• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kalief Browder spent 3 years in jail for allegedly stealing a backpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are officially 3/5ths human...

Being a bit generous, aren't we? They wouldn't do this to a dog. If this had been done to a dog, there would have been a national outcry and a segment on 60 Minutes.

We're just negroes. Nobody and I mean nooomothafuckinbody cares about us. Nobody with some power, anyway.

This is vomit inducing.

Sue. EVERYBODY.

I can't imagine a defense attorney would pass on this opportunity. Should be a big payday. There is no acceptable excuse that can explain or justify this.

Siegcram

scabro

So wait, 18 years in prison for attempted robbery?

It sounds like the prosecutor was willing to ruin someone's life in order to avoid being accused of railroading a kid.
that seems to happen with prosecutors

rather double down on your bullshit and ruin people's lives than admit you were wrong and hurt your career.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
They send 16 year olds to Rikers? Was there not even a bail hearing?

Rikers isn't prison, it's a jail. If you can't post bond, or aren't given one it's where you stay. Also used as a transfer station or for people to serve shorter sentences. Rikers has multiple facilitates as well.. it's not all adults.. he was in one with other minors.

It's just probably the most famous jail, due to it being NY based and really damn big.

That said, kid got fucked over.

Here's a better article on all of this, since the OP is really just new news about the video.

The 6-month rules is bullshit, since a 1-day stay on trial can mean 2 months.. and counts as a day.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/06/before-the-law

NastyBook

Up to 15 Years for theft? And there was no evidence he committed the crime other than TWO different stories from the SAME person?

LO-FUCKING-L

I will never go to New York for anything. Jersey was enough.

NervousXtian

Why did nobody bail this kid out? Where were his parents and friends during all of this?

He was a past offender on probation, so once he plead not guilty the judge ordered him held without bail due the violent offense he was charged with.

Bullshit, but that's what happened.

People people calm down

Every person has their day in court.. It may take 3 years while you could potentially die if not by the other inmates but by the guards. America!!

YoungHav

Banned
Being a bit generous, aren't we? They wouldn't do this to a dog. If this had been done to a dog, there would have been a national outcry and a segment on 60 Minutes.

We're just negroes. Nobody and I mean nooomothafuckinbody cares about us. Nobody with some power, anyway.
LOL... yeah. Had this been a dog, forget it.

This kid needs a gofundme on top of whatever settlement NYC gives him.

Zetta

This kid needs to get paid badly and a lot of people should be heading to jail. This is just crazy. I can't even begin to imagine the torture he went through.

PopeReal

Meanwhile white America is concerned about anyone protesting things like this. We really don't like to be bothered, we need to get to work. We have made it clear that black lives do not matter.

Terrifying.

And while this case is particularly insane, the problem is widespread. The effective lack of a right to a speedy trial, combined with blackmail-level use of plea bargains, is in general one of the most terrifying things to me.

Can anyone explain why New York law specifically is not unconstitutional?

http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/id...w-York-the-Ready-Rule?slreturn=20150324211124

The rules were to take effect on May 1, 1972. The District Attorneys Association of New York launched a shrill campaign to block the new rules. A speedy-trial rule would bring about "chaos." It would cause a "legalized jailbreak."4

The prosecutors offered in its place a "ready rule." The prosecution would merely have to be "ready for trial" before a deadline. Whether a trial actually occurred was not relevant.

The ready/not ready travesty is repeated in case after case, as has been shown in this publication (March 25, 2009; Aug. 16, 2012). The system is more congested than ever. The average age of a misdemeanor in New York City in 2012 at the time of jury verdict was 436 days, almost five times the 90-day limit of CPL §30.30(1).8 At the end of 2013, the Bronx had 2,106 misdemeanors more than one year old

The Court of Appeals has ruled that delays attributable to "court congestion" are not chargeable to the prosecution if a declaration of readiness had previously been made.13 The rationale was that court congestion is not the fault of the prosecution. But it is not the fault either of the accused, who pays the price in extra imprisonment or repeated court appearances.

It doesn't make any sense.

Enzom21

This is vomit inducing.

Sue. EVERYBODY.

Nah fuck that. Every last piece of shit involved in stealing three years of his life should be fired and then serve the same amount of time.
They took three years of his life because he wouldn't be a good little negro and eat the time they were trying to feed him.
We all know none of them will face any sort of consequence, because hey, it is just some violent black kid who would have just ended up there anyway.
Fuck them, suing is not enough

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Nah fuck that. Every last piece of shit involved in stealing three years of his life should be fired and then serve the same amount of time.
They took three years of his life because he wouldn't be a good little negro and eat the time they were trying to feed him.
We all know none of them will face any sort of consequence, because hey, it is just some violent black kid who would have just ended up there anyway.
Fuck them, suing is not enough

Especially that guard. You don't get to fucking attack someone because you're having a bad day or you just want to.

But for once the problem is less a police problem: it's mostly on the shady ass prosecutors, lack of prison oversight.

NervousXtian

Terrifying.

And while this case is particularly insane, the problem is widespread. The effective lack of a right to a speedy trial, combined with blackmail-level use of plea bargains, is in general one of the most terrifying things to me.

Can anyone explain why New York law specifically is not unconstitutional?

http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/id...w-York-the-Ready-Rule?slreturn=20150324211124

It doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, there's some huge flaws with how things are going down in NY. It happens elsewhere, but NY just doesn't have the means to try so many cases. It's simple math, not enough judges, not enough money, not enough hours in the day.

The hard thing is, do you let people just walk who committed crimes as you can't get the cases in, or do you do this? Both suck, because unlike this kid, who may of likely been innocent.. who knows.. only he knows the truth.. you have legit cases to try.

They need more judges, more defenders, more prosecutors and more money to get the system flowing.. .they aren't just a little behind... they are WAY the fuck behind.

A big lawsuit from someone like this might just what the system needs to get shit straight. What they are doing is unconstitutional. It needs to be fixed by fixing the core problems.. not just delaying them until they can get to it.

Kin5290

So, basically, the New York district attorney realized that they had fuckall for a case and decided to jail him anyways? Yeah, that sounds constitutional.

This guy needs to sue the city for so many millions of dollar.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Of course, the poor kid was black. Of fucking course.
Black and poor. Shmurda posted bail after shooting up the neighborhood and snitching on himself.

There are too many people falling through the cracks of a system that is showing more concern for punishment than justice in cases like this.

Syriel

Yeah, there's some huge flaws with how things are going down in NY. It happens elsewhere, but NY just doesn't have the means to try so many cases. It's simple math, not enough judges, not enough money, not enough hours in the day.

The hard thing is, do you let people just walk who committed crimes as you can't get the cases in, or do you do this? Both suck, because unlike this kid, who may of likely been innocent.. who knows.. only he knows the truth.. you have legit cases to try.

They need more judges, more defenders, more prosecutors and more money to get the system flowing.. .they aren't just a little behind... they are WAY the fuck behind.

A big lawsuit from someone like this might just what the system needs to get shit straight. What they are doing is unconstitutional. It needs to be fixed by fixing the core problems.. not just delaying them until they can get to it.

YOU LET THEM GO.

If the State can't get it done, too bad.

It's not that hard.

If you follow the constitution, and allow for human rights, that applies pressure. Pressure to decriminalize or reduce punishment for certain crimes (most notably drug use). Pressure not to imprison people unnecessarily. Pressure to have more judges on hand, even though it costs money. They wouldn't be letting everyone walk, they would be forced to rethink how they work.

The current situation is a vicious circle where taking away constitutional and basic human rights removes pressure, leading to greater ease in criminalization and imprisonment, which in turn "requires" taking away rights because of the huge workload of the criminal justice system.

nib95

Banned
The video and article makes so fucking damn mad. I hope he can at least sue the shit out of the state and get rich off of the compensation. Even that isn't enough. The people responsible for taking away his 3 years should also face punishment and loss. Utterly disgraceful that this type of shit can happen.

If NY is so backed up that misdemeanors take more than a year to go to trial maybe they should just do amnesty for nonviolent charges with some sort of probation period where another offense would reactivate the charges.

Of course there is no money in that.

He sued NYC for $20m two years ago, dunno if that lawsuits gone through or if the city settled, someone with better google fu than me will have to look into it.

In most states at your initial hearing the public defender (if you are poor) waives your right to a speedy trial without even explaining it to the accused, as a sort of quid pro quo between prosecutors and public defenders office. Once your ass is in the legal system you are in a world of hurt that only money can get you out of.

So what was he supposed to do when the gang leader spit on his face though? Let it slide, or recieve the beatdown of a lifetime? doesnt seem like anyway to win in that situation

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I don't think they forgot about him at all. They just didn't care and kept delaying the case.

Isn't kind of strange that someone who hasn't been convicted of any crime spends three years in jail? Shouldn't the judges and attorneys involved have criminal charges against them?

nib95

Banned
He sued NYC for $20m two years ago, dunno if that lawsuits gone through or if the city settled, someone with better google fu than me will have to look into it.

In most states at your initial hearing the public defender (if you are poor) waives your right to a speedy trial without even explaining it to the accused, as a sort of quid pro quo between prosecutors and public defenders office. Once your ass is in the legal system you are in a world of hurt that only money can get you out of.

I hope he won his case. Getting rich is unfortunately one of the best ways he might get at least some form of consolation for all this.

When I saw this thread bumped, I wasn't expecting to read that news about his suicide. That's terrible. :(

And it is probably true, since the New Yorker was the one that originally wrote the article about him being in jail for 3 years. The reporter probably kept in touch with the mother.

If that were my kid I'd be handing out small pointy blocks of lead at high speed to all those involved. This is both infuriating and sad.

Sent

I usually don't get that emotional over these things, but I remember reading the article and his mental state after finally getting out.

And now learning that he succeeded in committing suicide...I just can't...

I remember this story. Fucking disgusting that the justice system didn't give a fuck. Then again, this is the USA, and that's about par for a black person.

I've personally never been affected by police/justice issues, but I've become jaded. I am beginning to want out of the US.

dhlt25

fucking disgusting, I read the story a long time ago and was hoping that things would finally get better for him :( RIP

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
If the side-effects on someone who has been falsely imprisoned are this extreme, it can't be doing any favours for any of the others inmates either.

I mean it's morally easy to say "he didn't deserve to be there, and look at the horrible things that happened to him", but no-one in prison deserves to have the kind of random beatings or food privilege denials that happened to Browder. That happen hundreds of times a day, behinds closed walls and out of sight and out of mind and out of logbooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom