• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya concerned that Nintendo isn't marketing Wonderful 101 much at all

DrWong

Yesterday, Nintendo tweeted a photography with Shibata playing The Wonderful 101 at the Japan Expo.

I know it's not a marketing push but it's cool.

BOV6haqCQAAy6GR.jpg

Yeah it's definitely failing to get press attention

At least Kotaku did its part : A Tale of Two Wii U Games

Yeah it's definitely failing to get press attention, that's for sure. It kinda sucks since without those outlets informing people about how stuff in a game works and why people should be excited, the only other option is to find a demo booth which has the game. Nintendo really should continue putting out a comprehensive demo on the eShop and pushing people to try it for themselves. That way, even if the press fails to report on it, we'll have people on forums ready to dissect the gameplay and explain stuff to people who don't get it.

Unfortunate situation all round really, especially with all the hype at E3 going to new upcoming consoles.

But isn't that also Nintendo's fault? They've always been bizarrely standoffish when it comes to giving the press early access to their games. It prevents them from creating pre-release buzz. A good example of the opposite of that is Atlus. IGN recently mentioned that they've been playing the final version of Dragon's Crown and they'll be having a full week blowout of the game next week. Every day a different aspect of the game will be gone over. That's huge for a niche game like DC to have the biggest gaming site on the net giving it full attention for an entire week. And that's happening a month in advance of its release. Why can't Nintendo do something like that for this game?

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this will not be advertised much, if at all and even if it is, I don't think it will sell too well. It probably needs a decent marketing push and a good demo. Then again, it could have a slightly better chance on the Wii U than the PS3 or X360, so we will see.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I do agree with him when he says that most people don't know what type of game it is, and I would classify that as a marketing failure more than anything else. Nintendo should be pushing this game a lot more and considering they are really proficient at marketing, it's really weird to see them struggle so much with the Wii U. What's going on at Nintendo?

Famassu

With or without marketing we all know that this game will fail and not because it will be a bad game. I can't believe they put more effort in this than Bayonetta, it's time for P* to approach games in a different way or nobody will want to work with them despite their talent.
Wut? Platinum Games is probably one of the most efficient game devs in the world. From what I can tell, W101 is simply a bigger game content-wise (I mean, you can basically run through Bayonetta in less than 2-3 hours, W101 is, like, 20 hours according to Kamiya, IIRC). It seems you are just one of those people who have absolutely no idea of how expensive game development is.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, who received a better marketing, the Sony <3 Indies push or this? I'm only aware of their online mentions but totally unsure how it's doing through magazines/video commercials.

Considering the current state of the Wii U, it almost seems insurmountable to think this game will be a success, which is a shame.

But Nintendo definitely could be doing more to get the game in people's head space.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Outside of the shooters, the sports games, and the racers, no game is really marketed here in the US. In fact, I don't recall seeing a single ad this year for any game outside of those genres.

Heyt

Banned
Nintendo's priority is Pikmin 3 now. As soon that's out they will shif focus. Wich is too late if you ask me.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Fire people in charge if The Wonderful 101 doesn't get a special bundle + a huge marketing campaign to support it.

Kouriozan

Typical of Nintendo.
A game don't exist until there is 3 weeks left before the release, then you get a Nintendo Direct, the official website and TV ads.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much, I'm really curious what will happen to X. Xenoblade did well, but the Wii had a huge install base, people just dusted off the Wii's they already had to play it.
I bought a Wii for Xenoblade.

I don't know man. I think Xenoblade sold under a million.

I think of games as Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, W101, X and Bayonetta 2 as a sort of fan service (to the more "hardcore" fans) from Nintendo. I think they knew, and still know, they wont reel in any big money on titles like these.

Wut? Platinum Games is probably one of the most efficient game devs in the world. From what I can tell, W101 is simply a bigger game content-wise (I mean, you can basically run through Bayonetta in less than 2-3 hours, W101 is, like, 20 hours according to Kamiya, IIRC). It seems you are just one of those people who have absolutely no idea of how expensive game development is.

