• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaldaien's Nier Mod has an anti-piracy check - People got mad

This isn't about pirating the game, Kale' made a mod that allowed for alt resolutions that weren't supported by bass game.

I think it is about pirating the game, actually. I'm actually kind of confused how it ends up not being about pirating the game considering the whole point of the thread is exactly that.

Blam

It is a mod. You can still pirate the Game as its cracked. You just cant use the mod.

Oh I understand just doing something like this isn't ethically right. He doesn't need to throw his personal opinions about who he thinks should be able to play the game using his mod. Because I'm guaranteeing someone else is working on a clone which isn't gonna have these checks in it.

tuxfool

Banned
Oh I understand just doing something like this isn't ethically right. He doesn't need to throw his personal opinions about who he thinks should be able to play the game using his mod. Because I'm guaranteeing someone else is working on a clone which isn't gonna have these checks in it.

His software. He is well within his rights to even only distribute it to people he likes.

Let somebody else do the work to remove those checks.

Kthulhu

It's his code, why shouldn't he?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

It's not ethically right to block people who pirated the game from using your mod?

What.

Fularu

Banned
So he punishes people who got rid of the Denuvo crap by blanket labeling them as pirates?

Yeah that's smart...

That's concerning. Is the mod communicating with a server?

that's most likely..
another option is that kaiden fingerprints the pc that runs the mod, and instead of doing a "you got the edited steam dll file, you cannot go on", send a feedback to a remote server, and then kaiden adds to the code of the mod itself a check that if the fingerprint of the currentcomputer is one of those using the modified dll, screw you...
but that unless it's bullshit, it's most likely the way you propose.. more hassle free :)

Why shouldn't he be allowed to "throw his personal opinions" around on a piece of code he made for free in his spare time that benefits others? If he wants to make it a little harder for pirates to use his mod, fine by me. Going from other posts it sounds like it isn't particularly hard to get it to work with cracked copies, but yeah that involves someone else having to do the work. Which most of the pirates complaining in the thread didn't want to.

He could stand to be less rude and a "feed the trolls" type on Steam forums but that's about all I have to disagree with, since it seems no one in that Steam thread has been able to prove any wrongdoing (secret deletion of important files seems to be what people were accusing).

Blam

His software. He is well within his rights to even only distribute it to people he likes.

Let somebody else do the work to remove those checks.

It's not ethically right to block people who pirated the game from using your mod?

What.

It's his code, why shouldn't he?

Well for starters he's not the one who made the game so he shouldn't be policing something like this. Then comes the time when it stops working on steam copies because for some reason the steam_api.dll gets updated and then it stops working. Then what about the people who decide to crack their games after purchasing to remove needing to be online to run the game. (Steam will sometimes bug out and make you go online to play it at least once in a while). When he discontinues it, and it breaks why would people need to go through the extra effort to fix something which shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

Why shouldn't he be allowed to "throw his personal opinions" around on a piece of code he made for free in his spare time that benefits others? If he wants to make it a little harder for pirates to use his mod, fine by me. Going from other posts it sounds like it isn't particularly hard to get it to work with cracked copies, but yeah that involves someone else having to do the work. Which most of the pirates complaining in the thread didn't want to.

He could stand to be less rude and a "feed the trolls" type on Steam forums but that's about all I have to disagree with, since it seems no one in that Steam thread has been able to prove any wrongdoing (secret deletion of important files seems to be what people were accusing).

I mean personally I've seen this happen before when someone adds some sort of check or DRM then just about instantly someone else has made an alternative with none of those in it. He's just calling for this to happen doing something like this.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Well for starters he's not the one who made the game so he shouldn't be policing something like this. Then comes the time when it stops working on steam copies because for some reason the steam_api.dll gets updated and then it stops working. Then what about the people who decide to crack their games after purchasing to remove needing to be online to run the game. (Steam will sometimes bug out and make you go online to play it at least once in a while). When he discontinues it, and it breaks why would people need to go through the extra effort to fix something which shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

He's only blocking people from using his own mod, not blocking people being able to play the game. Not sure what you're on.

Don't like it, don't use his mod.

tuxfool

Banned

They can still play the game, they just can't use his mod vanilla.

Well for starters he's not the one who made the game so he shouldn't be policing something like this. Then comes the time when it stops working on steam copies because for some reason the steam_api.dll gets updated and then it stops working. Then what about the people who decide to crack their games after purchasing to remove needing to be online to run the game. (Steam will sometimes bug out and make you go online to play it at least once in a while).

You dont need to be online to play that game...

Blam

He's only blocking people from using his own mod, not blocking people being able to play the game. Not sure what you're on.

Don't like it, don't use his mod.

They can still play the game, they just can't use his mod vanilla.

He's still blocking people from playing the game if they want to use his mod, regardless if you can play it still without his mod.

You dont need to be online to play that game...

I know you don't. I'm saying very rarely. Steam will bug out and force you to go online at least once in a blue moon or it just logs you out for no reason. Some people will crack their games for the sake of convenience so they don't need to worry about that.

I mean personally I've seen this happen before when someone adds some sort of check or DRM then just about instantly someone else has made an alternative with none of those in it. He's just calling for this to happen doing something like this.

The mod is open-source. The mod is open-source. The mod is open-source.
If he discontinues it someone else will fix it. There are people "fixing" it right now. That's the beauty of open source, he can do whatever he wants to. Don't agree with something he did? Fork it.

He's still blocking people from playing the game if they want to use his mod, regardless if you can play it still without his mod.

That's like whining that Neogaf bans people that admit to pirating a game. "B-but they have the right to discuss it!"

