• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Drama |OT| A Swoonworthy Community

near

Gold Member
Ks1Mtbd.png

A one stop thread for discussions concerning all things Korean dramas & movies of past and present.

The entire growth of South Korea’s economy stems from it’s significant investment in it’s entertainment industry, which it now exports globally in the form of K-Pop and K-Dramas. K-Dramas are South Korean produced television dramas, that have led to the ‘Korean Wave’ or ‘Hallyu’ - the global adoption of Korean pop culture. This is how good these dramas are!

Why Should You Tune In

It’s the same reason why Squid Game is the most watched show in Netflix history and why Parasite was the first foreign language film to win Best Picture. There is a brilliance in story telling and directing being demonstrated. Fascinatingly unique shows in a diverse array of genres, legal; medical; romance; historical; sci-fi; horror or a combination of all! Complimented with soundtracks that amplify your feelings. Being exposed to a different culture can really open up your perspective, and K-Dramas do just that, all the while being very entertaining. Join us and share your laughter, tears, joy and anger, it’ll be all worth it.

Critically Acclaimed Recommendations

Moving

m2bcTOe.png

"Seemingly typical high school students, bear extraordinary inherited powers. Bong Seok can fly, Hee Soo possesses exceptional athleticism and rapid injury recovery, and Gang Hoon wields uncanny strength and speed. As they conceal their gifts, their parents fight to shield them from exploitation by others, navigating a delicate balance between secrecy and protection."

Reply 1988
N1oWPpM.jpeg

"Five childhood friends, who all live in the same neighborhood of Seoul, lean on each other to survive their challenging teen years and set a path for their futures."

Hospital Playlist
ZkjhzEh.jpeg

"The stories of people going through their days are seemingly ordinary but actually special at the hospital, a place known as the microcosm of life, where someone is being born and someone's life meets its ending. The five doctors are long-time friends of 20 years who started their undergrad in 1999 in the same medical school and now are colleagues in the same hospital and have a band together."

Weak Class Hero
Y1VjRGI.jpeg

"Yeon Shi Eun is a model student who ranks at the top of his high school. Physically, Yeon Shi Eun appears weak, but by using his wits and psychology, he fights against the violence that takes place inside and outside of his school."

My Mister
YclPWRF.jpeg

I wouldn’t read the synopsis, just watch it, it’s quite emotional. :messenger_crying:

FAQs

What K-Drama should I start with?

This is a difficult question to answer, because just as there are many great dramas, there are many bad ones. It’s a good idea to start with a genre that interests you, find a highly rated one and take it from there. You will find many recommendations here and throughout this thread.

Where can I watch:
Courtesy of Reddit:
Streaming Site/Platform
Region
Free/Subscription
Notes
But do They Even Have The Heirs?!
USA, Canada​
Both​
Cinema (movies/films), anime, & television from South Korea, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, and more. Dramas are mostly web dramas, has a fairly extensive film catalogue.​
No Heirs here​
Global except Mainland China, Iran, North Korea, Russia and Syria​
Subscription​
Limited selection that varies by region. Some exclusives.​
Subscription​
Limited selection that varies by region. Some exclusives.​
No heirs here​
Hulu
USA​
Subscription​
Limited selection.​
No Heirs here​
Global​
Both​
Has exclusive licenses for some kdramas. Primarily Chinese shows, also has programming for kids, anime, and movies. Subtitles in multiple languages including English, Chinese, etc.​
No Heirs Here​
Both​
Based in USA, a joint venture by the broadcasting stations KBS, MBC, and SBS. English subs available on all content. Spanish and/or Portuguese subs available on some content. Limited selection of kdramas with Spanish dubs also available.​
Global​
Free​
Korean video hosting/streaming service. Selection of web dramas, unsubbed. Content may be region restricted.​
No, Heirs is not a web drama​
Global​
Subscription​
Selection varies depending on location. Has a collection of Netflix produced Korean Originals (Kingdom, Love Alarm, Extracurricular, Sweet Home, etc.), which are exclusively available on Netflix. Also has exclusive streaming licenses for some dramas broadcast on Korean broadcasting stations. Also has variety shows and movies.​
North America​
Both​
ODC has a limited selection of Korean content, dramas and movies, with English and/or Chinese subtitles. English subtitled content appear to be the same collection as the ones available on ODK.​
No Heirs here​
North & South America​
Both​
ODK has an extensive collection of content, including news programs, movies, and daily dramas, however many/most of their holdings do not have subtitles.​
No Heirs here​
Singapore​
Both​
Limited selection, dual audio available on some titles.​
No Heirs here​
Tubi
US, Canada, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand​
AVOD (Ad-supported video on demand) only​
Its kdrama catalogue is very limited but it has a decent-sized Korean film catalogue. Extensive device support (availability does vary by region). See supported devices in the US and supported devices outside of the US.​
No Heirs here​
Viki (Rakuten Viki)​
Global​
Both​
Content may be region restricted. Subtitles (in various languages) for majority of content are created by fansubbers, which are often considered the most helpful subtitles since translators will include notes to explain references/cultural aspects.​