I think what he means is that they should stop making the games they want to make and start making games that will have more mass appeal.

Sendou

Considering the current state of the Wii U, it almost seems insurmountable to think this game will be a success, which is a shame.

But Nintendo definitely could be doing more to get the game in people's head space.

Success is always relative. When Nintendo looks back to this game they will of course consider Wii U install base as one of the factors why it did the numbers it did.

Wonderful 101 isn't the kind of game that has to sell X million copies to be a success. That said without proper marketing they're just throwing this game away which is a shame.

LeleSocho

Banned
Welcome to Nintendo, the interesting games that aren't Mario, Zelda or Metroid have zero marketing so they sell like shit and because of that they will never have a sequel...

Sorcerer

Not owning a Wii-U I am curios, does Nintendo allow for demo's to be made available for download, the way Microsoft and Sony does for 360 and PS3?

I mean if so, Nintendo could have Platinum make a great demo and point people there (make a really solid effort to reach existing console owners at least) to try the game.

Not owning a Wii-U I am curios, does Nintendo allow for demo's to be made available for download, the way Microsoft and Sony does for 360 and PS3?

I mean if so, Nintendo could have Platinum make a great demo and point people there (make a really solid effort to reach existing console owners at least) to try the game.

Yep. They have demos.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

They have demos on the eshop, yes.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think what he means is that they should stop making the games they want to make and start making games that will have more mass appeal.

I remain convinced Vanquish had gigantic mass-market appeal, just Sega did a truly terrible job of marketing it. Bayonetta sold because it had TV adverts, a big promotional push, and frequent E3/TGS highlights. Vanquish had none of that and sold accordingly.

Hell, half of GAF seemingly didn't know Vanquish was out when it released.

Squire

Banned
Just wondering, who received a better marketing, the Sony <3 Indies push or this? I'm only aware of their online mentions but totally unsure how it's doing through magazines/video commercials.

I suppose Sony wind that comparison by default, but it's pretty apples/oranges. Those are $10 experiences that are download-only. TW101 is a $60 retail game on a console with an almost non-existent install-base.

2San

I don't know man. I think Xenoblade sold under a million.

I think of games as Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, W101, X and Bayonetta 2 as a sort of fan service (to the more "hardcore" fans) from Nintendo. I think they knew, and still know, they wont reel in any big money on titles like these.
That's pretty tragic if it sold under a million. :/ Xenoblade and X don't have overblown budgets, so I think they are profitable in the least.

Famassu

But isn't that also Nintendo's fault? They've always been bizarrely standoffish when it comes to giving the press early access to their games. It prevents them from creating pre-release buzz. A good example of the opposite of that is Atlus. IGN recently mentioned that they've been playing the final version of Dragon's Crown and they'll be having a full week blowout of the game next week. Every day a different aspect of the game will be gone over. That's huge for a niche game like DC to have the biggest gaming site on the net giving it full attention for an entire week. And that's happening a month in advance of its release. Why can't Nintendo do something like that for this game?
Yeah, it's all Nintendo's fault. They should really take a page of how some of the bigger titles are hyped. Big presence @ E3, showy gameplay demonstrations and plenty of press coverage. That alone would create a lot more interest, as the game would get more exposure around the year. No need to have a 50+ million $ marketing budget, though, like some AAA games do.

Success is always relative. When Nintendo looks back to this game they will of course consider Wii U install base as one of the factors why it did the numbers it did.

Wonderful 101 isn't the kind of game that has to sell X million copies to be a success. That said without proper marketing they're just throwing this game away which is a shame.
I would hope that Nintendo will be taking into account the varying factors, but they tend to not have very realistic expectations for their games. Considering that big name titles are struggling on the Wii U, I don't see things working out well for the 101.

I hope I'm wrong, but things aren't looking too bright right now.

I remain convinced Vanquish had gigantic mass-market appeal, just Sega did a truly terrible job of marketing it. Bayonetta sold because it had TV adverts, a big promotional push, and frequent E3/TGS highlights. Vanquish had none of that and sold accordingly.

