• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaiju Combat Kickstarter 2.0 from the team behind Atari Godzilla games ($100k goal)

Mr. Strange

Neo Member
Kicktraq is now showing this as trending towards making it's goal. Here's hoping!

Fun fact - We earned $19,500 in our first 24 hours.

Then we earned $15,500 over the following 18 days - putting us at $35,000 last Thursday.

In the 7 days since then we've earned an additional $48,000.

We have 1 week (and 2 hours) left!

A little under $1000 left. Will be funded tonight most likely. Mr. Strange, does your team have an ETA you can mention on an ingame trailer or prototype video of some sort, beyond character animation?

Poyunch

Jesus, it would suck if this failed again after being successfully "funded" for a bit. I'm not interested in the game but good luck. :/

jett

D-Member
Ah poor guys, must be disheartening. You should pimp your game in every Pacific Rim related news story. :p Five days left, I think you can still do it! I do hope though that 100k is enough to make the game you want.

Ah poor guys, must be disheartening. You should pimp your game in every Pacific Rim related news story. :p Five days left, I think you can still do it! I do hope though that 100k is enough to make the game you want.

That actually sounds like a good idea, but do it across multiple Pacific Rim related websites.

Poyunch

I'm assuming either they were placeholders to get people willing to kickstart something that had a healthy amount of support or they were squatters using it for "bragging rights" and bailed when it actually passed the mark and they had to pay up.

NEO0MJ

I'm assuming either they were placeholders to get people willing to kickstart something that had a healthy amount of support or they were squatters using it for "bragging rights" and bailed when it actually passed the mark and they had to pay up.

We actually heard stories about some of the big backers here. I think it was in the prev. page.

DiscoJer

The same thing happened in that Sportsfriends KS, the $10,000 guy backed out. I don't think it was ever unfunded, but people really bailed after it was.

Mr. Strange

Neo Member
Good news - we've replaced nearly $10,000 in less than 24 hours after having the funds pulled. With 4-5 days left, we're still well on track.

But of course people want to know - "what happened?"

We're calling this "The Kaidra Incident." A member of the Kaiju community - "Blackout" - has this character named Kaidra. People love the character. Blackout was paying $500 in the first kickstarter to have Kaidra put into the game. This time around, he wasn't able to afford it. (He still had a smaller pledge)

Around December 5th, we had a random $10,000 pledge. The backer wrote a cryptic message : "this is for Kaidra, from his fans." I contacted the backer, and he said that he had pooled together money from a bunch of Blackout's friends to make a big pledge. A few days later, a second $10,000 pledge came in.

The community was very excited - and we had some votes on how to handle it.

Then yesterday, as you know, both $10,000 pledges disappeared. Blackout was initially uncommunicative, but has since come forth with "I don't know what happened - I thought the money was all taken care of..."

We have no solid information, but probably one of a few things is going on here:

1 - Blackout made these fake pledges - possibly thinking that they would be symbolic (because he thought we wouldn't meet our goal) or thinking that they would help encourage other investors.

2 - Blackout is telling the truth, and a friend of his made these pledges. In that case the pledges were probably insincere - for one of the same two reasons. Big difference between this and case #1? In this case Blackout feels like total crap.

3 - Everyone is telling the truth, and the money will be re-pledged.

I have a personal opinion about which of these is more likely, but it doesn't really matter. Whether or not we get mad at anyone doesn't change the fact that we're still promoting Kaiju Combat, and we're still going to get it funded. We can deal with the fallout of Blackout's relationship with the community later.

ultrazilla

Think I'll bump up my pledge another $8. :)

Getting really close guys, let's do this!

Mr. Strange-have you contacted Tsuburaya (owners of Ultraman for those
that don't know). I'm curious what kind of money they want for licensing
him.

Oh and Giant Robot from Johnny Sokko. That would be epic!

Lenbo

Neo Member
How about some more lovely character art? This is DragonLotus:
kc-dragonlotus-hero-small.jpg

Learn more about her here:

https://kaijucombat.wiki.zoho.com/DragonLotus.html

TreIII

The BS surrounding the whole "Kaidra" thing is an interesting story to say the least.

But thankfully, it looks like nothing will now stand in the way of this game being made. And I REALLY like Dragon Lotus' design!

Aren't you lucky that Sunstone Games makes all their finances public!

The studio has taken $200,000 in bank loans (lines of credit actually, so we only pay interest on what we actually use - if we can exceed our $100,000 Kickstarter goal that means less to pay back in interest.) Kickstarter + CC fees take 10% of funds raised - so our minimal working capital as of Jan 1 is $290k.

Engineering: licensing Spigot from Pipeworks: $25,000. Engineering support from Pipeworks: $75,000. (6 months, spread through the 9 month production cycle.)

Our engineering needs (and thus costs) are incredibly low - because we're using an engine which was literally designed for us to build exactly this sort of game.

Animation + Modeling: $80,000 - this is mostly an internal cost, but we might dip into some outsourcing of animations, because "more monsters" is the first addition people will want.

Environments: $5,000 - we're staying away from earth cities initially - we'll focus on those in a later release. Very possibly our second.

Kickstarter rewards fulfillment: $22,000 - all that original monster meeting & concepting time ends up costing us a bunch.

Community maintenance: $2,000 - forums, website, and admin costs.

Software licensing: $5,000 - mostly video & modeling software.

Audio FX & Music: $15,000 - internal

Particle FX: $5,000 - internal

UI: $5,000 - internal

Monster Assembly & fight engine development: $30,000 (this is what I pay myself)

TOTAL: $269,000. So we have a $20,000 buffer, plus whatever we raise over our baseline budget.

Hopefully that makes our value proposition a bit more sensible!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14214732/kaiju-combat-giant-monsters-awesome-fighting-onlin

And our forums are always a great place for questions, or to reveiew the current design discussions:

http://kaijucombat.com/community/index.php

I appreciate you being transparent, if not at all upfront about this.

Mr. Strange

Neo Member
Still almost 3 days left to get in on the campaign. And we've announced that paypal pre-orders will be live soon, along with a merch store where you can buy figurines of our original characters!

I look at these monster designs and I really really want to see them Rubbersuiterised. I would back another Kickstarter just to get a movie made in the style of the recent Godzilla movies with all of these new Monsters in them. It would be awesome, they could make it like Final Wars just without all the stupid human stuff (although keep random English guy with big sword speaking English while everyone else speaks Japanese).

Snaku

Banned
I look at these monster designs and I really really want to see them Rubbersuiterised. I would back another Kickstarter just to get a movie made in the style of the recent Godzilla movies with all of these new Monsters in them. It would be awesome, they could make it like Final Wars just without all the stupid human stuff (although keep random English guy with big sword speaking English while everyone else speaks Japanese).

Perhaps Jame Rolfe would be interested in such a concept after he's done with the AVGN Movie. He's a huge Godzilla fan.

Thought it might be worth pointing out and posting this here, the Kickstarter page has been reopened and updates will be posted there again. They've renamed it Colossal Kaiju Combat after that Wizards of the Cost mess.

JDSN

Banned
Im glad they finally get to fully start production, I wish great success to them after all this problems.

Im glad they finally get to fully start production, I wish great success to them after all this problems.
There was a video posted, they've been hard at work on it since the page got hidden, apparently lots of progress has been made to the game since it got hidden. Really can't wait for this to come out, going to be epic.

RM8

Did they really have to change the name so drastically because of copyright issues? Bleh, who cares, still looking forward to this :D

Top Bottom