• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kalief Browder spent 3 years in jail for allegedly stealing a backpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coins

Banned
Holy shit.

In May, 2010, Kalief Browder, a sixteen-year-old high-school sophomore, was arrested in the Bronx for allegedly stealing a backpack. He insisted that he was innocent, but he was taken to Rikers Island, New York City’s four-hundred-acre jail complex. Browder spent the next three years at Rikers, awaiting trial while his case was repeatedly delayed by the courts. In May, 2013, the case against him was dismissed.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/exclusive-video-violence-inside-rikers?mbid=social_facebook

The article also shows videos of beatings he took.

Fuck the prison system.

Dynomutt

They literally forgot about the kid. Oh Lord sometimes in this world I just wait to die. And what....an apology to him and his family?

aku:jiki

Good fucking lord, a teenager losing 3 years over nothing is absolutely ridiculous. Here I was trying to relax on a friday but now I'm pissed.

Enzom21

It seems that absolutely no one was fired for this "mistake". Three years of his life taken and no consequences for anyone involved. The criminal justice system here is a joke, especially if you are black.

Coins

Banned
They literally forgot about the kid. Oh Lord sometimes in this world I just wait to die. And what....an apology to him and his family?

I don't think they forgot about him at all. They just didn't care and kept delaying the case.

Why put him in prison at all while waiting for trial?
He probably won't flee the country because of a backpack.

The US Prison system is a bad joke.

Alavard

Why put him in prison at all while waiting for trial?
He probably won't flee the country because of a backpack.

The US Prison system is a bad joke.

Meanwhile, that deputy who shot and killed the suspect because he 'thought he was using his stun gun' is allowed to go to Bahamas on vacation despite being charged with manslaughter.

RS4-

I'd go after every single scum fuck involved with that. The cops, the lawyers, judge, the people at Rikers. Jesus.

Weebay told him to cut that hair :-(

namondd9j1s.png

faridmon

That is messed up.
Read about people who served for bigger crime. and He was a minor to boot. WTF?
Justice System in US is really a mess.

NastyBook

I don't even understand. Rikers for backpack theft? This kid could've died because he was wrongfully accused and then slipped through the cracks.

Shit is scarier than any horror movie ever made.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
This is infuriating. How is this anything but guilty until proven innocent if the kid was thrown into prison while WAITING for a fucking trial which was eventually dismissed? What.the.fuck.

Syriel

They didn't forget about him. They were purposefully delaying the trial date (because they had no case) in the hopes he would cop to a plea for something he didn't do.

They didn't forget about him. They were purposefully delaying the trial date (because they had no case) in the hopes he would cop to a plea for something he didn't do.

Prosecutors don't like it when people notice their abuse. Their ego is more valuable than the life of a child.

I don't even understand. Rikers for backpack theft? This kid could've died because he was wrongfully accused and then slipped through the cracks.

Shit is scarier than any horror movie ever made.

It's a shame that most white people in America don't have the mental capacity to understand this. That or they are so cowardly that they would rather let this happen than admit their mistakes and try and rectify the issue. Or most depressingly, they have no problem with this being the societal norm.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
It's a shame that most white people in America don't have the mental capacity to understand this. That or they are so cowardly that they would rather let this happen than admit their mistakes and try and rectify the issue. Or most depressingly, they have no problem with this being the societal norm.
I'm a white person in America. What power do I have to fix this? Is my lack of mental capacity keeping me from using my superpowers?

Gallbaro

Banned
This is infuriating. How is this anything but guilty until proven innocent if the kid was thrown into prison while WAITING for a fucking trial which was eventually dismissed? What.the.fuck.

He was denied his right to a speedy trial, this will likely (and should) end up with a settlement somewhere. The NYC Department of Corrections is one of those middle class employment centers that should be shutdown and everyone fired. With an new, non-unionized or at least different union being established in parallel at a new facility.

What the fuck was in the backpack that made even being accused of stealing it an imprisonable offense? Nuclear codes?

I remember when I was in high school, stealing a backpack was bad... but the punishment would have been expulsion or community service or something. Not jail time.

CTLance

America, your shit's fucked and don't even try to tell me otherwise.

That poor fucker. How do you even restart a life that was disturbed at such a crucial moment.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/02/kalief-browder_n_4373544.html

So after 33 months in jail...

This past January, Browder was offered a deal: Plead guilty and be sentenced to time served, or plead not guilty, and if convicted, face another 15 years in jail. Browder, who has always maintained his innocence, refused to plead guilty, and in June, charges against him were suddenly dropped.

For a Backpack. His accuser first said he stole his backpack, then when they found nothing on him the accused said he only "attempted" to rob him.

There's an interview at that link, if anyone wants to listen.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/02/kalief-browder_n_4373544.html

So after 33 months in jail...

For a Backpack. His accuser first said he stole his backpack, then when they found nothing on him the accused said he only "attempted" to rob him.

There's an interview at that link, if anyone wants to listen.

So wait, 18 years in prison for attempted robbery?

It sounds like the prosecutor was willing to ruin someone's life in order to avoid being accused of railroading a kid.

darscot

I was just checking the laws in Canada and as a minor for a crime that an adult could receive life the max is three years and you can not serve more than 2. For 1st degree murder you can get ten and max serve 6. 2nd degree murder is 7 and max serve 4. These are the max for the most extreme offenses. This kid served 33% more time for a crime he did not commit than he could serve in Canada had he been convicted of a a crime an adult would get life for other than murder. That just bends my brain and I don't think we are soft on kids crime.

Been locking up foreigners without trial for so long that it was only a matter of time before Americans started receiving the same treatment.

entremet

Despicable.

Well this is supposed to be covered in the Bill of Rights. But blacks generally are considered inhuman and therefore they don't apply to them.

That's correct and sad at the same time.

Also good lawyers aren't cheap and many poorer black people can't afford good lawyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom