• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya concerned that Nintendo isn't marketing Wonderful 101 much at all

Looking on Nintendo actions during the first half of 2013, it seems like there running business with the austerity mode ON, to reduce losses.

xbox 360/ps3/wii u would have made more sense. i was not talking about next gen consoles.
Highly debatable. People keep arguing for these abstract scenarios, but Nintendo is bankrolling Kamiya's very idiosyncratic vision, and this way the team can focus on taking advantage of the specific strengths of one platform instead of spreading themselves thin coordinating ports or outsourcing. It's not at all clear the Wii U specific Platinum projects would have existed at all without Nintendo. So, while Nintendo could perhaps do a better job marketing the title it's funny seeing people demonize them over a game they played an integral role in bringing to fruition to begin with.

In other regards this whole thing reminds me a bit of No More Heroes. People bitch about Nintendo not having enough desirable exclusives outside their wheelhouse, then bemoan the fact that they're exclusive when they actually surface. Then there's all the unsupportable claims about how how much more sense it would make on platforms x,y, and z, acting as though a game like Wonderful 101 couldn't possibly be drowned out by the existing and upcoming library of 360 and PS3, and ignoring the fact that the mechanics are tailored to the Wii U's interface.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What examples of million sellers on consoles are there outside of Minecraft?

Tell me where you're going to move the goalposts to and I'll be sure to lob a few balls in. Ratchet Tools over 2 million, Ratchet Crack over 1.4 million, LBP1 over 5 million, LBP2 probly closing in on 3 million these days, Journey appears to have sold well (although other than "broke PSN sales records" nothing quantifiable, and I think even Ni No Kuni almost made it to a cool mill, despite being ultra super niche. Bastion also has sold over 1.7 million (across all platforms, so deduce whatever percentage you think Steam/iOS/Chrome was...)

Thats all of course when we're discounting Minecraft XBLA because its convenient for your argument which is at what... 7-8 million these days? Oh and Naruto UNS2 is a million seller, but that doesnt count too I'm sure because of raisins, never mind that even shootbang/slashfuck games these days are colourful explosions of palettes.

popyea

The idea of this game selling terribly JUST because no one bothered to advertise it makes me angry. The Wii U has so few games at the moment, surely just about every owner is on the lookout for something that looks fun? Why would you not advertise one of the few large budget games you have coming out?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The idea of this game selling terribly JUST because no one bothered to advertise it makes me angry. The Wii U has so few games at the moment, surely just about every owner is on the lookout for something that looks fun? Why would you not advertise one of the few large budget games you have coming out?

Hopefully it's not too late yet. First release is in EU 23. August. Still some time to make it right. NA is not until September.

Shahadan

The game will bomb regardless of marketing efforts simply because, as Kamiya states himself, most people don't get wtf the game is about.
Game will probably be really good, but when people don't get your game at all, you're doing it wrong.

No marketing will make things a lot worse, but I have the feeling that even ads everywhere wouldn't make it sell that much.

IrishNinja

damn...might end up getting pikmin 3, 3D world & DKC in a B2G1 later and just try to day 1 W101, i like everything i've seen so far and if it does bomb terribly i'd feel a little bad for waiting.

I'll be there day 1 :( I'll even get a second (and probably a third) copy for a GAF giveaway.

this is really cool to see as well

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Sorry Kamiya but if you wanted your game to sell, you shouldn't have made it Nintendo exclusive.

Gannd

Banned
Highly debatable. People keep arguing for these abstract scenarios, but Nintendo is bankrolling Kamiya's very idiosyncratic vision, and this way the team can focus on taking advantage of the specific strengths of one platform instead of spreading themselves thin coordinating ports or outsourcing. It's not at all clear the Wii U specific Platinum projects would have existed at all without Nintendo. So, while Nintendo could perhaps do a better job marketing the title it's funny seeing people demonize them over a game they played an integral role in bringing to fruition to begin with.

In other regards this whole thing reminds me a bit of No More Heroes. People bitch about Nintendo not having enough desirable exclusives outside their wheelhouse, then bemoan the fact that they're exclusive when they actually surface. Then there's all the unsupportable claims about how how much more sense it would make on platforms x,y, and z, acting as though a game like Wonderful 101 couldn't possibly be drowned out by the existing and upcoming library of 360 and PS3, and ignoring the fact that the mechanics are tailored to the Wii U's interface.

Bingo. It's the whole "Nintendo only release Mario games! They need to stop playing it safe!"

And then they bitch about how they don't want to buy new IPs on the platform.

Gannd

Banned
Sorry Kamiya but if you wanted your game to sell, you shouldn't have made it Nintendo exclusive.
Thud post is stupid. The game wouldn't have been made without Nintendo. It's a niche product that wouldn't have sold on any other platform. Sorry but games from Platinum Games bombed in the PS3 and Xbox 360. The press is ignoring this game because it's different and they don't want different

I feel no sympathy for him at all.

They should have known what they got themselves into.

I kind of feel the same, really. How dare them agree to have Nintendo fund development of the game so all their employees can feed their families, and then have the nerve to think Nintendo would want to market the game to make some money back on it. What were they thinking?

Silly Platinum. Leave game development to the good folks on NeoGAF. We know this stuff™.

JDSN

Banned
I love the people bitter at PG for working with Nintendo. "You had it coming, you cheating cunts!". Bayonetta couldn't be made without Nintendo and this one is paid in full by then, dont pretend you are fans of PG and just admit thst the studio is just a bulletpoint you lost on your system wars slideshow of shite.

Coolwhip

Banned
Tell me where you're going to move the goalposts to and I'll be sure to lob a few balls in. Ratchet Tools over 2 million, Ratchet Crack over 1.4 million, LBP1 over 5 million, LBP2 probly closing in on 3 million these days, Journey appears to have sold well (although other than "broke PSN sales records" nothing quantifiable, and I think even Ni No Kuni almost made it to a cool mill, despite being ultra super niche. Bastion also has sold over 1.7 million (across all platforms, so deduce whatever percentage you think Steam/iOS/Chrome was...)

Thats all of course when we're discounting Minecraft XBLA because its convenient for your argument which is at what... 7-8 million these days? Oh and Naruto UNS2 is a million seller, but that doesnt count too I'm sure because of raisins, never mind that even shootbang/slashfuck games these days are colourful explosions of palettes.

It's called discussion, not moving goalposts. But whatever, your mind is set.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, Nintendo really seem to ignore it. But here here seem very excited about the idea of this game flopping to teach P* a lesson about working on a game for Nintendo's console instead of their team.

Radec

Thud post is stupid. The game wouldn't have been made without Nintendo. It's a niche product that wouldn't have sold on any other platform. Sorry but games from Platinum Games bombed in the PS3 and Xbox 360. The press is ignoring this game because it's different and they don't want different

The press is ignoring the game because it's a WiiU Exclusive without a "Mario" in the title.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It's called discussion, not moving goalposts. But whatever, your mind is set.

Yes my mind is set with the statistical evidence.

yeah, salty port begging kinda gettin outta hand here

Stop stirring it for once, I've barely seen any legit port begging in this topic. You were a good poster once, drop the mock indignation its gotten super old of late.

zoukka

The press is ignoring the game because it's a WiiU Exclusive without a "Mario" in the title.

No the bigger reason is that it's a platinum game, a new IP and a weird one at that. As much as I would like to see Nintendo put more effort into this game, I'm not going to kid myself and paint the potential bomba solely as Nintendo's fault.

Tobor

This is a bizarre opinion, and I've seen it stated multiple times in this thread. You realize niche games can sell incredibly well on other platforms, right? Saying with certainty it couldn't have sold anywhere but on Nintendo hardware is laughable.

etrain911

The game will bomb regardless of marketing efforts simply because, as Kamiya states himself, most people don't get wtf the game is about.
Game will probably be really good, but when people don't get your game at all, you're doing it wrong.

No marketing will make things a lot worse, but I have the feeling that even ads everywhere wouldn't make it sell that much.

