• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kalief Browder spent 3 years in jail for allegedly stealing a backpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
RIP to the young man. Shame that a life had to end so soon. I hope karma bites everyone involved in the fucking ass.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
RIP,

Of course no one is going to be prosecuted at all from putting this guy in jail for 3 years without a trial. Sometimes i hate this society so much if God decided to burn america to the ground I wouldn't be surprised.

Paz

Tragic, awful, beyond belief that this really happened and continues to happen. Rest in Peace.

The system is completely broken.

ICKE

Banned
What the fuck is this? Are you serious? This doesn't even happen in many third world countries.

This past January, Browder was offered a deal: Plead guilty and be sentenced to time served, or plead not guilty, and if convicted, face another 15 years in jail. Browder, who has always maintained his innocence, refused to plead guilty, and in June, charges against him were suddenly dropped.

I have no idea how this prosecutor can even sleep after this, I definitely wouldn't

Rest in peace.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Holy fucking shit

Steal the man's youth. Take away his life in the process.

Fuck out of here America. No place where something with a single semblance of such a thing happening can be considered a nation that is just and fair.

ShinNL

Yeah, first world country my ass. Barbarians. Monsters.

I don't believe in afterlife so all I see is murder. His death is caused by many hateful trash of this world.

Paz

I really wish it was possible to run a political campaign on the promise that prison inmates won't be raped, beaten, or starved. Even innocent people are broken down and destroyed by the system, and the guilty are often turned in to career criminals.

Something that needs to be solved in addition to whatever broken systems caused this child to be stuck there for three years.

Blackage

I imagine he has a pretty strong case under the 6th amendment (right to a speedy trial): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

I would expect he will be getting a large settlement out of this.

When I first saw your post, I hadn't seen the date of the thread, so I thought to myself "He might get a settlement, but he'll still have scars." As I continued to read the thread and found out he killed himself.....I hated the fact I was right.

This reminded me of one of my cousins in South Carolina who got 18 years in prison for stealing 18 dollars.

This was 17 years ago.

msv

Everyone involved in allowing this to take place should have to spend at least a few months in prison themselves. Shit's criminal.
A few months? This is false imprisonment, torture, blackmail. Should be talking 3 years minimum for participation, life in prison for prosecutor.

It's strange how authority / power works. Suddenly the rules change completely, and no one bats an eye. Nay, it even gets defended and debated on on the level of bringing charges instead of how long the sentence should be. Humans are illogical creatures to say the least.

What happened to this man is criminal. The prosecution should pay dearly for this.

But everyone knows this system won't make them pay, but if Karma exists, I hope it strikes heavy on them.

cameron

RIP.

Other news sites are reporting on Browder's suicide.

His incarceration might as well have been a death sentence without trial. Instead of a lethal injection, just break them to the point where they want to take their own life. Browder tried to kill himself at least 6 times at Rikers. No one did shit. They bandaged him up and sent him back.

Prosecutors and judges know that the court system in NY has a giant backlog. Trial dates are set more than a year away. They know that some defendants live in poverty and are not able afford bail. They know about the abuse that happens in prison from both other inmates and guards. It makes no sense to send a 16 year old to Rikers while he waits for trial on the charge of robbery. There's zero risk to the public by giving custody to his parents.

It's messed up how the U.S. is so advanced in areas like arts, science, and engineering, but backwards as fuck with its court/penal system.

I'm not taking this well. The entire crime and punishment system in NYC is broken. And it's broken based on the premise that we MUST spend all these hours and resources to punish people for minor offences.

Detention could have solved a minor issue like a backpack theft (if it even happened). Instead, a child is dead because a prosecutor refused to look soft. Inexcusable.

RIP.

Other news sites are reporting on Browder's suicide.

His incarceration might as well have been a death sentence without trial. Instead of a lethal injection, just break them to the point where they want to take their own life. Browder tried to kill himself at least 6 times at Rikers. No one did shit. They bandaged him up and sent him back.

Prosecutors and judges know that the court system in NY has a giant backlog. Trial dates are set more than a year away. They know that some defendants live in poverty and are not able afford bail. They know about the abuse that happens in prison from both other inmates and guards. It makes no sense to send a 16 year old to Rikers while he waits for trial on the charge of robbery. There's zero risk to the public by giving custody to his parents.

It's messed up how the U.S. is so advanced in areas like arts, science, and engineering, but backwards as fuck with its court/penal system.

What's to expect from a country long ago sold to the most brutal capitalism? If you can't provide your worth in capital, nobody in the government cares for you.

This poor guy is just, as many said before me, just another victim of a system were people only get any kind of compassion or justice if they can afford it, or the outcome will generate any kind of attention or retribution.

Who know how many more have gone through this? Thousands? Millions?

Africanus

I can only imagine the mental trauma of losing some of the most crucial years of one's life, the transition to adulthood, for a false accusation. Job opportunities, peer interactions, relationships, university; all of this gone by one person's claim. This is before anything that occurred within the jail period as well.

I hope he found peace in death, however it should have been an unnecessary one. The worst part of this is how he shall go unknown to the masses. As it has up until this point.

Memory

They crushed everything he was and wanted to be so in the end he could not see anything to live for and ended it all.

Terrible.

Roi

Oh my god what a tragic story.. It's a bloody shame and disgrace that this can happen in the US.

Someone should be held responsible for this!

Friggz

That video made me fucking sick. hes a fucking kid for christ sake.

Gaf is the first im reading on the story which is a damn shame.

Nabs

Rest in Peace.

The kid was tortured for 3 years, with two of those stuck in solitary confinement. Fuck.

Three years of false imprisonment, beating and now a man has taken his life all over a damn backpack that they weren't even able to confirm he stole. I wish the worst on everyone involved in his incarceration

NastyBook

Rest in Peace.

The kid was tortured for 3 years, with two of those stuck in solitary confinement. Fuck.
Beat me to it. That's exactly what they did to him. Mentally and physically. FUCK everyone involved in this whole situation, especially the prosecutor and the low grade shitheel FUCK that falsely accused him in the first place.

entremet

Another young black man destroyed by the system.

I hope in generations coming forward we will see what havoc we have wreaked on young black men in this country.

It's aggravating to see.

We're disenfranchising whole generations and beyond due to our vengeance focused criminal justice systems.

Another example of the nightmare that is the us justice system. This story is just sad. i feel so sad for his family. It is also sad because the justice system that messed up this young man's life will most likely never be fixed because it disproportionately effects minorities and poor people. The system is used as a way to continually hold down minorities(especially black males) and poor people. It is like a never ending cycle of despair.

Retrocide

Completely heart breaking....words can't express my anger at what happened to him, and continues to happen to countless others.

dabig2

Another wasted life. Good job justice system. And now if death wasn't enough for the poor boy, he'll now fade into oblivion as another statistic on a page of a book that is willfully ignored.

And rinse repeat for god knows how many generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom