• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

ramyeon

Everything up to and including One Black Night hits hard, so good. After that it's more restrained with a couple of rap centric tracks and then ballads to the end but the last third has definitely grown on me upon further listening.

This is up there with Wonder World for me as their most consistent albums, and two of the best Kpop albums ever imo.

Reposting for the new page:
It's time! The Wonder Girls are back!

I Feel You MV

Off to listen to the album on repeat for the rest of the day now.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
ramyeon, now with the best avatar on GAF. Man I really need to sleep now. I am slain. SLAIN. This stuff is going to light the charts up so bad! I need a Hyerim or Yubin or a Yenny avatar so bad...Or shit...A Sunmi Full Moon avatar!

feist_

Banned
Kim Tae Hee 김태희와 용팔이~

*listens to Wonder Girls Reboot with an enormous amount of distracting noise in the background

10.gif

Yes.

Instantly fell in love with the hook for "Oppa" despite not caring for the verses."When Love Tries to Leave" is good stuff and "At This Moment" has some great vocal work from Yeeun and though I like it, can't help but wonder if they had pushed a bit further. As is, it's a chill song and feels like it will improve with further listens. Now imagine if they had more of an R&B feel like Force M.D.s - Love Is A House / The Jets - You Got It All, or a mellow power pop take like Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time / Martika - Toy Soldiers. No, I don't want near-literal carbon copies, only wondering what going in another direction would have resulted in. Still, I do like the last song in its current form.

Really like the album as a whole and while the beginning is undeniably strong, the last few songs have a nice, if different, wind down feel to them leading in to the closer. Can't even remember any part of the first rap track, and I do miss Sunye and Sohee, but the girls did a great job on this.

Now I'm tempted to hear some unofficial cover of The Human League - Don't You Want Me during a concert or variety show appearance. Lim could easily nail the waitress part without straining her limited vocals... but perhaps better not to butcher a classic, even if they did a light-hearted rendition.

Indeed.

Peru

Yenny is predictably delivering on the songwriting with Baby Don't Play and One Black Night. Hyerim is credited for lyrics and composition on Candle but I suppose it's mostly the rap parts. Oooh, track #10. Sunmi.

gatdamn, easily one of the best K-POP concerts I've been to. 11/10 would go again
if next year's lineup is good

Show started with some korean indy rock band sponsored by CJ Group from SK. Band wasn't advertised so no one expected them. I was wondering why there were instruments on stage, I was thinking maybe AOA Black will make an appearance :lol

JUN SUNG AHN was next. Playing a cover of Loser via Violin. Then did a sistar dance cover after.

Then there was a 20-30 mins wait before the main show and they were just playing songs through the speakers and crowd singing along to EXO, Miss A, BIG BANG, etc

Red Velvet was up next. Video doesnt show it, but before they popped up from the under the stage, Ice Cream Cake Intro came on the speakers and I literally had goosebumps.

Next song was Somethin Kinda Crazy. Then came the introductions and Joy got the biggest cheer of all. Joy>Seulgi>Wendy>Irene>Yeri in terms of cheers from the crowd.

Side note: Wendy totally trolling the LA crowd by wearing Oakland A's gear.

Then they mentioned they had a special song for their set and it was a cover song STICKWITU. Then ended their set list with Happiness.

Next up was Block B. Definitely got the loudest cheers/screams of the night. Not too familiar with their songs so no detailed description :p

Then two members of Shinhwa introduced AOA who came through the crowd, while 3(?) members came out of the Toyota Corolla parked next to the stage (concert was sponsored by Toyota after all :p ).

Heart Attack was the opener, then Short Hair. Then introductions followed. Choa getting the loudest cheers and everyone else getting somewhat loud cheers.

Crowd was loud as f*ck during AOA's set. Much louder than Red Velvet's. Except when they finished introductions and mentioned the next song was Confused, people were pun intended, confused. Confused not getting love from the LA Crowd :/

Next song was Like a Cat and crowd erupted like hell. Then they said their last song was Miniskirt (nice) and that was the end of their set.

When Zion T and Crush were being introduced, crowd went completely nuts. Even the ahjumma sitting next to me was going bananas.

First song was Just, then followed up with See Through. Then they did the introductions and Zion T mentioned that he brought a special guest to sing Yanghwa Bridge with him tonight and when it turned out to be Wendy I was pretty much:

tumblr_ltmrinYLW01qde5al.gif

Then just before Zion T finished up his set, Jimin out of nowhere with a short version of Puss totally caught us off guard but it was great.

Last song was Crush's Oasis where I pretty much lost my shit at this point. Crowd was totally into it.

Last but not the least, Shinhwa, pretty obvious headliner. I'll have to admit im not too familiar with their discography either but crowd was totally loving them too.

Once they're done, everyone is back on stage waving and dancing to a remix of everyones song performed that night, and there was a moment when Red Velvet went toward our side of the stage just being dorky and dancing to AOA's Heart Attack and ofc Ice Cream Cake

Loudest Reactions (most to least)

Block B
Zion T/Crush
AOA
Red Velvet
Shinhwa

And yes, all your favs and more were very pretty in person *_*

tl:dr im spent, and now I have no sleep for work in a few hours. All that and I haven't even watched the WG video yet. Sunmi pls

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
SUNMI'S VOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIICCCCEEEEEEEEE

OpfkvVe.gif

THIS WHOLE ALBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMM

XeR74mu.gif

ramyeon

On the off chance that any of you are able to pull yourselves away from the AOTY, T-ara performed their new song at a showcase tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLUxZFLdD8E

It's whatever. Not bad, not particularly good either. It's pretty uninspired.

Eunjung looks great.

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg0G24h9sJM

MR JKPOP review/reaction of I Feel You. Dude is spot on as usual. He really nailed it, instead of being a corny mishmash of 80s cliches all put together... this is a legit 80s song.

llehuty

Currently listening to Wonder Girls album, impressions soon.

샤벳 방송 - EP 50 (Shabet On Air Episode 50)
This one is from the amazing bnt Subin photoshoot. All my HNNNNGS, she is so hot.

[360 VR] Cheercoke(idol girl group) dance clip
I'm probably doing this wrong, but I spent the first playthrough looking at the guy behind the door.

For the oldschool korean music fans. A channel called RIAK (Recording industry association of korea), is uploading tons of very old korean MVs.
I clicked on some of them and they are terribad, but maybe there are some hidden gems/classics buried there.

Been watching Real Man old episodes, fun show for the most part. Also "Girl Group Bingo" was funny since they were screwing around naming all these groups from the early 90s and the ones popular now. Since this was like 2 years ago some girl says "AOA!" all the guys in the unit are all "ehhhh~" if only they could have seen into the future lol.

K1LLER7

Wonder Girls album is pretty good. At the moment fav tracks are 'Baby Don't Play' and 'Gone'.

Kpop has had a good year so far.

llehuty

Reboot is really reaaaaally good. It's true that at the end it slows down a bit, but I'll rather have those tracks grouped together there for when i feel like it instead or being distributed all over the album.

Really enjoying the 1-2-3 punch at the beginning, with "Candle" being the highlight. There are also some solid tracks in the middle. "Loved" chorus is the ultimate earworm. "One Black Night" dark synth during the verses is great.

Definitely going to buy the physical version of this.

There is really not a bad track in this and really saves this potentially f(x)-less year.

AND SUNMI

tumblr_nsh8n9TEof1u2ih1oo5_r1_400.gif

That smile at the end. #dead

Need the showcase footage NOW.

K1LLER7

Agreed, really dig they went all in on the 80s theme instead of just a title track came out great.
Yeah, wasn't expecting that. Like it!

All the "major" groups have had albums/Singles out already this year. I wonder who's left for the rest of the year. Also Kpop in general seems to be on a trend of 80s & 90s influenced music and I hope it stays!

ramyeon

Need the showcase footage NOW.
They did rearranged band versions of Tell Me and Nobody, as well as Baby Don't Play, I Feel You, Rewind and Back. All with live instruments. You can tell they're still a bit awkward on the stage with their instruments but it's really good stuff. Weird that it's not up on Youtube yet. There are so download links floating around I think.

Wonder Girls Vogue Korea photoshoot teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDbgBtyoqE

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So...likelihood of the Wonder Girls winning number one on music shows? I want them to win stuff. Like...WIN. Everything. That album is fucking love. I've converted a couple people who'd never listened to k-pop before.

So...likelihood of the Wonder Girls winning number one on music shows? I want them to win stuff. Like...WIN. Everything. That album is fucking love. I've converted a couple people who'd never listened to k-pop before.

Hopefully they get the recognition they deserve. It's weird because I hate everything about the 80s except korean/japanese music (and anime) but this is a really cool album. Gonna agree it kinda trips up at the end though. Not even bad songs, they are good, just the pace/tempo of the first half is very different. Almost like an album with a mini album attached lol.

ramyeon

Hopefully they get the recognition they deserve. It's weird because I hate everything about the 80s except korean/japanese music (and anime) but this is a really cool album. Gonna agree it kinda trips up at the end though. Not even bad songs, they are good, just the pace/tempo of the first half is very different. Almost like an album with a mini album attached lol.
Wtf? You prefer 80s Korean music over 80s Western music? You're insane. The 80s in Korea was conservative and boring as hell. Things didn't even begin to get interesting until Seo Taiji and the Boys started mixing things up in the early 90s.

The 80s in the West, however, was a gold mine of post-Punk, New Wave and Synth Pop. When it got bad, it got really bad, but the good stuff was amazing. New Order, Depeche Mode, The Cure, PiL, The Smiths, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Numan, Duran Duran, Orchestral Manoeuvres, Cocteau Twins... Bowie had a handful of okay to decent songs in the 80s too (70s was way better). The list goes on.

---

Out on iTunes with a Digital Booklet now. Bought it again so I can get the booklet, now I've paid for this album 3 times :/

Wtf? You prefer 80s Korean music over 80s Western music? You're insane. The 80s in Korea was conservative and boring as hell. Things didn't even begin to get interesting until Seo Taiji and the Boys started mixing things up in the early 90s.

The 80s in the West, however, was a gold mine of post-Punk, New Wave and Synth Pop. When it got bad, it got really bad, but the good stuff was amazing. New Order, Depeche Mode, The Cure, PiL, The Smiths, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Numan, Duran Duran, Orchestral Manoeuvres, Cocteau Twins... Bowie had a handful of okay to decent songs in the 80s too (70s was way better). The list goes on.

Thank you for making my point. Haha.

But not so much 80's korean, but more that early 90s I guess, Japanese music though during the late 80s was pretty dang OP. Not talking about the "similar to what people think about 80's music" stuff entirely, more into the medium tempo stuff.

ramyeon

Thank you for making my point. Haha.

But not so much 80's korean, but more that early 90s I guess, Japanese music though during the late 80s was pretty dang OP. Not talking about the "similar to what people think about 80's music" stuff entirely, more into the medium tempo stuff.
You hate all of those artists I listed? That's pretty much blasphemous, man :(

Weird that you'd hate the sound of the 80s so much but like this, since this is about as authentic 80s pop as it gets in this day and age.

---

Videos of the showcase. Poor quality, it was broadcast on that stupid streaming app they're pushing now.

Tell Me (Band Version)
Baby Don't Play
Nobody (Band Version)
Back
Rewind
I Feel You

I love that they're playing more raw versions of the songs for the live stages! It's perfect! They're nailing everything about this concept. And I hope this allows people to realise that being a "band" doesn't mean you have to be pigeonholed into a specific type of sound.

You hate all of those artists I listed? That's pretty much blasphemous, man :(

Weird that you'd hate the sound of the 80s so much but like this, since this is about as authentic 80s pop as it gets in this day and age.

I know its weird lol. I can't stand actual 80s stuff but all the inspired by stuff I dig. I think it might be more the people and visuals of the time that I hate in all honesty lol. I might actually dig the music if I actually looked.

jokkir

Haven't drawn in a while but here's Choi Minsik for you guys. I'm thinking of drawing Taeyeon or something soon but not sure.

Also, ramyeon, what good songs have you listened to recently? Havent been in this thread in a while and running out of new music to listen to :'(

ramyeon

Haven't drawn in a while but here's Choi Minsik for you guys. I'm thinking of drawing Taeyeon or something soon but not sure.

Also, ramyeon, what good songs have you listened to recently? Havent been in this thread in a while and running out of new music to listen to :'(

Korean Indie scene has been a bit dry for the past couple of months tbh. Ggotjam Project's latest album (An OST they did for an online drama) is pretty good. Also really dug Lucite Tokki's Wallflower. Also Annyeong Hahin Gayoung's latest single. Casker also released a new digital single, and Sesame Seed & Cotton Candy's latest album is one of my favourites this year, just a few from the last couple of months.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Phenomal drawing of an outstanding actor. You have talent!

jokkir

Korean Indie scene has been a bit dry for the past couple of months tbh. Ggotjam Project's latest album (An OST they did for an online drama) is pretty good. Also really dug Lucite Tokki's Wallflower. Also Annyeong Hahin Gayoung's latest single. Casker also released a new digital single, and Sesame Seed & Cotton Candy's latest album is one of my favourites this year, just a few from the last couple of months.

Awesome, thanks! Will give those a listen.

As for the Wonder Girls album, I like it. Songs that stand out so far are Back and Oppa (fun song) and will definitely give the album more listens.

But a lot of it reminds me of Humming Urban Stereo and I feel like Humming Urban Stereo did the 90s pop sound better. But whatever, they're both good and really liking the sound so far and again, will listen to it more.

ramyeon

Awesome, thanks! Will give those a listen.

As for the Wonder Girls album, I like it. Songs that stand out so far are Back and Oppa (fun song) and will definitely give the album more listens.

But a lot of it reminds me of Humming Urban Stereo and I feel like Humming Urban Stereo did the 90s pop sound better. But whatever, they're both good and really liking the sound so far and again, will listen to it more.
Yo this is way more 80s than it is 90s. Didn't really remind me much of HUS personally. Interesting that Back and OPPA stand out to you most, those took me a couple of listens to appreciate compared to the other tracks.

jokkir

Yo this is way more 80s than it is 90s. Didn't really remind me much of HUS personally. Interesting that Back and OPPA stand out to you most, those took me a couple of listens to appreciate compared to the other tracks.

I feel it's a mix of both 90s and 80s. Yeah, those probably stand out because they're closer to the end of the album and they were more fresh lol. I'll listen to it again

Videos of the showcase. Poor quality, it was broadcast on that stupid streaming app they're pushing now.

Tell Me (Band Version)
Baby Don't Play
Nobody (Band Version)
Back
Rewind
I Feel You

These "band versions" tho...

Yeah, they're definitely relatively new at this. But that doesn't take away from the fact that they actually know how to play instruments. Especially Yubin, her drumming is actually consistent add to the fact that she's actually rapping on top of it... she just ascended goddess status imo.

I'm barely able to hold a consistent beat if I'm drumming and singing at the same, and I've been drumming since Rock Band 1 came out lol.

Anyway, I finally got the chance to listen to the album on the way to work this morning and here's my thoughts.

Everything but the last song is fantastic, and the only reason why is coz the last song just came out of left field imo. Regardless, that's 11/12, when's the last time a K-Pop album consistently delivered hits in succession? Maybe Pink Tape, maybe lol.

Anyway, my favorites are Rewind, Faded Love and I Feel You... mainly because they are true throwbacks to the 80's with the synths, the bass lines, and the drum machines. If you told me those songs came out in the 80's, I might actually believe you. The only thing that gives them away is the clarity of sound. But that's not even a complaint lol.

Gone is also a fave, it reminds me of a very early 90's R&B track that I can't place my head on. I know for sure it's a track from SWV but I don't remember the title.

Also I agree with some on the album being a mix of 80's and 90's. But technically, it's early 90's like Gone and the early 90's were pretty much an extension of the 80's until 1995 at least. So yeah, it's kinda 90's but technically it's not lol.

Top Bottom