• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaldaien's Nier Mod has an anti-piracy check - People got mad

Ruff

Anyone can beat the game without an online connection tbh
Just need to use a Cheat Engine code to give you infinite lives

MUnited83

For you.
As much as our ego loves this, it's quite concerning that the mod has to connect to an unknown server to check files. Who knows what else the mod checks for or otherwise secretly installs on your computer. Mods are best used as offline programs for security reasons.
The mod is open source.

MUnited83

For you.
The way people are applauding what Kalaiden is doing to people he dislikes is dumb as hell. Surely this won't set a precedent and infect modding communities like ARMA and Bethesda games that totally aren't known for community drama.
What precedent? Are you insane? You think the dude invented a completely new way of blocking people from using software or something? You think it's a magical virus every modder will use now?
Would you take the same stance if a commercial game used Steamworks to target specific users the studio took issue with ? They could just not buy the game.
This is not a fucking commercial game, it's a goddamn free mod that you are not entitled to use in any fucking way. If he wants to ban you from it, it is his goddamn right.

Do you cry about TF2 and CS community servers using the API system to ban you from their servers too? Why the hell aren't you crying about that?

jacobeid

Banned
What precedent? Are you insane? You think the dude invented a completely new way of blocking people from using software or something? You think it's a magical virus every modder will use now?

This is not a fucking commercial game, it's a goddamn free mod that you are not entitled to use in any fucking way. If he wants to ban you from it, it is his goddamn right.

Do you cry about TF2 and CS community servers using the API system to ban you from their servers too? Why the hell aren't you crying about that?

I agree with you completely, but you're wasting your time. This poster is completely delusional with a strong sense of entitlement.

Seik

Banned
Major props to Kaldaien for doing this.

I think that's a first where a modder actually do something as for the legitimacy of the game's owner.

I agree with you completely, but you're wasting your time. This poster is completely delusional with a strong sense of entitlement.

That old saying of "Neogaf has a defense force for everything" always makes me sad for this forum when it is proven right.

And i would suggest grabbing the current version before he closes up shop.

Hes looking to take it down due to backlash.
Just what we needed, another good thing in the community going down because of entitlement.

theultimo

Major props to Kaldaien for doing this.

I think that's a first where a modder actually do something as for the legitimacy of the game's owner.
And i would suggest grabbing the current version before he closes up shop.

Hes looking to take it down due to backlash.

MUnited83

For you.
Such a drama queen. It isn't the first time he has done something like this.
Dunno, taking a mod down because of piece of shit entitled assholes harassing him because he doesn't want pirates or assholes using his mods actually seems like quite the proportionate response, very far from a "drama queen".

nynt9

I mean there's a harassment campaign going on against the dude orchestrated by 4chan. There's literally a thread there dedicated to organizing against him, calling him an autistic retard. Being targeted by gamergate and 4chan assholes en masse for preventing them from pirating the game is pretty good cause for the dude to take a step back.

Nezacant

So I guess you're volunteering to fill his shoes then? Create a free to use, open source patch to fix a broken game so that hundreds of thousands of people can play it, provide free support to those who need it, deal with griefers, harassment, and general entitled idiots all without getting paid to do so?

good-luck.gif

He's a programmer and a normal person at that. No one should expect him to be a public relations expert.

Blam

Are people seriously defending straight up piracy?

No we are defending the use still be able to use a mod pirated or not. That and we are blasting the mod creator for his childish actions.

So I guess you're volunteering to fill his shoes then? Create a free to use, open source patch to fix a broken game so that hundreds of thousands of people can play it, provide free support to those who need it, deal with griefers, harassment, and general entitled idiots all without getting paid to do so?

He's a programmer and a normal person at that. No one should expect him to be a public relations expert.

Lets be real here the only person harassing anyone is him. That and you're exaggerating this a bit too much.

nynt9

No we are defending the use still be able to use a mod pirated or not. That and we are blasting the mod creator for his childish actions.

Lets be real here the only person harassing anyone is him.

I suggest you take a look at the reddit and 4chan threads who are discussing this issue and trying to target him. People are definitely harassing him. You and those people are being childish. If you wanna keep harassing him go to 4chan instead.

What's the argument for the bolded? Why should you be entitled to use a mod for a game that you literally stole? I'd say you don't even deserve the game.