Isn't that the job of marketing? So that consumers are informed on what a game is or is at least about?

To add to the conversation, Nintendo's lack of marketing is a huge issue. It adds so much to the rhetoric that Nintendo "constantly milks new IPs without making new ones" when they treat each new IP like a red-headed stepchild. It is a shame that great IPs like Pushmo/Crashmo are relegated to the eshop with minimal marketing, and when they DO release a brand new IP through retail they completely fail to inform their audience about it.

I love the people bitter at PG for working with Nintendo. "You had it coming, you cheating cunts!". Bayonetta couldn't be made without Nintendo and this one is paid in full by then, dont pretend you are fans of PG and just admit thst the studio is just a bulletpoint you lost on your system wars slideshow of shite.
Honestly the impression I'm getting in this thread seems to be coming more from Nintendo fans annoyed that PG's implying that Nintendo sucks at supporting their collaborative studios properly than other console-fanboys getting annoyed at PG over the whole Wii-U exclusivity thing.

Gannd

Banned
This is a bizarre opinion, and I've seen it stated multiple times in this thread. You realize niche games can sell incredibly well on other platforms, right? Saying with certainty it couldn't have sold anywhere but on Nintendo hardware is laughable.

Because Platinum Games have done such a great job on the Xbox and Playstation already?

And marketing, too.

To be fair, I think people are complaining because of zero marketing. Some of nintendo's decisions have actually had a factually negative impact on the game, such as the e3 "unveiling". Mostly everone here is being reasonable when saying that there needs to be awareness for this product a month before release, I believe.

Success is always relative. When Nintendo looks back to this game they will of course consider Wii U install base as one of the factors why it did the numbers it did.

Wonderful 101 isn't the kind of game that has to sell X million copies to be a success. That said without proper marketing they're just throwing this game away which is a shame.

If the game is more expensive than Bayonetta, it kind of does have to sell more than a million copies.

I'm not sure what anyone could really hope for with respect to TW101. Obviously Nintendo's method with new IP is the exact opposite of the established industry model (big magazine cover blowout with multiple hands-on and trailers between reveal and launch), but it's not like it and Pikmin 3 really have a huge chance in the West as full priced retail titles.

JDSN

Banned
Is not exclusive to nintendo. Same thing happens when things go sour with EA.

What do you mean with EA? Fuse is a focus tested piece of shit but its own devs admitted having a hand on that, or you mean like Titanfall?

Nintendo is paying them, delaying their games, funding their cancelled projects and as I've said before, they like working with certain devs even tho their games flop. You are misrepresenting Nintendo on this, they will fuck up the marketing im sure, but unless they go Bethesda and dont give them cash on some technicality, I think you are jumping to quick into conclusions.

And why was Bayonetta 1 the darling of the press?

How can the press talk about a game if there is nothing to talk? Nintendo is in charge of advertising the own exclusive games and the Nintendo Directs are like the worst way to do it. The target group is the small Nintendo hardcore crowd and it doesn't involve the press in any way.

Tenki

From what I know, Nintendo here in Europe is making a post-E3 with journalists, so they can play the upcoming games, The Wonderful 101 included.

Pikma

Banned
damn...might end up getting pikmin 3, 3D world & DKC in a B2G1 later and just try to day 1 W101, i like everything i've seen so far and if it does bomb terribly i'd feel a little bad for waiting.

this is really cool to see as well

I hadn't mentioned before (or maybe I did? I can't remember) because I want to find the right way to do it, giving it away just for the sake of it wouldn't be enough.

Pie and Beans

Because Platinum Games have done such a great job on the Xbox and Playstation already?

Metal Gear Rising a million seller, Bayonetta 1 a 2 million seller (or just skirting around it with digital releases this year). Big flops between Vanquish, Anarchy Reigns, but lets not sell the HD twins down the river.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Unique and quirky game's don't get love more news at 10.

Who's surprised by this?

I already had TW101 on preorder for months now but then I'm a sucker for unique and quirky game's.

Ah well...

