• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaldaien's Nier Mod has an anti-piracy check - People got mad

Wonko_C

Can you spoiler tag.
That ending was one of more powerful moments I've experienced in a game, I'd rather if others didn't get spoiled on it.

Sorry about that, I fixed it in my post. I haven't played the game to that point yet, so I don't want to get myself spoiled either.

Isn't this thing open source? making all of this is pointless posturing and anger.

Yeah, but you know, some people don't even know what that means and are contacting SquareEnix and Valve over a optional mod that isn't endorsed by neither. The whole situation is pretty dumb

Coreda

One issue with this would be people who own the game but also want to keep a DRM-free version (since apparently Denuvo has been circumvented). Going back to the Crysis 1 days I had cracks for the main binary due to the DRM, despite owning the game on the disc. A similar case here would likely be detected as piracy.

I realize it's probably a small use case. Would adding the regular Steam DLL from the original install to a different directory validate the mod in such a scenario?

Wonko_C

Why hasn't there been an uproar about blood ghosts in souls games !?!?!?!?

Same reason. The final ending
pulls data from other people
. Like the entire game - again, like the Souls blood ghosts. You see corpses of other players lying around everywhere. It's something you literally can't achieve offline.

But you can play through the entirety of souls offline if you want to, right? (I haven't played any Souls so I don't know) Nier's sounds more like an online check to me.

ghostjoke

Banned
Yeah, but you know, some people don't even know what that means and are contacting SquareEnix and Valve over a optional mod that isn't endorsed by neither. The whole situation is pretty dumb

Jeez, i want to see those emails. Denuvo can burn for all I care, but the idea of asking them to crack down on a modder who is fixing their games for putting in an anti-piracy mea... my head hurts.

Izuna

Banned
Well fuck the spoilers in this thread.

And yes, pirates of this game are morons. Like, come the hell on.

One issue with this would be people who own the game but also want to keep a DRM-free version (since apparently Denuvo has been circumvented). Going back to the Crysis 1 days I had cracks for the main binary due to the DRM, despite owning the game on the disc. A similar case here would likely be detected as piracy.

I realize it's probably a small use case. Would adding the regular Steam DLL from the original install to a different directory validate the mod in such a scenario?
The only DRM the mod validates is the Steam DRM so yes it would. And even if it didn't you could just easily use the source code delete some lines and make it work without validating anything.

nynt9

But you can play through the entirety of souls offline if you want to, right? (I haven't played any Souls so I don't know) Nier's sounds more like an online check to me.

It's not an online check. You have no idea.
It also thematically ties into the game.
There is no outrage to be had here.

Wonko_C

It is possible to get it offline

It is? because I've heard otherwise. NVM. I guess the answer to that would spoil it for me entirely.

It's not an online check. You have no idea.
It also thematically ties into the game.
There is no outrage to be had here.

Guess I'll see for myself when I get there, then. Thanks.

I'll remain confused by what Cyanity said until then, though. :p

nynt9

It is? because I've heard otherwise. NVM. I guess the answer to that would spoil it for me entirely.

Guess I'll see for myself when I get there, then. Thanks.

I'll remain confused by what Cianity said until then, though. :p

Let me just say that you'll have a better experience if you play it online
, and you'll miss the point if you don't. It's not a deal breaker, but it loses a lot of its impact. It has a multiplayer element like souls blood ghosts, but more thematically relevant.

Vamphuntr

Is he? I've had complaints about changes he made to TZFix (which resulted in bad performance drops on my end) and he responded by calmly explaining his reasoning for the changes made, he's always quick to respond if you have a question too

I did too and he called me for no understanding how it worked and that I was an idiot until he figured it out it was an issue for real. There was a version where the frame rate would basically falls to zero because of some water animation. Guy is gifted with computers but doesn't seem like a nice person to hang out with.

Its interesting this backlash has coincided with the official crack being released. I would say its correlated.

And you're not wrong, the forum was flooded when that happened with people complaining that the mod wasn't working and the drama begun when he stated that he indeed was validating if the copy is valid or not.

Iorv3th

Would you take the same stance if a commercial game used Steamworks to target specific users the studio took issue with ? They could just not buy the game.

It's not the same at all. He had 2 people spam his threads with 100s of posts that were advocating piracy and he blocked them.

This is just a free mod anyway. So far people that have paid for the game are not effected negatively. Only users who pirated the game are. And the only negative for them is time spent reinstalling the cracked version.

It's pretty normal for people in hacking scenes to make big performative shows of morality-policing with their work, and also to behave somewhat childishly in response to criticism. I don't think either is worthy of any praise whatsoever, but releasing the source code for the mod ensures both are more symbolic gestures than true limitations anyway so it doesn't seem like a big issue.

Nillansan

Kaldaien is a dick anyhow.

Because of how he acts on Steam forums. He's an egomaniacal man-child.

damn this guy is a bit overkill :-D not really fan judging from his steam posts , also seems like he is sitting on forums 24/7 :-O

This is why we can't have nice things.

He doesn't need to throw his personal opinions about who he thinks should be able to play the game using his mod.

The idiocy demonstrated in this thread is mind boggling.

It doesn't. At the end of the day it's just people who pirated the game whining.

Yup.

It's pretty normal for people in hacking scenes to make big performative shows of morality-policing with their work, and also to behave somewhat childishly in response to criticism. I don't think either is worthy of any praise whatsoever, but releasing the source code for the mod ensures both are more symbolic gestures than true limitations anyway so it doesn't seem like a big issue.
I think the act itself is worthy of praise. Start adding other elements in the mix for consideration though, like modder's personality and reaction m, and I can agree...it starts to get a little hazy.

People complaining about denuvo but still buying games that ship with it are hypocrites. Especially for trying to pass the blame off onto a modder. Why are you buying nier if you're so against drm practices? Just don't play it. Send a messsge.

People complaining about denuvo but still buying games that ship with it are hypocrites. Especially for trying to pass the blame off onto a modder. Why are you buying nier if you're so against drm practices? Just don't play it. Send a messsge.
Not buying Nier would likely send the message that PC ports of platinum games aren't worth their time.

It's much more pragmatic to financially support a game you want to play, and still publicly post on a forum about your displeasure of a specific piece of anti-DRM software in hopes that the publisher will get the message.

Tell me if this sounds ludicrous.

ghostjoke

Banned
The user that did that posted here in this thread too, he's been spreading alot of misinformation around.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=236214204&postcount=102

Now my head really hurts.

I get that it sucks that a mod's creator would put all uses of a crack into the piracy category as someone who feels more at ease knowing that there will always be a version of a game that doesn't need authentication. But as it's open source mod, meh. I'm sure if I (and I probably will knowing my past) encounter a DRM issue, there will be an alternate version of the mod floating around.

Both sides seem childish, but I'll fall back on my "don't be an ass to the people doing free shit to make your experience better" philosophy. He might deserve criticism for how he acts generally but that's separate from this altogether trivial matter.

If you're going to complain about this, complain about it to someone who actually cares. Hint, not Valve or Square, and seemingly not Steam or GAF going by a lot of the responses. Maybe nobody cares. Also, stop using malware and weaponizing so loosely.

Do you considering me using your post ID a weaponization of it?

Not buying Nier would likely send the message that PC ports of platinum games aren't worth their time.

It's much more pragmatic to financially support a game you want to play, and still publicly post on a forum about your displeasure of a specific piece of anti-DRM software in hopes that the publisher will get the message.

Support Bayo day 1. Support Nier after crack is released. This is the logic I've been working on. I should get around to that second part.

Nezacant

This thread is also ignoring how he's using the Steam API to target specific users and crash their game.

In your post on the steam forums you mention:
Dictionary definition of malware
software that is intended to damage or disable computers and computer systems.

His application neither damages or disables a computer system.

Classifying a blacklist in his software as malware would mean that applications like punkbuster, VAC, DRM, etc are also malware. He had two names of griefers who were intentionally attempting to block his ability to support other players with legitimate issues. So he blocked them from using his software. I don't see anything wrong with this. It's his software, he can do what he wants. It's free. You don't have to use it. On top of that, the software he provides and supports is completely open source. Anyone can just modify it (and they already have).

Head.spawn

Unless there is some non-Steam version floating around, I don't understand how this is a problem for anyone.

I couldn't even almost feel slightly compelled to feel bad for anyone pirating this title.

johntown

Banned
Seems un-necessary to include that in a mod. It is his mod and his choice of course but why add something into his mod that is really not needed or his job?

I don't support PC game piracy but I agree with the people who got mad. Why add it in the first place? What is the point?

I am sure someone will add a version with that removed and I am sure it would not be too hard for anyone to modify his mod to remove that option.

ezodagrom

Seems un-necessary to include that in a mod. It is his mod and his choice of course but why add something into his mod that is really not needed or his job?

I don't support PC game piracy but I agree with the people who got mad. Why add it in the first place? What is the point?

I am sure someone will add a version with that removed and I am sure it would not be too hard for anyone to modify his mod to remove that option.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=236215923&postcount=127

petran79

Banned
If Denuvo allows Nier to be played offline, this shouldnt be an issue. Offline meaning no Internet connection at all.
However if Denuvo blocks offline play, I'd be against it as a buyer

jacobeid

Banned
Regardless of how you feel about the modder, the fact that we have people complaining about a free mod for a game they stole is entirely laughable and pretty much the definition of the age of Internet entitlement.

Pretty easy to not steal things.

Honestly, no I see your point. still, if this were a major issue for consumers, you'd see sales of drm free games skyrocket and protected ones dwindle and fail.

I personally find the crusade against drm to be a bit ridiculous. I was always under the assumption that you don't own a game anyway but a liscence to use the product on the specified platform. I've never personally been impacted by DRM. For a while there was an argument that dunevo in particluar could cause performance issues in games but that doesn't really seem to be the case anymore.

There's also something to be said for sticking to your principles. I personally absolutely do not support practices that I consider harmful or anti consumer, no matter how much I love a particular developer or want to see their game on my platform of choice. It's why I won't buy any call of duty games even though black ops 3 was my first cod and I loved it. Too much anti consumer bullshit. To each his own but personally my principles are more important and judging from the righteous indignation people express on here about denuvo I'm surprised people are buying the game.

Also, I have to admit I was kind of making a sly reference to those who are just wanting to pirate the game but throwing a fit because of a few hurdles.

People call him rude and stuff but try to do something nice for the community only to have idiots shit on it and see how you behave. Fucking idiots ruining things and berate people just because of their own shit heads.

Reading the OP in that Steam is giving me a headache. We have an ungrateful fucking idiot amongst us.

We have at least two going by this thread alone.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yes because if it wasn't open source who says what he could have done. He could have targeted specific users and then RAT'd or even stolen their accounts through his .dll.

This is not something to brush off as a simple "fighting the pirates". He's abusing his position for personal usage. Frankly I think he should be VAC Banned because as it stands he is distributing a virus in my books.

Yes but that's not the point here he's gone ahead and done something like this which is the problem, and has intentionally sabotaged a few of the members from the steam forums which had bought the game just because they got into an argument with him.

The vast majority of people are there to play the game and modify it. The majority won't take the time to do something like this.
That comes off as wildly alarmist and inaccurate.

jrcbandit

I don't understand the mentality of people who are against this, trying to play it off as a virus, etc. It's an user made mod, you aren't entitled to be able to use it. It's open source, if you don't like the code in it, remove the lines and compile it yourself. If you are too lazy to do this, that's on you.

JCG

I am neither strongly against nor strongly in favor of this idea, generally speaking, but I hope it doesn't create an additional layer of problems if I want to play the game offline. If it does, then that would be an issue.

Iorv3th

I don't understand the mentality of people who are against this, trying to play it off as a virus, etc. It's an user made mod, you aren't entitled to be able to use it. It's open source, if you don't like the code in it, remove the lines and compile it yourself. If you are too lazy to do this, that's on you.

Because they don't want to pay for games/software. But they don't want to be seen as pirates so they try to argue it from some other asinine perspective that doesn't really add up. "What if.." "But he could have..." etc.

Ascheroth

I am neither strongly against nor strongly in favor of this idea, generally speaking, but I hope it doesn't create an additional layer of problems if I want to play the game offline. If it does, then that would be an issue.
It doesn't.

Nillansan

People call him rude and stuff but try to do something nice for the community only to have idiots shit on it and see how you behave. Fucking idiots ruining things and berate people just because of their own shit heads.

It's disappointing and it would be perfectly reasonable for Kaldaien to just close up shop. The gaming community is toxic as fuck.

That comes off as wildly alarmist and inaccurate.

Don't waste your breath, he's an idiot.

Top Bottom