Blam

and now you'll get nothing. Happy?
I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

Why should pirates feel entitled to a mod?

They don't need to feel entitled sure they shouldn't be pirating the game in the first place, and sure they shouldn't get support on a game they don't own, but they do deserve to at least use the mod, and not have their experience gimped because a mod developer couldn't keep his opinions and his mods separate.

theultimo

Lets be real here the only person harassing anyone is him. That and you're exaggerating this a bit too much.
Sounds to me there is an outroar that people believe they are entitled to a fan made patch to work on anything and no one had any issue with before piracy was available.

I can understand the mod maker reactions considering.

jacobeid

Banned
What's the argument for the bolded? Why should you be entitled to use a mod for a game that you literally stole?

Think about the basis for this entire argument. There is no legitimate argument; people are just being shitheads.

Pay for your games. Problem solved.

Read above...the modder is looking to remove it due to all of this. Are you going to help fill that void?

jmga

He can do whatever he wants with his mods, but I honestly don't know what he did expect when using his mods to impose his moral.

They don't need to feel entitled sure they shouldn't be pirating the game in the first place, and sure they shouldn't get support on a game they don't own, but they do deserve to at least use the mod, and not have their experience gimped because a mod developer couldn't keep his opinions and his mods separate.

Why do they "deserve" to use a mod for a game they pirated? What have they done to "deserve" that mod?

nynt9

"keep your opinions out of my video game mods" sounds dangerously close to gamergate stuff and considering 4chan and reddit are the origin of this harassment campaign against the dude that you want to keep perpetuating, you're treading on thin ice mate.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Why?

jacobeid

Banned
He can do whatever he wants with his mods, but I honestly don't know what he did expect when using his mods to impose his moral.

He's protecting himself from potential lawsuits. Holy shit the stupidity and entitlement in this thread is outstanding.

Blam, nobody who stole the game "deserves" anything. If they want to pay for the game then we can talk.

Actually, they don't deserve to play the game at all.

Fucking this. Also, it's open source. If you're that mad over this then take the code and develop another mod yourself.

Basketball

Very talented guy but he is a well known major cunt

Dont dare get into any argument with him
And use his fixes

He can add your information to a blacklist in the software code and God's knows what else he can do with it.

Nillansan

They do deserve to at least use the mod, and not have their experience gimped because a mod developer couldn't keep his opinions and his mods separate.

No they fucking don't, get it through your thick skull. Kaldaien has already explained the reasoning behind the anti piracy measure, besides that pirates seem to take up a good bulk of his time with all their snarky support requests.

Why do they "deserve" to use a mod for a game they pirated? What have they done to "deserve" that mod?

I think he's getting shit flung at him due to his tacit endorsement of denuvo and the back and forth kind of argument that creates.

And it's the internet, pirates are able to comment on stuff whether they bought something or not.

Nezacant

I can't be the only one who sees this contradiction.

nynt9

And use his fixes

He can add your information to a blacklist in the software code and God's knows what else he can do with it.

Considering he only has two user IDs in the blacklist in the code, this seems like a major exaggeration.

I hate DRM, but still don't see the problem. His product and decision. Don't like it? Don't use the mod. Same with retail games using DRM. If you don't like something there is always somewhere else to spend your time and money. Maybe enough people will do the same and change will be forced... Or nothing changes and we're back to square one: you can spend your time and money somewhere else.

It's open source, so they can use the mod....it's just now they lost the convenience and now must work to try and utilize it.

Also, I don't think a pirate deserves to use the mod at all, IMO. Why should they have a "non-gimped" experience at all when they didn't even buy into it?

And use his fixes

The code is open source so yeah, we know what he can do with it.

jmga

He's protecting himself from potential lawsuits. Holy shit the stupidity and entitlement in this thread is outstanding.

Blam, nobody who stole the game "deserves" anything. If they want to pay for the game then we can talk.

You just invented the first part, it makes no sense and there is no legal base for it.

Nillansan

And use his fixes

Read. The. Fucking. Thread. Cunt.

Blam

Sounds to me there is an outroar that people believe they are entitled to a fan made patch to work on anything and no one had any issue with before piracy was available.

I can understand the mod maker reactions considering.

At least from what I understand it's not that their entitled it's more that he put the effort into setting up DRM for essentially no reason.