Bayonetta couldn't be made without Nintendo and this one is paid in full by then, dont pretend you are fans of PG and just admit thst the studio is just a bulletpoint you lost on your system wars slideshow of shite.

Or... it goes to show that as much as people love Platinum that love is not strong enough to warrant a WiiU purchase. This is not on the User or Platinum.. is on Nintendo that made a system so unappealing that these can of exclusives don't sway the buyer.

I would like to believe that Platinum knows this is a new IP and on a nintendo platform and budgeted the game accordingly. If not, that's on them.

Brickhunt

I'm still building up my opinion on this, but for what I can see, I feel Nintendo has trouble with setting their priorities at marketing games, even it's 1st party ones, ever since the Wii.

They are usually promoting the game one month before it's release, but I feel there is a difference between promoting and hyping, and Nintendo has several lacked on how to Hype certain franchises.

Hype starts from the moment you officially reveal the game, and part of the job is building up the hype up until the release. I felt Metroid Prime 3 was victim of a bad promotion and awful hype building. It was almost treated like a random game instead of a flagship title ever since the official announcement at E3 2006, when Red Steel got to be show up in stage instead of Nintendo's own 1st party games. The same happened last year, when the Wonderful 101 was revealed in a post-conference Direct/trailer/whatever when a port of a one year old game got stage attention.

Which is another a point I do like do point out: Nintendo is severely overestimating it's Direct approach. It works nice has a third pillar of hype and marketing. But it's too directed at Nintendo fans and gaming enthusiasts. I have yet to research to back this, but I don't think the mainstream media gave much of a shit about Nintendo games during this E3, and I do like to think this had more than just Xbox One and PS4 overshadowing it.

Tobor

Weird niche stuff has done really well on both of those platforms, as well as Steam and iOS.

Sounds like Platinum Games is the problem, not the platform. Nintendo exclusivity makes it that much more difficult, of course.

Gannd

Banned
The real problem with a lot of people is that they only view Nintendo platforms as the "Nintendo Game Machine" so when a developer they like releasing a game on a Nintendo platform exclusively, they get mad because Nintendo systems are for Nintendo games, not other games. I remember from podcasts during the Wii era, in its height, we'd have people like Garnett Lee say that they would love to play a game but they don't want to play it on the Wii.

Even when Nintendo funds and publishes a game like the Wonderful 101, which for all intents and purposes Platinum is acting as a second party when it comes to the game, it's not viewed as a Nintendo game because Nintendo isn't developing it. Instead of adding it to the list of games they'd like to play on the Wii U, they bitch about it. I think a lot of people wouldn't buy it on the Xbox or Playstation, they are just unhappy that it's a Wii U exclusive. Platinum Games haven't done well on any platform, including the Playstation 2 which is the most successful platform.

Nintendo hasn't been marketing games until very near to the games release date. The game is still a month or two away from release (depending on the territory). I wish Nintendo would start spending more time marketing the game or talking about it but that also is a two way street. The press completely ignored it at two different E3s. They laughed it off when it was brought up as an example of a new IP from Nintendo. Nintendo cannot force the press to cover it. The Nintendo Direct is good but like someone said above, they should release a demo and do it early. Let people play it and then talk about it. A commercial or magazine ad isn't going to show people what this game is.

69wpm

To be fair, I think people are complaining because of zero marketing. Some of nintendo's decisions have actually had a factually negative impact on the game, such as the e3 "unveiling". Mostly everone here is being reasonable when saying that there needs to be awareness for this product a month before release, I believe.

True, but some people here think hyping up a game months, if not years, in advance is a good idea. It's not and anybody who has the slightest knowledge of marketing knows that. I don't mean that Nintendo does a good job at not marketing this game at all this late before it's release, but they still have time to do it and succeed, if they do it right:

I still don't know why they don't make great slogans for this game, something like: Be the leader of 100 super heroes and help them defeat whatever.

Use the Gamepad to control 100 super heroes and defeat the bloody aliens.

There are so many possibilities and I think people would love to be "a super hero" in control of other super heroes.

Top Bottom