sideways that enumerating all the ways it splat-packed tends to read like a pile-up.

Fair enough, I guess I don't know where everyone in this thread stands, even if they are posting criticism. I'm new here. First post was defending DCEU... this account was born to suffer.

I'm not sure whether I like or dislike how Barry fights because of how accurate it is lol. The dude moves too fast so he just smashes into his enemies and run away. He doesn't really have any martial arts training or any fighting training at all is what it seems from the trailer.

Can we get a rundown of the enthusiast press sites who were actually pushing the notion it might not be Superman?

I think someone earlier said Comic Book Resources was trying to allow for it? Some other site in their recap appeared to be advocating for the theory.

Could be a handy list of writers/outlets you absolutely need to not trust whenever they start diving into the realm of speculation/prognostication.

I'm not sure whether I like or dislike how Barry fights because of how accurate it is lol. The dude moves too fast so he just smashes into his enemies and run away. He doesn't really have any martial arts training or any fighting training at all is what it seems from the trailer.

When you're that fast you have no desire to learn lol

ReiGun

This movie does seem like there's going to be a whole hell of a lot of fighting. Damn near every place we go to in these things features some kind of combat situation.

When you're that fast you have no desire to learn lol

I'm guessing Bruce will provide the initial martial arts training and then have somebody else to train the newer League members in the future. A blonde woman who screams very loud?

The end of the trailer is Supes showing up. Bruce does some research, learns more about Kyrptonian biology, and digs up Clark's grave, brings him to the bat cave, and tries to expose Clark to as much Yellow Sun radiation as possible. Bruce then tells Alfred about Clark's recovery, and thus we are introduced to the ending of last night's trailer.

The 7th member doesn't show up until the last act and it's either J'onn J'onnz or Hal Jordan. Defeats Steppenwolf, MM or GL shows up, warns them about a new threat that relates to Darkseid, and they will focus on that threat until Darkseid intervenes and/or arrives.

This shit was hype. Yeah in all honesty it looks like a nicer looking version of the Avengers climax spread out for a whole film but I'm cool with that.

If WW was WB finally nailing the more serious side of their solo movies that they've been trying with MoS/BvS to varying degrees of success, I'm cool with them going in another direction and finally doing a fun and dumb team up movie considering BvS and SS both fail to deliver on that (I do still like BvS a lot though) and we have arguably not gotten that moment in this universe yet. The DCEU could use a nonstop fun movie that general people can put on and not feel down by the end.

Also the CGI looks fine to me, on par with the Ragnarok trailer (also pretty fucking good). If you don't like CGI fests well that's tough cookies, that's the blueprint for these big ass team up movies now. If you think IW won't look similar you are playing yourself lol.

I'm all in on Aquabro and baby Flash.

LotusHD

Banned
So on topic of Justice League:

We've had a few trailers by now and maybe it's just that they're bothering to try to not give away plot details at this point, but I'm kind of surprised by how little I know about the actual story.

I know this: Darkseid's army invades. Batman assembles the League. Barry is obviously the new guy who gets his toes in the water of combat, while Superman makes his return from the grave.

But other than that, I have no idea what other character arc is supposed to be going on. This might mean I'm going to be pleasantly surprised when the movie actually releases...or (and I think this is more likely) this is going to be a CG brawl the likes of which the world hasn't yet seen.

Well... here's to hoping lol

Veelk

Banned
Well... here's to hoping lol

You know, I don't inherently hate a CGI brawl if it's done well. Kong Skull Island had little going for it narratively, but the actors put on decent performances and we got to see the giant CGI ape fight a giant CGI....lizard thing. And that's all I really needed from it.

Maybe they can do that. I think a large part of why BvS is as insufferable as it is is because of how pretentious it was about it's story. If this is an honest "Look, we're just gonna be 5 year olds playing with our toys about this" sort of movie, I might be down for that atleast.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing Bruce will provide the initial martial arts training and then have somebody else to train the newer League members in the future. A blonde woman who screams very loud?

The end of the trailer is Supes showing up. Bruce does some research, learns more about Kyrptonian biology, and digs up Clark's grave, brings him to the bat cave, and tries to expose Clark to as much Yellow Sun radiation as possible. Bruce then tells Alfred about Clark's recovery, and thus we are introduced to the ending of last night's trailer.

The 7th member doesn't show up until the last act and it's either J'onn J'onnz or Hal Jordan. Defeats Steppenwolf, MM or GL shows up, warns them about a new threat that relates to Darkseid, and they will focus on that threat until Darkseid intervenes and/or arrives.
This guy fucks.

Apt101

No one made a "fence for ants?" joke? Anyway that entire shot needs to be cleaned up in general. Lose that little rose garden fencing and cleanup all of that static.