No one paid a cent for his mod, Kaldaien doesn't need to do something he doesn't wants to.

tuxfool

Banned

People are not entitled to use his mod. As I noted before his software, his choice.

He could make a mod that breaks everybody's computer, it would be malicious but again well within his rights, people would just not use it, they're not entitled to it.

Blam

The mod is open-source. The mod is open-source. The mod is open-source.
If he discontinues it someone else will fix it. There are people "fixing" it right now. That's the beauty of open source, he can do whatever he wants to. Don't agree with something he did? Fork it.

Ok didn't mean to push your buttons, I don't even know why this thread exists if the mod is open source. Why are people even complaining then?

Besides it being open source my point still stand I don't think it's a right thing to do either way.

If the new Denuvo wouldnt be cracked, you couldnt even play it at all.

I bought it so it wouldn't matter to me if it got cracked.

Fularu

Banned
People are not entitled to use his mod. As I noted before his software, his choice.

He could make a mod that breaks everybody's computer, it would be malicious but again well within his rights, people would just not use it, they're not entitled to it.
Actually no he can't make a mod that breaks everyone's computer and be "within his rights "

Does the mod check if you've removed Denuvo or if you own the game?
To crack the game you have to tamper with both the executable and the steam api. You can't "just remove denuvo"

ViolentP

If he is supplementing a game with a mod and he wants to put restriction on piracy when doing so, he has all the right to. Simple as that. It's fine if it upsets some people, I get it. Doesn't make him wrong though.

Well for starters he's not the one who made the game so he shouldn't be policing something like this.

His mod, his rules. You can play the game w/o it if you want.

Then comes the time when it stops working on steam copies because for some reason the steam_api.dll gets updated and then it stops working. Then what about the people who decide to crack their games after purchasing to remove needing to be online to run the game. (Steam will sometimes bug out and make you go online to play it at least once in a while). When he discontinues it, and it breaks why would people need to go through the extra effort to fix something which shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

Assuming he does stop supporting the mod at that point, why is it such a huge deal for people who think the mod is important to continue to update and support it if they feel it has value? What if the mod stops working for any other reason and he doesn't feel like updating it? It's open source so people can look at the code and do whatever to it. I don't think he's even that concerned with locking pirates out forever and ever, since posting the code like that encourages people to make alterations. But most of the pirates playing this won't want to jump through that hoop and will sit around until someone else does it.

It's a dude making a mod in his spare time for no compensation. If he could magically check whether you were wearing a shirt that was his favorite color first and make the mod not work based on that, I'd think it's weird as fuck and probably not use his mod unaltered but I wouldn't say he's violating some ethic principle by doing so.

Edit: It's even been altered to work with cracked versions already so this line of argument is a lot of to-do about not much. It's apparently not that hard at all.

FZeroRacer

Neo Member

Uh no, it would not be well within his rights. It would be a violation of the law if people were not informed as to what the mod was doing before they installed it.

tuxfool

Banned
Actually no he can't make a mod that breaks everyone's computer and be "within his rights "

Yeah it is. You don't have to download a piece of software. As I noted it would be malicious and people would certainly be within their rights to be angry about it, but nobody forced them to do it.

Uh no, it would not be well within his rights. It would be a violation of the law if people were not informed as to what the mod was doing before they installed it.

Just like they are being informed right now what his mod is doing...

ezodagrom

So some people got mad and two people spammed his feedback thread and Kaldaien also banned them somehow from using the mod.
Not related to FAR, those 2 people have been banned from all of his mods for quite a long time.

That's concerning. Is the mod communicating with a server?
There's no online authentication for the mod, it only verifies if the steam_api.dll file is legitimate.
Well, it does communicate with a server, to verify if there's updates for the mod.

Yeah it is. You don't have to download a piece of software.

Fair enough but shouldn't Valve and Square Enix know how he's using their API and their forums which his thread is stickied on?

I don't think Valve would be fine with him weaponizing their API to target specific SteamIDs

Fularu

Banned
It does, but the most recent version of Denuvo has now been cracked, so NieR has been pirated.
I know, I'm saying I would use the cracked version without denuvo over the store one any day of the week (while still having purchased the game mind you).

The way people are applauding what Kalaiden is doing to people he dislikes is dumb as hell. Surely this won't set a precedent and infect modding communities like ARMA and Bethesda games that totally aren't known for community drama.

Blam

Assuming he does stop supporting the mod at that point, why is it such a huge deal for people who think the mod is important to continue to update and support it if they feel it has value? What if the mod stops working for any other reason and he doesn't feel like updating it? It's open source so people can look at the code and do whatever to it. I don't think he's even that concerned with locking pirates out forever and ever, since posting the code like that encourages people to make alterations. But most of the pirates playing this won't want to jump through that hoop and will sit around until someone else does it.

It's a dude making a mod in his spare time for no compensation. If he could magically check whether you were wearing a shirt that was his favorite color first and make the mod not work based on that, I'd think it's weird as fuck and probably not use his mod unaltered but I wouldn't say he's violating some ethic principle by doing so.

I understand what you're saying but like I said before doesn't matter if it's open source he's still done it, and it's more that he's gone this far to create a anti-piracy check, and even sabotaging specific users from using it as well.

ezodagrom

I don't think Valve would be fine with him weaponizing their API to target specific SteamIDs
He didn't block people that have insulted him, he didn't block people that he disagrees with, all he did was block 2 people a long time ago that spammed his topics and got in the way of him replying to people that actually needed help with his mods, how can this be called "weaponizing"?

prudislav

damn this guy is a bit overkill :-D not really fan judging from his steam posts , also seems like he is sitting on forums 24/7 :-O

Top Bottom