• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiko (Switch) review thread

Scoops

Banned
hq720.jpg

Metacritic - 73 (12 reviews)

Source Gaming - 5/5

For 500 YEN, this is an absolute steal. The game doesn't offer that much, but its low entry point makes it a great in-between title. It's fun and has quite a bit of charm. The game has its issues, but nothing that makes 500 YEN less of a bargain. I would strongly encourage players to pick this up if they have the extra cash laying around.

Nintendo Life - 9/10

Stunningly stylish and with an irresistibly kinetic sense of motion, Kamiko is a true gem. It's a quick ride, to be sure, but gorgeous pixel-art visuals, a lush soundtrack and three very different characters with plenty of speedrunning potential make it well worth coming back to. A uniquely appealing, action-packed package for less than the price of a prayer plaque, this is an easy recommendation for any Switch owner.

Switch Player - 88/100

A charming little game that melds action and puzzle elements together quite nicely, Kamiko is a pleasure to play and experience. It doesn't last too long, and some of the enemies are rather easy to dispatch - but the different characters and their unique weapons make it a good game to replay, and the speedrun elements add to the fun. Overall it's a great way to spend a few hours, and that cheap launch price definitely doesn't hurt its value any.

Destructoid - 8/10

I absolutely love the colorful art style that makes up the set pieces that themselves tell a story of a forgotten post-apocalyptic world, and the soundtrack is composed of retro-inspired chiptunes.

Nintendo World Report - 8/10

If you are looking for a quick game, KAMIKO will absolutely serve will you well. It has all the markings of a great game with entertaining gameplay, sharp visuals and a solid flow. I had fun replaying the four stages and seeing how I could improve over time. That being said, I can easily admit that the game is super short and the levels won't change on future playthroughs. If you have seen the content once, you will know the game inside out. That might a sticking point for some, but the various characters do make it worth your while.

IGN Japan - 8/10

(In Japanese)

Tired Old Hack - no score, positive

If you don't fancy messing around with foreign eShops then (and if you do here's my guide showing you how to do it), be sure to give Kamiko a go when it finally reaches western shores. It's cheap, it's charming and it's ideal if you've got an hour or two to kill.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Those are some pretty solid reviews! The game is also quite pretty.

I've noticed this game has gotten a fair amount of attention on GAF. Is it because of the reasons above or is there another reason (e.g., developer pedigree) it's catching people's eyes?

Cerium

Source Gaming gave it a 5/5
For 500 YEN, this is an absolute steal. The game doesn't offer that much, but its low entry point makes it a great in-between title. It's fun and has quite a bit of charm. The game has its issues, but nothing that makes 500 YEN less of a bargain. I would strongly encourage players to pick this up if they have the extra cash laying around.

Those are some pretty solid reviews! The game is also quite pretty.

I've noticed this game has gotten a fair amount of attention on GAF. Is it because of the reasons above or is there another reason (e.g., developer pedigree) it's catching people's eyes?

It has a great art and nice music and is $5.

The developer did the Fairune games on 3DS which had a small following I think.

I believe it's also the first Japanese indie game on Switch.

Theswweet

It has a great art and nice music and is $5.

The developer did the Fairune games on 3DS which had a small following I think.

I believe it's also the first Japanese indie game on Switch.

How dare you forget the magnificent Vroom in the Night Sky! Truly, it captures the essence of playing such masterpieces as Superman 64, but with anime girls.

Tired old Hack:

If you don’t fancy messing around with foreign eShops then (and if you do here’s my guide showing you how to do it), be sure to give Kamiko a go when it finally reaches western shores. It’s cheap, it’s charming and it’s ideal if you’ve got an hour or two to kill.
No score, out before the game was announced to be localized

Is there any way to pre-purchase this? Don't see an option on the dashboard version of the e-shop. £4.50 seems like a steal for what looks like a pretty fun game!

Its definitely a 7 ish score game. If you factor price its a 10- but its definitely fun for the few hours it lasts. Great art style and mucis and combat is super tight

Speely

Banned
Good reviews! I was gonna pick this up regardless simply because playing a top-down pixel art combat game on my Switch will help ease the pain of no Hyper Light Drifter on the platform.

jonno394

Someone doing an OT for this? I don't mind attempting to put something together if not!

Edit - just seen there is an OT claiming thread and cerium is doing it! Guy's a machine!

Cerium

Someone doing an OT for this? I don't mind attempting to put something together if not!

Edit - just seen there is an OT claiming thread and cerium is doing it! Guy's a machine!
I've had this one finished and ready to post since before the localization was announced. :)

The Minecraft Switch thread is also done.

Working on Tumbleseed tonight.

Game looks pretty cool, and for $5 even if it wasn't anything special I'd probably still grab it, but it apparently being pretty good means I'll definitely download it when it hits to NA e-shop next week.

Luigiv

Looks too much like Hyper Light Drifter. I wonder if that's because it's the same engine.

It's not. Hyper Light Drifter is built on Game Maker Studio (and if you've ever used Game Maker Studio, you'll know it the engine would have had nothing to do with that game's style) whilst the engine for Kamiko is unknown but unlikely to be GMS, given that engine doesn't support Switch.

Speely

Banned
This really does just look like a rip off of Hyper Light Drifter. :/

Only visually because pixel art. By all accounts, it is a much easier, simpler kind of game designed for quick fun rather than dedicated ass-whoopings.

Edit: and I would love a HLD clone to actually happen since there is no Game Maker support for Switch. Small soapbox: Nintendo needs to get on GM support. It's a perfect fit.

Its definitely a 7 ish score game. If you factor price its a 10- but its definitely fun for the few hours it lasts. Great art style and mucis and combat is super tight

Completely agree with this comment. If it was 10 USD, I would have dropped the score down as there's not a lot of content. But it held my interest for over 5 hours, and I enjoyed the experience (obviously from my score).

The other games this developer made use the same art style and released before hyper light drifter, so I don't think they really copied them. They just look similar.

Only visually because pixel art. By all accounts, it is a much easier, simpler kind of game designed for quick fun rather than dedicated ass-whoopings.

Both good to know. Guess I misjudged it. Interesting coincidence they share a very similar style. I found HLD a bit too hard in places, so this might be up my alley after all.

expel

bought this on JP e-shop and played and enjoyed it. short and sweet, definitely worth 5 bucks. 3 chars with different playstyles for replay values. i finished it the first time for a bit over an hour.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The signature artstyle of Fairune - yummy!

If some of you have missed Fairune & Fairune 2 on the 3ds - check them out.

Top Bottom