I think that's Supergirl, and I get the feeling they're going to pack in a bunch of crowd -pleasing cameos and references (like the "Lanterns" mention) as a way of making up for the awkward laptop scene from BvS. And also to basically say "hey, our universe is big as shit. Remember the DC intro before Wonder Woman?".

That "teaser" (if you want to call it that) in man of Steel where Clark finds a pod open and no body. That's the only reason I can think why people are saying Supergirl.

I think it's Superman 99%. 1% Green Lantern just because they mention the lack of lanterns.

I really don't think its Supergirl and definitely Superman but isn't Kara in the comic prequel to MoS?

ReiGun

That "teaser" (if you want to call it that) in man of Steel where Clark finds a pod open and no body. That's the only reason I can think why people are saying Supergirl.

I think it's Superman 99%. 1% Green Lantern just because they mention the lack of lanterns.

It's 100% Superman.

If a character as big as Green Lantern were in this movie, they's say something about it. He'd be on every poster and would have action figures ready to go. They aren't hiding the fact that Superman is in it, despite the fact that he's supposed to be dead in this universe right now.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
why though
I brushed the theory off as well, but then some people in the DCEU thread provided some info to back it up...

The prequel comic to Man of Steel, written by Synder, Johns, and Goyer states that Supergirl did in fact land on Earth thousands of years ago

http://dccomicsextendeduniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Man_of_Steel_Prequel

The hologram is coming from a Mother Box. How would Clark have a pre-recorded video message if he never knew about Mother Boxes?

While I was hesitant to believe this last one at first, the shape of the leg is pretty slim when you compare it to Cavilll's. The contour lines from the hologram aren't doing us any favors as it can trick the eye into slimming objects, but the knee area above the calf definitely seems more feminine and not as bulky as Superman's.

I can buy that she recorded a message to warn those in the future of who/what Darkseid is.

EDIT - I'm talking about the hologram message only, not the figure at the end. The figure at the end is totally Superman.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm shocked they would tease Martian Manhunter at the end like that.

This is somewhat unrelated, but can anyone explain why they're half and half on showing Superman returning? We all know he's returning.
They even used the S symbol in the poster. All the trailers and ads have been obvious as hell.
So why try to pass it off like they're being clever or like we're all going to be surprised when we see him? It's like the people who run all the ads and promotions for this movie are living in a bubble.

It's not really a problem, I just think it's fucking weird.

Ross61

I brushed the theory off as well, but then some people in the DCEU thread provided some info to back it up...

The prequel comic to Man of Steel, written by Synder, Johns, and Goyer states that Supergirl did in fact land on Earth thousands of years ago

http://dccomicsextendeduniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Man_of_Steel_Prequel

The hologram is coming from a Mother Box. How would Clark have a pre-recorded video message if he never knew about Mother Boxes?

While I was hesitant to believe this last one at first, the shape of the leg is pretty slim when you compare it to Cavilll's. The contour lines from the hologram aren't doing us any favors as it can trick the eye into slimming objects, but the knee area above the calf definitely seems more feminine and not as bulky as Superman's.

I can buy that she recorded a message to warn those in the future of who/what Darkseid is.

EDIT - I'm talking about the hologram message only, not the figure at the end. The figure at the end is totally Superman.
This is probably most definitely retconned tho. No way are they not adapting Supergirl for the big screen later on.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This is somewhat unrelated, but can anyone explain why they're half and half on showing Superman returning? We all know he's returning.
They even used the S symbol in the poster. All the trailers and ads have been obvious as hell.
So why try to pass it off like they're being clever or like we're all going to be surprised when we see him? It's like the people who run all the ads and promotions for this movie are living in a bubble.

I kind of like it. If they have the moxy to execute a complete Superman blackout up until release I would be thrilled. It's one thing to know he's in there but to get zero footage of him until you see the film would greatly affect his reemergence.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

I think it's just marketing. To the casual audience (aka 95% of the people watching these movies) they don't watch every trailer or look at every piece of news that comes out about these movies. To them, Superman is dead. Film makers and marketing team probably want his reveal to be the big WOW moment of the movie and if you show it off in trailers, you lose everything you were building up to.

I think it's just marketing. To the casual audience (aka 95% of the people watching these movies) they don't watch every trailer or look at every piece of news that comes out about these movies. To them, Superman is dead. Film makers and marketing team probably want his reveal to be the big WOW moment of the movie and if you show it off in trailers, you lose everything you were building up to.

But Superman is one of the main members of the Justice League. Whether you know because of comics or because of all the cartoons. The JL are just as famous as the 3 core members, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.
Also, the ground shakes at the end of BvS. 95% of movie goers can take a hint from something that obvious.

Top Bottom