Hell, half of GAF seemingly didn't know Vanquish was out when it released.

I agree with you (although I think Vanquish still would have been hurt by not having multiplayer, since even people on this forum complained about that for whatever reason). I don't think that Platinum games are unmarketable (although for the most part they're probably kind of hard to market); I was just saying what I thought that poster meant.

Taker666

There has been little coverage of the game from E3..

..but I guess part of the reason for that is it was shown off the previous year so mags/websites tend to be concentrating on what's new (and the first trailer hasn't really been built upon..I don't think I know any more about the game now than when the first trailer came out).

The fact is there's very little push/hype for any Nintendo games from the gaming media these days (be it 3DS or Wii U)..and as Nintendo no longer trusts them to report the truth, they are less and less involved with them so ge tless and less coverage.

Still... I wouldn't expect any marketing for The Wonderful 101 until after Pikmin 3 hits.

Jac_Solar

I'm not sure what it's about either. I don't think that's necessarily Nintendo's fault. Platinum is to blame for making a weird game that doesn't look appealing enough for me to research.

I think it's an action game where you control several characters, with some minor RTS elements, and set in an RTS perspective. Like a full on action Pikmin game.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Okay, this is making me a bit concerned on Kamiya's behalf.

And it's strange if, he's right, that Nintendo isn't taking the essential steps to promote word about one of their major exclusive titles.

These guys are hoping for a smash hit or at least succesfull sales. Nintendo has part responsibility for this.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sucks for Kamiya - but looking at the game its probably not the easiest game to market, especially for a new IP. Lets hope we will get a Demo a couple of weeks before the launch, to get something going.
i'm talking about in a alternative universe. obviously nintendo is not going to fund development for a game not exclusive to their console

So despite the fact that a Multiplattform wasnt possible...it still makes more sense for you ? Erm okay.

tassletine

I don't think it's going to get much of a marketing push. The reason being is that the install base is too small. The existing user base will definitely buy it so they don't need to market there. The only other option would be to spend a lot of money and try and sell systems with it, and whilst 101 might be of such a quality to able to do that, I doubt Nintendo would market it heavily as it's still confusing as to what the game actually is.

Every time you go out on a limb (and Platinum often do) you really have to expect people to shrug and misunderstand what you are doing. Nintendo have always has that problem. I think Platinum are only just realising the limitations that are put on you when you are being so inventive.

Coolwhip

Banned
Thats a whole fistful of excuses there laddo. This game is coming out in a month, I don't think devs have time to copy and release a look-alike to market (not that I even think they want to). So if they're not going full-tilt in the month run up to the game, when are they? The day before? That... isn't going to work well. You need a year really, to make people thirst and want your game bigtime.

Theres been seemingly 2 demo levels of W101 ever shown, and they didn't exactly grip people with astonishment. I'm just a bit worried the core gameplay is just frankly both boring and finnicky.

In retrospect, perhaps Kamiya should have rolled out an Okami spiritual successor instead of this game. Would have certainly filled more of a Nintendo console owner staple.

Oh piss off with this "non-Nintendo consoles hate colour!" rhetoric. Its super dumb. Minecraft sure is selling awfully!

What examples of million sellers on consoles are there outside of Minecraft?

No surprise, there's quite a big amount of new titles Nintendo funded and then just sent out to die for no apparent reason (Why publish them in the first place?).
They also were hardly promoting it at E3, which would have gotten way more attention than some separate Direct show that no one is going to watch anyway.

Getting PG to make a couple of games is probably the only good decision they've made with the WiiU, no wonder they also had to drop the ball with this later on. They already got their backlash through sub-GCN numbers after handling every aspect of the machine wrong, yet they continue to make baffling decisions and play dumb hiding games with this messed up console. Sure, W101 would have flopped on any console in these times, but it sure isn't gonna help anyone to let it die so blatantly - and again, one just wonders why they paid for this game in the first place.

Top Bottom