What's the argument for the bolded? Why should you be entitled to use a mod for a game that you literally stole? I'd say you don't even deserve the game.

I bought it so I'm on the other side of things, I'm just defending others who might have not bought it. It's not really the right thing to do to gimp someone's experience like I mentioned before because you personally don't like it. Sure you don't need to support them when they ask questions, or anything like that. But please don't go out of your way to sabotage the people who didn't buy the game. That's just malicious.

I suggest you take a look at the reddit and 4chan threads who are discussing this issue and trying to target him. People are definitely harassing him. You and those people are being childish. If you wanna keep harassing him go to 4chan instead.

If you're comparing what I'm saying here to what reddit and 4chan might be doing. Let's step back for a second. 4chan is most likely going to dox him because of this, and sure maybe if you make a decisions like this, and aren't ready for any backlash then I mean there's not much else to say other than just let it blow over.

jacobeid

Banned
Don't like it? Don't use the mod. Same with retail games using DRM. If you don't like something there is always somewhere else to spend your time and money. Maybe enough people will do the same and force change... Or nothing changes and we're back to square one: you can spend your time and money somewhere else.

The problem here is that the people going after Kal do not want to spend money (to buy the game) or spend time (to develop their own mod).

They want it all without giving anything. It's laughable.

nynt9

At least from what I understand it's not that their entitled it's more that he put the effort into setting up DRM for essentially no reason.

I bought it so I'm on the other side of things, I'm just defending others who might have not bought it. It's not really the right thing to do to gimp someone's experience like I mentioned before because you personally don't like it. Sure you don't need to support them when they ask questions, or anything like that. But please don't go out of your way to sabotage the people who didn't buy the game. That's just malicious.

If you're comparing what I'm saying here to what reddit and 4chan might be doing. Let's step back for a second. 4chan is most likely going to dox him because of this, and sure maybe if you make a decisions like this, and aren't ready for any backlash then I mean there's not much else to say other than just let it blow over.

"If gamergate doxes you, too bad, you shouldn't have done something to prevent piracy"

what kind of victim blaming bullshit is this? holy fuck

I think he's getting shit flung at him due to his tacit endorsement of denuvo and the back and forth kind of argument that creates.

And it's the internet, pirates are able to comment on stuff whether they bought something or not.

He can be a shit person but I don't see how pirates are entitled to anything that anyone writes, regardless of the attitude of the writer.

He's not going "out of his way" to do anything to pirates, he just doesn't want pirates to be able to use his mod. Pirates can play the vanilla version of the game just fine, he wasn't doing anything to do those people. All you're doing is arguing that pirates are entitled to his mod for no reason other than you "feel" it's right, but you haven't actually articulated why that is.

theultimo

What i dont get is why people bring up malware in this sense. The code is open and it shows no harm to your software, it just refuses to run on pirated copies.

Any developer can add you to a "blacklist", its already been explained many times in this thread why there is one.

If you think hes stealing steam account info, you are sorely mistaken.

What i dont get is why people bring up malware in this sense. The code is open and it shows no harm to your software, it just refuses to run on pirated copies.

Any developer can add you to a "blacklist", its already been explained many times in this thread why there is one.

If you think hes stealing steam account info, you are sorely mistaken.
They are idiots who are just saying shit they don't understand and defame people. There is really nothing else for us to get here. There is no arguing with idiots.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sure you don't need to support them when they ask questions, or anything like that. But please don't go out of your way to sabotage the people who didn't buy the game. That's just malicious.

You are being ignorant as hell. They can just not use the mod. Nothing is sabotaged, they can just remove the mod and play

Before anything else I'd like to be clear that I was using a hypothetical "you" and wasn't accusing you, personally, of anything. Just so we're clear, since I see the way I phrased it could be misinterpreted.

But, how is it malicious? Why are you defending those that haven't bought the game? What is logically wrong with punishing thieves in a mod that you personally developed, provide for free and have as open source? He's not going out of his way to sabotage anybody, because the mod isn't mandatory. There's no targeted attack here, just inconvenience for people without valid copies of the game. I guess the question at the root of it all is, what is the logical argument against what he's done? I'm seeing a lot of "he shouldn't do this" but not reasoning to back it up.

Edit: I guess it seems like the argument you're posing is that someone who steals something should have full, convenient access to the product they stole and any extensions, and that seems ridiculous.

Top Bottom