Types of Drama Productions:
Most dramas are live productions, meaning that they’re airing as they’re being recorded. You may find some exceptions with ones that are produced by Netflix as they’re mostly pre-produced. They come in many different forms/lengths:

• Mini-series - the most popular form of dramas, 12-26 episodes, typically 40-50mins each. Most tend to be 16 episodes.​
  • Soap/daily dramas - 30min episodes, like western soaps, that air daily.​
  • Weekend/family dramas - these are long-form dramas that typically run up to 50 episodes​
  • Web dramas - these are short dramas 8-20mins long, and not very popular in the K-drama community​

Parental Advisory:
Korean’s are culturally conservative, you’ll have no worries having to look up parental guidance on the vast majority of dramas as they’re for the most part family friendly. This is also due to broadcasting regulations.

Tracking:
If you get hooked, you’ll soon be exposed the influx of new and regularly released dramas. A great tool for tracking upcoming and dramas you’ve watched is MyDramaList.

Thread Rules
Do not link to pirated sites! There are plenty of legal ways to watch K-Dramas now, and if you’re struggling to find which streaming service a particular show is on, just ask or visit the drama page of the show you’re looking for on MyDramaList and it’ll detail which streaming services it is available on.

Spoiler tags! It goes without saying, be considerate of those who haven’t seen an episode you’re on or the drama itself. You don’t have to spoiler tag your thoughts on a show or episode, just plot points regarding characters and narrative. If you break this rule, I will snitch like a bitch to our moderators!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My wife is a massive KDrama fan, so I've been roped into a few - but found that I really enjoy them!

A few of my own recommendations:

My Worst Neighbor
MV5BNTg2YWM1NGUtYTRiMC00ODAxLThjMDItOTVhYzY1OTUwNTEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjI4NDY5ODM@._V1_.jpg

Fun romantic comedy about a guy who rents an apartment that shares a wall with the love interest's art studio. Pretty similar setup to the Love is Blind TV show.

Delivery Man
Delivery_Man_%28TV_series%29.jpg

A taxi driver can suddenly see and talk to ghosts. He starts a new side hustle helping ghosts resolve their issues before passing on, in exchange for money or treasure or whatever they can give him.

near

Gold Member
My wife is a massive KDrama fan, so I've been roped into a few - but found that I really enjoy them!
Once you watch a couple it's easy to get hooked on them. I haven't seen any of your recommendations, I tend to say away from the out and out comedies since I haven't been able to enjoy the ones I've tried to get into in the past. I might give them another go once I run out of things to watch.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
My gf might actually be queen of K dramas, she’s seen so many… and thanks to her I’ve actually gotten sucked into a few of them.

Not sure if they count, but I really liked “Start Up” and “Forecasting Love and Weather”

Edit
Also, Backstreet Rookie had a novel ending

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
My gf might actually be queen of K dramas, she’s seen so many… and thanks to her I’ve actually gotten sucked into a few of them.

Not sure if they count, but I really liked “Start Up” and “Forecasting Love and Weather”

Edit
Also, Backstreet Rookie had a novel ending
Of course they count. I liked Start Up too, it's a proper feel good drama through and through.

Top Bottom